[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230292 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #1075 on: March 05, 2021, 10:28:45 PM »
Debt and deficit doesn’t have to be on top of the worry list to also expect/want the govt to act as fiscally responsible as possible.  Injecting another 2 trillion into the economy when it’s not necessarily a need but rather a want with much of it brings inflation concerns etc.

So your concern is inflation if the government injects money into the economy? Are you sure that's an actual outcome?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1076 on: March 05, 2021, 10:32:37 PM »
So your concern is inflation if the government injects money into the economy? Are you sure that's an actual outcome?

It’s a concern yes, is that ok with you?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1077 on: March 06, 2021, 06:41:32 AM »
CDC: Coronavirus cases - and deaths - go higher after in-person restaurant dining is allowed. Also, use of masks greatly reduces spread of the virus.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article249716593.html?ac_cid=DM399655&ac_bid=-351608977

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: March 06, 2021, 07:29:25 AM »
Get your vaccinations and start to live again. Science is real, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1079 on: March 06, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »
Debt and deficit doesn’t have to be on top of the worry list to also expect/want the govt to act as fiscally responsible as possible.  Injecting another 2 trillion into the economy when it’s not necessarily a need but rather a want with much of it brings inflation concerns etc.

This is incorrect and disingenuous.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1080 on: March 06, 2021, 07:47:13 AM »

How is it not a need?  And with all of the deficit spending we have had in FORTY years, under both Rs and Ds, inflation hasn't been a problem.  Frankly a little inflation wouldn't be a bad thing but I doubt its going to be an actual worry.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1081 on: March 06, 2021, 07:47:23 AM »
This is incorrect and disingenuous.

What’s incorrect?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1082 on: March 06, 2021, 07:50:36 AM »

How is it not a need?  And with all of the deficit spending we have had in FORTY years, under both Rs and Ds, inflation hasn't been a problem.  Frankly a little inflation wouldn't be a bad thing but I doubt its going to be an actual worry.

Powell mentioned it in his remarks this week, so it’s definitely on their radar.  I’m not claiming to be an expert on this, was asked to clarify my comments so I did.  Strictly an opinion.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: March 06, 2021, 07:50:54 AM »

Are you equally concerned about the Fed, continuously pumping money into the financial system in order to artificially prop up the stock market, so that the rich don't lose their wealth?

Or is it just when the average American is getting some support?

Because the average American definitely needs some support right now. They've been beaten and battered economically from COVID, and many of them are the ones that had to be considered "essential workers," meaning they were more likely to get infected...and then when vaccines were available. In many GOP led states...they were suddenly not so essential anymore.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1084 on: March 06, 2021, 07:54:39 AM »
Are you equally concerned about the Fed, continuously pumping money into the financial system in order to artificially prop up the stock market, so that the rich don't lose their wealth?

Or is it just when the average American is getting some support?

Because the average American definitely needs some support right now. They've been beaten and battered economically from COVID, and many of them are the ones that had to be considered "essential workers," meaning they were more likely to get infected...and then when vaccines were available. In many GOP led states...they were suddenly not so essential anymore.

Try to keep up forgetful.  I said the $900 billion in direct relief to those affected most (essential workers) was something I was fully on board with.  The additional trillion seems to me to warrant more debate outside of a Covid relief bill.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: March 06, 2021, 08:02:44 AM »
What’s incorrect?

https://twitter.com/KJP46/status/1367827597716054029?s=09

This takes less than 10 minutes.

Your post was incorrect, and disingenuous.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1086 on: March 06, 2021, 08:05:18 AM »
https://twitter.com/KJP46/status/1367827597716054029?s=09

This takes less than 10 minutes.

Your post was incorrect, and disingenuous.

Cant you just tell me what’s incorrect? 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: March 06, 2021, 08:08:17 AM »

I fully agree ... as soon as the vast majority of Americans are vaccinated.

With only 10-15% of Americans vaccinated, now is not the time to say "the hell with it" and pretend we have won.

There are still more than 1,000 Americans a day dying of COVID-19. Back in the summer, that was considered crisis level, and not only by scaredy-cats. Now, after two months during which 3,000-4,000 Americans were dying from it every day, things are finally going in the right direction - predominantly because of mitigation tactics like masks and social distancing.

