[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: PGA Championship Thread  (Read 3186 times)

The Big East

• All American
Re: PGA Championship Thread
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2020, 06:23:09 AM »
Morikowa looks like one of the best ball strikers on tour . As the announcers said, pair that with a good week putting and he is going to be among the leaders often.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2020, 08:55:05 AM »
After what happened to Spieth, I'm a little leery of the "next big thing." But man, the way Morikawa strikes the ball... if his short game is even serviceable, he's gonna win a lot.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2020, 09:54:53 AM »
After what happened to Spieth, I'm a little leery of the "next big thing." But man, the way Morikawa strikes the ball... if his short game is even serviceable, he's gonna win a lot.

Yup.  And I think the most telling thing about Morikawa is that he doesn't miss cuts.   If he avoids injury and the yips, he'll just always be hanging around the top of the leaderboard becuase of that ball striking.  He reminds me a lot of a Davis Love III type but probably with more upside.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2020, 10:09:24 AM »
The kid is 23 years-old and a lot can change quickly.

Can he avoid injuries?

Does he have the desire to be great and put in the work for the next 15-20 years or does money change his approach?

If he gets married and has a family, does golf remain a priority?

Can he handle the demands and pressure of being the next big thing because he has that now.

Pro golf affords these guys great financial reward at a young age.  The truly great and legendary players want to compete and win on a weekly basis and grind all the time to be better.  The upside is there, will the desire and work ethic remain?
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2020, 10:30:10 AM »
No need to burden the kid with great expectations Yet.  He has great tools and a good head on his shoulder. The competition is so strong though , it is hard to see anyone breaking out from the pack of the top 10-15 players .

Looking forward to the US Open at Winged Foot. A very difficult course which requires players to be at the top of their games as the greens are set up with very small areas to shoot to.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2020, 02:53:05 PM »
Spieth chased distance and lost his tempo and feel.   Meet Ian Baker Finch.  But he is young and there is plenty of time to fix it.  Unless he and his wife have a bunch of kids in a hurry.   If that happens, I doubt he ever wins another major.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2020, 03:01:29 PM »
Spieth chased distance and lost his tempo and feel.   Meet Ian Baker Finch.  But he is young and there is plenty of time to fix it.  Unless he and his wife have a bunch of kids in a hurry.   If that happens, I doubt he ever wins another major.

David Duval
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2020, 03:09:16 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2020, 04:02:26 PM »
David Duval

Duval changed his body too much.   Also, he was always a deep thinker and once he got to the top he looked around and realized there was more elsewhere.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2020, 07:01:04 PM »

I thought Finch was just a notorious head case. Like yips on the first tee and spray shots. Didn’t think/know it was the result of chasing distance.

Spieth is so interesting cause he has a calm and fairy positive temperament in interviews. He’s one of my favorite to listen to after a bad round/disappointing tournament, but he’s just lost so much of his mental toughness and edge

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2020, 07:37:18 PM »
I thought Finch was just a notorious head case. Like yips on the first tee and spray shots. Didn’t think/know it was the result of chasing distance.

Spieth is so interesting cause he has a calm and fairy positive temperament in interviews. He’s one of my favorite to listen to after a bad round/disappointing tournament, but he’s just lost so much of his mental toughness and edge

Spieth’s issues are 100% mental.  IBF was the same.  Spieth always rode the edge I thought when it came to mental stability on the course.  A lot of indecisiveness at times and the constant toweling off of the grips and hands.  That’s not meant to be a knock, but I think there is definitely some issues that hurt his game when he’s playing for real versus range
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

feedback