collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:02:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 College Football Thread  (Read 90275 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 2020-21 College Football Thread
« Reply #850 on: January 01, 2021, 09:37:17 PM »
A lot of that was garbage time by ND. When Bama went up 28-7 in the 3rd, they were out gaining ND 380 to 216. That’s quite lopsided.  Time of possession is less significant given one team was ripping off efficient scoring drives while the other was using lots of clock with largely fruitless drives.

Take away a 4th quarter where Bama was just trying to get out to the title game without injury or other damage and Brian Kelly was furiously calling timeouts and trying to score, it was incredibly lopsided

Surprising First half tonight for sure, OSU has looked sharp and aggressive and Clemson looks surprised at their effort.

HATE the targeting call there. He was lined up for a perfect form tackle until Fields adjusted out of nowhere. Makes it REALLY hard on the defender

Brian Kelly was “furiously calling timeouts” in the second half? I mean, he used all 3 of his allotted TOS, which is normal for teams that are behind. He lost by 17, had one TD called back on an illegal shift (which had nothing to do with the play) and the game ended with ND in the red zone. If the game had ended 31-21 or 31-28 I’d agree that the score didn’t reflect what actually happened. 31-14 (or 38-21, say) was about right.

Disagree on the targeting call. #47 clearly lowered his head and stuck his helmet in Field’s ribs. And it’s not the first time he’s been tossed for a cheap shot.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #851 on: January 01, 2021, 09:38:18 PM »
Replay showed the ball was deflected slightly by a lineman, so I won’t hold that one against him.

With Clemson scoring, if they can get a stop, they cannnake it a game. Big “if,” though.

Definitley tipped but that throw was his usual problem in big games, ill advised. 3 defenders down there. Maybe if it wasnt tipped its out the end zone but thats the risk in even trying.

Hes played well though. Will be interesting to see if this changes his personal momentum and we get a game.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #852 on: January 01, 2021, 09:40:39 PM »
Brian Kelly was “furiously calling timeouts” in the second half? I mean, he used all 3 of his allotted TOS, which is normal for teams that are behind. He lost by 17, had one TD called back on an illegal shift (which had nothing to do with the play) and the game ended with ND in the red zone. If the game had ended 31-21 or 31-28 I’d agree that the score didn’t reflect what actually happened. 31-14 (or 38-21, say) was about right.

Disagree on the targeting call. #47 clearly lowered his head and stuck his helmet in Field’s ribs. And it’s not the first time he’s been tossed for a cheap shot.

They called TO with 1 second left to get 1 more chance. Bama sent a message by sending pressure right into Book's grill.

Wags is right, this game was destruction and it was only close because Bama call off the dogs. I don't think Harris even played after the opening drive of the 4th and up 31-7.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #853 on: January 01, 2021, 09:45:34 PM »
This Clemson D is really, really, really bad

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #854 on: January 01, 2021, 09:54:30 PM »

Surprising First half tonight for sure, OSU has looked sharp and aggressive and Clemson looks surprised at their effort.

Wags

I generally agree with your insights on sports (and the world in general). but to me Clemson has not looked “surprised” at Ohio State’s “effort”. They’ve looked entirely overwhelmed and outclassed. 4+ minutes left in the 3rd Q, OSU has gained 538 yards and scored 6 TDs. But for a tipped pass it would be 7.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #855 on: January 01, 2021, 09:57:39 PM »
Northwestern had the best defense in college football.

What a strange sentence to utter.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #856 on: January 01, 2021, 10:00:33 PM »
Game ova

MU82

• All American
« Reply #857 on: January 01, 2021, 10:06:30 PM »
Clemson is down 21 and has the best QB in the history of mankind. Why do they keep running?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #858 on: January 01, 2021, 10:08:40 PM »
What a terrible sequence by Dabo. Down 21, third quarter winding down, their last 4 plays:

QB power run (fumble)
RB toss
QB keeper
RB toss

I’m pretty confident the game outcome is decided, but WTF is that?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #859 on: January 01, 2021, 10:10:34 PM »
What a terrible sequence by Dabo. Down 21, third quarter winding down, their last 4 plays:

QB power run (fumble)
RB toss
QB keeper
RB toss

And now they just punted on 4th and 6.

Its over regardless, but that legit just ended it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #860 on: January 01, 2021, 10:13:54 PM »
Wags

I generally agree with your insights on sports (and the world in general). but to me Clemson has not looked “surprised” at Ohio State’s “effort”. They’ve looked entirely overwhelmed and outclassed. 4+ minutes left in the 3rd Q, OSU has gained 538 yards and scored 6 TDs. But for a tipped pass it would be 7.

Maybe effort isn’t the right word, but I think they didn’t seem prepared for how completely on point OSU has been. OSU looked like shells of themselves down the stretch and have had tons adversity among their roster.

Thanks for the kind words otherwise  8-)

QB power run (fumble)
RB toss
QB keeper
RB toss

If I was a Clemson fan I would be LIVID. Lawrence is a good runner, but he’s not Michael Vick. Yet they are trying to rely on his legs more than his arm. It’s baffling. That lasts possession of the 3rd looked like a white flag. That was some of the stupidest play calling for time and situation I’ve ever seen. Slow developing QB run and an option on 2nd and 3rd and long.

