[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Standby Generators  (Read 1857 times)

Coleman

• All American
Standby Generators
« on: July 28, 2020, 12:09:25 PM »
We lost power for 36 hours earlier this month after a big storm. My neighbor has a whole-house standby Generac and didn't miss a beat. I had major envy and would like to shop around.

Been doing some looking and it looks like Kohler, Generac, and Briggs & Stratton are three of the most popular brands, at least in the big box stores near me (crazy they are all Wisconsin companies).

Briggs & Stratton seems to be a bit cheaper than the other two, so I am leaning that way. My home is only 2300 sq ft (18 circuits), so not huge, so I am considering this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Briggs-Stratton-12-000-Watt-Automatic-Air-Cooled-Standby-Generator-with-200-Amp-Whole-House-Transfer-Switch-040626/311721244

We have natural gas which could hook up directly to the generator. If I could get everything, including installation, for under $5k, I would strongly consider it.

If we are careful to not run much besides the central A/C or furnace (depending on time of year), refrigerator, etc. and only use lights on rooms we are in, would this be enough to keep us going? I'm just looking for something that will cover the essentials, not streaming movies on TVs in every room.

Has anyone done this? Is Generac worth paying an extra grand? Do I need a bigger generator?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:12:03 PM by Coleman »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Standby Generators
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 12:10:50 PM »
Briggs is in bankruptcy.  While I am sure profitable assets will make it to a long-term owner, you may want to research this since it is a big purchase and warranty is important.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 02:17:12 PM »
After Hurricanes Irene & Sandy a whole lot of people around here installed generators and large double propane tanks.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 03:14:34 PM »
We have a smaller Honda.  It won't run your whole house, but it is enough for the essential stuff, which in Illinois was our sump pump and fridge.  I think it cost us about a thousand bucks (but it was awhile ago).

The big advantage it has is that it is super quiet.  A lot of state and national campgrounds have a "no generator" rule, and we will put it on an extension cord about 50 feet out into the woods, and you can't even hear it.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 04:14:24 PM »
We have a smaller Honda.  It won't run your whole house, but it is enough for the essential stuff, which in Illinois was our sump pump and fridge.  I think it cost us about a thousand bucks (but it was awhile ago).

The big advantage it has is that it is super quiet.  A lot of state and national campgrounds have a "no generator" rule, and we will put it on an extension cord about 50 feet out into the woods, and you can't even hear it.

The weekend before last, we had a major outage -- 26 hours. Fortunately, a friend of ours let us borrow their little Honda generator. Plugged in the fridge, the modem, a few lights and the cellphones. I came away VERY impressed.

I looked it up on Amazon and it was about $1,100. We probably won't be living here beyond 2021, and we have this friend who says we can borrow theirs anytime (they live about 10 minutes away from us, so odds are we won't have outages at the same time), so we aren't inclined to get one. But if we had 5 years to go here and/or didn't have such easy access to one, I'd get one of these for sure. Great peace of mind.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 08:14:52 PM »
We lost power for 36 hours earlier this month after a big storm. My neighbor has a whole-house standby Generac and didn't miss a beat. I had major envy and would like to shop around.

Been doing some looking and it looks like Kohler, Generac, and Briggs & Stratton are three of the most popular brands, at least in the big box stores near me (crazy they are all Wisconsin companies).

Briggs & Stratton seems to be a bit cheaper than the other two, so I am leaning that way. My home is only 2300 sq ft (18 circuits), so not huge, so I am considering this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Briggs-Stratton-12-000-Watt-Automatic-Air-Cooled-Standby-Generator-with-200-Amp-Whole-House-Transfer-Switch-040626/311721244

We have natural gas which could hook up directly to the generator. If I could get everything, including installation, for under $5k, I would strongly consider it.

If we are careful to not run much besides the central A/C or furnace (depending on time of year), refrigerator, etc. and only use lights on rooms we are in, would this be enough to keep us going? I'm just looking for something that will cover the essentials, not streaming movies on TVs in every room.

Has anyone done this? Is Generac worth paying an extra grand? Do I need a bigger generator?

I used to sell Generac generators a long time ago and they were very dependable.  I’d be leery of Briggs.  Kohler stuff involving engines was always sketchy but that was 20 years ago.  MU82 mentioned Honda and they were always considered dependable.  My experience with Generac was always good as long as you got the right size for what you need. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 09:43:01 PM »
https://www.cat.com/en_US/consumer/home.html

Most utilities have not invested in generation or distribution upgrades for years... at all.
In some states / regions they are even offering subsidies for homeowners to buy backup generators, especially if they are efficient such as solar or storage or gas.

My recommendation is to get a fully engineered installation with automatic switching and permanent connection.  It's well worth it because when you are away you'll still be able to power freezer, fridge, home security, etc.

For a small house I'd look seriously at a battery system because it's much cleaner and easier but they provide limited duration of power so in most cases gas is the best option.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 10:25:06 PM »
get a Honda and call it a day.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 10:25:48 PM »
I was out of power for two weeks with hurricane Sandy.  Shower at the YMCA, water from the American Legion.
Out numerous times for hours, days or a week.

Therefore, time for serious back-up power.

I got the smallest (big sucker) water cooled KOHLER.

Three propane tanks, cement pad, automatic transfer switch, gives me peace of mind.

Granted I'm getting old, but I intend to remain in my home for the duration.
I like quiet, biweekly test run, and cool operation.

No diesal going bad, gasoline laying around, or running around turning stuff on or off.
I have an all electric home with ceiling fans and no central air. 

The reason it took me 15 years to finally install a unit was that it was go all out or deal with the hassels of small units.
Small units, along with fuel problems, run hot, burn oil (as high as a quart per day) and are very loud because of the cooling fans.

Good luck, there is no easy answer.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 11:27:06 PM »
We run naked in both Florida and Illinois. Am probably more concerned about Florida than Illinois because if a hurricane hits, we could be without power for up to a week, depending on how bad things are. But there is no natural gas on the island on which we live and I doubt the HOA would allow a diesel or propane tank.

Good news is we are not there during hurricane season.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 11:13:51 AM »
You all should consider a combo of solar and wind, combined with a microgrid/battery storage.  Also consider a small biomass generation set up.  Burn your garbage, dog poop, etc, and  make 'lectricity.

You can always sell back to the utilities excess power. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 01:22:28 PM »
You all should consider a combo of solar and wind, combined with a microgrid/battery storage.  Also consider a small biomass generation set up.  Burn your garbage, dog poop, etc, and  make 'lectricity.

I would love to do this.  I actually plan to get solar when our roof gets replaced in the next couple of years.  Hopefully add battery storage at the same time.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 01:47:10 PM »
Also consider a small biomass generation set up.  Burn your garbage, dog poop, etc, and  make 'lectricity.

Curious - do you do this?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »
I was kinda kidding around about that for backup energy, but for a longer term solution that makes you less dependent on the grid, it can be a good long term play.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 01:49:46 PM »
I was kinda kidding around about that for backup energy, but for a longer term solution that makes you less dependent on the grid, it can be a good long term play.

Probably won't propel you to the top of the 'America's Best Neighbor' award

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 01:54:56 PM »
Curious - do you do this?

We support commercial stuff.  Mostly in CA and the PNW.  In CA, regs don't allow for incineration, so new biomass technology from Europe is becoming a bigger play for commercial power gen.  CA regs make it profitable to generate and sell back to the grid.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 08:38:37 AM »

Yeah, my nanny state HOA in Florida would love the idea of me burning cocker spaniel poop in my back yard. The empowered snitches in our neighborhood would feel like it was Christmas morning.

I’ll rely on Florida Power, thank you very much.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 09:11:23 AM »
Tesla solar roof + Tesla power wall + wind turbine/windmill

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 10:27:08 AM »
Yeah, my nanny state HOA in Florida would love the idea of me burning cocker spaniel poop in my back yard. The empowered snitches in our neighborhood would feel like it was Christmas morning.

I’ll rely on Florida Power, thank you very much.

Something I don't understand, living under a HOA.

There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of conservative people willing to live under the regulations of home owners associations, while complaining of government regulations.

It is the price paid for living in a gated community.  Gate or no gate, it is not really America. 

I feel your pain and agree that burning poop would not cut it.

There is a t.v. commercial for Allstate with an HOA lady cutting down a mailbox.  It must be a common problem.

Had a friend who was president of local HOA.  Half the residenc wanted to sleep late as they were retired.  Half the residence wanted the snow removed early as they had to get to work.  He moved to a small farm in Pennsilvanis, he couldn't take it anymore.   

Living under a HOA would be an interesting subject.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 10:48:05 AM »

There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of conservative people willing to live under the regulations of home owners associations, while complaining of government regulations.

It is the price paid for living in a gated community.  Gate or no gate, it is not really America. 

There is a t.v. commercial for Allstate with an HOA lady cutting down a mailbox.  It must be a common problem.

Had a friend who was president of local HOA.  Half the residenc wanted to sleep late as they were retired.  Half the residence wanted the snow removed early as they had to get to work.  He moved to a small farm in Pennsilvanis, he couldn't take it anymore.   

I think it is silly as well, but most of the homes we looked at on Orchid Island are in HOAs.

The commercial is from Geico and it hit very close to home. The HOA lady's name is Cynthia and she was enforcing flower, garbage can and mailbox standards in the commercial. In our HOA, we overthrew leadership two years ago because the flower Nazi, ironically, Cynthia, was walking the neighborhood enforcing de facto flower standards and hunting down violations of Association rules. We were written up six times in the first two years we lived there because of "our" Cynthia and her clipboard.

Our Cynthia reportedly was extremely embarrassed by the Geico ad, which my wife and I adore.

We have another a-hole in our community (an ex-cop from Long Island who forgot he retired) who drives around at night looking for pick-up trucks parked in driveways (an absolute no-no) and cars parked on the streets. He "found" two visiting nurses whose cars were parked in front of homes where the nurses were additional caregivers for terminally ill residents. The dying residents were written up Cynthia style.

A couple of years ago, the Florida Grocery Mogul (Publix) wanted to build a grocery store less than 1,000 feet from our home. We begged and implored our HOA to oppose the grocery mogul's plans. Our President at the time (since deposed) was indecisive. I stepped in and went to the local media expressing rage about the grocery mogul's action. It spurred action by several nearby communities and flushed our our President. She tried, unsuccessfully, to tell me that I had inappropriately discussed the matter, suggesting I surrendered my First Amendment free speech rights when I moved in. Uhh, not quite, Ma'am.

What I respect about the HOA is the ability to maintain our neighborhood. We have 131 residences in our community (about 1/2 mile west of the Atlantic Ocean) and probably 2/3rds are snowbirds (including us). The HOA makes sure the lawns are cut, the irrigation system works, the roads and sidewalks are maintained and the pools/work-out room are kept up. The HOA paints our home every six years and ensures a continuity of appearance within the community (no hot pink homes!).

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 11:23:37 AM »

HOAs are a spectrum. Mine is the most lassaiz faire HOA ever. There is an annual (not monthly) due of $40, and it is just to help maintain the entrances to the neighborhood...signs, flowers, etc. That is it. There are no rules or regulations. It is just to keep the public-facing areas of the neighborhood looking nice.

Obviously, it runs the gamut to the most strict rules, but it just depends on the HOA. You have to read the bylaws before buying.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2020, 01:13:17 PM »
I think it is silly as well, but most of the homes we looked at on Orchid Island are in HOAs.

The commercial is from Geico and it hit very close to home. The HOA lady's name is Cynthia and she was enforcing flower, garbage can and mailbox standards in the commercial. In our HOA, we overthrew leadership two years ago because the flower Nazi, ironically, Cynthia, was walking the neighborhood enforcing de facto flower standards and hunting down violations of Association rules. We were written up six times in the first two years we lived there because of "our" Cynthia and her clipboard.

Our Cynthia reportedly was extremely embarrassed by the Geico ad, which my wife and I adore.

We have another a-hole in our community (an ex-cop from Long Island who forgot he retired) who drives around at night looking for pick-up trucks parked in driveways (an absolute no-no) and cars parked on the streets. He "found" two visiting nurses whose cars were parked in front of homes where the nurses were additional caregivers for terminally ill residents. The dying residents were written up Cynthia style.

A couple of years ago, the Florida Grocery Mogul (Publix) wanted to build a grocery store less than 1,000 feet from our home. We begged and implored our HOA to oppose the grocery mogul's plans. Our President at the time (since deposed) was indecisive. I stepped in and went to the local media expressing rage about the grocery mogul's action. It spurred action by several nearby communities and flushed our our President. She tried, unsuccessfully, to tell me that I had inappropriately discussed the matter, suggesting I surrendered my First Amendment free speech rights when I moved in. Uhh, not quite, Ma'am.

What I respect about the HOA is the ability to maintain our neighborhood. We have 131 residences in our community (about 1/2 mile west of the Atlantic Ocean) and probably 2/3rds are snowbirds (including us). The HOA makes sure the lawns are cut, the irrigation system works, the roads and sidewalks are maintained and the pools/work-out room are kept up. The HOA paints our home every six years and ensures a continuity of appearance within the community (no hot pink homes!).

White person solutions for White people problems.