collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230620 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #200 on: May 29, 2020, 07:02:41 PM »
Because it has been clearly demonstrated that throwing money at bad school systems improves them.

Ah the typical lecturing suburban response...

Throwing money no. Wise investment yes.

The key is figuring out what works and what doesn’t.

What clearly doesn’t work is taking resources away. So what we have decided to do is lift up the few at the expense of the many. Because systematic change is too hard and expensive.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #201 on: May 29, 2020, 08:17:00 PM »
Ah the typical lecturing suburban response...

Throwing money no. Wise investment yes.

The key is figuring out what works and what doesn’t.

What clearly doesn’t work is taking resources away. So what we have decided to do is lift up the few at the expense of the many. Because systematic change is too hard and expensive.

So all the current money is wisely spent and there isn't a single penny that could be redirected to better use?

I am all for successful programs.  But the unsuccessful ones never seem to go away, so it is indeed throwing money at a problem and hoping something sticks.

And by the way, my kids went to a majority-minority high school in a school district whose spending is lower than most of the rest of the suburbs (and Chicago as well).  They got a great education. The kids whose parents weren't engaged, not so much.  If you can find something to spend money on that would make parents give a crap about their kids' education, I would be all for it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #202 on: May 29, 2020, 08:35:09 PM »
You will never get accurate aggregated information on tips because most servers and bartenders don't report all of their tips for tax purposes, and very few people in general would admit that to anyone who is writing it down..

You didn't read the links, did you?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #203 on: May 29, 2020, 08:40:02 PM »
Because it has been clearly demonstrated that throwing money at bad school systems improves them.

Yup. This is the standard answer. People love charter schools for kids from low-income families ... right until they're asked to pay for them.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #204 on: May 29, 2020, 09:07:48 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2020, 04:59:20 PM »
Most of the best schools in the state, and several of the best schools in the country, are in Cook County.
18 of the top 25 high schools in the US News rankings are in Cook.
15 of the top 30 "traditional" (i.e. not magnet) high schools are in Cook.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/illinois/rankings

And, fwiw, median property taxes in Cook County are lower than in the collar counties.

I struggle with USNews analyzing colleges as valid, but they have resources to do this for high schools?  Their college ranking are often dismissed and I cannot imagine much credibility going to an even lower rung on the academic scale.  Some of the high schools they list have wonderful reputations, but some also are trading on that reputation more than what they deliver to the student and these rankings. 

Years ago the Atlantic wrote something about how flawed and meaningless these are and I doubt much has changed.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2020, 09:38:02 PM »
I struggle with USNews analyzing colleges as valid, but they have resources to do this for high schools?  Their college ranking are often dismissed and I cannot imagine much credibility going to an even lower rung on the academic scale.  Some of the high schools they list have wonderful reputations, but some also are trading on that reputation more than what they deliver to the student and these rankings. 

Years ago the Atlantic wrote something about how flawed and meaningless these are and I doubt much has changed.
[/s]

I stopped reading.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2020, 09:34:01 AM »
This isn't about covid, and marginally about economy (which is a different word than education).  MU82 - stop it - you derailed this one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2020, 09:46:03 AM »
This isn't about covid, and marginally about economy (which is a different word than education).  MU82 - stop it - you derailed this one.

Yessir. I will step away from this thread for several days. Upon return, I will limit my posts to those about COVID-19 economy. Here's hoping others do, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #209 on: June 05, 2020, 07:59:16 AM »
Surprisingly good news on employment today. Far from out of the woods, but a glimmer of hope.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/unemployment-rate-falls-13-3-percent-economy-gains-surprise-2-n1223236

reinko

• All American
« Reply #210 on: June 05, 2020, 08:21:41 AM »
Surprisingly good news on employment today. Far from out of the woods, but a glimmer of hope.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/unemployment-rate-falls-13-3-percent-economy-gains-surprise-2-n1223236

Good news yes, but all the gains were from temporary laid off folks coming back to work (dentist clinics, healthcare workers, construction...) full-time employees net lost another 295K jobs or so.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #211 on: June 05, 2020, 08:37:11 AM »
Good news yes, but all the gains were from temporary laid off folks coming back to work (dentist clinics, healthcare workers, construction...) full-time employees net lost another 295K jobs or so.

Isn't good news that people previously laid off/furloughed are getting their jobs back?

@byHeatherLong: This is telling. Look at the where the jobs were gained v. lost in May

GAINS
Restaurants: +1.4 million
Construction: +464,000
Healthcare: +312,000
Retail: +368,000
Manufacturing: +225,000
Business: +127,000

LOSSES
Government: -585,000
Hotels: -148,000
Air transport: -50,000

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #212 on: June 05, 2020, 08:38:27 AM »
Air transport and hotels will also return as well.  The government jobs though....
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

reinko

• All American
« Reply #213 on: June 05, 2020, 08:57:13 AM »
Isn't good news that people previously laid off/furloughed are getting their jobs back?

@byHeatherLong: This is telling. Look at the where the jobs were gained v. lost in May

GAINS
Restaurants: +1.4 million
Construction: +464,000
Healthcare: +312,000
Retail: +368,000
Manufacturing: +225,000
Business: +127,000

LOSSES
Government: -585,000
Hotels: -148,000
Air transport: -50,000

I said it was good news...but again, FTE still dropped 300K plus, and I am hopeful these gains will remain when PPP runs out
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 08:59:00 AM by reinko »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #214 on: June 05, 2020, 09:02:39 AM »
Air transport and hotels will also return as well.  The government jobs though....

It's just people the POTUS is firing for disagreeing with him
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #215 on: June 05, 2020, 09:06:21 AM »
I said it was good news...but again, FTE still dropped 300K plus, and I am hopeful these gains will remain when PPP runs out

I probably should have added a qualifier like "far from out of the woods."   ;)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #216 on: June 05, 2020, 09:25:09 AM »
A glimmer of hope during a time when we need hope.

Now we need those back at work and those patronizing the businesses to take masks, cleaning and social distancing more seriously than ever, lest we lose these jobs again in a second wave.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #217 on: June 05, 2020, 09:42:12 AM »
Shocking upswing for June 5th, no doubt.   I would have expected those numbers in July or August.

I do wonder if those +1.4m restaurant jobs will stick around.   25-50% capacities on a low margin business is not sustainable.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #218 on: June 05, 2020, 10:04:31 AM »
What happens when PPP runs out?  Do some postponed layoffs then happen?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #219 on: June 05, 2020, 10:47:23 AM »
What happens when PPP runs out?  Do some postponed layoffs then happen?

Yup.  Today is the day it runs out, so any of our employees who are not working starting Monday will be eligible for UI again.  Since congress as decided to rest on their laurels the assistance is over. 

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #220 on: June 05, 2020, 12:17:24 PM »

Good news.  Have to think that glimmer of hope is because we started to open back up.  If we had not, the unemployment numbers would remain dismal.  These are the trade offs I have been talking about.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #221 on: June 05, 2020, 02:16:19 PM »
Yup.  Today is the day it runs out, so any of our employees who are not working starting Monday will be eligible for UI again.  Since congress as decided to rest on their laurels the assistance is over.

The important folks got theirs.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #222 on: June 05, 2020, 02:34:11 PM »
And now Trump says the improved jobs numbers make today "a great day" for George Floyd.

Seriously, I am not making this up....

Trump calls improved jobs numbers 'great day' for George Floyd

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-calls-improved-jobs-numbers-great-day-george/story?id=71089946

tower912

• All American
« Reply #223 on: June 05, 2020, 04:00:42 PM »
Could have at least wished Breonna Taylor a happy 27th birthday.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #224 on: June 05, 2020, 04:40:18 PM »
Re COVID economy and not politics....

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/888/topics/816151-corona-virus-impact-to-las-vegas-market?page=14

Fascinating thread from another board I read occasionally. Optimists and pessimists exist there as here, but it’s hard to see good times for Vegas in the future - especially with NV unemployment hovering near 30%.

feedback