Nevertheless, we have some "leaders" shrugging their shoulders and saying, "All lives matter ... except these. Let's party!" Abbott's move smacks of somebody who was thoroughly humiliated over his handling of the frozen Texas grid and desperately needing a distraction.

The last time Abbott threw Texas wide open, the state became the epicenter of the virus and he had to sheepishly shut everything back down again. Here's hoping that doesn't happen with us so close to the finish line.

Most scientists say he is wrong to pretend COVID-19 has been defeated in Texas. Science is real, hey?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1088 on: March 06, 2021, 08:14:25 AM »
Try to keep up forgetful.  I said the $900 billion in direct relief to those affected most (essential workers) was something I was fully on board with.  The additional trillion seems to me to warrant more debate outside of a Covid relief bill.

What is directly COVID related is a debate we will have to have a different day.

I notice you didn't respond to the trillions pumped into the market, to help save the wealthy.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1089 on: March 06, 2021, 08:50:09 AM »

If that's truly what people were doing, sure.

But the states that are fully opening up and dropping mask mandates are less than 20% vaccinated. I know you aren't worried because you are among the lucky ones to be vaccinated, but it's disingenuous to support full opening after only 20% vaccinations and claim to support science.

It's one or the other: support science, OR support full reopening when we are less than 20% vaccinated.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1090 on: March 06, 2021, 08:58:53 AM »
What is directly COVID related is a debate we will have to have a different day.

I notice you didn't respond to the trillions pumped into the market, to help save the wealthy.

Yup what is directly Covid related is something that there are many differing opinions all of which I believe are being made in good faith.

If you’re referring to the Trump tax cuts yes I had no problem with that.  Or the first round of Covid stimulus and second round.  Half of the third round I also agree with so I’m 80% aligned with govt spending like drunken sailors.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1091 on: March 06, 2021, 10:42:49 AM »

If that's truly what people were doing, sure.

But the states that are fully opening up and dropping mask mandates are less than 20% vaccinated. I know you aren't worried because you are among the lucky ones to be vaccinated, but it's disingenuous to support full opening after only 20% vaccinations and claim to support science.

It's one or the other: support science, OR support full reopening when we are less than 20% vaccinated.

it's not ALL about vaccinations though.  we have had a number of people who have been infected and recovered from covid as well-symptomatic and asymptomatic.  so between the vaccine and the herd immunity, we are getting darn near putting this thing in the category of catching just about anything else. 

you guys seem to be going for totally elimination of the virus from our universe before you give your blessings.  understand, any fatality is very unfortunate, but we live in an uncertain world.  it's time to start allowing people to make their own decisions based on what they feel comfortable with.  we need a diversity of opinions based on reputable epidemiologists with no agenda.  translation-they aren't the highest paid federal gubmint employee nor hooked at the hip with WHO

btw, while people on certain sides of the political spectrum are so quick to denigrate the states that are "re-opening" claiming they are going to start a "super-spreader" event, they keep getting it wrong, yet never have to back track and admit to being as such.  note, the superbowl was supposed to be this highly irresponsible event with predictions of "mayhem" yet only 57 cases have been able to be traced.  didn't see many in the media correcting their "hair on fire" reporting

don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: March 06, 2021, 11:21:58 AM »
Texas opened. Then had to close again cause numbers exploded.

So ...?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1093 on: March 06, 2021, 11:29:31 AM »
It’s a concern yes, is that ok with you?

Sure.

But data shows inflation isn't an actual concern when looking at the last 40 years of government spending.

So I just think you're wrong with regards to inflation concerns.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1094 on: March 06, 2021, 11:44:27 AM »
Yup what is directly Covid related is something that there are many differing opinions all of which I believe are being made in good faith.

If you’re referring to the Trump tax cuts yes I had no problem with that.  Or the first round of Covid stimulus and second round.  Half of the third round I also agree with so I’m 80% aligned with govt spending like drunken sailors.

I thought it was pretty widely accepted at this point that the Trump tax cuts were nothing but a cash giveaway to the rich, so that wasn't what I was referring to.

