[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Top of Reddit's /r/CollegeBasketball - "Recruits shouldn't come to Marquette"  (Read 7482 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
The outright bigotry and right wing nonsense perpetuated by one obsessive deranged bigoted poster has been going on over there for years. Dodds, who is clearly not the sharpest pencil in the box, continued to turn a blind eye. Recently the airing of the white supremacy grievances had really gotten out of hand. Obviously somebody put the pressure on Dodds.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Dodds pulled the plug on his political board today.

So I went over there for the first time in months to read about this, and I saw this.  I've read it five times and have no idea what he is talking about:

"I am curious....if you posted an opinion on topic....and it upset someone else...and they thought the worst of you and since you posted on a fan message board....the worst of your school and/or employer....would you be quick to take the opinion post down? or would you want to be given a chance to provide context? Is the issue how you and your post is received by others....or is it more important for others to recognize the true intent and context of your post? How your opinion is perceived by others....hmmm.....if that is the standard....an aggrieved party can shut down a lot of opposing views...just by being aggrieved..."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
The outright bigotry and right wing nonsense perpetuated by one obsessive deranged bigoted poster has been going on over there for years. Dodds, who is clearly not the sharpest pencil in the box, continued to turn a blind eye. Recently the airing of the white supremacy grievances had really gotten out of hand. Obviously somebody put the pressure on Dodds.

Wow! What if a recruit has conservative views and reads your diatribe?
 Lot of hate in that screed and not a proud moment when you go off the rails just because someone doesn't espouse your views.

Hards Alumni

• All American
 Lot of hate in that screed and not a proud moment when you go off the rails just because someone doesn't espouse your views.

Bigotry isn't an acceptable view.  Unless you're a bigot.

There is no middle ground.  Also, if a recruit is a bigot, they can kick rocks.  I don't want them at Marquette.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified

EDIT: I missed a piece of the quoted post. Mea culpa
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 12:12:45 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Mom: I hate bigotry and white supremacy

Wellstreet: Why do you hate conservatives?

It's concerning how many times I see right leaning people make jumps like this these days. Shouldn't the right answer be "I'm a conservative and I also hate bigotry and white supremacy?"

I’m a conservative and I hate bigotry and white supremacy.

Also not fond of people wildly misrepresenting what other posters have written.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified

I edited my post above because I realized that I missed that the quoted post did reference right wing so the word association made more sense.

On your second point though, while I'm sure you and I would disagree about which individual posts qualify as bigotry and white supremacy, I'm pretty sure we can agree that there was at least some element of that over on that site and that should be condemned.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American

Not directed at you, personally... but why don't more conservatives call out bigotry when they see it and expel the offenders from their gatherings?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
Bigotry isn't an acceptable view.  Unless you're a bigot.

There is no middle ground.  Also, if a recruit is a bigot, they can kick rocks.  I don't want them at Marquette.

Bigot and racist have become synonymous with " someone I don't agree with"
This rush to exclude people who don't agree with you is dangerous and now is aimed at people who might disagree i.e. Fordham Univ. did.

Hards Alumni

• All American
This rush to exclude people who don't agree with you is dangerous and now is aimed at people who might disagree i.e. Fordham Univ. did.

I disagree.  Bigotry is easily defined. 

Plus we are referring to one person, who is clearly a bigot.  lol.

Mutaman

• All American

Based on what you have posted, you're the one who equates "bigotry"  with "conservative views". "Wow! What if a recruit has conservative views" (sic).

Dodds forum did not support "conservative views" . It espoused Dark people are really scary and they are going to move in next door and marry your daughter if you vote for democrats.

You're right- I don't agree with this line of thinking, i hate it, and i exclude people who think that way. The fact that Dodds let it go on for years is pretty disgraceful.
You're wrong- Any rational recruit with conservative views who is opposed to bigotry and white supremacy would agree with me.

Boone

• All American
If Dodds wasn't a brain dead @$$ he'd have no personality whatsoever

Mutaman

• All American

The word "racist" has been thrown around so much it has lost its meaning.  So while the above post is true in some instances, this generalized way of thinking
more often then not represents a complaint by those who are upset because they can no longer use the "n" word. Hence the airing of the white grievances.
In any event Dodds' forum spoke for itself- no need to bring in Fordham.   
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 11:22:25 PM by Mutaman »

panda

• All American
Dodds continues to do everything in his power to push the stick to sports narrative all while letting ignorant comments go off unpunished on the board.

Unfortunately nothing has changed.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Dodds continues to do everything in his power to push the stick to sports narrative all while letting ignorant comments go off unpunished on the board.

Unfortunately nothing has changed.

