[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Protests  (Read 75622 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Protests
« Reply #800 on: June 11, 2020, 09:41:11 PM »
None of us had ever heard of NASCAR truck-driving loser Ray Ciccarelli, but we all can be quite certain he's a d-bag.

https://twitter.com/SteveHofstetter/status/1271103965682298880?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

@sportspickle: "I'm sick and tired of politics being injected into sports ... unless it's Southern politics of the 1860s, which are very important" -- op/ed by angry NASCAR fan on the banning of the Confederate flag

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #801 on: June 11, 2020, 10:09:25 PM »
It’s like having a museum to honor revolutionary war heroes and devoting most of the space to Benedict Arnold because he was a great general.
Arnold really was a great general. He was key to winning Saratoga and Gates, who was a poor general, got all the credit.

Just like when your boss keeps taking credit for all your good ideas so you quit and go to a competitor.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #802 on: June 11, 2020, 10:29:07 PM »
It’s like having a museum to honor revolutionary war heroes and devoting most of the space to Benedict Arnold because he was a great general. Lee was a great general who sort of went downhill  once Jackson was killed. Pickets Charge is a military disaster on a par with the Charge of the light Brigade.

MacArthur had as much military success as Lee and had a much more significant tenure as superintendent of West Point, yet he barely rates a mention at the museum. As a  military mind Sherman was probably 50 years ahead of his time yet he likewise is snubbed. Ike -D-Day?
No doubt in my mind this is the result of lobbying by the Loss Cause who have perpetuated the cult of Robert E Lee and who have glorified a traitor as some kind of national hero.

https://www.history.com/news/how-the-cult-of-robert-e-lee-was-born

That comparison doesn’t hold up cause it’s about West Point and it’s graduates, not just the Civil War. Lee was already very accomplished, had been Super of West Point, and was going to be one of the leaders of the Union before he defected.

I think Lee’s story and place in history is just compelling for many reasons. And I don’t see West Point as the type of place to bow to revisionist history nonsense.  Lee wasn’t viewed as a contemptible traitor even immediately after the war. Lee commanded respect and “favorable” treatment as soon as it ended. From northerners all the way to Grant himself. This isn’t some odd campaign in the last 100 years to whitewash his legacy. It was rather intact from the start.

However, I do agree about the under appreciation of Sherman. Maybe due to his March, but he was a military genius through and through.

Arnold really was a great general. He was key to winning Saratoga and Gates, who was a poor general, got all the credit.

Just like when your boss keeps taking credit for all your good ideas so you quit and go to a competitor.

I wouldn’t say he was a “great” general. He was key at Saratoga, but his career up to that point was basically as a decently talented a**hole who couldn’t get along with anyone and almost got himself canned multiple times and then tried to quit but Washington wouldn’t let him. Dude couldn’t get along with any of his peers, but was lucky to be favored by ol George W

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #803 on: June 11, 2020, 11:03:23 PM »
  Lee wasn’t viewed as a contemptible traitor even immediately after the war. Lee commanded respect and “favorable” treatment as soon as it ended. From northerners all the way to Grant himself. This isn’t some odd campaign in the last 100 years to whitewash his legacy. It was rather intact from the start.

Not accurate. He was indicted for treason, his property at Arlington was taken away without compensation, he was prohibited from holding public office, and, for a period of time, he was barred from voting. Only a desire for reconciliation saved him.
"Many northerners felt Lee had been lucky to escape the hangman’s noose".

https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/169189

" The New York Times was a leading proponent for treason charges against Lee, writing in a June 4, 1865 editorial: “He has ‘levied war against the United States’ more strenuously than any other man in the land, and thereby has been specially guilty of the crime of treason, as defined in the Constitution of the United States,” and “whether Gen. Lee should be hung or not, is a minor question.”
https://www.civilwarprofiles.com/grant-protects-lee-from-treason-trial/

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 11:11:04 PM by Mutaman »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #804 on: June 11, 2020, 11:58:50 PM »
Keep up the purely political shit and we'll shut down the whole covid board.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 12:06:07 AM by rocky_warrior »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #805 on: June 12, 2020, 05:37:57 AM »
'bout tyme, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #806 on: June 12, 2020, 07:04:39 AM »
I wouldn’t say he was a “great” general. He was key at Saratoga, but his career up to that point was basically as a decently talented a**hole who couldn’t get along with anyone and almost got himself canned multiple times and then tried to quit but Washington wouldn’t let him. Dude couldn’t get along with any of his peers, but was lucky to be favored by ol George W
Strategically and tactically he was, but if to be "great" he also has to be not-an-a*hole", then I agree with you.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #807 on: June 12, 2020, 07:30:25 AM »
Strategically and tactically he was, but if to be "great" he also has to be not-an-a*hole", then I agree with you.

Tactically, yes he was outstanding. Strategically, no idea he was never able to exercise independent command except for the Virginia tidewater campaign and that ended at Yorktown so........
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #808 on: June 12, 2020, 07:47:17 AM »

Thank you.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #809 on: June 12, 2020, 07:54:28 AM »
I think Lee’s story and place in history is just compelling for many reasons. And I don’t see West Point as the type of place to bow to revisionist history nonsense. Lee wasn’t viewed as a contemptible traitor even immediately after the war. Lee commanded respect and “favorable” treatment as soon as it ended. From northerners all the way to Grant himself. This isn’t some odd campaign in the last 100 years to whitewash his legacy. It was rather intact from the start.

The "revisionist history nonsense" is actually the praise, honor and recoginition he had been receiving for being a traitor.  I really don't care what his contemporaries thought of him at the time.  I don't care how "facinating" he was as a general.

His memory is now getting the treatment it deserves.

Really everything that is happening now is happening because there has never been any sort of honest reckoning about how we have dealt with race in this country.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 08:06:53 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #810 on: June 12, 2020, 08:04:51 AM »

Arnold is "recognized" at the Saratoga memorial except his name does not appear and only his boot is depicted on the memorial statue.

Arnold's events are reenacted locally here in New Haven every year.  It's called Powder Day.  He remains nameless but the reenactment takes place right after Lexington & Concord and it's of him leading militia volunteers to the New Haven Colony Powder House and demanding the guns and ammunition.  They agreed and gave to Arnold and his men marched to Boston to join the militia gathering there.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #811 on: June 12, 2020, 08:09:58 AM »
To be fair, Lee was the head of West Point for almost 5 years. And Confederate ties aside, unlike Bragg or Benning, he was a legendary military commander and one of the only reasons the South ever had a fighting chance.

Not excuse his Confederate allegiance, but he was one of the top military minds of the US’s first century as a nation. I get the reverence from a purely military perspective, especially with his West Point ties

Watch the Grant documentary that ran over Memorial Day weekend.  I'm through 2 of 3 episodes.

During the war, Southerners said Grant only one in the West because he wasn't going against Lee.  The people who knew Grant said Lee was only winning because he wasn't directly fighting against Grant.  Sherman was one of Grant's closest Generals and the one Grant trusted the most. 

Documentary says Grant recognized Southerners as fellow Americans who went astray in their ideals.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 08:12:54 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #812 on: June 12, 2020, 09:46:15 AM »
None of us had ever heard of NASCAR truck-driving loser Ray Ciccarelli, but we all can be quite certain he's a d-bag.

https://twitter.com/SteveHofstetter/status/1271103965682298880?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
The CNN article talked about Bubba Wallace, stating he is, "the only full-time African American driver in NASCAR's Cup Series",

The way I read it is that he is a full time African American. Are there part time African Americans?

That being said, this Dino Ciccarelli guy is trying to make himself relevant. Not gonna happen.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #813 on: June 12, 2020, 09:55:40 AM »
The CNN article talked about Bubba Wallace, stating he is, "the only full-time African American driver in NASCAR's Cup Series",

The way I read it is that he is a full time African American. Are there part time African Americans?

That being said, this Dino Ciccarelli guy is trying to make himself relevant. Not gonna happen.

That one crazy white lady who "identifies as black"
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #814 on: June 12, 2020, 10:58:55 AM »

So this dude sponsors his own car and has never even lead a lap in a single race.  One top ten finish.

As someone said on Twitter yesterday, "at least the Confederacy finished second once."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #815 on: June 12, 2020, 11:32:29 AM »
Trump on confronting bigotry and prejudice in America:

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1271477932662427649?s=19

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #816 on: June 12, 2020, 11:51:22 AM »

Quite the career change.  In fact, Dino is probably more relevant than this Ray guy.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #817 on: June 12, 2020, 11:53:26 AM »
Quite the career change.  In fact, Dino is probably more relevant than this Ray guy.

Hah nice
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #818 on: June 12, 2020, 12:08:32 PM »
For a thread that started out as "Protests" against the Covid lockdowns, which was political enough, it's degenerated into a purely political thread, with an extremely minuscule number of posts that are related to Covid.  How it took this long for Rocky's response is hard to figure out.

IBTL.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #819 on: June 12, 2020, 12:14:17 PM »

I used to work with a Ray Ciccarelli.  For real!  The Ray I knew used to like to talk about grilling food all the time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #820 on: June 12, 2020, 12:26:48 PM »
I saw a (I’m sure photoshopped) screenshot of Ciccarelli Tweeting his retirement and NASCAR replying something along the lines of “We had to Google who you are. We’re sure you’re 12 fans will be disappointed. Enjoy your retirement.” Pretty funny.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #821 on: June 12, 2020, 01:29:39 PM »
Dino was a punk and a goon, so they may share the same brain.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #822 on: June 12, 2020, 06:39:14 PM »
A special kind of stupid, and a special kind of racist ... and he's an effen doctor!

https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article243473721.html?

An Ohio lawmaker who asked if “the colored population” is hit harder by COVID-19 because they “do not wash their hands as well as other groups” has been fired from his job as an emergency room doctor, news outlets reported.

Ohio Sen. Steve Huffman asked the question Tuesday during a hearing on whether to declare racism a public health crisis, the Dayton Daily News reported.

“We know it’s twice as often, correct?” Huffman asked, referring to the rate of infection among African Americans. “Could it just be that African Americans — the colored population — do not wash their hands as well as other groups?"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #823 on: June 12, 2020, 09:06:11 PM »
About that Jacksonville Convention date:

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1271403162063208449?s=19

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #824 on: June 12, 2020, 09:13:30 PM »
About that Jacksonville Convention date:

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1271403162063208449?s=19

Honestly how sick are the people who plan these events and allow Trump to continue to do crap like this? How does a single person support this garbage? It’s genuinely messed up.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter