collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Lacrosse Recruit loses scholly over racist Instagram post.  (Read 23420 times)

warriorchick

• All American

I actually saw a copy of it before it was taken down. It was repulsive.

Kudos to Marquette for taking such swift action.

https://marquettewire.org/4033375/sports/lacrosse-commits-snapchat-sparks-outrage-among-students-community/?fbclid=IwAR1jCw8sFnadKfc_pSIEihKWoSopiYbiL3rkydNC4Y3E0JthobdVfqZ3x1I
Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: MU Lacrosse Recruit loses scholly over racist Instagram post.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 07:34:53 PM »
What in the world is happening.  Unbelievable. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 08:01:48 PM »
Actions have consequences.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 08:11:20 PM »
Wow well she got her wish people "came at her"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 08:15:06 PM »
Turn over any rock and you can find human garbage.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 08:16:23 PM »
Am I reading this incorrectly? Isn't she condemning the kneeling on the head of the cop?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 08:21:20 PM »
So is Audrey jasmine or Kelsey?
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 08:25:26 PM »
Am I reading this incorrectly? Isn't she condemning the kneeling on the head of the cop?

No, she is saying it is okay to kneel on necks because folks have kneeled in protest before that.
Have some patience, FFS.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 08:28:19 PM »

(This is the first I have heard about this)

I read it to mean she is saying it is okay to kneel on someone's head if you are are going to kneel during the National Anthem. ...obviously referencing George Floyd's murder and Colin Kaepernick etc...

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 08:35:18 PM »
(This is the first I have heard about this)

I read it to mean she is saying it is okay to kneel on someone's head if you are are going to kneel during the National Anthem. ...obviously referencing George Floyd's murder and Colin Kaepernick etc...

Yeah, I read it a few times as I wasn’t sure what she was saying and realized that’s what she meant.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 08:49:16 PM »
Yeah, I read it a few times as I wasn’t sure what she was saying and realized that’s what she meant.

I had to read it a couple of times. It wasn't super clear the first time.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 08:54:37 PM »
I think everyone read her post a bunch of times because it made no sense.

Frankly, without context, I wouldn't condemn her for that -- but I would yank a scholarship to MU as she can't put two coherent sentences together.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 08:57:32 PM »
I had to read it a couple of times. It wasn't super clear the first time.

Yeah, I missed it the first time too. Not very well written.

Anyhow, I am glad MU took prompt action.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 09:47:30 PM »
I think everyone read her post a bunch of times because it made no sense.

Frankly, without context, I wouldn't condemn her for that -- but I would yank a scholarship to MU as she can't put two coherent sentences together.

Different article said she followed it up with some other racial language
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 10:09:43 PM »
Correct me if I'm interpreting this incorrectly, but not only is her scholarship pulled, but her acceptance is as well?  Couldn't even attend if she paid her own way?

Would be the correct decision IMO if that is the case.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 10:41:26 PM »
Correct me if I'm interpreting this incorrectly, but not only is her scholarship pulled, but her acceptance is as well?  Couldn't even attend if she paid her own way?

I think so. It said her ‘offers” were pulled so I read that as scholarship and admission offer.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 10:42:42 PM »
Bye Felicia.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 06:07:20 AM »

Yes.  The acceptance of her admission application has been rescinded as well.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 07:35:49 AM »
This kind of thing should be required reading for every kid 11 years old and up. What you say on social media could adversely affect your life.

I'm starting to think that "Social Media" should be a required class in middle schools.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 08:12:36 AM »
This kind of thing should be required reading for every kid 11 years old and up. What you say on social media could adversely affect your life.

I'm starting to think that "Social Media" should be a required class in middle schools.

Social media, email, texting, written on paper, etc...once it is there, it is there. Impulsivity, racism, all kinds of topics are not new. What's changed and keeps changing is technology. It used to be more of an effort to write that letter to the newspaper for example. Many wouldn't follow through and complain in a much smaller forum. Recruits are frequently warned about social media. Many coaches too. There will always be some. Good for MU to stand for something. Anti-Racism is a high level choice.

There is a photo of this former MU recruit with some of her teammates, all smiles as several were college bound lax players, And, what stands out to me right away is the player standing next to her is black.

If anyone is interested, a friend of mine sent me this brief article this morning regarding a similar topic. The quotes of the young men in the piece can apply to anywhere USA.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-nearly-four-years-after-conway-knelt-during-anthem-westminster-star-s-gesture-hits-home/article_aac0003c-8307-5f10-8569-a6aae634d9b4.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 08:42:09 AM »

The problem is not so-called social media. The problem is fascist and  racist beliefs.
What can adversely affect your life is not what you post, it is being a bigot in the first place.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 09:04:37 AM »
Social media, email, texting, written on paper, etc...once it is there, it is there. Impulsivity, racism, all kinds of topics are not new. What's changed and keeps changing is technology. It used to be more of an effort to write that letter to the newspaper for example. Many wouldn't follow through and complain in a much smaller forum. Recruits are frequently warned about social media. Many coaches too. There will always be some. Good for MU to stand for something. Anti-Racism is a high level choice.

There is a photo of this former MU recruit with some of her teammates, all smiles as several were college bound lax players, And, what stands out to me right away is the player standing next to her is black.

If anyone is interested, a friend of mine sent me this brief article this morning regarding a similar topic. The quotes of the young men in the piece can apply to anywhere USA.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-nearly-four-years-after-conway-knelt-during-anthem-westminster-star-s-gesture-hits-home/article_aac0003c-8307-5f10-8569-a6aae634d9b4.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Thanks for posting that, shoot. A very good read.

I don't think young people should be afraid to post photos of them taking a stand on a controversial subject when they know they are on the right side of history. If I took a knee during the anthem - and today, if I were an athlete, I certainly would - I would be proud of it and I'd have the attitude, "If there's some college that didn't want me, or some company that didn't hire me, because I did that, I didn't want to go there or work there anyway."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 09:11:23 AM »
The problem is not so-called social media. The problem is fascist and  racist beliefs.
What can adversely affect your life is not what you post, it is being a bigot in the first place.

You are right of course. Though prior to social media you would learn that behavior or have to seek it out. With Twitter, Youtube, etc it gives voice to convert those that otherwise would not have been.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 09:37:14 AM »
Instant karma.

Bye!

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 10:29:10 AM »
This person will now just keep racists thoughts to themselves instead of blasting it on social media. While this may incur a change on their world-view I doubt it. They will play the victim and be mad that they got their offers rescinded only "because they posted it" and the true reason for pulling the offer is way over their heads. They will have time to change their prejudice but in my experience, racists only get mad because they got caught and there were repercussion, not because they are mad at what they said.