<sigh>

To expect wealthy athletes to "stick to sports" is foolish.  It's not going to happen.  And they certainly don't care about what a bunch of old, white men on a Marquette message board think about them expressing themselves.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

real chili 83

• All American
Only one post in that whole thread mentioned Scoop, so I think that's pretty good. That being said, bigoted stuff gets posted frequently here. It's not "so bad that it needs to get moderated," but it's a sign that some of the aging audience here isn't keeping up with the times. Regarding BLM, for one. But an oft-discussed topic: the Warriors (literally the logo of the board) is tough to stomach for a lot of people these days. Personally: I still wear my warriors shirts, but I feel a little guilty about it.

I think that forums, in general, suffer from comments being ranked chronologically instead of by voting which doesn't allow for community moderation. If we could downvote the crap I think there would be less of a perceived problem as the worst comments would end up below the karma threshold. As it stands, if someone posts stuff (like 4ever calling BLM Inc 'a racist organization') the only way an outsider knows that we understand that type of comment is on the wrong side of history is if it gets moderated or if a bunch of posters call him out. That doesn't happen 100% of the time on forums.

TL;DR: Tough problem to solve, you guys are doing a fine job.

Mike, how does it feel to be labeled a bigot because you are part of the “aging audience”? 

Ha, you’re a bigot because you are old!  Joe Biden is a bigot!

That was tooooo easy.  Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

MU82

• All American
#FreeBeeJay

Yes, we desperately miss the homophobe bully who claims he would physically assault anybody who doesn't take off his or her hat during the anthem. A wonderful, very-Christ-like representative of our university.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
Mike, how does it feel to be labeled a bigot because you are part of the “aging audience”? 

Ha, you’re a bigot because you are old!  Joe Biden is a bigot!

That was tooooo easy.  Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Some people fail to adapt to the times, and have bigoted tendencies.  Some recognize these tendencies and try to change.  Shouldn't be too difficult, aina?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
I ignored this thread the first pass through.  A sign of the times, I suppose.

But an oft-discussed topic: the Warriors (literally the logo of the board) is tough to stomach for a lot of people these days. Personally: I still wear my warriors shirts, but I feel a little guilty about it.

Yeah, that's interesting.  I haven't thought about our (website) imagery for a long time.  I still believe the university completely botched the Warriors thing.  Even with the history they could have gone a direction similar to golden state (and I don't think anyone complains about them now, do they?).  In keeping with that, I should probably re-do the site theme and focus more on the word warriors, and less on images.

I also still have and wear some old Warriors gear on game days, though if I'm in a more culturally sensitive area of the country I'll certainly think about it twice.

I've mentioned it before, forums are a dying breed, but that doesn't mean we should be dinosaurs unaware that a meteor is going to wipe us out.

Moderation is certainly a hot topic (especially today with FB actions), but I do firmly believe the owners of "internet publishing" (which includes social media in my mind) have a right to moderate and or delete anything they like.   If you don't like their policies, it's easy enough to spin up your own site.

Speaking of which, where's the gang of 11 26 these days?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 08:23:17 PM by rocky_warrior »

real chili 83

• All American
Some people fail to adapt to the times, and have bigoted tendencies.  Some recognize these tendencies and try to change.  Shouldn't be too difficult, aina?

Brian.....sarcasm, pure and simple.   

The Big East

• All American

Yeah, that's interesting.  I haven't thought about our (website) imagery for a long time.  I still believe the university completely botched the Warriors thing.  Even with the history they could have gone a direction similar to golden state (and I don't think anyone complains about them now, do they?).  In keeping with that, I should probably re-do the site theme and focus more on the word warriors, and less on images.

I also still have and wear some old Warriors gear on game days, though if I'm in a more culturally sensitive area of the country I'll certainly think about it twice.

I've mentioned it before, forums are a dying breed, but that doesn't mean we should be dinosaurs unaware that a meteor is going to wipe us out.

Moderation is certainly a hot topic (especially today with FB actions), but I do firmly believe the owners of "internet publishing" (which includes social media in my mind) have a right to moderate and or delete anything they like.   If you don't like their policies, it's easy enough to spin up your own site.

The Seminole Indians have licensed their name to Florida State and it is a win win. Maybe Scoop can get a license from the Pottawatomi and running a betting site on the side.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course

" bigoted tendencies"

"please please sir, i want some more"  old people dumb eyn na?
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American

Wocky, what imagery are you referring to that is associated with the mods, and the framework you’ve created?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Wocky, what imagery are you referring to that is associated with the mods, and the framework you’ve created?

Our logo and board "activity" buttons have the obscured warrior face on them:

But most probably just see a squiggly line  :P

feedback