[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jose Perez commits to Marquette  (Read 26819 times)

Tha Hound

• All American
Re: Jose Perez commits to Marquette
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2020, 05:43:05 PM »
From J/S

The Marquette men's basketball team has added another guard to bolster its backcourt.

Gardner-Webb sophomore Jose Perez announced on Thursday that he will transfer to the Golden Eagles. Perez also considered Memphis, Illinois, Georgia Tech and Iowa State.

The 6-foot-5 Perez averaged 15.2 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game for the Runnin' Bulldogs. He sat out the last 10 games of the season for personal reasons.

MU has added two transfer guards this off-season. Last month, Ohio State freshman D.J. Carton committed to the Golden Eagles. MU needed some reinforcements after losing top scorers Markus Howard (27.8 points per game) and Sacar Anim (13.1).

Both Perez and Carton can apply for waivers with the NCAA to play next season. The NCAA is also considering allowing student-athletes to transfer without having to sit out a season, though the board of directors recommended against voting for immediate eligibility. The vote is scheduled for May 20.

The 21-year-old Perez is a native of the Bronx in New York City. He played for Wings Academy, winning a Public Schools Athletic League title in 2015. Perez also spent a postgraduate year at Putnam Science Academy in Connecticut.

Perez played AAU with the PSA Cardinals and became close with executive director Terrance "Munch" Williams.

"Jose is extremely versatile," Williams said. "One of those Swiss-army knifes. He can shoot the three. Get to the mid-range shot. Can post you.

"Offensive rebound – he can do the dirty work. Don't necessarily have to run plays for him. He can put it on the deck. And one the great things is he's a really good passer."

Perez chose Gardner-Webb over Kent State, Manhattan and LIU Brooklyn. He averaged 15.1 points, 5.7 rebounds and 3.0 assists as a freshman to help the Runnin' Bulldogs win the 2019 Big South tournament and make their first appearance in the NCAA Tournament.

Gardner-Webb, a No. 16 seeding, put a scare into eventual champion Virginia in the first round, taking a 14-point lead in the first half before falling, 71-56. Perez had 19 points, shooting 4 for 6 on three-pointers.

Williams compared Perez to former Virginia standout Ty Jerome.

"Playing from the IQ standpoint as opposed to an athletic standpoint," Williams said.

Perez's long-distance shooting took a dip last season. He shot 26 for 104 (25%) as a sophomore after connecting on 53 of 139 (38.1%) as a freshman.

MU has one open scholarship slot, though sophomore forward Brendan Bailey declared for the NBA draft and if he opts to pursue his professional career another scholarship would became available.

Williams was advising Perez during his transfer process.

"Wojo (MU head coach Steve Wojciechowski) did a great job remaining consistent with him on a daily basis and painting a picture of how he can get better," Williams said. "But also how he can continue to be who is off the court as a young man.

"And then (MU assistant) Dwayne Killings, he built a strong bond with him that was kind of brother-ish. And painting the picture of individual development and being with right with him if he has to sit out."

Man, post the link and let him get his clicks. Don't paste that entire thing here

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2020, 05:43:23 PM »
Killings is the new Stan.  Huh
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2020, 05:59:37 PM »
Welcome, Jose!

Word on the street is he was down to us and ISU and we won out because he wanted to avoid any Perez Hilton jokes. Smart move, young man.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2020, 06:02:02 PM »
I am with everyone else, nice veteran who is already 21 years old after a prep year & 2 years at Gardner Webb. Analytically speaking the expectations are that of a bench player, but a welcomed veteran presence nonetheless. And with the current options it’s a solid pickup.

Does anyone know what issues he was dealing with when he left the team last season?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2020, 06:06:06 PM »
Great to close the deal on a guy with some nice options of where to go. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2020, 06:10:41 PM »
I like it. Excited to read his interview and how hungry he is to be the best he can be. Those are the type of guys that push themselves and ultimately push others to their best.

Best thing about Perez is you can tell he is going to be a competitor. A guy that wears it on his sleeve a bit and gives it his all. We lacked that tenacity a bit last season and frankly since Rowsey. Sometimes some aggressive energy is what teams need.

Plus, he’s going to be a grown man come November 2021. Excited to have him on board. No offense to walk ons, but give me one of these guys every single season over giving away scholarships to a walk on.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2020, 06:45:44 PM »
I am with everyone else, nice veteran who is already 21 years old after a prep year & 2 years at Gardner Webb. Analytically speaking the expectations are that of a bench player, but a welcomed veteran presence nonetheless. And with the current options it’s a solid pickup.

Does anyone know what issues he was dealing with when he left the team last season?

I agree with this analysis.  Get old.  Stay old.  While he struggled some last year, he has proven he can play at D-1 midmajor level.  Seems to have an edge about him that MU could benefit from.  May well round into a starter after his off year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2020, 06:46:52 PM »
Good stuff. If he puts in the work during his redshirt year I could see him grabbing a starting spot or being a valuable piece off the bench.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2020, 07:04:12 PM »
Incase people were wondering, and I know some have their doubts...he was much better his Freshman year than Soph year against top competition. I am by no means saying that to disparage him, he has proven he can do it against high level competition.

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2020, 07:18:16 PM »
Man, post the link and let him get his clicks. Don't paste that entire thing here

I thought it was subscriber only that's why I posted it...changed it to link
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2020, 08:10:07 PM »
Welcome 2 Warrior Nation Jose!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2020, 08:38:11 PM »
Welcome, Jose!

Word on the street is he was down to us and ISU and we won out because he wanted to avoid any Perez Hilton jokes. Smart move, young man.

“Fiserz Perez” has a nice ring to it. Own it.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2020, 11:17:21 PM »
Killings is the new Stan.  Huh
https://twitter.com/john_fanta/status/1258519542138941441?s=21

It bears noting how instrumental Dwayne Killings has been this offseason on the recruiting trailway for @MarquetteMBB. The associate head coach played a key role in getting Jose Perez to transfer to the Golden Eagles. Killings is a high quality assistant in CBB, IMO. #mubb
Goal is National Championship

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2020, 02:42:33 AM »
When's the last time we had a player from New York? There certainly hasn't been one since I started nearly 10 years ago now.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2020, 04:36:48 AM »
When's the last time we had a player from New York? There certainly hasn't been one since I started nearly 10 years ago now.

Dwight Burke was from Brooklyn.  Lazar was from Buffalo.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2020, 05:49:04 AM »
The last guy who attended 4 years in NYC schools would be Artie Green (1977).  Taft High School, where Artie went, is 2.5 miles from Wings Academy, where Perez attended.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2020, 06:50:06 AM »

NYC?  Or state?  Isn't Symir from new york (state)?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2020, 09:05:18 AM »
NYC?  Or state?  Isn't Symir from new york (state)?

Symir is from Syracuse. Often times in my experience, when people mention when is last time someone played from New York, they probably mean New York City, as opposed to several hours away such as Syracuse, Buffalo, etc...but depends on the person.

Incoming peferred walk on Luke Fizulich is from the New York City area, the same suburban NYC high school as former MU target RJ Davis (Stepinac in White Plains)

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2020, 09:12:26 AM »
Next year should now be interesting. There's STILL too many moving parts to know what we have and how good we'll be.

If Carton and Perez are eligible, we'll have pretty good depth and an ability to rotate really good folks into the mix. If Mane comes, oh my lord!!!!!!! One wonders though that if Coach Wojo thought Mr. Mane was coming, would he have been all-in on Mr. Perez? We shall see!

If Messrs. Carton and Perez are not eligible, it's going to be a tough season. None of our existing guards has yet shown an ability to carry a team. Maybe with some health and greater responsibility at least one will step up. But, if Coach Wojo was confident in his guards, he might have looked in another direction. Add to the fact that a good hunk of our team will be freshmen and we better pray for eligibility! We'll need it.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2020, 09:19:12 AM »
Next year should now be interesting. There's STILL too many moving parts to know what we have and how good we'll be.

This is true on the pieces, but even if access to all new transfers, I think getting the team to play together and get used to each other is going to be an immense challenge.  Particularly if there isnt summer workouts, etc.

If Wojo can pull that off and have the team firing on all cylinders by conference season it will be a huge positive mark on his coaching credentials.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2020, 09:32:19 AM »
This is true on the pieces, but even if access to all new transfers, I think getting the team to play together and get used to each other is going to be an immense challenge.  Particularly if there isnt summer workouts, etc.

If Wojo can pull that off and have the team firing on all cylinders by conference season it will be a huge positive mark on his coaching credentials.

In an ideal situation, this would have been a good summer to take an abroad trip to create team bonding and chemistry in advance of the season.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2020, 09:36:05 AM »
Looks like a great replacement for Sacar, in terms of length & ability to drive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3giL2xMhUY

It would be really nice to pick up a shooter.  Even if BB comes back, this team will struggle to spread the floor and score.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »
Looks like a great replacement for Sacar, in terms of length & ability to drive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3giL2xMhUY

It would be really nice to pick up a shooter.  Even if BB comes back, this team will struggle to spread the floor and score.

Nice clip, looks to have a little Jordan Nwora to his game

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2020, 09:52:55 AM »
Symir is from Syracuse. Often times in my experience, when people mention when is last time someone played from New York, they probably mean New York City, as opposed to several hours away such as Syracuse, Buffalo, etc...but depends on the person.

Incoming peferred walk on Luke Fizulich is from the New York City area, the same suburban NYC high school as former MU target RJ Davis (Stepinac in White Plains)

Which is why I asked the OP his intent (especially since Fluffy had mentioned Lazar from Buffalo in his response).

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2020, 10:12:23 AM »
Welcome to Marquette, Jose!  Let’s Go Marquette!

feedback