[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: no California teams at least for 1st semester of college basketball season?  (Read 9753 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Hmm...I wonder if anyone would hire a student who took an online chemistry/lab course to work in their laboratories? I believe some courses require a student to be physically present to be prepared for the real world.

The answer is absolutely yes. Do you have any idea what the field of lab work looks like right now? My wife got her bachelor's Medical Tech degree online from Weber State. Her employer not only paid her to finish her degree but immediately gave her a raise as soon as her education was complete because they feared losing her. There were clinical requirements, but her employer provided all the ability to do that on site and I'm sure any employer would accommodate any students they thought they had a reasonable chance to hire afterwards. The medical lab field right now is absolutely gutted by retirements. If you can show a plausible facsimile of a degree from University of Phoenix, Miskatonic University, or Hogwart's they will hire you and offer a signing bonus.

Labs are desperate for a younger workforce and filling positions with people who are vastly underqualified every day because there simply aren't enough new workers entering the field.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Hmm...I wonder if anyone would hire a student who took an online chemistry/lab course to work in their laboratories? I believe some courses require a student to be physically present to be prepared for the real world.

Right.  Which is why CSU schools are continuing those programs in person and allowing students to live on campus.  My guess is that others will do the same.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

D'Lo Brown

• All American

The answer is yes they would, & "irregardless" the majority of schools that go online in the Fall will still offer in person labs. With ease. They may need to hire more ancillary staff to accommodate. It's possible that they counteract that by offering a mixed experience. If you've taken a chem course with lab you understand that the first few lab days are unique to you & the entire rest of the semester is just repetition.

Also IMO you are overstating the importance of learning how to be a scale jockey.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:51:43 AM by The Hamberdler »

IrwinFletcher

• All American
The answer is absolutely yes. Do you have any idea what the field of lab work looks like right now? My wife got her bachelor's Medical Tech degree online from Weber State. Her employer not only paid her to finish her degree but immediately gave her a raise as soon as her education was complete because they feared losing her. There were clinical requirements, but her employer provided all the ability to do that on site and I'm sure any employer would accommodate any students they thought they had a reasonable chance to hire afterwards. The medical lab field right now is absolutely gutted by retirements. If you can show a plausible facsimile of a degree from University of Phoenix, Miskatonic University, or Hogwart's they will hire you and offer a signing bonus.

Labs are desperate for a younger workforce and filling positions with people who are vastly underqualified every day because there simply aren't enough new workers entering the field.

Anecdotal
 ;)

Not A Serious Person

• All American

you're assuming there are going to open labs looking to hire anyone.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American

Interesting you mention.  My daughter is a Biology major.  She says she's interested in research.  My neighbor is a Med Tech.  She said she was a Bio major also and took a certificate course afterwards to get certified for Med Tech.  Stated the same that there is more of a shortage for Med Techs than Nurses and there have been plenty of programs to induce students go into nursing and that the Med Tech issue was ignored.  She wants to speak in more detail about with my daughter who is totally on board after mentioning as my daughter was previously unaware of this option and it also sounds more like what she wants to do.  The neighbor's husband is a Bioinformatics researcher at Unilever. 

WarriorDad

• All American
Marquette nursing students were not allowed to finish their practicals second semester this year.  This is the hands-on training they receive.  The nursing program at MU rotates where students either do their practicals first semester or second semester.  The second semester students are now behind as a result.

My daughter enters her senior year in the Fall.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Anecdotal
 ;)
It is, but...

Interesting you mention.  My daughter is a Biology major.  She says she's interested in research.  My neighbor is a Med Tech.  She said she was a Bio major also and took a certificate course afterwards to get certified for Med Tech.  Stated the same that there is more of a shortage for Med Techs than Nurses and there have been plenty of programs to induce students go into nursing and that the Med Tech issue was ignored.  She wants to speak in more detail about with my daughter who is totally on board after mentioning as my daughter was previously unaware of this option and it also sounds more like what she wants to do.  The neighbor's husband is a Bioinformatics researcher at Unilever.

My wife gets headhunter emails weekly & that’s the case for all her co-workers too. It’s a critically understaffed field. Not just local emails either, if not for having a 2-year-old at home she may have taken a traveling job because they pay really well.

