[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 229954 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #1175 on: March 12, 2021, 12:24:55 PM »
https://www.tcenergy.com/announcements/2020/2020-10-28-tc-energy-awards-more-than-$1.6-billion-in-american-contracts-to-build-keystone-xl-project-to-create-over-8000-union-jobs-in-2021/

I mean come on.  To suggest that EO had no impact on American jobs is just burying your head in the sand.  There is a sane argument to make for the project and against the project without ignoring reality.

It has a huge impact on my county in Wisconsin.  Its largest employer had a huge contract that was tied to the Keystone pipeline.  Another firm in Eau Claire had a large contract as well.  The cancelling of the project is projected to cost thousands of well-paying union jobs in Wisconsin alone.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1176 on: March 12, 2021, 01:27:04 PM »
It has a huge impact on my county in Wisconsin.  Its largest employer had a huge contract that was tied to the Keystone pipeline.  Another firm in Eau Claire had a large contract as well.  The cancelling of the project is projected to cost thousands of well-paying union jobs in Wisconsin alone.

I found this on Google on Keystone and seemed pretty fair.  15-50 jobs mostly in Canada are they only permanent ones and the other 1000's are strictly temporary for less 6-8 months.
https://www.statesman.com/story/news/politics/politifact/2021/01/22/keystone-pipeline-jobs-lost-joe-biden-executive-order-cancel-fact-check/6673822002/

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1177 on: March 12, 2021, 01:53:57 PM »
I found this on Google on Keystone and seemed pretty fair.  15-50 jobs mostly in Canada are they only permanent ones and the other 1000's are strictly temporary for less 6-8 months.
https://www.statesman.com/story/news/politics/politifact/2021/01/22/keystone-pipeline-jobs-lost-joe-biden-executive-order-cancel-fact-check/6673822002/

Plenty of people here would love to be in a position to scoff at 8 months of guaranteed good pay with the possibility that something else will come up after that.
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1178 on: March 12, 2021, 02:18:48 PM »
Plenty of people here would love to be in a position to scoff at 8 months of guaranteed good pay with the possibility that something else will come up after that.

They'll all just become computer programmers, hey?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1179 on: March 12, 2021, 02:25:23 PM »
They'll all just become computer programmers, hey?

Hey now, these guys aren't coal miners.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1180 on: March 12, 2021, 02:59:57 PM »
There was little reason for Biden to use an EO to scuttle that pipeline and the thousands of U.S. jobs that went with it. He didn’t mean it to be an anti-jobs measure, but that’s what it ended up being.

Probably Biden’s worst decision as president.

No president is perfect. This one thankfully has done more to effectively deal with the coronavirus in 50 days than his predecessor did in the previous 9 months.

Indeed, for most of those 9 months, the since-deposed president actively and personally put thousands upon thousands upon thousands of Americans’ lives and health at risk.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1181 on: March 12, 2021, 03:10:10 PM »
???

I am not sure that building pipelines to carry oil somewhere to eventually gets exported is the best way to create jobs anywhere.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1182 on: March 12, 2021, 03:26:18 PM »
There was little reason for Biden to use an EO to scuttle that pipeline and the thousands of U.S. jobs that went with it. He didn’t mean it to be an anti-jobs measure, but that’s what it ended up being.

Probably Biden’s worst decision as president.

No president is perfect. This one thankfully has done more to effectively deal with the coronavirus in 50 days than his predecessor did in the previous 9 months.

Indeed, for most of those 9 months, the since-deposed president actively and personally put thousands upon thousands upon thousands of Americans’ lives and health at risk.

He did it to undo Trump for undoing Obama.
As Fluffy, building pipelines to carry oil somewhere to eventually gets exported is the best way to create jobs anywhere.
Besides the Canadians rejected their own pipeline from the Tar Sands to Vancouver area.
Now back to COVID.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1183 on: March 12, 2021, 05:35:50 PM »
He did it to undo Trump for undoing Obama.
As Fluffy, building pipelines to carry oil somewhere to eventually gets exported is the best way to create jobs anywhere.
Besides the Canadians rejected their own pipeline from the Tar Sands to Vancouver area.
Now back to COVID.

I agree on why Biden did it. And my last two paragraphs were about COVID.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1184 on: March 12, 2021, 09:06:55 PM »
I agree on why Biden did it. And my last two paragraphs were about COVID.

All good.
I was referring to myself, so as to not go off on a "Trump sucks" rant.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1185 on: March 15, 2021, 08:02:34 AM »
Good news, not widely reported, for those who needed to claim unemployment benefits last year due to COVID-19:

Within the American Rescue Plan, there is a provision allowing most recipients to exclude benefit payments up to $10,200 when filing 2020 taxes:

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/forms-publications/new-exclusion-of-up-to-10200-of-unemployment-compensation

I just found out about this yesterday, and shared the info with a couple of very grateful friends who lost their jobs for 6 months last year through no fault of their own. Spread the word.

