[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230294 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #425 on: October 21, 2020, 02:56:55 PM »

I find it hard to believe also. Especially, when one candidate has accomplished more in 47 months, than the other has in 47 years, aina?

You make a good point. It's difficult for any president to oversee the deaths of 220K+ Americans on his watch, the unemployment of millions of Americans on his watch, and the permanent closure of hundreds of thousands of businesses on his watch, all while stoking the worst racial unrest in America since the 1960s.

Accomplishments galore, oona!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #426 on: October 21, 2020, 03:24:16 PM »

Yes, but that 35 million number is artificially low, perhaps significantly so. A few examples why:

(1) several states (including NY, which is kinda big) still haven't reported absentee/early voting numbers at all;

Early voting,as opposed to absentee, in NY doesn't start until next week. Easier to vote in Kentucky. Thank you Governor Cuomo. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #427 on: October 21, 2020, 06:00:00 PM »

I find it hard to believe also. Especially, when one candidate has accomplished more in 47 months, than the other has in 47 years, aina?

Remember this next time you whine about politics on the board.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #428 on: October 21, 2020, 06:28:14 PM »
Early voting,as opposed to absentee, in NY doesn't start until next week. Easier to vote in Kentucky. Thank you Governor Cuomo.

Isn't this the 1st time New Yorkers can vote early in a presidential race? Wasn't Cuomo the one that signed it into law?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #429 on: October 21, 2020, 07:01:08 PM »
Senate voted on the $500B plan, which McConnell admitted was largely for show, and it got rejected.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-stimulus-500-billion-plan-fails-as-larger-deal-deadline-looms-174627586.html

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #430 on: October 21, 2020, 08:24:46 PM »
 >:(

Isn't this the 1st time New Yorkers can vote early in a presidential race? Wasn't Cuomo the one that signed it into law?

Its a little more complicated than that.
Yes this is the 1st time New Yorkers can vote early in a presidential race.
Yes Cuomo is the one that signed it into law.
Yes Como has been governor for 9 years- so why did it take so long? This is the first time the Dems have controlled both houses of the state legislature. The Republicans always controlled the State Senate even though there were more Democratic Senators , due to a group called the Independent Democratic Conference (IDC) , Democrats who voted as Republicans   in return for quid pro quos.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Democratic_Conference

Cuomo could have broken up the IDC any time he wanted, but chose not to. Why? "Mr. Cuomo, a Democrat, has at times benefited from that strange reality: Having a divided Legislature allowed him to position himself as a deal-making centrist."
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/09/nyregion/cuomo-stewart-cousins-new-york-senate-democrats.html

Finally, the IDC members were trounced in the last election, the Dems took over the Senate, and various positive laws have been passed which Cuomo has had no choice but to sign.- see the revolutionary 2019 NY Rent Reform Law.

So why does Cuomo, who the whole world thinks of as a big liberal, continue to govern like a Republican unless dragged kicking and screaming by the overwhelming Democratic majority in the state? Ask Andy.

In any event, starting in a few days NYers, members of one of the most liberal states on the planet, will be able to vote early. And it only took nine years.

I'm told that someday, despite Andy's best efforts, , NY might actually legalize reefer.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 08:35:30 PM by Mutaman »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #431 on: October 22, 2020, 12:12:51 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Muta. Always good to hear from someone closer to the situation.

BTW, I always considered him to be a centrist. Never understood why people saw him as a Lib.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #432 on: October 22, 2020, 01:14:12 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Muta. Always good to hear from someone closer to the situation.

BTW, I always considered him to be a centrist. Never understood why people saw him as a Lib.

I hate labels but gun to my head , I'd call Andy a Rat Face. Have never voted for him. But I will say that he has provided some strong leadership during covid. We were blindsided out here but having a leader stand and say "put on masks, social distance, and wash your hands and I'll keep the bars shut until you do," has helped. What a concept. And as a whole, New Yorkers have acted with a lot of common sense throughout this ordeal, with a few exceptions.
Andy's endless pissing contests with the mayor serve no purpose though.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #433 on: October 22, 2020, 07:19:10 AM »
>:(
Its a little more complicated than that.
Yes this is the 1st time New Yorkers can vote early in a presidential race.
Yes Cuomo is the one that signed it into law.
Yes Como has been governor for 9 years- so why did it take so long? This is the first time the Dems have controlled both houses of the state legislature. The Republicans always controlled the State Senate even though there were more Democratic Senators , due to a group called the Independent Democratic Conference (IDC) , Democrats who voted as Republicans   in return for quid pro quos.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Democratic_Conference