Adding in that there are only a few accredited universities that do online (Cincinnati & Weber State were the only two she found at the time) and it’s a coveted degree. Sort of where the Physician’s Assistant field was at 12-15 years ago.

• All American
We are kind of getting muwarrior69 about his chemistry example, but there are clearly other examples where the hands on is definitely part of the learning process.  I am sure the CSU campuses, and Marquette if it gets to that, will have plans in place.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
What an incredible overreaction.

In many states, normalcy is returning. We know the number of new cases but we don't know the number of "ins and outs" showing the number of people who either are asymptomatic, light cases (like a work colleague who has worked through a case of coronavirus while quarantined) and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, recoveries. I'll betcha this will look a whole lot better if someone can reasonably calculate ins and outs.

Too many of our governors (are you listening Governor JB?) are moving the goalposts and changing the objectives. Why? Who knows!

The things we need to be asking for college sports as well as society at large are: 1) What are we afraid of? 2) Is it reasonable to be so afraid we shut down almost every element of society? 3) What do we do next time a contagious disease strikes? Is this now a regular feature of American life?

I believe the only sane response is for everyone to go to the nearest closet in their place of residence and breath through a tube and also eat thru a tube and never come out for the next 18 months
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
We are kind of getting muwarrior69 about his chemistry example, but there are clearly other examples where the hands on is definitely part of the learning process.  I am sure the CSU campuses, and Marquette if it gets to that, will have plans in place.

The larger point is that major universities have been making an online/classroom hybrid work for years already, even in highly technical fields that require hands on training. While there will be an adjustment, this isn’t completely new and students in other states and countries have been getting full degrees for the better part of a generation. None of the hurdles are insurmountable and the value of the degree isn’t at all lessened by the changed experience.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Also, it’s not like employers will be unaware of the circumstance. This is a global event that everyone is cognizant of. Employers aren’t going to say “well the classes of 2020 & 2021 didn’t have the same college experience due to COVID, better not hire anyone for 2-3 years. This is the reality of the moment and we all know the score.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
The larger point is that major universities have been making an online/classroom hybrid work for years already, even in highly technical fields that require hands on training. While there will be an adjustment, this isn’t completely new and students in other states and countries have been getting full degrees for the better part of a generation. None of the hurdles are insurmountable and the value of the degree isn’t at all lessened by the changed experience.

I agree with everything but this last half of a sentence. Content knowledge is only one small part of getting a degree from a university. A big part of the college experience is learning how to be a successful, independent adult who can effectively communicate and work with colleagues in an increasingly diverse workforce. While math, spanish, biology, etc can be taught effectively online, many intrinsic skills like critical thinking, self determination, intercultural communication, etc cannot.

I'm also not convinced that online education is effective for all students. This is anecdotal, but I have way more students tell me that they login into their zoom lectures for attendance purposes but then leave them on while they go watch TV or play video games. I even had one student tell me that the best part of the pandemic is that he can show up to all his classes stoned without getting caught. I have yet to hear any student say that they think that they are learning more now that all classes are online.

The problem isn't limited to students. Many faculty don't treat their online lectures the same as in person ones. My wife is a PHD student. One of her classes is taught be a world renowned expert in qualitative research. Literally wrote the book on qualitative research in sociology. My wife had class with her last semester and said it was one of the best experiences she ever had. Every class went the full three hours and was filled with the professor's expertise and rich discussion with her classmates. She took her next level course this semester and said since the pandemic it has been a huge waste of time. The professor regularly has issues logging on to zoom, there was 1 class where she showed up 45 minutes late because she couldn't figure out zoom. The class that is supposed to be three hours long is now over after 45 to 90 minutes. The class isn't a discussion any more, its the professor reading a script into a camera and asking if anyone has any questions....which no one ever does (possibly because half of them aren't actually paying attention). Every Tuesday after logging off, my wife declares that she is wasting 1000s of dollars on a sham class.

