[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 18, 2024, 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: BLM/White Privilege/etc  (Read 13706 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: BLM/White Privilege/etc
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2020, 12:41:51 PM »
The Democrats , via LBJ, then exploited the sympathy of Kennedys death to  created a cynical political  plan , sold it to gullible bleeding heart liberals, and it had the impact of steadily moving our community into social dysfunction.  Sorry but that is the truth as I see it.
That sneaky bastard Johnson, passing the Civil Rights Act 1964. LOL.

How are your Cosbyesque efforts coming along, MUFINY?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2020, 12:43:20 PM »

This privileged nonsense is bullchit. You don't know any of us or what our backgrounds are. One is not privileged just by being born white.

The ignorance of this statement is something else. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2020, 12:47:55 PM »
Forgetful

Thanks for a thoughtful post.

I’ll state unequivocally that black lives matter, that I love and respect black people and that I support their battle for rights and equity. These are sentiments I’ve always felt and tried to live by.

None of this is inconsistent with being wary of some of the political solutions advocated by BLM - for those who can’t accept that notion, we’ll agree to disagree.

Lenny, I agree wholeheartedly.

I think we could all greatly benefit from stepping away from the fray, and distancing ourselves from identifying as a side/party/movement, and instead always speaking from principles.

If we viewed/judged things from principles, instead of the judging from the worst amongst the "other side" maybe we could actually make progress. Sadly, I'm afraid getting to that point seems quite impossible these days.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2020, 12:56:33 PM »
Things us, as white people, have likely never had to deal with:

-being called an Affirmative Action hire/admit (or, my wife's case, a "Twofer")
-being asked to prepay for a meal at a sit-down restaurant (if you're ever seated)
-being asked "are you sure you belong here?"
-being told "you're so articulate" for your race/ethnicity
-being asked if you speak English
-being followed in a store by an employee
-having the door locked on you as you approach a store
-having women clutch their purse tight when you walk by
-seeing people move to the other side of the street when you are walking towards them on a sidewalk
-having people ask (or sometimes not ask) to touch your skin or hair

Not having this happen to you:  https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/10/27/9621368/john-henson-wisconsin-jewelry-store-discrimination

"White privilege" doesn't mean you get everything handed to you or you don't have to struggle in life. It just means there are certain areas of life where you are given the benefit of the doubt. .

This.  Exactly this.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2020, 01:09:12 PM »
I worked at a small local pharmacy for a few spending dollars in high school.  I got held up at gun point during a shift.  When customers found out I was the person that got held up, more than one person asked me, "Was he black?"

That's 1) racism and 2) white privilege.  Anyone who doesn't realize they are treated differently based on the color of their skin just isn't paying attention.

Also, the guy was white, for what it's worth.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2020, 01:17:08 PM »
BTW, acknowledging white priviledge also doesn't mean that you agree that programs like affirmative action are the best way to solve the issue.  It is simply the current state of affairs.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2020, 01:40:22 PM »

This privileged nonsense is bullchit. You don't know any of us or what our backgrounds are. One is not privileged just by being born white.

No, we don't, in regards to the type of privilege.  I know that I had certain privileges being the son of a physician father and nurse mother that my buddy, the son of a water heater delivery driver dad and factory worker mom, did not. However, my junior year roommate, whose dad was a Sr. VP for Motorola, had privileges I did not have (vacation home on Coronado was pretty nice). Meanwhile, Jared Kuschner, the Obama daughters, the Bush twins, Will Smith's kids, etc., have privileges most of any color or ethnicity will never have.

Meanwhile, I doubt many people white people have had to deal with stuff like this;  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2895944-damian-lillard-talks-racism-police-brutality-after-killing-of-george-floyd

I also know that when I played high school sports we were never warned by our coaches about how dangerous other white schools were and that we should only go places in groups...but we sure were about the one black school in our conference.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 01:42:08 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2020, 01:59:05 PM »
Wow, I can not believe no one has brought up the hidden meaning of the OP.....

group of 11

What happens here in October and November?

ZONE

valuable Marquette fans

create one of our own.

Marquette Football is returning!!! just got to read between the lines

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2020, 01:59:22 PM »
That sneaky bastard Johnson, passing the Civil Rights Act 1964. LOL.

How are your Cosbyesque efforts coming along, MUFINY?
Civil Rights act of 1964 was passed with Republican Votes.

Facts matter.

Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed the Senate on a 73-to-27 vote.
The Democratic supermajority in the Senate split their vote 46 (69%) for and 21 (31%) against.

The Republicans, on the other hand, split their vote 27 for (82%) and 6 against (18%).

Thus, the no vote consisted of 78% Democrats. Further, the infamous 74-day filibuster was led by the Southern Democrats, who overwhelmingly voted against the act.

An examination of the House vote shows a similar pattern. The House voted 290 to 130 in favor.

Democrats split their vote 152 (61%) to 96 (39%)

Republicans split theirs 138 (80%) to 34 (20%).
The no vote consisted of 74% Democrats.

Clearly, the 1964 Civil Rights Act could not have been passed without the leadership of Republicans
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2020, 02:25:08 PM »

Facts matter.

Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed the Senate on a 73-to-27 vote.
The Democratic supermajority in the Senate split their vote 46 (69%) for and 21 (31%) against.

The Republicans, on the other hand, split their vote 27 for (82%) and 6 against (18%).

Thus, the no vote consisted of 78% Democrats. Further, the infamous 74-day filibuster was led by the Southern Democrats, who overwhelmingly voted against the act.

An examination of the House vote shows a similar pattern. The House voted 290 to 130 in favor.