I'm referring to the trillions the Fed has pumped into the financial system to backstop the market and artificially sustain the stock market. That is going to be our number one cause of inflation moving forward and was designed to make sure the wealthy didn't suffer.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1095 on: March 06, 2021, 01:01:23 PM »
  it's not ALL about vaccinations though.  we have had a number of people who have been infected and recovered from covid as well-symptomatic and asymptomatic.  so between the vaccine and the herd immunity, we are getting darn near putting this thing in the category of catching just about anything else. 

you guys seem to be going for totally elimination of the virus from our universe before you give your blessings.  understand, any fatality is very unfortunate, but we live in an uncertain world.  it's time to start allowing people to make their own decisions based on what they feel comfortable with.  we need a diversity of opinions based on reputable epidemiologists with no agenda.  translation-they aren't the highest paid federal gubmint employee nor hooked at the hip with WHO

btw, while people on certain sides of the political spectrum are so quick to denigrate the states that are "re-opening" claiming they are going to start a "super-spreader" event, they keep getting it wrong, yet never have to back track and admit to being as such.  note, the superbowl was supposed to be this highly irresponsible event with predictions of "mayhem" yet only 57 cases have been able to be traced.  didn't see many in the media correcting their "hair on fire" reporting

You still didn’t answer my question. How can you push for complete opening when vaccinations are at 15% or less? Even if you add people who have been infected, we are probably at a third of the population at best who have some form of immunity...certainly nowhere near where we would need to be to completely reopen everything.

You talk about science, yet you continually ignore it.

I am not talking about politics, drama or histrionics. You seem to be focused on that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: March 06, 2021, 01:13:28 PM »

Daily average of Americans dying from COVID-19 for the week ending Friday was 1,747.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

Please provide links proving that 1,700+ Americans dying every day = "putting this thing in the category of catching just about anything else."

Please provide links showing some other virus in America today (or in the last 50 years) that is/was killing 1,700+ Americans every single day.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and while it was a pleasant surprise that Super Bowl weekend didn't turn out to be catastrophic (thank goodness!), Xmas and Thanksgiving indeed WERE super-spreader events. And "you guys" mocked that, too.

I guess because your hair didn't personally catch fire, it's OK to go ahead and pretend that we have emerged victorious and it's now time to party - no masks, no social distancing, no worries.

Only 1,700+ Americans are dying every day due to COVID-19! Woo-hoo! (But never forget, all life is precious!!!)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: March 06, 2021, 01:19:46 PM »
I fully agree ... as soon as the vast majority of Americans are vaccinated.

With only 10-15% of Americans vaccinated, now is not the time to say "the hell with it" and pretend we have won.

There are still more than 1,000 Americans a day dying of COVID-19. Back in the summer, that was considered crisis level, and not only by scaredy-cats. Now, after two months during which 3,000-4,000 Americans were dying from it every day, things are finally going in the right direction - predominantly because of mitigation tactics like masks and social distancing.

Nevertheless, we have some "leaders" shrugging their shoulders and saying, "All lives matter ... except these. Let's party!" Abbott's move smacks of somebody who was thoroughly humiliated over his handling of the frozen Texas grid and desperately needing a distraction.

The last time Abbott threw Texas wide open, the state became the epicenter of the virus and he had to sheepishly shut everything back down again. Here's hoping that doesn't happen with us so close to the finish line.

Most scientists say he is wrong to pretend COVID-19 has been defeated in Texas. Science is real, hey?

Once vaccinated, your chances of getting covid are extremely slim. And, if you do, getting very ill and/or dying are essentially off the table. Look at it this way, if you were told you had a 95% chance of winning tonight's lottery, you'd buy a ticket, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: March 06, 2021, 01:22:09 PM »
Nevertheless, we have some "leaders" shrugging their shoulders and saying, "All lives matter ... except these. Let's party!"

Nads, why would you bring up Gov. Cuomo, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1099 on: March 06, 2021, 01:27:47 PM »

Once vaccinated, your chances of getting covid are extremely slim. And, if you do, getting very ill and/or dying are essentially off the table. Look at it this way, if you were told you had a 95% chance of winning tonight's lottery, you'd buy a ticket, aina?

So does this mean you are OK with waiting to open things up until everyone has had the opportunity to get fully vaccinated? Because I suspect everyone here would agree that it would be safe to do so at that point.

If not, what was the point of your post, which was premised on people being vaccinated?

feedback