collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230661 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #1550 on: July 18, 2021, 11:58:05 PM »
In many southern states (and a few others), those who likely caught COVID-19 at work are almost always denied workers compensation.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article252620273.html

North Carolina, like many GOP-run states, has very strict workers comp laws. Unlike many northern states, the legislature here refused to pass laws making it easier for people who probably got the virus at work to get compensated. Such a law was considered, but business groups spent millions lobbying against it ... and the law, like thousands of COVID-19 sufferers, died.

My wife personally knows 4 people at her hospital who almost certainly were infected on the job. All were denied workers comp. One is a 40-something long-hauler who, more than a year later, is still battling fatigue, migraines and other issues.

And yet, of course, the hospital constantly takes out ads on TV and in newspapers bragging about its "heroes" who worked tirelessly during the pandemic. It has treated many of those heroes like dirt ... but if bragging about them gets the executives (dozens of whom make $1M+) more money, heroes they are!

If they catch covid at work after having the opportunity to  have been vaccinated then why should they get workers comp.  If before, then they should get it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1551 on: July 19, 2021, 08:48:44 AM »
If they catch covid at work after having the opportunity to  have been vaccinated then why should they get workers comp.  If before, then they should get it.

The 4 people this refers to, including the long-COVID victim, each got the virus well before vaccines existed.

Each has since been vaccinated.

Interestingly (or stupidly), this large hospital system requires employees to get a flu shot every year but does not mandate COVID-19 vaccinations.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1552 on: July 19, 2021, 09:52:57 AM »
The 4 people this refers to, including the long-COVID victim, each got the virus well before vaccines existed.

Each has since been vaccinated.

Interestingly (or stupidly), this large hospital system requires employees to get a flu shot every year but does not mandate COVID-19 vaccinations.

From what I understand (could be wrong) but the primary reason business are reluctant to mandate it is because it hasn’t received full FDA authorization yet.

For any legal minds on here, is there liability to the company for mandating a vaccine that is currently under an EUA and not full approval?

And what is taking so long to get full FDA clearance?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1553 on: July 19, 2021, 09:54:59 AM »
From what I understand (could be wrong) but the primary reason business are reluctant to mandate it is because it hasn’t received full FDA authorization yet.

For any legal minds on here, is there liability to the company for mandating a vaccine that is currently under an EUA and not full approval?

It is my understanding that Aurora Advocate Health System, for example, intends to make the Covid vaccine mandatory once it gets the full FDA authorization.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1554 on: July 19, 2021, 09:56:23 AM »

A hospital can most certainly can mandate it right now - and many have.  The reason others don't is because they have enough trouble finding nurses, custodians and food prep workers as it stands.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1555 on: July 19, 2021, 10:32:15 AM »

A hospital can most certainly can mandate it right now - and many have.  The reason others don't is because they have enough trouble finding nurses, custodians and food prep workers as it stands.

Absolutely nothing stopping any hospital or business from mandating it today but is there liability to them if an employee is mandated to get it and ends up having one of the rare side effects associated with these vaccines? 

Does that liability go away with full FDA approval then?

• All American
« Reply #1556 on: July 19, 2021, 10:38:43 AM »
Absolutely nothing stopping any hospital or business from mandating it today but is there liability to them if an employee is mandated to get it and ends up having one of the rare side effects associated with these vaccines? 

I have not seen that.  I do know that if someone catches COVID in the hospital from an unvaccinated worker, that it could cause liability issues there.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1557 on: July 19, 2021, 10:43:34 AM »

I have not seen that.  I do know that if someone catches COVID in the hospital from an unvaccinated worker, that it could cause liability issues there.

Really?!?!  I didn’t realize that, bit of a conundrum they find themselves in.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1558 on: July 19, 2021, 10:59:39 AM »

My wife believes this is the main reason (and perhaps only reason) her hospital has not mandated it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1559 on: July 19, 2021, 11:22:09 AM »
My wife believes this is the main reason (and perhaps only reason) her hospital has not mandated it.

My sister is in health care administration in a deep red state and her company mandated vaccines.  Lawsuits were threatened and some people did quit but the mandate stood/stands.  FWIW, she’s become quite conservative but took the vaccine no questions asked.  Her daughter is high risk, though
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1560 on: July 19, 2021, 12:54:43 PM »
My sister is in health care administration in a deep red state and her company mandated vaccines.  Lawsuits were threatened and some people did quit but the mandate stood/stands.  FWIW, she’s become quite conservative but took the vaccine no questions asked.  Her daughter is high risk, though

Thanks for adding perspective, Unk. And good on your sister for getting the vaccine.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1561 on: July 19, 2021, 01:46:04 PM »
Froedtert South's annual golf outing is for the fully vaccinated only.

Nice.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1562 on: July 19, 2021, 08:09:37 PM »
Inflation? Lol.

Inflation caused by government spending? Lolz.

https://www.youtube.com/v/s0x6UNc3XfQ

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1563 on: July 24, 2021, 09:22:23 PM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1564 on: July 25, 2021, 08:21:59 AM »
The Service Economy upended by the rude crazies...

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/SF-Bay-Area-restaurants-customers-rude-Yelp-review-16333535.php

People are bonkers across the board. The article nails it, nice people are super nice. Fringe people are completely overboard. Prior to this year, we’ve had a handful of residential customers blacklisted, mostly due to non-payment/slow payment issues. We’ve added probably two dozen residential customers to the list since May.

Some of these people we’ve been servicing for 20+ years.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1565 on: July 25, 2021, 09:47:46 AM »
Some of these people we’ve been servicing for 20+ years.

Hot

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1566 on: July 25, 2021, 01:17:25 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1567 on: July 29, 2021, 11:51:50 AM »
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 11:53:29 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1568 on: July 29, 2021, 11:54:53 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1569 on: July 29, 2021, 12:05:25 PM »
Versus a much higher expectation of 8.5%

That’s a good thing - not too hot, not too cold.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1570 on: July 29, 2021, 12:09:55 PM »
Supply chain issues.    Computer chips.   Insane prices for lumber.   Lack of available housing.    Back ahead of pre-pandemic levels.   Imagine if everybody had gotten vaccinated.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1571 on: July 29, 2021, 12:29:42 PM »
Versus a much higher expectation of 8.5%

Lol, big miss so markets are at ATH

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1572 on: July 30, 2021, 08:01:10 PM »
Eviction moratorium expires this weekend.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1573 on: July 30, 2021, 08:47:24 PM »
Eviction moratorium expires this weekend.

It will take many months, if not a year or more, to get all the evictions through the courts.
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #1574 on: July 31, 2021, 06:59:59 AM »
It should end.  At this point, I think its causing more harm than good.

feedback