Democrats split their vote 152 (61%) to 96 (39%)

Republicans split theirs 138 (80%) to 34 (20%).
The no vote consisted of 74% Democrats.

Clearly, the 1964 Civil Rights Act could not have been passed without the leadership of Republicans

The Civil Rights Act vote fell along regional lines, not party lines.
In the Senate, members from former Confederate states voted 1 in favor and 21 against. Senators from other states voted 72 for and 6 against.
In the House, Southerners were 8 for and 94 against. Northerners were 281 for and 32 against.

Now that we've cleared that up, do "Southern Strategy."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2020, 02:37:29 PM »
The Civil Rights Act vote fell along regional lines, not party lines.
In the Senate, members from former Confederate states voted 1 in favor and 21 against. Senators from other states voted 72 for and 6 against.
In the House, Southerners were 8 for and 94 against. Northerners were 281 for and 32 against.

Now that we've cleared that up, do "Southern Strategy."

Facts matter.   ::)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2020, 02:41:35 PM »
Right. That kind of self-defensive reaction I imagine is part of the denial. That and the feeling that one's accomplishments are somehow cheapened if you admit there are benefits to your skin color (see: 4ever).

So far off base its laughable
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2020, 02:55:21 PM »

Edgeyoukayte uz

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2020, 02:55:40 PM »

So just say it.  Black lives matter.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2020, 03:27:59 PM »
Lots of Rockefeller Republicans back then.   Fair number of Byrd Democrats.    Fewer now.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2020, 03:42:12 PM »
Lots of Rockefeller Republicans back then.   Fair number of Byrd Democrats.    Fewer now.

Guess none of them wanted to read the Southern Strategy post I dropped in another thread. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2020, 03:52:19 PM »
Claiming that Republicans obviously care about the fate of racial minorities based on a vote from 56 years ago is pretty hilarious stuff.  (Not saying that Republicans don't care, but if THAT'S your evidence....)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2020, 03:54:11 PM »
Claiming that Republicans obviously care about the fate of racial minorities based on a vote from 56 years ago is pretty hilarious stuff.  (Not saying that Republicans don't care, but if THAT'S your evidence....)

Well, a republican actually freed the slaves.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2020, 03:56:14 PM »
Social liberals passed the Civil Rights Act. Social conservatives voted against it. In the 1960s, you could find social liberals and conservatives in both the Democratic and Republican parties. Over time, the two parties became more of unified dichotomy with social and fiscal liberals aligned under the Democratic party and social and fiscal conservatives aligned under the Republican party. Trying to compare the Democrats/Republicans of today to the Democrats/Republicans of the 1960s is like trying to compare college basketball now to college basketball in the 1960s. Playing completely different games, eh?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2020, 03:56:49 PM »
Guess none of them wanted to read the Southern Strategy post I dropped in another thread.

Ignorance of history is blissful living
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2020, 04:17:45 PM »
Social liberals passed the Civil Rights Act. Social conservatives voted against it. In the 1960s, you could find social liberals and conservatives in both the Democratic and Republican parties. Over time, the two parties became more of unified dichotomy with social and fiscal liberals aligned under the Democratic party and social and fiscal conservatives aligned under the Republican party. Trying to compare the Democrats/Republicans of today to the Democrats/Republicans of the 1960s is like trying to compare college basketball now to college basketball in the 1960s. Playing completely different games, eh?
Democrat = Pro Slavery Party   
Republican= Pro Liberty Party

Has been that way since the beginning. Still Is
KKK was the military arm of Democrats
BLM is a front organization for the Communists.

Abe Lincoln = GOAT 

I don't want  or need any help from guilt stricken white people.  Just get out of the way of the people who create value in this society and quit cloaking parasitic behavior in some pseudo charitable cause . We can see through it.

And by the way I was for Cuonzo. 

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2020, 04:53:55 PM »
I do not like racism either nor do I like to be singled out because I'm white. I do not consider myself privileged or supreme yet I'm labeled so because of the color of my skin. I am of Slavic descent. My ancestors were enslaved by the Muslims of Spain in the 9th century so technically I am a descendent of slaves and the 5 police officers who were shot in Dallas certainly did not want to die for being white.

https://abc13.com/soldier-dallas-officer-bradford-glendening/1420187/

How can we bridge the racial divide if we continue to teach our kids that one race is better than another when we know it is not true.

And, in the United States as a white person, or a person of a different background but has assimilated or passed as white, you are not enslaved or treated like your ancestors. That’s privilege.

I’m not calling you out personally, your response isn’t unique and often predictable. This point of view is neither universal nor objective. I get it, we often don’t feel privileged, but having a discussion about race/racism rather than experiencing it on a daily basis is privilege.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2020, 05:01:58 PM »

Facts matter.

<snip>

And? Your performance art point was "LBJ, then exploited the sympathy of Kennedys death to  created a cynical political  plan"

Now you are stating it was actually a good thing because Republicans voted for it? LOL. I mean, if it was a cynical political plan with the objective of destroying black families, how is a positive that Republicans voted for it?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 05:13:42 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2020, 05:17:44 PM »
Democrat = Pro Slavery Party   
Republican= Pro Liberty Party

Has been that way since the beginning. Still Is
KKK was the military arm of Democrats
BLM is a front organization for the Communists.

Abe Lincoln = GOAT 

I don't want  or need any help from guilt stricken white people.  Just get out of the way of the people who create value in this society and quit cloaking parasitic behavior in some pseudo charitable cause . We can see through it.

And by the way I was for Cuonzo.

Did you send your check back from the government that was sent out over Covid?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.