[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Golden Eagles Alumni TBT 2020  (Read 99683 times)

withoutbias

• All American
Re: Golden Eagles Alumni TBT 2020
« Reply #400 on: July 11, 2020, 11:52:24 PM »
Just throw it on the pile of Vander's bad career decisions.

I mean he may not have a college degree. May have blown his chance to be etched in as one of the greatest careers in MU history, may have alienated himself from helping the alumni team play for a crap ton of money, BUT at least he's well traveled

You left out wasting his prime playing years grinding away in D-league instead of making some decent money abroad.

Maybe Vander’s of the opinion that there’s more to life than earning every penny he possibly can. Maybe he valued not moving across the world to somewhere he knows nobody, knows nothing about, and can’t even communicate with most people at. Maybe he doesn’t plan on using a college degree to make money, or maybe he knows he can go back to MU at any point over the next 60 years of his life to finish the year he has left.

But maybe Scoopers know better what’s best for Vander.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #401 on: July 12, 2020, 12:40:57 AM »
All he did yesterday was get a couple rebounds and throw the ball away.

While he did have a couple rebounds i believe he turned it over after each one, additionally gave up numerous offensive rebounds due to his lack of quickness.  Listen i dont dislike the guy, just dont see his value.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #402 on: July 12, 2020, 02:16:07 AM »
Just because I hadn't seen it mentioned, the next MU game is today July 12 @  4pm ET...3pm CT

http://thetournament.com/news/tbt-2020-semifinals-july-12-game-previews-schedule-0

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #403 on: July 12, 2020, 05:14:27 AM »
Myth?

The idea that Buzz could toughen up a player than other coaches couldn't.

Buzz had a number of soft players.  He had a number of tough players.  More of a function of who he recruited and not some special gift.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #404 on: July 12, 2020, 06:23:25 AM »
Does he want one? Wonder what kind of coin he makes with his program? I have no idea.

The announcers said he has 1500 kids enrolled in his academy. That's a lot of kids.

I talked about this a lot during last year's TBT. I can imagine a decent upper middle class life on the north shore running a youth bball academy > an upper class life spending every waking moment grinding/traveling/recruiting as a college bball coach.

panda

• All American
« Reply #405 on: July 12, 2020, 07:07:16 AM »
The idea that Buzz could toughen up a player than other coaches couldn't.

Buzz had a number of soft players.  He had a number of tough players.  More of a function of who he recruited and not some special gift.

Those who stuck around became tougher.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #406 on: July 12, 2020, 07:44:40 AM »
Those who stuck around became tougher.

Which happens with experience regardless of who the coach is.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #407 on: July 12, 2020, 08:30:34 AM »

Which happens with experience regardless of who the coach is.

Coaches carry certain identities. It’s certainly not a catch all panacea of all veteran players are tough.

Unless of course your Dodds explaining why a young team can’t be successful. Also relevant, if you’re Dodds then explaining why the veteran team isn’t tough and how 90% of the team is battling through extremely debilitating injuries that the common man could not possibly tolerate.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #408 on: July 12, 2020, 08:42:51 AM »
Coaches carry certain identities. It’s certainly not a catch all panacea of all veteran players are tough.

Unless of course your Dodds explaining why a young team can’t be successful. Also relevant, if you’re Dodds then explaining why the veteran team isn’t tough and how 90% of the team is battling through extremely debilitating injuries that the common man could not possibly tolerate.

That's "very" young team, repeated ad nauseam. You forgot "tired legs" at the end of the season. Only Marquette (never our opponents) has to deal with the issues of a a very young team, injuries, and tired legs. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #409 on: July 12, 2020, 09:23:09 AM »
Just because I hadn't seen it mentioned, the next MU game is today July 12 @  4pm ET...3pm CT

http://thetournament.com/news/tbt-2020-semifinals-july-12-game-previews-schedule-0
Marquette Versus Dayton . Bragging Rights are at stake on this one.
UNC Grad MU Fan

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #410 on: July 12, 2020, 09:44:36 AM »
Don’t forget the Dodd’s excuse you can’t beat a team on their senior night (except when it’s Marquette’s sr night) and that Marquette shoots poorly at home because they don’t practice there regularly (except that opposing teams shoots just fine in a facility they see for the first time) and it’s hard to beat a team three times in a row, and perennially used “bad matchup” for every team Marquette plays (where is Wojo recruiting these guys of every team we play is a bad matchup?)

