[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Peloton  (Read 2683 times)

Coleman

• All American
Peloton
« on: April 22, 2020, 10:20:36 AM »
My wife is convinced we need this. Does anyone else have it? Is it worth the price tag?

tower912

• All American
Re: Peloton
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 10:24:47 AM »
Happy wife, happy life. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 10:26:39 AM »
Do you need it?  Of course not.  But get it.  The women who ride it in the commercials look pretty hot so it must be effective.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 10:28:45 AM »
My wife is convinced we need this. Does anyone else have it? Is it worth the price tag?

Sexist pig.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 10:32:56 AM »
Good thread.  My wife has recently found the same conviction.

We are doing the free 90-day trial currently being offered.  She takes multiple classes a day (Yoga, HIIT, etc.) and I have recently started doing yoga with her.  There are a good variety of instructors and classes of varying lengths and experience levels.  I am a beginner while she is advanced but she will warm up with a 20-30 minute beginner class with me, then will continue on with something a bit more challenging for herself.

As for the bikes themselves, I have used them at multiple hotels...they are good bikes and I have found the classes/instructors to be engaging.  We have talked about purchasing the bike, but have not pulled the trigger yet as we both like going to the gym (Lifetime Fitness) and we're not sure we want to pay for a bike and a gym membership at the same time.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 10:46:37 AM »
Yeah sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm talking about the $2,500 bike. I'm sure we'll end up paying for classes too...

I told her I'll buy it for her, but this is anniversary, Christmas, and birthday all put together for 2020. Not sure how well that was received.

Lest people think I am a controlling pretty boy husband, we both get vetoes on stuff over $1000. So she could do the same to me.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:50:39 AM by Coleman »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 11:00:05 AM »
So can someone fill me on the value of this bike?

Why spend $2,500 (!!) on an exercise bike, when you can scoop a cheaper one at the Goodwill for $100 or less?  Does it really offer $2,400 more in value? 

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 11:08:22 AM »
Anyone with experience on Peloton v. Echelon?  Echelon is way cheaper and claims to be as good.  Once the bike is purchased, what's the monthly nut?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 11:57:47 AM »
Love my Peloton. $40/month for the subscription, but it's worth it if you use it. We did the 0% financing, which made it a palatable cash outlay.

I've actually had a harder time getting on the bike during this whole ordeal, but that's because I'm burnt from balancing work and toddlers all day.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 03:37:57 PM »
Anyone with experience on Peloton v. Echelon?  Echelon is way cheaper and claims to be as good.  Once the bike is purchased, what's the monthly nut?

My wife has been researching and the issues with Echelon she'd found is the app isn't as good, subject to freezing, etc. The bike seems to be nearly as high of quality as Peloton.

We miss our Peloton that is on our building's gym. The bike is great, being a freewheel you don't get the momentum you get with most "spin" bikes, you actually have to work. I don't know if it's worth $2500 but it is definitely a high-quality product and workout.

One issue with Peloton is demand - it's currently a 5-7 week wait for one. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:47:45 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 08:58:58 PM »
theBabyDavid's momma swears by it. Really great workout. Being home-based it works with career and kid. The subscription is an essential motivational tool so get it.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 01:55:34 PM »
Mite find da Sybian moor of a workout, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

1141now3

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 01:14:58 PM »
I bought one about a year ago because my wife pushed it, and I was intrigued.  I've used it more than any other piece of exercise equipment I've owned, so I believe I'm getting my $ worth.  It's expensive, but to me it's all about the programming and content not available on the $100 bike. To each their own.   So far, I've found it to be a high quality product with a ton of challenging content. 
I haven't tried or seen Echelon, but I find it hard to believe it has the amount of options/classes as Peloton.  That's not important to everyone, but to me it's hard to get bored w/ all of the programming available.  Not just the spin.  My wife also enjoys the yoga programming they offer.   

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 01:45:17 PM »
I bought one about a year ago because my wife pushed it, and I was intrigued.  I've used it more than any other piece of exercise equipment I've owned, so I believe I'm getting my $ worth.  It's expensive, but to me it's all about the programming and content not available on the $100 bike. To each their own.   So far, I've found it to be a high quality product with a ton of challenging content. 
I haven't tried or seen Echelon, but I find it hard to believe it has the amount of options/classes as Peloton.  That's not important to everyone, but to me it's hard to get bored w/ all of the programming available.  Not just the spin.  My wife also enjoys the yoga programming they offer.

Thanks for the input!

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 01:54:39 PM »
My wife and I have had one for a couple months now and both of us use it pretty regularly.  We have young kids so getting to the gym with any regularity was becoming more challenging so she suggested it and we haven't looked back.  And the quarantine/Safer at Home orders have only solidified our decision.  Peloton keeps expanding their content and their instructors have a diverse set of styles and music so there is a little something for everyone.

So if you don't mind the large price tag, its definitely worth it.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 03:35:26 PM »
3 years in. Love the damn thing. It's keeping my sanity during shelter-in-place.

You'll pay more than $2500 after tax, shoes (for you & her), mat, etc.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 10:43:31 PM »
Someday, perhaps, we'll just pull the trigger on the "real" thing.

In the mean time, after doing some research online, we swung for the "DIY" route.  We purchased a Sunny Fitness B1805 bike for a little under 500$; we added on SPD pedals (~50) and a cadence tracker (~40).  Bike itself is nice and we've enjoyed using it so far.  We use the Peloton app (free for three months, 20$ after), and either play it on my iPad or mirror it on the TV.  The cadence tracker and HR monitor display on the app, which works out nicely.

Overall, we've been happy.  It takes an extra step or two (I have take a few moments to turn on the mirror and pull up the cadence tracker), but we've been pretty happy so far.  On the flip side, its not as slick and we miss some of the data you'd get with the peloton, but its pretty easy to correlate resistance and we have been happy with the workouts (plus the stretch/strength etc that comes with the peloton app).

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 01:18:09 PM »
3 years in. Love the damn thing. It's keeping my sanity during shelter-in-place.

You'll pay more than $2500 after tax, shoes (for you & her), mat, etc.

The Bowflex bike rates just as high as the Peloton in term of quality and you can use the Peloton app with it (along with many others), paying $13 am month for that subscription.  However, you don’t get the stats during the ride, so if you’re like me and get competitive with the leaderboard (I really picked it up once to beat “Minny Badger) you don’t get that using the app but save over $1000.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 01:26:15 PM »
Anyone here tried Tonal?