Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Golden Eagles Alumni TBT 2020  (Read 99665 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Golden Eagles Alumni TBT 2020
« on: May 17, 2020, 11:31:22 AM »
Looking forward to The Basketball Tournament. Our team has a Twitter page with current postings,  but  we are not listed on the Team Page for The tournament.

@GoldenEaglesTBT

https://www.thetournament.com/teams
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Goatherder

• Starter
Re: Golden Eagles Alumni TBT 2020
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 11:48:12 AM »
Why is the team not listed with the teams?  Don't they get in automatically for going to the finals last year?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 12:06:03 PM »
I doubt this will happen.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 12:14:08 PM »
I thought it was mentioned somewhere that Vander was going to play on this team.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 12:53:33 PM »

Scheduled for Late July and August, so there is time for things to ease up.  Attendance improved last year, especially in the region the Golden Eagles played in, but it was still not great.  Most of the money comes from ESPN, so they would not take a beating by not having fans. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 01:20:55 PM »
Why is the team not listed with the teams?  Don't they get in automatically for going to the finals last year?

They haven't been listed the past two years because they earned their place based on hosting & past performance. If they want to compete, they will definitely be in the field. They're the returning runners-up and second winningest team in TBT history.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 01:34:41 PM »
They haven't been listed the past two years because they earned their place based on hosting & past performance. If they want to compete, they will definitely be in the field. They're the returning runners-up and second winningest team in TBT history.

Hang a banner
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 07:20:36 PM »

I agree, but not necessarily because of player safety, crowds, etc.  I think promoters are going to be hard-pressed to find the money to put on events like TBT this year, and ESPN has lost so much ad revenue at this point that they'll need to make cuts somewhere.  So unless this is literally the only sporting event happening in July/August, I think they'll (wisely) just bag it until 2021.  That's the beauty of an alumni event - no one's losing eligibility.

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 08:25:22 PM »
I agree, but not necessarily because of player safety, crowds, etc.  I think promoters are going to be hard-pressed to find the money to put on events like TBT this year, and ESPN has lost so much ad revenue at this point that they'll need to make cuts somewhere.  So unless this is literally the only sporting event happening in July/August, I think they'll (wisely) just bag it until 2021.  That's the beauty of an alumni event - no one's losing eligibility.

OTOH, a friend of mine recently watched the National Cornhole Championships and stock car drivers competing in a video race.  They can use programming and TBT is relatively cheap.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 09:25:36 PM »
and ESPN3 is showing tennis streamed from a gopro attached to a wire fence behind the baseline.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 11:33:49 AM »
Marquette usually posts its team pretty late into the tbt voting. Not sure why they're that, as other automatic qualifiers are already posted.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 11:43:50 AM »
Jayce someone needs to tell u the story of the young bull and the old bull.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 09:04:19 AM »
24 teams 1 location.

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 10:11:11 AM »
24 teams 1 location.
The Golden Eagles team keeps posting social media .

https://twitter.com/thetournament/status/1265629719669673989

However don't see their name on the application pool yet.  Maybe they are still lining up the team?
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 10:57:59 AM »
If they have a team, they will be in the field. They don't need to get voted in. They, along with Overseas Elite and Carmen's Crew, are the TBT blue bloods. No one is leaving them out, votes or no votes.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 11:06:52 AM »
If they have a team, they will be in the field. They don't need to get voted in. They, along with Overseas Elite and Carmen's Crew, are the TBT blue bloods. No one is leaving them out, votes or no votes.
With all the posting the team is doing it seems like they are in the field.

Hopefully, they can put together the nucleus of the team they have had for the last few years. I think that chemistry really helps.
                       ---Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 06:08:32 PM »
Gotta see my boy diener play again

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 07:20:20 PM »
There was a tournament update this afternoon.
24 team tournament in one location over 10 days.  Must quarantine at location 14 days before tournament and if any team member tests positive the whole team is disqualified.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 07:44:20 PM »
There was a tournament update this afternoon.
24 team tournament in one location over 10 days.  Must quarantine at location 14 days before tournament and if any team member tests positive the whole team is disqualified.

So these guys are going to stay in a hotel for 3 weeks and only one team will come away with a penny?

Count me as pessimistic this happens.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 08:22:40 PM »
If you look at the crap that's on sports networks lately I'd think they would be queued up to pay for the hotels in order to make this tournament happen... just so they get new TV content.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 07:03:10 AM »
While not every league can do what TBT is trying to do, I think it's a really smart way to manage their sport. Essentially quarantine everyone and have the entire process from start to finish done in under a month. Considering most people have been quarantining for longer than that already, it should be manageable for the athletes. Having one isolated location, mass testing, and a controlled environment is the best way to proceed.

panda

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 07:15:19 AM »
While not every league can do what TBT is trying to do, I think it's a really smart way to manage their sport. Essentially quarantine everyone and have the entire process from start to finish done in under a month. Considering most people have been quarantining for longer than that already, it should be manageable for the athletes. Having one isolated location, mass testing, and a controlled environment is the best way to proceed.

Totally agree. All of the travel from past tournaments discouraged some players from playing. I can see more guys interested in this concept than the previous iteration.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2020, 03:30:23 AM »
Looks like Luke Fischer is on the team this year
                       ---Al McGuire

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2020, 06:59:24 AM »
Players on the roster so far include: Buycks, Jamil Wilson, Derrick Wilson, Mo Acker, Fischer with non Marquette guys Jarvis Williams and Elgin Cook returning.

I know Luke wanted to play last year but he has surgery and was unable to join. Will be interesting to see if anyone else is added. TBT likes to hide big player announcements. Diener is the one that I’m waiting on but he could always decide it was a crazy spring with Italy and decide to stay home.