Jacksonville fans have to be nauseous

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #861 on: January 01, 2021, 10:16:23 PM »
I’m selfish in that I wanted to see Lawrence try to comeback here. He hasn’t really had to do that much in college, and I was curious how he’d manage things. Oh well, complete a$$ kicking.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #862 on: January 01, 2021, 10:18:39 PM »
OSU with 611 yards, 7 TDs with a whole quarter left. Most dominating offensive performance in BCS history.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #863 on: January 01, 2021, 10:30:04 PM »

If I was a Clemson fan I would be LIVID.

If I was a Clemson fan I would be EMBARRASSED.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #864 on: January 01, 2021, 10:42:16 PM »
I’m selfish in that I wanted to see Lawrence try to comeback here. He hasn’t really had to do that much in college, and I was curious how he’d manage things. Oh well, complete a$$ kicking.

He’s still a lights out prospect and this won’t affect his draft stock. But he’s hasn’t been under pressure like this all year and he’s handled it TERRIBLE. Dude is like a deer in the headlights. It’s wild. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #865 on: January 01, 2021, 10:51:52 PM »
He’s still a lights out prospect and this won’t affect his draft stock. But he’s hasn’t been under pressure like this all year and he’s handled it TERRIBLE. Dude is like a deer in the headlights. It’s wild.

Shell Shock makes all QBs look bad. His O line let him down.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #866 on: January 01, 2021, 11:12:53 PM »
Think a team that has played 6 games is fresher than a team who has played 11?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #867 on: January 01, 2021, 11:15:01 PM »
Think a team that has played 6 games is fresher than a team who has played 11?

Fresher, sure, but they were also disadvantaged by having missed an incredible number of practices and never having a chance to really get into a rhythm. It has been a strange season, but I think the games played thing is a wash.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #868 on: January 01, 2021, 11:30:36 PM »
Just now heard snippets of Brian Kelly's post-game presser.

He actually seemed surprised and upset that the evil media was asking about his team's struggles in these playoff games.

I actually thought they were pretty nice to him. They should have asked, "Coach, how humiliating is it that you get your arses kicked every single time you get to the playoffs, over and over and over again?"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #869 on: January 01, 2021, 11:36:41 PM »

He actually seemed surprised and upset that the evil media was asking about his team's struggles in these playoff games.

I actually thought they were pretty nice to him. They should have asked, "Coach, how humiliating is it that you get your arses kicked every single time you get to the playoffs, over and over and over again?"

Shocked that a royal douche like Brian Kelly would handle yet another national stage embarrassment poorly.  He, like many of the ND faithful, relish when ND gets favorable perception and treatment in the media based on who they are and the program’s history, but then claim most slights as entirely unfair.  I saw lot of Twitter chatter today about an uneven playing field as ND has the burden of their Stanford like standards.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #870 on: January 01, 2021, 11:48:14 PM »

"Coach Kelly, you've now murdered one person so that you could have video tape of a practice, but been murdered three times on the biggest stages.  Do you consider that a fair tradeoff?"
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #871 on: January 02, 2021, 12:21:41 AM »
OSU with 611 yards, 7 TDs with a whole quarter left. Most dominating offensive performance in BCS history.

How are teams with all those 4-star and 5-star future pros so bad at defense?

I think there are many coaches who are better than Dabo or Saban or Kelly at the X’s and O’s of coaching. They just aren’t able to recruit the same quality of players.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #872 on: January 02, 2021, 01:08:43 AM »
How are teams with all those 4-star and 5-star future pros so bad at defense?

I think there are many coaches who are better than Dabo or Saban or Kelly at the X’s and O’s of coaching. They just aren’t able to recruit the same quality of players.

FWIW, Dabo isn’t a defensive coach and never has been throughout his career. So the defensive failings aren’t so much on him. Venebles however is a very good DC, so it was kind of odd to see them struggle like this. Not having one of their leaders in the secondary for the first half hurt, and then losing their top LB mid game made it even worse.  They were a decent defensive team all year, but much of the defensive holes were covered up by usually blistering teams offensively and being able to attack when the opponent needed to play from behind.

I’d argue that Saban is actually a very good defensive Xs and Os coach, but he’s even a better leader of programs. His early Bama teams were defensive monsters more than the offensive megatons they are now. That started when he hired Kiffin and completely reshaped how they played offense. He’s an amazing recruiter, but dude structures a staff and game plan like nobody else

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #873 on: January 02, 2021, 07:38:52 AM »
College recruiting is ridiculously in favor of alabama. Go look at the number of 5 stars they get and average class rank compared to any other program

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #874 on: January 02, 2021, 07:51:42 AM »
College recruiting is ridiculously in favor of alabama. Go look at the number of 5 stars they get and average class rank compared to any other program

They're a machine right now.  They can point to playing meaningful games, developing players within their program, and getting them to the NFL.  Oh and graduating them with a degree.  And Saban has a reputation for recruiting without being dirty about it too.

Look at Mac Jones.  Was going to go to Kentucky, but decided to go to Bama despite Tua and Hurts already being there.  Do you think he wishes he was a two or three year starter at Kentucky or having the one year he is having now? 

If you were a top football recruit, why WOULDN'T you look at Alabama?

I gotta admit that I have grown to really love Nick Saban.  He's not some goofy personality.  He is self-depreciating enough to know he's obsessed about football and even jokes about it.  They don't use "turnover chains" or other things on the sidelines.  They just play football really well.  They tackle well, block well, etc.  Just a fun team to watch.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow