[Today at 09:40:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jonathan Isaac  (Read 7019 times)

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
Re: Jonathan Isaac
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2020, 11:22:54 PM »
Yeah songs like My Country Tis of Thee deserve our respect. Nothing says America more than taking the British National Anthem, just changing the lyrics and hoping nobody notices.

Also you answered your own question, because it evokes emotion. When you question the patriotism of anyone who doesn't stand and remove their hat that's why you get mocked. When you expect people to be grateful for America but they grew up with stories of Jim crow or slavery, Japanese internment camps during WW2, stealing land from Indians and massive genocide etc. but can't grasp why those groups might not feel as patriotic as a white guy that's also why you get mocked. It has nothing to do with you a white man respecting the rights and liberties that Americans have fought and died for. It has everything to do with pointing out the inequalities and issues that have been brought upon those marginalized groups.

This is good.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2020, 11:55:17 PM »
Yeah songs like My Country Tis of Thee deserve our respect. Nothing says America more than taking the British National Anthem, just changing the lyrics and hoping nobody notices.

Don't forget, the Star Spangled Banner was also ripped off from Britain. Written to the tune of a drinking song from an English Gentlemen's club. The original was about drinking and womanizing.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2020, 10:45:57 AM »
Don't forget, the Star Spangled Banner was also ripped off from Britain. Written to the tune of a drinking song from an English Gentlemen's club. The original was about drinking and womanizing.

Did not know this. That's absolutely hilarious. Now I find it even funnier to hear these people going crazy to the anthem
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2020, 12:06:26 PM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anacreontic_Song

This is the original. I have it somewhere at home on a cassette I bought while on vacation in like Williamsburg or some other colonial place.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2020, 12:27:54 PM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2020, 12:35:48 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2MVYl8iy2Ic

And here is how it sounds.

How offensive didn't those pre-america brits know how disrespectful it is to all the Americans that would die for that song?!
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2020, 02:04:13 PM »
They're misplaced emotions.  The military personnel that I know think that the nationalism is for folks like you.  Not them.  They don't need a 'thank you for your service'.  That's lip service.  They need better access to health and mental care after they're done serving.  So instead of the lip service, fight for them where they need it.

I believe Drew Brees was truly ignorant of his stance.  He found himself learning a lot in a short period of time, and came to understand the reasoning for the protest.

so you must know "A LOT" of "military personnel"  i take it?  if this isn't anecdotal, i don't know what is.  so if you were to thank any one of your "military personnel" they would be offended?  and tell you to get them better access to healthcare?  never heard that one before and i have spoken to quite a few myself. 

btw, it wasn't until after 2016 that improvements were made to VA.  prior to that, many campaign and stump speech promises were made, but never kept.  since 2016, real improvements were realized.  and just so my source ain't criticized, how 'bout these apples?  this is more than lip service.  funny how none of your sources made you aware of recent healthcare improvements for vets. 

regarding drew brees-so your belief is the gold standard now? the ones disagreeing with him just happened to be the most vocal.  the silent majority will surprise you. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/03/opinion/trump-veterans-health-care.html
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2020, 02:12:01 PM »
And of course what the whole "kneeling is disrespectful to the military" trope ignores is that kneeling was suggested to Kaepernick by former Green Beret/Seahawks long snapper Nate Boyer.
Boyer, who did tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, suggested it as a way to protest while also being respectful to the flag and fellow veterans.

But let's be honest here. Most of those who get upset at the kneeling aren't really bothered by the kneeling. They're bothered by what the protest stands for and puts before them. As 4everwarriors made clear, they just don't want to hear it.

yes, let's be honest, yes it is about the kneeling.  unless one is unable to stand, sitting is ok, but not kneeling.  just as we would be upset if someone dropped trow, it ain't appropriate.  there have been certain forms of decorum for certain things.  as i asked, why can't they do their, whatever it is they're unhappy about thing before the game outside, during layup drills, after the game as others gather for a short prayer.  because they know they are going to get some riled up.  there has been a big drop off in respect for many things over the years.  just add this to it. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2020, 02:44:09 PM »
yes, let's be honest, yes it is about the kneeling.  unless one is unable to stand, sitting is ok, but not kneeling.  just as we would be upset if someone dropped trow, it ain't appropriate.  there have been certain forms of decorum for certain things.  as i asked, why can't they do their, whatever it is they're unhappy about thing before the game outside, during layup drills, after the game as others gather for a short prayer.  because they know they are going to get some riled up.  there has been a big drop off in respect for many things over the years.  just add this to it. 

This makes no sense.  Kneeling has never been seen as a sign of disrespect.  I mean, Christians kneel in church.  Saying sitting is OK, but not kneeling, is a distinction without a difference and is simply a way to manufacture outrage.

And again, why are you so concerned about the kneeling and not what the kneeling is about?  Get riled up about what matters.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2020, 04:37:54 PM »
yes, let's be honest, yes it is about the kneeling.  unless one is unable to stand, sitting is ok, but not kneeling.

This veteran's memorial is located at 614 E. Howard Ave in Milwaukee. I suggest you head over there to tear it down since it is so offensive to you:

There is a veterans memorial at a cemetery located about a mile from my house. This monument is displayed at the street side of that cemetery. If kneeling is so disrespectful, why is the soldier in the memorial kneeling? Should we tear this monument down because of the disrespect he is showing fallen veterans?

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2020, 04:57:54 PM »
You get riled up over a sign of reverence towards the flag but you don’t get riled up about systemic racism in the country the flag is for.

Says a lot.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2020, 04:58:23 PM »
Rocket didn't go to MU right?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2020, 05:09:59 PM »
Rocket didn't go to MU right?

He did. Guru didn't.

Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2020, 06:07:03 PM »

This makes no sense.  Kneeling has never been seen as a sign of disrespect.  I mean, Christians kneel in church.  Saying sitting is OK, but not kneeling, is a distinction without a difference and is simply a way to manufacture outrage.

And again, why are you so concerned about the kneeling and not what the kneeling is about?  Get riled up about what matters.

dude, you are a smart guy!  there is a certain decorum that has surrounded our national anthem.  please reread my post, but a little more slowly.  unless one is unable to stand i said.  i believe you are being intentionally obtuse just to keep this conversation going and to keep your pals stoked.  show me when it became proper(once again to be clear, unless one is disabled) to kneel for the national anthem.  show me when it was proper to kneel when a judge entered the courtroom.  during mass there are times when it is suggested to kneel during portions of mass.  do you stand during the priest's sermon?  do you stand and turn your back on the bride as she walks up the aisle?  there is a time and a place to protest.  they can do their protest thing any other time during the game.  hell, kneel when the opposing player posts him up or launches a three, kneel your ass off, but in my opinion, during the national anthem is wrong 

i am not concerned, but it is my belief that kneeling for the national anthem is a sign of disrespect.  is that ok for me to believe that or do i have to shut up and obey.  do i need to be sent to a "re-programing school"?  get over it sully!  (i believe gasp!) there might be even more people agreeing with me

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2020, 06:13:40 PM »
dude, you are a smart guy!  there is a certain decorum that has surrounded our national anthem.  please reread my post, but a little more slowly.  unless one is unable to stand i said.  i believe you are being intentionally obtuse just to keep this conversation going and to keep your pals stoked.  show me when it became proper(once again to be clear, unless one is disabled) to kneel for the national anthem.  show me when it was proper to kneel when a judge entered the courtroom.  during mass there are times when it is suggested to kneel during portions of mass.  do you stand during the priest's sermon?  do you stand and turn your back on the bride as she walks up the aisle?  there is a time and a place to protest.  they can do their protest thing any other time during the game.  hell, kneel when the opposing player posts him up or launches a three, kneel your ass off, but in my opinion, during the national anthem is wrong 

i am not concerned, but it is my belief that kneeling for the national anthem is a sign of disrespect.  is that ok for me to believe that or do i have to shut up and obey.  do i need to be sent to a "re-programing school"?  get over it sully!  (i believe gasp!) there might be even more people agreeing with me

Rocket you can believe what you want but I don’t give a flying f*ck how many agree with you.

And you continue to breathlessly go on an on about disrespecting the flag, which is an inanimate object, and not about about why the protests are happening. 

Says a lot.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mufan22

• Walk-On
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2020, 06:14:10 PM »
Longtime reader on here. Big MU fan. Shouldn’t have even bothered posting. Will go back to my invisible status. Sorry, all.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:42:55 PM by mufan22 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2020, 06:18:10 PM »
You get riled up over a sign of reverence towards the flag but you don’t get riled up about systemic racism in the country the flag is for.

Says a lot.

quit trying to conflate. 

yes babyblue, i went to MU!  wtf is your question supposed to mean?  so all the MU guys who believe as i do are stupid?  aren't worthy of having an MU diploma?  i spent 8 years there moron! my dad went there.  i sent my 2 sons there.  is that ok?  can you believe that?  i am embarrassing a liberal?   

you(bbj) must be the one who sent me the cowardly pm accusing me of being the biggest racist and embarrassed that i went to MU.  either you or one of your comrades...  not surprised

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2020, 06:18:28 PM »
Pretty bold for your first post, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2020, 06:24:43 PM »
Rocket, fan22, you both got your insults in, so drop it now.

Pretty bold for your first post, aina?

It is bold. Registered in 2011 and this is the first thing he deemed worthwhile to post about. If that's the impression rocket is giving people, rocket should perhaps reflect on that.

mufan22

• Walk-On
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2020, 06:34:36 PM »
Blank
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:42:19 PM by mufan22 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2020, 06:45:15 PM »

Protest when it is convenient for the people who the protests do not affect, or who benefit from nothing changing.

Perfect.

What a terrible inconvenience. You have to see people kneel during the singing of a song. The horror.

Also, the irony of you telling people when and how they should be protesting and then, in the same post, getting all hot and bothered because you think people are telling you what to think is hilarious.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:47:34 PM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2020, 06:49:44 PM »
So, if Uncle Joe loses in November are you and all those of like mindedness going to continue to bellyache for the next 4 years or will you accept that democracy actually works, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2020, 06:53:13 PM »
So, if Uncle Joe loses in November are you and all those of like mindedness going to continue to bellyache for the next 4 years or will you accept that democracy actually works, hey?

I’m positive the MAGAs will handle it with grace and class when the savior of this great country leaves us after one term.

Are we still thanking Obama for all the issues Trump has brought us, 4 years after Obama left the White House?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:58:15 PM by BLM »

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2020, 07:09:58 PM »

It’s not really democracy in the truest sense, but he is clearly the President. And I will continue to speak out against him.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2020, 07:14:52 PM »

Clearly not politics, right?

feedback