That's "very" young team, repeated ad nauseam. You forgot "tired legs" at the end of the season. Only Marquette (never our opponents) has to deal with the issues of a a very young team, injuries, and tired legs.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #411 on: July 12, 2020, 10:42:33 AM »

I have no idea what Dodds says nor do I care.

I just don’t think that Luke would have been any more tough with Buzz coaching him.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #412 on: July 12, 2020, 10:49:29 AM »
Maybe Vander’s of the opinion that there’s more to life than earning every penny he possibly can. Maybe he valued not moving across the world to somewhere he knows nobody, knows nothing about, and can’t even communicate with most people at. Maybe he doesn’t plan on using a college degree to make money, or maybe he knows he can go back to MU at any point over the next 60 years of his life to finish the year he has left.

This would be a good take if he wasn't currently playing in Kosovo, played in Italy and played in Israel. Unless you're insinuating that he speaks Italian, Hebrew, and Serbian/Albanian not to mention knows people in those countries.

Also a good hint that someone wants to cash out playing ball is when they leave a team early to you know play professionally to earn money.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:51:13 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #413 on: July 12, 2020, 11:56:55 AM »
The announcers said he has 1500 kids enrolled in his academy. That's a lot of kids.

I talked about this a lot during last year's TBT. I can imagine a decent upper middle class life on the north shore running a youth bball academy > an upper class life spending every waking moment grinding/traveling/recruiting as a college bball coach.

an article on Joe from last Summer.
https://adamalbrecht.blog/2019/08/06/how-joe-chapman-went-from-professional-basketball-player-to-successful-entrepreneur/

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #414 on: July 12, 2020, 12:21:35 PM »
This would be a good take if he wasn't currently playing in Kosovo, played in Italy and played in Israel. Unless you're insinuating that he speaks Italian, Hebrew, and Serbian/Albanian not to mention knows people in those countries.

Also a good hint that someone wants to cash out playing ball is when they leave a team early to you know play professionally to earn money.

So you’re telling me his interests from the time he was 20 to the time he was 27 changed? Shocking. And how long did those stints overseas last?

I’m guessing you haven’t taken the time to read up on Vander’s professional career. He’s dealt with depression for a decent chunk of it. Maybe living by himself overseas wasn’t the best thing for him, for that reason or any other number of reasons, at the time. Maybe he now has a better handle of his mental health. Maybe he’s come to accept the NBA isn’t a real possibility anymore. Keep in mind he had 3 NBA stints, where he made good money even for the short stints.

What’s right/the best decision for you isn’t right/the best decision for everyone else. People are motivated by different things.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #415 on: July 12, 2020, 12:42:16 PM »
So you’re telling me his interests from the time he was 20 to the time he was 27 changed? Shocking. And how long did those stints overseas last?

I’m guessing you haven’t taken the time to read up on Vander’s professional career. He’s dealt with depression for a decent chunk of it. Maybe living by himself overseas wasn’t the best thing for him, for that reason or any other number of reasons, at the time. Maybe he now has a better handle of his mental health. Maybe he’s come to accept the NBA isn’t a real possibility anymore. Keep in mind he had 3 NBA stints, where he made good money even for the short stints.

What’s right/the best decision for you isn’t right/the best decision for everyone else. People are motivated by different things.

So you posited an aggressive statement that was objectively wrong about his career. Get called out, change goal posts with different argument without admitting you were wrong.

Chico's?
Maigh Eo for Sam

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #416 on: July 12, 2020, 01:22:32 PM »
So you posited an aggressive statement that was objectively wrong about his career. Get called out, change goal posts with different argument without admitting you were wrong.

Chico's?

What are you even talking about? Objectively wrong about his career? If so, then your original sentiment was wrong and he has been moving over seas to make money. So he didn’t make a list of dumb decisions after all?

Get over yourself. You have no idea what’s a good idea for Vander. There’s more to life than chasing ever dollar. Good for Vander for realizing that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #417 on: July 12, 2020, 01:33:26 PM »
What are you even talking about? Objectively wrong about his career? If so, then your original sentiment was wrong and he has been moving over seas to make money. So he didn’t make a list of dumb decisions after all?

Get over yourself. You have no idea what’s a good idea for Vander. There’s more to life than chasing ever dollar. Good for Vander for realizing that.

Would you call the boldest objectively right given that he's played overseas for four different teams at separate times? You were wrong. When called out you went on a big rant talking about his depression. That moving goal posts.

Also I never said anything about knowing what's best for him. Reread my initial post, I simply said what he gave up and that he's well traveled.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #418 on: July 12, 2020, 02:04:01 PM »
Somebody’s a triggered snowflake.

Projection is a very common defense mechanism. 

That aside, just to reiterate, DJO DOES NOT DESERVE TO GET PART OF THE WINNINGS IF OUR TBT TEAM WINS THE TOURNAMENT THIS YEAR!!!!!  LET'S TEACH HIM A LESSON.  YEAH!!

#nojusticenopeace

That aside, let's hope our TBT team full of impact players from Buzz's tenure leads us to a championship. 

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #419 on: July 12, 2020, 02:06:19 PM »
Would you call the boldest objectively right given that he's played overseas for four different teams at separate times? You were wrong. When called out you went on a big rant talking about his depression. That moving goal posts.

Also I never said anything about knowing what's best for him. Reread my initial post, I simply said what he gave up and that he's well traveled.

You replied to a post that claimed he had “a pile of bad career decisions” by listing a number of career decisions Vander has made.  Seemed to be highlighting the “pile of bad career decisions.” But maybe you were just listing them for fun with no judgment. If so, my bad. Certainly comes off as you knowing what’s best for Vander.

And again, go read up on his “pile of bad career decisions” and let me know how long those overseas stints lasted. If anything, those seem to be the “bad career decisions” Vander has made. He doesn’t seem to enjoy it when he leaves the USA, given they've at times lasted just weeks.

I also left out this reply to warriorchick saying you left out years of his playing career being wasted grinding in the D League instead of getting paid big bucks overseas:

How could I forget

So again, seems like you know what’s best for Vander.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 02:09:47 PM by WithoutBias »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #420 on: July 12, 2020, 02:48:10 PM »
You replied to a post that claimed he had “a pile of bad career decisions” by listing a number of career decisions Vander has made.  Seemed to be highlighting the “pile of bad career decisions.” But maybe you were just listing them for fun with no judgment. If so, my bad. Certainly comes off as you knowing what’s best for Vander.

And again, go read up on his “pile of bad career decisions” and let me know how long those overseas stints lasted. If anything, those seem to be the “bad career decisions” Vander has made. He doesn’t seem to enjoy it when he leaves the USA, given they've at times lasted just weeks.

I also left out this reply to warriorchick saying you left out years of his playing career being wasted grinding in the D League instead of getting paid big bucks overseas:

So again, seems like you know what’s best for Vander.

I have a number of friends, coworkers, and acquaintances who have played overseas. Some loved it and have remained as long as they can, either in the same country or bouncing from country to country. Some decided after a few years they and came back to earn grad degrees or get a job (one did one year in Lithuania and then came back to get an MBA and works on Wall Street).  One played three years, came back and got a job, and decided to return. Some hated it, whether it be due to culture shock, language barrier, not making any more or homesickness. Some made it a few years, some a year, one made it a month in England and now works at Google. To each their own.

Maybe it just wasn't Vander's scene. Not every location a player goes to is exciting and exotic. One NWSL player I know signed with a Russian team and lived in a compound six hours from Moscow and could only leave on group outings. I don't think any of us would want to deal with that.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #421 on: July 12, 2020, 02:58:00 PM »
So, anybody going to watch the game?
Goal is National Championship

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #422 on: July 12, 2020, 03:14:42 PM »
Cook get hurt?

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #423 on: July 12, 2020, 03:15:06 PM »
Ridiculous djo not in game for first 4 minutes. Also Elgin inuuree ?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #424 on: July 12, 2020, 03:20:47 PM »
This would be a good take if he wasn't currently playing in Kosovo,

Fun fact, his teammate in Kosovo is Jameel McKay.  Likely makes it easier. Especially for someone who has struggled with homesickness and being away from the US.

feedback