• All American
« Reply #1186 on: March 15, 2021, 08:48:56 AM »
Good news, not widely reported, for those who needed to claim unemployment benefits last year due to COVID-19:

Within the American Rescue Plan, there is a provision allowing most recipients to exclude benefit payments up to $10,200 when filing 2020 taxes:

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/forms-publications/new-exclusion-of-up-to-10200-of-unemployment-compensation

I just found out about this yesterday, and shared the info with a couple of very grateful friends who lost their jobs for 6 months last year through no fault of their own. Spread the word.

What if you already filed and received your refund?  I had a child that filed partial unemployment when his hours were cut and paid tax on the benefit?  File an amended return?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1187 on: March 15, 2021, 08:54:26 AM »
What if you already filed and received your refund?  I had a child that filed partial unemployment when his hours were cut and paid tax on the benefit?  File an amended return?

Yep. It's what CPAs recommend if you want to get that $$$.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1188 on: March 18, 2021, 06:01:42 AM »

Sultan -

Just saw this in NYT:

The new law made the first $10,200 of unemployment benefits received in 2020 tax-free for people with incomes of less than $150,000, a significant change for many whose jobs were affected by the pandemic. The I.R.S. said last week that it would provide a worksheet for paper filers and coordinate with tax-software companies. The agency also asked those who were eligible for the tax break but had already filed their 2020 returns not to file an amended return until it had issued additional guidance.

• All American
« Reply #1189 on: March 18, 2021, 07:54:55 AM »
Sultan -

Just saw this in NYT:

The new law made the first $10,200 of unemployment benefits received in 2020 tax-free for people with incomes of less than $150,000, a significant change for many whose jobs were affected by the pandemic. The I.R.S. said last week that it would provide a worksheet for paper filers and coordinate with tax-software companies. The agency also asked those who were eligible for the tax break but had already filed their 2020 returns not to file an amended return until it had issued additional guidance.

Alright thanks!  I will pass that along.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1190 on: March 23, 2021, 03:51:50 PM »

Alright thanks!  I will pass that along.

A CPA friend of mine says the IRS is now saying that they will automatically issue refunds for those who already have filed, so an amended return shouldn’t be necessary.

I am no tax expert and have not checked this out yet, but wanted to let folks know as soon as I heard. Suggest those affected do some checking.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1191 on: April 13, 2021, 08:56:41 AM »

Please.  If we haven't had rampant inflation with all the tax cutting and deficit spending of the last forty years, we certainly aren't going to have it now.

Hopefully just a one month hiccup but inflation rate from Feb to March isn’t promising. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1192 on: April 13, 2021, 06:40:07 PM »
Hopefully just a one month hiccup but inflation rate from Feb to March isn’t promising. 

Meh, CPI is catching back up with the dip it had at the beginning of the pandemic. The jump isn't much if you zoom out a bit

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CPIAUCSL

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1193 on: April 13, 2021, 07:37:21 PM »

The Fed would actually like to see a small amount of inflation.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1194 on: April 16, 2021, 09:33:48 AM »

The Fed has a mammoth balance sheet it needs to deal with. It'll be hard to do so without inflation.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1195 on: April 16, 2021, 12:34:21 PM »

Bring on inflation. I'd like to pay my mortgage with inflated dollars.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1196 on: April 16, 2021, 02:02:51 PM »
The Fed has a mammoth balance sheet it needs to deal with. It'll be hard to do so without inflation.

There's already rampant inflation in the stock market, housing and healthcare.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1197 on: April 16, 2021, 02:57:32 PM »
There should be inflation coming.  Raw materials have sky rocketed the last 4-5 months.  That pass along is coming.  And it will be quite a while before everyone catches up.  Tied in with the world wide container & boat shortage that existed well before the Suez Canal thing made it worse.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1198 on: April 16, 2021, 03:24:20 PM »
There should be inflation coming.  Raw materials have sky rocketed the last 4-5 months.  That pass along is coming.  And it will be quite a while before everyone catches up.  Tied in with the world wide container & boat shortage that existed well before the Suez Canal thing made it worse.

Raw materials skyrocketed 9+ months ago when the supply chain was first disrupted. Inflation has been 'imminent' for years now with the tax cuts & handouts from the last administration superheating the economy even before the coronavirus stimulus. The Fed/Treasury are confounded as to why there's not much inflation yet, which is why they've softened their inflation target from 'max of 2%' to 'average of 2% over the next few years'.

I'm not a MMT guy, but we should keep printing money for the time being.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1199 on: April 16, 2021, 03:30:07 PM »
Raw materials skyrocketed 9+ months ago when the supply chain was first disrupted. Inflation has been 'imminent' for years now with the tax cuts & handouts from the last administration superheating the economy even before the coronavirus stimulus. The Fed/Treasury are confounded as to why there's not much inflation yet, which is why they've softened their inflation target from 'max of 2%' to 'average of 2% over the next few years'.

I'm not a MMT guy, but we should keep printing money for the time being.

https://youtu.be/1HmGLV46L60

Also, I have learned that cpi goods have been spared, so far, from inflation effects. However, inflation has run rampant in other sectors not included in our typical inflation determining measurables.

feedback