Cuomo could have broken up the IDC any time he wanted, but chose not to. Why? "Mr. Cuomo, a Democrat, has at times benefited from that strange reality: Having a divided Legislature allowed him to position himself as a deal-making centrist."
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/09/nyregion/cuomo-stewart-cousins-new-york-senate-democrats.html

Finally, the IDC members were trounced in the last election, the Dems took over the Senate, and various positive laws have been passed which Cuomo has had no choice but to sign.- see the revolutionary 2019 NY Rent Reform Law.

So why does Cuomo, who the whole world thinks of as a big liberal, continue to govern like a Republican unless dragged kicking and screaming by the overwhelming Democratic majority in the state? Ask Andy.

In any event, starting in a few days NYers, members of one of the most liberal states on the planet, will be able to vote early. And it only took nine years.

I'm told that someday, despite Andy's best efforts, , NY might actually legalize reefer.

Respectfully, having both lived in NYC and other places across the country, I would disagree that Cuomo has a liberal reputation. The only people that say that or think that are people with an agenda intentionally trying to misrepresent him for personal gain. This isn't much different than with other centrists, Obama, Clinton, Biden, etc...many people (even fsr outside of NYC) are well aware of Cuomo's policies and governing. If you take center, middle left, and far left as the categories, many are well aware Cuomo is center.

I would say many people are far less aware of the state legislature and your good information there.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #434 on: October 22, 2020, 07:43:55 AM »
Respectfully, having both lived in NYC and other places across the country, I would disagree that Cuomo has a liberal reputation. The only people that say that or think that are people with an agenda intentionally trying to misrepresent him for personal gain. This isn't much different than with other centrists, Obama, Clinton, Biden, etc...many people (even fsr outside of NYC) are well aware of Cuomo's policies and governing. If you take center, middle left, and far left as the categories, many are well aware Cuomo is center.

I would say many people are far less aware of the state legislature and your good information there.

Yup, large swaths of New York STATE are very conservative.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #435 on: October 22, 2020, 08:05:57 AM »

True Blue Connecticut still has no early voting.  And before COVID-19 it was very hard to get an absentee ballot.  The Governor made a declaration and allowed for COVID-19 as an excuse for an absentee ballot in the primaries but his "emergency declaration powers" technically expired in September.  So the legislature held a special session and passed the COVID-19 excuse for absentee ballots for the general election. 
Apparently, to make "no excuse" absentee ballots or early voting permeant law requires an amendment to the the state constitution.  The legislature has to approve a referendum question for a general election then the referendum has to pass and then they have to pass a law.  And there might be 2/3 majority approval requirements along the way.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #436 on: October 22, 2020, 08:53:02 AM »

I hate labels but gun to my head , I'd call Andy a Rat Face. Have never voted for him. But I will say that he has provided some strong leadership during covid. We were blindsided out here but having a leader stand and say "put on masks, social distance, and wash your hands and I'll keep the bars shut until you do," has helped. What a concept. And as a whole, New Yorkers have acted with a lot of common sense throughout this ordeal, with a few exceptions.

Andy's endless pissing contests with the mayor serve no purpose though.

Agree completely, and especially on the underlined. There have been occasions where it seems he publicly disagrees just for the sake of disagreeing, and then later goes with the mayor's plan anyway...like with the NYC restrictions in the zip codes with recent surges.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #437 on: October 22, 2020, 10:45:10 AM »
True Blue Connecticut still has no early voting.  And before COVID-19 it was very hard to get an absentee ballot.  The Governor made a declaration and allowed for COVID-19 as an excuse for an absentee ballot in the primaries but his "emergency declaration powers" technically expired in September.  So the legislature held a special session and passed the COVID-19 excuse for absentee ballots for the general election. 
Apparently, to make "no excuse" absentee ballots or early voting permeant law requires an amendment to the the state constitution.  The legislature has to approve a referendum question for a general election then the referendum has to pass and then they have to pass a law.  And there might be 2/3 majority approval requirements along the way.

Don't people realize they can just make up an excuse?  When I worked for the WI GOP we even sent out mailers instructing people on how to request an absentee ballot.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #438 on: October 22, 2020, 12:45:42 PM »
Don't people realize they can just make up an excuse?  When I worked for the WI GOP we even sent out mailers instructing people on how to request an absentee ballot.

Yep. "I will be out of town November 3." It isn't as though someone is gonna track your whereabouts. And even if they did, you could just say your plans changed at the last minute, after your sent in the ballot.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #439 on: October 23, 2020, 08:32:29 AM »
The cure is worse than the disease?  It's just the disease....and always has been

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/22/business/economy/economy-coronavirus-lockdown-iowa.html

MU82

• All American
« Reply #440 on: October 23, 2020, 09:15:43 AM »
The cure is worse than the disease?  It's just the disease....and always has been

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/22/business/economy/economy-coronavirus-lockdown-iowa.html

I just read this piece, Frenns. The pandemic IS the economy. Control the pandemic, develop an effective vaccine and get the public to take it, and THEN the economy will come back, albeit probably not as fast as most would want.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #441 on: October 23, 2020, 10:07:51 AM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #442 on: October 23, 2020, 10:32:36 AM »

Yep. Many of us have recognized the false dichotomy of 'fight pandemic' vs 'support economic recovery' for a long time. The truth is that to support economic recovery in any lasting way, we need to first get the pandemic under some semblance of control.

The article gives the example of Iowa, but North Dakota is another good example. Never a lockdown, still no mask mandate...and leading the country in per capita cases. My daughter lives in Fargo, and tells me of mostly empty restaurants and shops, businesses closing, people out of work. The economy is struggling because the pandemic is raging on...NOT because of any (non-existent) lockdown or mask mandate.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #443 on: October 23, 2020, 02:48:12 PM »
Or as a wise man said: "I'm gonna shut down the virus, not the country."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #444 on: October 25, 2020, 11:44:08 AM »
My concern economy wise is we have already done substantial damage, spent trillions, in the background of historically low taxes that from a budget perspective was already untenable.

Besides trillions more in deficit spending, we have no tools at our disposal to help dig us out of this mess.

So, the longer it takes us to get control of COVID, the deeper the long-term financial hole the nation is in, and the more likely that whoever is in Washington next term, has no chance of digging us out.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #445 on: October 25, 2020, 12:02:10 PM »
My concern economy wise is we have already done substantial damage, spent trillions, in the background of historically low taxes that from a budget perspective was already untenable.

Besides trillions more in deficit spending, we have no tools at our disposal to help dig us out of this mess.

So, the longer it takes us to get control of COVID, the deeper the long-term financial hole the nation is in, and the more likely that whoever is in Washington next term, has no chance of digging us out.

Agreed. Whether it is Trump or Biden, the economy is gonna be hurting for a long time. And the longer we wait to get the virus under some semblance of control (likely not until Inauguration Day, at the earliest), the harder it's going to be to recover.

And as the bill goes up, so does the national debt that we pass on to our children and grandchildren.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #446 on: October 25, 2020, 12:44:15 PM »
Going to have to raise some taxes and cut some spending.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 12:45:54 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #447 on: October 25, 2020, 01:05:01 PM »

Agreed. Whether it is Trump or Biden, the economy is gonna be hurting for a long time. And the longer we wait to get the virus under some semblance of control (likely not until Inauguration Day, at the earliest), the harder it's going to be to recover.

And as the bill goes up, so does the national debt that we pass on to our children and grandchildren.

The problem is, I don't think the average American is aware of the long-term impacts of all of this. Rather, they take a very short-term perspective on it all.

I don't think that they understand that current economic conditions (unless something major like COVID), is a result of years old policies. And that current decisions, will impact the economy for the next 5-10 years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #448 on: October 25, 2020, 01:17:52 PM »
Going to have to raise some taxes and cut some spending.

Neither party is adept at the second half of that equation.

For example, Obama asked Simpson and Bowles to give him recommendations for the economy and he then ignored it, especially the “cut spending” part.

For another, Dubya did the tax cut and created a new welfare program and oversaw two unfunded, unnecessary wars.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 11:37:31 AM by MU82 »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #449 on: October 26, 2020, 06:58:11 AM »

feedback