[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230388 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #2225 on: February 15, 2022, 08:59:03 AM »
From the NYT morning news:

Traffic deaths are surging during the pandemic.
‘Social disengagement’
The United States is enduring its most severe increase in traffic deaths since the 1940s.

It is a sharp change from the recent norm, too. Deaths from vehicle crashes have generally been falling since the late 1960s, thanks to vehicle improvements, lower speed limits and declines in drunken driving, among other factors. By 2019, the annual death rate from crashes was near its lowest level since cars became a mass item in the 1920s.

But then came the Covid-19 pandemic.

Crashes — and deaths — began surging in the summer of 2020, surprising traffic experts who had hoped that relatively empty roads would cause accidents to decline. Instead, an increase in aggressive driving more than made up for the decline in driving. And crashes continued to increase when people returned to the roads, later in the pandemic.

Per capita vehicle deaths rose 17.5 percent from the summer of 2019 to last summer, according to a Times analysis of federal data. It is the largest two-year increase since just after World War II.

This grim trend is another way that two years of isolation and disruption have damaged life, as this story — by my colleague Simon Romero, who’s a national correspondent — explains. People are frustrated and angry, and those feelings are fueling increases in violent crime, customer abuse of workers, student misbehavior in school and vehicle crashes.

“We’re seeing erratic behavior in the way people are acting and their patience levels,” Albuquerque’s police chief, Harold Medina, told Simon. “Everybody’s been pushed. This is one of the most stressful times in memory.”

Art Markman, a cognitive scientist at the University of Texas at Austin, said that the emotions partly reflected “two years of having to stop ourselves from doing things that we’d like to do.” He added: “When you get angry in the car, it generates energy — and how do you dissipate that energy? Well, one way is to put your foot down a little bit more on the accelerator.”

Rising drug abuse during the pandemic seems to play an important role, as well. The U.S. Department of Transportation has reported that “the proportion of drivers testing positive for opioids nearly doubled after mid-March 2020, compared to the previous 6 months, while marijuana prevalence increased by about 50 percent.” (Mid-March 2020 is when major Covid mitigations began.)

Other factors besides the pandemic also affect traffic deaths, of course. But those other factors tend to change slowly — and often counteract each other. Improving technology and safety features reduce traffic deaths, while the growing size of vehicles and the rise of distracted driving lead to more deaths. The only plausible explanation for most of the recent surge is the pandemic.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2226 on: February 15, 2022, 09:10:24 AM »
Clearly from people wearing masks while driving

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2227 on: February 15, 2022, 10:38:54 AM »
Man, did someone put $.50 in you today? Nads, you be you, aina?

Remember doc, most of these people put the ice cream Buffon in the house…heading right off a cliff and the “journalists” are worried about Russiarussiarussia yet?
don't...don't don't don't don't

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2228 on: February 15, 2022, 10:40:00 AM »
Clearly from people wearing masks over their eyes while driving
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2229 on: February 15, 2022, 10:56:36 AM »
Remember doc, most of these people put the ice cream Buffon in the house…heading right off a cliff and the “journalists” are worried about Russiarussiarussia yet?

How is that worth saying? I could say the McDonald's buffoon about trump. The spray tan buffoon. The Coca-Cola buffoon. The golfing buffoon. See how it adds absolutely nothing? All it is is a fact "he like ice cream" followed by a personal opinion "I think he's a buffoon". There's no substance. If you're hung up on him getting ice cream that's fine but admit that you and doc aren't holding your guys to the same standard. Be partisan if that's your desire but at least acknowledge that the two of your not helping divides by holding two different standards.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2230 on: February 15, 2022, 11:02:22 AM »
Ice cream is, apparently, a very important issue.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2231 on: February 15, 2022, 11:05:02 AM »

C'mon man, the demented buffoon is on the phone with Putin, as we type, fending off a showdown in the Ukraine, hey?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 11:26:45 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2232 on: February 15, 2022, 11:12:33 AM »
Well, somebody in this discussion certainly has dementia.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2233 on: February 15, 2022, 11:18:56 AM »
How is that worth saying? I could say the McDonald's buffoon about trump. The spray tan buffoon. The Coca-Cola buffoon. The golfing buffoon. See how it adds absolutely nothing? All it is is a fact "he like ice cream" followed by a personal opinion "I think he's a buffoon". There's no substance. If you're hung up on him getting ice cream that's fine but admit that you and doc aren't holding your guys to the same standard. Be partisan if that's your desire but at least acknowledge that the two of your not helping divides by holding two different standards.

At least you know how to spell "buffoon" correctly though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2234 on: February 15, 2022, 11:25:49 AM »
Trump would have sent troops to help his boss, Putin.
Then he would have put the correspondence in boxes and shipped it to Mar a Lago.   While having Mazars cook his books.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 11:33:48 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2235 on: February 15, 2022, 11:40:45 AM »
Yesterday, FD Joe was lashing out at NFL owners for the lack of black coaches in the NFL. In Dr. Martin Luther King's, I Have a Dream Speech, King longed for the day that a man would be judged by the content of his character, rather than the color of his skin. Guess we haven't accomplished much over the past 60 years, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2236 on: February 15, 2022, 11:43:40 AM »
We all are still longing for that day. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2237 on: February 15, 2022, 11:44:26 AM »
Absolutely Fahrenheit, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2238 on: February 15, 2022, 11:45:43 AM »

10 of 10

I couldn’t stop laughing after reading “Buffon”.  You even capitalized it!  Tremendous work!
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2239 on: February 15, 2022, 11:49:28 AM »
Yesterday, FD Joe was lashing out at NFL owners for the lack of black coaches in the NFL. In Dr. Martin Luther King's, I Have a Dream Speech, King longed for the day that a man would be judged by the content of his character, rather than the color of his skin. Guess we haven't accomplished much over the past 60 years, hey?

Correct we haven't. Wonder why???

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2240 on: February 15, 2022, 11:53:12 AM »
10 of 10

I couldn’t stop laughing after reading “Buffon”.  You even capitalized it!  Tremendous work!

I believe that is Phoebe's last name from Friends.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2241 on: February 15, 2022, 11:54:51 AM »
I believe that is Phoebe's last name from Friends.

Close, that was Buffay.  Either way you cut it, I’m adding Buffon to my vocabulary.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2242 on: February 15, 2022, 12:06:23 PM »
C'mon man, the demented buffoon is on the phone with Putin

The demented buffoon you worship constantly gave in to Putin so that the pee-pee tape - or whatever else the puppetmaster has on the puppet - wouldn't be revealed.

Yesterday, FD Joe was lashing out at NFL owners for the lack of black coaches in the NFL.

Much better to lash out at athletes for peacefully protesting, something FD Don did both before and after he called himself "an ally of all peaceful protesters."

Ya gotta love a guy who, in the process of making fun of a person's intelligence, spels inteligents rong.

Bravo, roQQet, bravo!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #2243 on: February 15, 2022, 12:18:35 PM »
And we wonder why we can't have nice things???

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2244 on: February 15, 2022, 12:22:03 PM »
BUFFON

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #2245 on: February 15, 2022, 01:00:56 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2010/01/18/122701268/i-have-a-dream-speech-in-its-entirety

Instead of quoting one line and missing the context, try reading the entire speech….
It’s a bit discouraging that in many ways he could give the same speech today and it would be apropos.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2246 on: February 15, 2022, 01:11:29 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2010/01/18/122701268/i-have-a-dream-speech-in-its-entirety

Instead of quoting one line and missing the context, try reading the entire speech….
It’s a bit discouraging that in many ways he could give the same speech today and it would be apropos.

Old white guys quoting MLK out of context has become quite the tradition.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2247 on: February 15, 2022, 01:25:29 PM »

Old white guys quoting MLK out of context has become quite the tradition.

“To be or not to be.” -MLK

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2248 on: February 15, 2022, 02:09:31 PM »
Close, that was Buffay.  Either way you cut it, I’m adding Buffon to my vocabulary.

I hear buffon goes good with covfefe.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2249 on: February 15, 2022, 02:48:18 PM »

feedback