I know my examples are anecdotal, and I'm sure there are plenty of examples of positive experiences. I also am a firm believer that online education has a critical role in providing educational access to distance learners and those from lower socio-economic statuses. However, I strongly believe that the degree is in fact lessened by the changed experience.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
Also, it’s not like employers will be unaware of the circumstance. This is a global event that everyone is cognizant of. Employers aren’t going to say “well the classes of 2020 & 2021 didn’t have the same college experience due to COVID, better not hire anyone for 2-3 years. This is the reality of the moment and we all know the score.

Unless the employers see incomplete skills if those people don't have the hands on experience that is required.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Unless the employers see incomplete skills if those people don't have the hands on experience that is required.

Ultimately, they will make a hire when they need to, even if the best available needs more experience once they get there.

As I said in the post before, in-person labs & hands-on training have been a part of distance learning for years. It may not be the same, but it’s not a reinvention of the wheel.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Another evolved Scoop thread. From no CA teams fall semester to a discussion about whether on-line education is or not effective. I ❤️ Scoop
Goal is National Championship

thekahoona

• Starter

We call that the Silver Tsunami. It affects a number of industries that aren't considered sexy enough by younger generations (not a judgement, just a statement).

Marquetteauburn

• Scholarship Player
Brett McMurphy
@Brett_McMurphy
·
16m
Regarding announcement by CSU Chancellor, San Diego State official says SDSU will offer a hybrid model for classes (some in-person, some virtual). “In athletics, we continue to work through many scenarios, including sports in the fall.”

Andy Katz
@TheAndyKatz
·
21m
A @GoAztecs
official said the plan is still for @Aztec_MBB
to play the 2020-21 season if and when the college basketball season starts on time. This comes after the announcement today that the Cal State University system would be mostly on line for the fall semester.

And the California State system is NOT the UC system. The one that announced no classes today is for like San Diego St and schools like that.

Schools like Stanford, Cal, UCLA are a different system. And yes, I have heard several conference commissioners say that if their leagues don't have all the teams on campus this fall, they would have no problems having a season wit hthe schools that are on campus.

Thank you! That makes me hopeful

Marquetteauburn

• Scholarship Player
You'll Still Be Homeschooling Your Kids This Fall, Dr. Fauci Says
DURING A SENATE COMMITTEE HEARING, FAUCI SAID SCHOOLS REOPENING IN THE FALL IS "A BRIDGE TOO FAR."

May 12
https://bestlifeonline.com/fauci-schools-open-fall/

Anthony Fauci, MD, revealed Tuesday morning that a return to school in the fall "would be a bit of a bridge too far," during a Senate Committee hearing. News of likely continued homeschooling for the next school year will probably be met with groans and frustration by harried parents struggling to balance working from home and also managing remote learning and having their children home 100 percent of the time.

I saw the follow-up Q&A though, and I believe he made a point of saying he did not mean to infer that - only that having a vaccine by the time they were back in school was a bridge too far but that he was not saying they necessarily could not open.

Marquetteauburn

• Scholarship Player
What an incredible overreaction.

In many states, normalcy is returning. We know the number of new cases but we don't know the number of "ins and outs" showing the number of people who either are asymptomatic, light cases (like a work colleague who has worked through a case of coronavirus while quarantined) and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, recoveries. I'll betcha this will look a whole lot better if someone can reasonably calculate ins and outs.

Too many of our governors (are you listening Governor JB?) are moving the goalposts and changing the objectives. Why? Who knows!

The things we need to be asking for college sports as well as society at large are: 1) What are we afraid of? 2) Is it reasonable to be so afraid we shut down almost every element of society? 3) What do we do next time a contagious disease strikes? Is this now a regular feature of American life?

Sure, fair points, but also consider that deaths have not flattened as quickly as we thought they would after the peak. Another 1800 deaths yesterday is about the average of the last 45 days - and that number is 3x the very worst day of deaths from the flu in a bad flu season. Also, it appears even the more conservative (pro re-open) people are concluding that in most of the country only about 7% of the population has had it (only 20% in New York), and that we will not have "herd immunity" until it gets to close to 70%. For those who say just open wide up and let's get to herd immunity, but if we had done that would be get to 800,000 deaths instead of the 80,000?

I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion - I believe we need to open up a lot because otherwise the cost of a quarter of people going bankrupt and the after effect can outweigh a lot more deaths unfortunately. I just worry a bit when people use what are we worried about to mean they don't believe it's a big threat so we not only open up but they also decide the social distancing and masks are bs and we really get a bad run. Some who said I was being alarmist in March wrote things such as  this would not be as bad as H1N1 (14,000 total deaths) or a bad flu season (60,000 deaths) and that 99.99% of people who caught it would be fine (in which case 800 million Americans would have had to already have it and there are only 317 million Americas). Now that we know all that was bull and this thing killed more Americans in a month than the flu ever kills in a year (unless you go back 100+ years to Spanish Flu), I'm just hoping getting things loosened up will happen but with a lot of effort on individuals to take it seriously.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 01:00:10 PM by Marquetteauburn »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Sure, fair points, but also consider that deaths have not flattened as quickly as we thought they would after the peak. Another 1800 deaths yesterday is about the average of the last 45 days - and that number is 3x the very worst day of deaths from the flu in a bad flu season. Also, it appears even the more conservative (pro re-open) people are concluding that in most of the country only about 7% of the population has had it (only 20% in New York), and that we will not have "herd immunity" until it gets to close to 70%. For those who say just open wide up and let's get to herd immunity, but if we had done that would be get to 800,000 deaths instead of the 80,000?

I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion - I believe we need to open up a lot because otherwise the cost of a quarter of people going bankrupt and the after effect can outweigh a lot more deaths unfortunately. I just worry a bit when people use what are we worried about to mean they don't believe it's a big threat so we not only open up but they also decide the social distancing and masks are bs and we really get a bad run. Some who said I was being alarmist in March wrote things such as  this would not be as bad as H1N1 (14,000 total deaths) or a bad flu season (60,000 deaths) and that 99.99% of people who caught it would be fine (in which case 800 million Americans would have had to already have it and there are only 317 million Americas). Now that we know all that was bull and this thing killed more Americans in a month than the flu ever kills in a year (unless you go back 100+ years to Spanish Flu), I'm just hoping getting things loosened up will happen but with a lot of effort on individuals to take it seriously.

“Opening up” is relative.  This is a “city”/close confined spaces disease. Cities, subways, buses, elevators etc.  where i live only thing shut down are the restaurants n bars.  Not an open parking spot in the industrial parks, every factory n business full bore, same for Lowes, Kroger, Walmart etc.  31 cases in my entire county, if Rip van Winkle stopped by would not assume a thing.  31 cases.  In suburban to rural areas by the very nature of peoples separation the disease is very limited. These areas should be opened, as they essential are anyway.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

willie warrior

• All American
You'll Still Be Homeschooling Your Kids This Fall, Dr. Fauci Says
DURING A SENATE COMMITTEE HEARING, FAUCI SAID SCHOOLS REOPENING IN THE FALL IS "A BRIDGE TOO FAR."

May 12
https://bestlifeonline.com/fauci-schools-open-fall/

Anthony Fauci, MD, revealed Tuesday morning that a return to school in the fall "would be a bit of a bridge too far," during a Senate Committee hearing. News of likely continued homeschooling for the next school year will probably be met with groans and frustration by harried parents struggling to balance working from home and also managing remote learning and having their children home 100 percent of the time.
Fauci, the guy who has been a government bureaucrat for 50 years, has not seen or treated a patient for 20 years, and who has been wrong with every predictive model he has espoused during the pandemic, who said in January, Feb. and March all sides of the issue, should be believed because his "opinion" is gospel.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
Fauci, the guy who has been a government bureaucrat for 50 years, has not seen or treated a patient for 20 years, and who has been wrong with every predictive model he has espoused during the pandemic, who said in January, Feb. and March all sides of the issue, should be believed because his "opinion" is gospel.

Hmm.  Trust Dr. Fauci or trust Jerad.  Tough call!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers

Thanks, Willie.  Does Mazos have a seating capacity during this pandemic or can I get a booth next to a random stranger?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
Thanks, Willie.  Does Mazos have a seating capacity during this pandemic or can I get a booth next to a random stranger?

I still have to get to Mazos.  Now might be the time.  Might be a lighter crowd.  Get myself a burger and a shake and then head over to Leon’s for a cone.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter