collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230476 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #800 on: December 22, 2020, 02:17:24 PM »
You didn't respond to my point.

It has nothing to do with being a good negotiator. McConnell was not going to allow a vote on any bill with a $1200 payment. Period.

Can Nancy get anything done? Ask the 23,000,000 people on Obamacare.

lmfao.  This is exactly why Democrats are awful too.  So, I'm not surprised you don't see it either.  Ever wonder WHY McConnell caved and went for the $600 'stimulus'?  Could it be that the GOP was worried about the races in GA?  YUP.  And that's it.  He has no altruistic reason to just agree to $600 out of the blue.  As usual, the Democrats have an advantage and fail to press it.  And who gets what they want again?  McConnell and the GOP.  $600 for the plebs and billions for corporations... not to mention his two GA senate candidates get to remove the heat on them.  Do you see why this was dog crap negotiating yet?  She used her ONLY advantage to pull off a one time payment of $600 for working class people... and you're congratulating her?  For the Democrats, capitulation is applauded.  Major yikes.

As for Obamacare, the Democrats had the majority in both houses in 2008, and the Presidency, and the best they could get was Obamacare.  A retread of what Nixon proposed back in the 70's.  Wow, so impressive.  Meanwhile, the teeth has been taken completely out of the ACA, and the cost of healthcare continues to rise... and people who could barely afford it before 2020 can't pay their rent... how are they going to pay for their health insurance?  Short answer, they won't. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #801 on: December 22, 2020, 02:30:01 PM »
The phase-out is at lower income levels this time, so checks will go to fewer people who don't need the money.

The first round of checks phased out at AGI of $99k for an individual or $198k for a couple filing jointly. This time it's $87k and $174k. Too bad they didn't use that to give more to people who really need it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #802 on: December 22, 2020, 03:09:57 PM »
Give it to MU basketball so Woj can recruit more 5 stars. He needs it 'cuz his 3 and 4 stars are tired 9 games inta da season, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #803 on: December 22, 2020, 04:55:57 PM »
lmfao.  This is exactly why Democrats are awful too.  So, I'm not surprised you don't see it either.  Ever wonder WHY McConnell caved and went for the $600 'stimulus'?  Could it be that the GOP was worried about the races in GA?  YUP.  And that's it.  He has no altruistic reason to just agree to $600 out of the blue.  As usual, the Democrats have an advantage and fail to press it.  And who gets what they want again?  McConnell and the GOP.  $600 for the plebs and billions for corporations... not to mention his two GA senate candidates get to remove the heat on them.  Do you see why this was dog crap negotiating yet?  She used her ONLY advantage to pull off a one time payment of $600 for working class people... and you're congratulating her?  For the Democrats, capitulation is applauded.  Major yikes.

As for Obamacare, the Democrats had the majority in both houses in 2008, and the Presidency, and the best they could get was Obamacare.  A retread of what Nixon proposed back in the 70's.  Wow, so impressive.  Meanwhile, the teeth has been taken completely out of the ACA, and the cost of healthcare continues to rise... and people who could barely afford it before 2020 can't pay their rent... how are they going to pay for their health insurance?  Short answer, they won't.

You don't understand how Obamacare works. If people only make enough where they can barely pay their rent, there is virtually no cost for Obamacare.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #804 on: December 22, 2020, 05:28:29 PM »
You don't understand how Obamacare works. If people only make enough where they can barely pay their rent, there is virtually no cost for Obamacare.
Except for the copays and deductibles, and medicine

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #805 on: December 22, 2020, 06:53:29 PM »

LOL.  I HAVE LITERALLY USED THE MARKETPLACE EVERY YEAR SINCE IT OPENED, AND ASSIST MY EMPLOYEES, ANNUALLY, TO DO THE SAME.  I sit next to them and explain what a deductible is, what a copay is, and help them to understand all of this.  So, you could say, I'm pretty well versed in Obamacare, bucko.

You know what, screw it, I'll do the work for you even.  I ran an average employee, and they'd be looking at $211/month for a silver plan.  This is 8.13% of their household income.  They're eligible for $351/mo TAX CREDIT.  This doesn't account for deductibles.  So that is what they pay if they never go to the hospital, and only go for the checkups.  Looks like the total possible out of pocket max for this plan is $6,800.  Well, as long as you stay in network.

https://www.kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 07:06:54 PM by Hards_Alumni »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #806 on: December 22, 2020, 08:03:30 PM »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 08:07:10 PM by jesmu84 »

jesmu84

• All American

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #808 on: December 22, 2020, 08:25:08 PM »
https://twitter.com/RealSpikeCohen/status/1340912327667888129?s=19

That is flat out wrong. There is enhanced unemployment, aid for schools and higher education, aid for states for testing and vaccine distribution, rental assistance, etc. Also a good portion of what’s going to corporations is the PPP program, which is supposed to prevent people from needing unemployment in the first place.

I’m not saying it’s great, but the author of that tweet is either lying or dumb.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #809 on: December 22, 2020, 09:02:07 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #810 on: December 22, 2020, 09:09:43 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/12/22/congress-tax-breaks-stimulus/?outputType=amp

*Sigh*

Am I a jerk if I hope Trump vetoes this?
Probably.   The country needs what it can get now.   There will be more proposals later.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #811 on: December 22, 2020, 10:02:59 PM »
Am I a jerk if I hope Trump vetoes this?

Classic.

His own Treasury Secretary is behind the $600 checks, and the Senate Majority Leader has been blocking any kind of deal for months and months and months ... and here we are.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #812 on: December 23, 2020, 07:10:51 AM »
Classic.

His own Treasury Secretary is behind the $600 checks, and the Senate Majority Leader has been blocking any kind of deal for months and months and months ... and here we are.
I'm with Tulsi on this one.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #813 on: December 23, 2020, 07:52:54 AM »

And Rashida.  8-)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #814 on: December 23, 2020, 12:32:59 PM »

Me too. But I'm not for starting the process over from Square 1. Get some $$$ out now and then go at it again next month.

The lamest duck has ignored the process for weeks and weeks because there's only so much time left in the day after all the golfing and subverting of democracy. But now he's suddenly overruling his own treasury secretary, apparently to distract from his pardoning of his Felon Club. He's a master at shouting, "Squirrel!" that's for sure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #815 on: December 23, 2020, 01:42:50 PM »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #816 on: December 23, 2020, 02:06:36 PM »
My favorite buried amendment is the budget increase for the congressional-only healthcare clinic.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #817 on: December 23, 2020, 02:45:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/KyleKulinski/status/1341558985858686978?s=19

*Eyeballs emoji*

Hmmm why would Trump do this?  How does this benefit Trump.  Oh, it is an assault on the GOP, who he feels has abandoned him and his attempt to overthrow the election.  So he is going to do the next best thing to benefiting himself, hurting those who didn't want to help him. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #818 on: December 23, 2020, 02:55:11 PM »
It’s win/win for him, and that’s all it is about.  Congress R’s cave, DTJ congratulates himself, R’s hold their ground...DTJ, look, I was fighting for you, but let’s primary everyone who dare speak against me.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #819 on: December 23, 2020, 03:56:30 PM »
Hmmm why would Trump do this?  How does this benefit Trump.  Oh, it is an assault on the GOP, who he feels has abandoned him and his attempt to overthrow the election.  So he is going to do the next best thing to benefiting himself, hurting those who didn't want to help him.

It’s win/win for him, and that’s all it is about.  Congress R’s cave, DTJ congratulates himself, R’s hold their ground...DTJ, look, I was fighting for you, but let’s primary everyone who dare speak against me.

Yep - it's all about DJT asserting control, taking credit for other peoples' ideas, and punishing 'disloyal' Republicans. In one move, he can congratulate himself for doing what Democrats and a few Republicans (Josh Hawley) have been asking for all along, while sending a message to Republicans who he feels abandoned him in his quest to have the election overturned.

And everybody knows that if this goes through, he will be on TV touting the 'Trump stimulus checks.'

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #820 on: December 23, 2020, 04:46:43 PM »

There are two reasons.

1. Revenge against McConnell for acknowledging that Biden won. Unwavering loyalty is not enough for trump. McConnell committed the unpardonable sin.

2. Its political so I won’t go into it now. If it happens, I will be here to say I told you so (even if I haven’t said it here).

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #821 on: December 23, 2020, 05:05:40 PM »
You're all correct, of course.

But I'm here for the public Trump/Pelosi vs Mcconnell fight.

*Insert popcorn eating emoji*

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #822 on: December 23, 2020, 05:22:11 PM »
You're all correct, of course.

But I'm here for the public Trump/Pelosi vs Mcconnell fight.

*Insert popcorn eating emoji*

No fight. Pelosi will push for $2000. trump will back down. McConnell holds all the cards.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #823 on: December 23, 2020, 05:37:57 PM »

No fight. Pelosi will push for $2000. trump will back down. McConnell holds all the cards.

Trump doesn’t back down, regardless of whether he is right or horribly wrong. See, e.g., claims that the election was stolen.

Mitch’s calculus is based on whether refusing to give in to Trump might put the GA runoffs in jeopardy. And Trump doesn’t give a rat’s a$$ about the runoffs; he just wants adulation.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #824 on: December 23, 2020, 07:10:00 PM »

Trump doesn’t back down, regardless of whether he is right or horribly wrong. See, e.g., claims that the election was stolen.

Mitch’s calculus is based on whether refusing to give in to Trump might put the GA runoffs in jeopardy. And Trump doesn’t give a rat’s a$$ about the runoffs; he just wants adulation.

By back down, I mean he will just change his mind and say he got what he wanted.