[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jonathan Isaac  (Read 7017 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Jonathan Isaac
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2020, 01:59:38 PM »
Why on earth are we singing the national anthem before every sporting event in the first place?

IIRC, its roots trace back to the Cold War. Forced patriotism to help unite the country against the Communists.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2020, 02:02:16 PM »
We need to unify around the realization that our national anthem sucks

Why do you hate America?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2020, 02:16:47 PM »
Frankly, I have no interest in actors and actresses, athletes, and anyone else who feels their unsolicited opinion needs to be heard, pontificating and dominating the media. I do what I can do to oppose such behavior. Namely, I hit them in the pocketbook, hey?

Shut up and dribble, hey doc?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2020, 02:17:44 PM »
Why do you hate America?

First, I don't think disliking our anthem for having no musically redeeming qualities speaks to disliking America, and that's before you consider FSK's problematic legacy. It's no different than saying our flag is stupid (it's not - it's awesome - though this does the trick for me MUCH more):

Second, I am of the belief that staunch defense of artificial constructs such as the flag, the pledge of allegiance or the national anthem as intrinsically patriotic is misguided and detracts from the ways in which those fake idols can be used as battering rams against people who wish to see some sort of change, progress etc, whatever arena in which those beliefs may fall.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2020, 02:27:54 PM »
Where have I remotely demanded anyone not be permitted to exercise their rights?  Nowhere. 

I have an opinion about anthem kneelers.  I have quite a ways to travel to get to a demand.

But you’re just being obtuse to get your gotcha on me.

And people have opinions about those who go out of their way to perform their opinions about anthem kneelers. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you understand that, and also thank you for being transparent about who you are so we can all form our opinions about you more easily.

Unless this is a massive troll, in which case, you got me... but also, read the room man.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2020, 03:24:07 PM »
IIRC, its roots trace back to the Cold War. Forced patriotism to help unite the country against the Communists.

Further back than that. It was popularized with the 1918 World Series between the Cubs and Red Sox, though there were incidents of it before that. The Cubs band played it in the Game 1 seventh inning stretch and it was wildly popular with the players and fans. Not to be outdone, the Sox gave wounded veterans free tickets to Game 6 & played The Star Spangled Banner during the seventh inning stretch to honor them. It became more common then and was named the national anthem in 1931.

It didn't become an every game thing until World War II to boost patriotism in the war effort. Since then, it's been played pretty uniformly across all American sports.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2020, 03:43:42 PM »
First, I don't think disliking our anthem for having no musically redeeming qualities speaks to disliking America, and that's before you consider FSK's problematic legacy. It's no different than saying our flag is stupid (it's not - it's awesome - though this does the trick for me MUCH more):

Second, I am of the belief that staunch defense of artificial constructs such as the flag, the pledge of allegiance or the national anthem as intrinsically patriotic is misguided and detracts from the ways in which those fake idols can be used as battering rams against people who wish to see some sort of change, progress etc, whatever arena in which those beliefs may fall.

https://twitter.com/nbc4i/status/931605656284536833?s=21

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2020, 03:46:02 PM »
There is a veterans memorial at a cemetery located about a mile from my house. This monument is displayed at the street side of that cemetery. If kneeling is so disrespectful, why is the soldier in the memorial kneeling? Should we tear this monument down because of the disrespect he is showing fallen veterans?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2020, 03:52:18 PM »
A country’s anthem is meaningless unless to demonstrate one’s honor for that country.  So whether his intention was to honor the flag, that’s what his choosing stand for it accomplished. A nation’s flag is a symbol of that country.  A person’s actions when a country’s anthem is played signifies what’s in their heart, mind, and soul, good or bad.

So those Marquette fans who keep their hats on their heads as they stand in the queue to purchase their beers at the Fiserv when the anthem is played are heartless, mindless, and soulless?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2020, 04:01:11 PM »
So those Marquette fans who keep their hats on their heads as they stand in the queue to purchase their beers at the Fiserv when the anthem is played are heartless, mindless, and soulless?

And thirsty.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2020, 04:09:55 PM »
Good for him.   I applaud him exercising his first amendment rights to peacefully stand apart.

Brother Tower, may I make a slight modification to your belief.

The First Amendment outlines the relationship between a citizen and the government. We forget that one has NO First Amendment rights when it comes to any entity other than the government.

If my employer, for example, doesn't like something I said or did, there is no protection based on the First Amendment that I have against my employer taking action that might not be in my best interests. If my action damages the brand, affects our ability to sell to our customers or generally is something my leadership just finds repugnant, they can fire me. They have to honor provisions of any contract but you can't cite the First Amendment as a requirement that your job has to retain you.

Regardless of your position on Colin Kapernick, what the NFL has done since doesn't break any laws. It might have hurt the brand with certain target market segments, but the NFL didn't act illegally.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2020, 04:18:44 PM »

+1,000
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2020, 04:20:46 PM »
there has been an established decorum for years with regard to our national anthem, God bless America, the pledge of the allegiance and what have you.  for those who desire to change that decorum is trolling.  they know it is going to evoke emotions.  why do they choose to do whatever it is they do during the national anthem?  why not do it during the layup drill, before the national anthem, after games. 

i am actually surprised by the number of people we have on this board who can't seem to understand those who have strong patriotic emotions and gratitude toward those who gave the ultimate sacrifice allowing us to have the freedoms we have.  too many take for granted the privileges we have that many other countries don't have.  then, when some voice their patriotism and dissent upon those who "disrespect" a long held tradition they are mocked and/or minimalized.  what's next?  people are getting destroyed for holding traditional views on this and that's just wrong.  just ask drew brees 
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2020, 04:26:06 PM »
there has been an established decorum for years with regard to our national anthem, God bless America, the pledge of the allegiance and what have you.  for those who desire to change that decorum is trolling.  they know it is going to evoke emotions.  why do they choose to do whatever it is they do during the national anthem?  why not do it during the layup drill, before the national anthem, after games. 

i am actually surprised by the number of people we have on this board who can't seem to understand those who have strong patriotic emotions and gratitude toward those who gave the ultimate sacrifice allowing us to have the freedoms we have.  too many take for granted the privileges we have that many other countries don't have.  then, when some voice their patriotism and dissent upon those who "disrespect" a long held tradition they are mocked and/or minimalized.  what's next?  people are getting destroyed for holding traditional views on this and that's just wrong.  just ask drew brees 

Kneeling for the anthem has nothing to do with the military.

And why do they do it during the national anthem?  Because you wouldn't pay attention otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 04:29:58 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2020, 04:28:38 PM »

Brees took flack because he made those comments during a tinderbox of a situation when his teammates were feeing especially vulnerable.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2020, 04:31:39 PM »
Also, using “dishonoring tradition” is disingenuous BS. It used to be tradition to sacrifice humans for a good harvest.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2020, 04:32:03 PM »

They're misplaced emotions.  The military personnel that I know think that the nationalism is for folks like you.  Not them.  They don't need a 'thank you for your service'.  That's lip service.  They need better access to health and mental care after they're done serving.  So instead of the lip service, fight for them where they need it.

I believe Drew Brees was truly ignorant of his stance.  He found himself learning a lot in a short period of time, and came to understand the reasoning for the protest.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2020, 04:34:27 PM »
there has been an established decorum for years with regard to our national anthem, God bless America, the pledge of the allegiance and what have you.  for those who desire to change that decorum is trolling.

As usual, you are the one that is trolling. Look at the picture I shared above and tell me why kneeling is okay to memorialize soldiers but not as a silent, respectful protest.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2020, 05:01:09 PM »
And thirsty.

Good to see your sense of humor is back. You’ve been awfully serious lately.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:32:52 PM by Jockey »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2020, 05:10:29 PM »

Yeah songs like My Country Tis of Thee deserve our respect. Nothing says America more than taking the British National Anthem, just changing the lyrics and hoping nobody notices.

Also you answered your own question, because it evokes emotion. When you question the patriotism of anyone who doesn't stand and remove their hat that's why you get mocked. When you expect people to be grateful for America but they grew up with stories of Jim crow or slavery, Japanese internment camps during WW2, stealing land from Indians and massive genocide etc. but can't grasp why those groups might not feel as patriotic as a white guy that's also why you get mocked. It has nothing to do with you a white man respecting the rights and liberties that Americans have fought and died for. It has everything to do with pointing out the inequalities and issues that have been brought upon those marginalized groups.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2020, 06:45:30 PM »
It used to be tradition to sacrifice humans for a good harvest.
My blackberries and my okra are booming this year. Now you know why.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2020, 07:00:28 PM »
As usual, you are the one that is trolling. Look at the picture I shared above and tell me why kneeling is okay to memorialize soldiers but not as a silent, respectful protest.

And of course what the whole "kneeling is disrespectful to the military" trope ignores is that kneeling was suggested to Kaepernick by former Green Beret/Seahawks long snapper Nate Boyer.
Boyer, who did tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, suggested it as a way to protest while also being respectful to the flag and fellow veterans.

But let's be honest here. Most of those who get upset at the kneeling aren't really bothered by the kneeling. They're bothered by what the protest stands for and puts before them. As 4everwarriors made clear, they just don't want to hear it.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2020, 07:07:53 PM »
He’s on topic on a message board. Hardly said anything outlandish.

Just tongue in cheek since he needed to give his opinion that how he doesn't care about the player's opinions.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 07:11:54 PM by BM1090 »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2020, 09:11:46 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:15:14 PM by buckchuckler »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2020, 09:30:37 PM »

But let's be honest here. Most of those who get upset at the kneeling aren't really bothered by the kneeling. They're bothered by what the protest stands for and puts before them.

And who's doing it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow