'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Way too early BE rankings by the Athletic  (Read 6780 times)

muguru

• All American
Way too early BE rankings by the Athletic
« on: May 02, 2020, 07:42:20 AM »
https://theathletic.com/1787460/2020/05/01/way-too-early-preseason-big-east-rankings-for-2020-21/

This appeared in the Athletic yesterday..Eamon Brennan Ranked the BE teams as to how he thinks they will finish next year...for those of you that don't have the athletic...here's where he has MU:

5. Marquette Golden Eagles

Possible starters: Koby McEwen, Greg Elliott, Symir Torrence, Brendan Bailey, Dawson Garcia
Reserves: Theo John, Jayce Johnson, Dexter Akanno, Justin Lewis, Osasere Ighodaro

So, yeah, bad news: Markus Howard will no longer be playing basketball for Marquette University. Fortunately, this is an eventuality the Golden Eagles have been preparing themselves for.

Then again, knowing a thing is going to happen and being able to lessen that thing’s impact are separate matters entirely. Howard wasn’t your everyday go-to scorer. He wasn’t even your everyday national leader in points per game. In 2019-20, no player in Division I used more of his team’s possessions (37.4 percent). He took 40.3 percent of his team’s shots, also the highest mark in the sport, and a completely insane one by any high-major standard. Howard took on this kind of volume and still finished as a generally efficient scorer (113.6 offensive rating, thanks in large part to a combination of elite perimeter shooting and a ton of drawn fouls) — an extreme statistical achievement worthy of serious national player of the year consideration, despite the fact that he played for an 18-12 team.

Therein lies the issue: Even with Howard, Marquette was just six wins above .500 last season, in part thanks to six losses in seven games, the program’s second disappointing finish in two years. Maybe that’s the upside of a serious reset; all of that stuff goes away. There is also the opportunity to see what a player such as guard Koby McEwen, whom coach Steve Wojciechowski has said didn’t show his full capacity this season, in a front-and-center role. Brendan Bailey most likely will return after testing the draft, which he entered on the back of a promising 3-and-D breakout campaign. Theo John provides girth (and hard screens) on the low block, Jamal Cain was efficient as a spot scorer, and Greg Elliott and Symir Torrence look capable of stepping into vacant guard roles between now and when Ohio State transfer D.J. Carton becomes eligible in 2021-22.

The big question surrounds Dawson Garcia, a five-star, 6-foot-10 forward whom Wojciechowski, speaking to The Athletic’s Brian Hamilton, called “as talented a player as I’ve recruited at Marquette.” Garcia fits the mold of talent Marquette has recruited at his size too — one with deep range on his jumper, one excited to stretch the floor. In the absence of an unforeseen breakout in the backcourt, this ranking may be justified by how effective Garcia can be right away, and whether the Golden Eagles can completely recalibrate their post-Howard machinery to best suit his ability. We’ll see.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:47:49 AM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Way too early BE rankings by the Athletic
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 08:14:26 AM »
Is Jayce returning?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 08:18:16 AM »
No he's not.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 08:45:21 AM »
To me the Big East not looking too strong next season. In recent years, UConn has never finished higher than 5th in the AAC and is picked 4th in the Big East? I realize they might have some talent now but wow. MU should be right there in the 3-5 range mix even without Carton.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 08:52:43 AM by geps »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 08:46:19 AM »
To me the Big East not looking too strong next season. UConn has never finished higher than 5th in the AAC and is picked 4th in the Big East? I realize they might have some talent now but wow. MU should be right there in the 3-5 range mix even without Carton.

Yeah, I don't see it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

1SE

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 08:47:12 AM »
This makes me not want to get a subscription.

Jayce, no.

At least a serious possibility of DJ next year, which very much changes the outlook.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 09:48:02 AM »
I think around 5th without Carton is reasonable, I probably would put us 6th. I think with Carton a 3rd-5th place is possible.

The Johnson error is amusing, he left Jamal Cain off the roster, so I assume he accidentally switched the two.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 09:56:30 AM »
I think the overall assessment is fair.  I've brought it up a few times that while we've lost a lot, so have a lot of other teams. How well/how fast the new pieces fit in will go a long way in determining spots 3-7 or so (still think Nova and CU should have the top 2 spots).  Having the top rated recruiting class in the conference as well as (potentially) one of the top transfers makes me more optimistic than I'd be trying to replace Baldwin and McD at BU, or one of the five Seniors at PC.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 09:59:00 AM »
I’m optimistic DJ will play for us next year. Also, still holding my breath on Karim Mane and the hope he’ll be a Warrior (and not from Golden State) this fall.

Assuming DJ alone, we’re a third place team. If Mr. Mane shows up, we’re a contender for all the Big East marbles next year.

Folks, it’s optimism and it’s contagious.

leever

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 10:08:02 AM »
I’m optimistic DJ will play for us next year. Also, still holding my breath on Karim Mane and the hope he’ll be a Warrior (and not from Golden State) this fall.

Assuming DJ alone, we’re a third place team. If Mr. Mane shows up, we’re a contender for all the Big East marbles next year.

Folks, it’s optimism and it’s contagious.
I heard social distancing and masks can help with that type of contagion

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 11:57:07 AM »
I heard social distancing and masks can help with that type of contagion

Naah, I heard it was close personal contact with Nojos on Scoop.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 12:23:07 PM »

Yeah, I don't see it.
if you are referring to a 3-5 place finish w/o DJ, I’d agree with you. I don’t see it either. However, w/DJ...and Bailey returns, and good health for Theo and Elliott, and an improved McE, not to mention adding one more player (shooter or a 4) then definitely a 4th or 5th place finish.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 02:20:23 PM »
if you are referring to a 3-5 place finish w/o DJ, I’d agree with you. I don’t see it either. However, w/DJ...and Bailey returns, and good health for Theo and Elliott, and an improved McE, not to mention adding one more player (shooter or a 4) then definitely a 4th or 5th place finish.

Lotsa "ifs," but all reasonable optimism.

I think the overall assessment is fair.

Me too. He messed up with Jayce/Jamal -- but who can blame him, given how much they look alike and the similarities of their games -- and by saying Theo's not gonna start. But otherwise a decent "research report."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 04:50:37 PM »

Me too. He messed up with Jayce/Jamal -- but who can blame him, given how much they look alike and the similarities of their games -- and by saying Theo's not gonna start. But otherwise a decent "research report."
Theo will start at least in non con and if he is not starting by Big East play were going to be a really good team. Elliot is not starting.
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 05:07:40 PM »
Theo will start at least in non con and if he is not starting by Big East play were going to be a really good team. Elliot is not starting.

Few who watch us at all ever thought Theo wouldn't start. And if those few heard Wojo talk about him recently, they also would know it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 08:56:40 PM »
The other point made clearly in the article is that 3-9 on the list are a toss-up, so the 5 doesn't mean much.  It means the ceiling is 3, and the floor is 9.  That means MU is better than Georgetown and DePaul for sure, and worse than Nova and Creighton for sure. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 09:32:49 AM »
Hmmmm...More mediocrity from the Monarch of Mediocrity, Wojo. Hope we can do better than 5th, like possibly compete for a BEast title, or will we have another late season meltdown as in last 2 years.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 10:51:30 AM »
Hmmmm...More mediocrity from the Monarch of Mediocrity, Wojo. Hope we can do better than 5th, like possibly compete for a BEast title, or will we have another late season meltdown as in last 2 years.

The core of our team next year will be freshmen, albeit very good freshmen. The middle of the pack ranking acknowledges the too many unknowns about us. If DJ plays and Karim comes to MU, we’re still going to struggle a bit but we’ll have one heck of a team.

If Brendan and Koby step out, that’s a different ballgame. As to the late-season meltdown, my hope that won’t happen comes from the depth we may have coming into the year. Keep in mind that last year, we had holes in our roster from the Brothers Hauser’s temper tantrum and from Ed deciding not to continue on. Add to that the injuries to Greg, Koby and Theo and, while I don’t make excuses, it’s at least understandable.

There will be surprises between now and then. But of Coach Wojo can coach up and the newbies gel, we’ll be more than the Traveling Mediocrities.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 04:13:39 PM »
The core of our team next year will be freshmen, albeit very good freshmen. The middle of the pack ranking acknowledges the too many unknowns about us. If DJ plays and Karim comes to MU, we’re still going to struggle a bit but we’ll have one heck of a team.

If Brendan and Koby step out, that’s a different ballgame. As to the late-season meltdown, my hope that won’t happen comes from the depth we may have coming into the year. Keep in mind that last year, we had holes in our roster from the Brothers Hauser’s temper tantrum and from Ed deciding not to continue on. Add to that the injuries to Greg, Koby and Theo and, while I don’t make excuses, it’s at least understandable.

There will be surprises between now and then. But of Coach Wojo can coach up and the newbies gel, we’ll be more than the Traveling Mediocrities.
Dg Mazo's Burger will keep on being a burger, don't pay attention......
Goal is National Championship

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 09:58:43 AM »

;D

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 08:02:03 PM »
Didn't know where else to put it: Mac McClung is returning to Georgetown for his Junior year

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2020, 08:13:29 PM »
Didn't know where else to put it: Mac McClung is returning to Georgetown for his Junior year

Or....Not

Hazan Sports Mgmt
@hazansportsmgmt
Contrary to the recent reports, @mcclungmac
has NOT notified anyone in Georgetown that he is withdrawing from the 2020 NBA draft or returning to Georgetown for the 2020- 21season. Mac has received great feedback thus far from NBA teams.

Hazan Sports Mgmt
@hazansportsmgmt
·
38m
Replying to
@hazansportsmgmt
Mac has received great feedback thus far from NBA teams. We continue to remain focused on his upcoming interviews with NBA teams in preparation for the 2020 draft.

Hazan Sports Mgmt
@hazansportsmgmt
·
37m
@mcclungmac
has drawn a lot of NBA interest with his efficiency in P&R offense and defense ranking him 93rd & 97th percentile in the nation.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 08:44:54 PM »
Or....Not

Hazan Sports Mgmt
@hazansportsmgmt
Contrary to the recent reports, @mcclungmac
has NOT notified anyone in Georgetown that he is withdrawing from the 2020 NBA draft or returning to Georgetown for the 2020- 21season. Mac has received great feedback thus far from NBA teams.

Hazan Sports Mgmt
@hazansportsmgmt
·
38m
Replying to
@hazansportsmgmt
Mac has received great feedback thus far from NBA teams. We continue to remain focused on his upcoming interviews with NBA teams in preparation for the 2020 draft.

Hazan Sports Mgmt
@hazansportsmgmt
·
37m
@mcclungmac
has drawn a lot of NBA interest with his efficiency in P&R offense and defense ranking him 93rd & 97th percentile in the nation.
Just saw this thanks. I got a bleacher report notification saying he was returning but did not see these tweets

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 08:59:14 PM »
"I got a bleacher report notification saying he was returning but did not see these tweets."

Bleacher Report should not be the first source on any sports news.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 11:06:48 PM »
"I got a bleacher report notification saying he was returning but did not see these tweets."

Bleacher Report should not be the first source on any sports news.
Ok.