collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Food supply chain issues  (Read 5845 times)

injuryBug

• Team Captain
Re: Food supply chain issues
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2020, 02:25:00 PM »
So much for supply and demand, eh?

You can blame it on Sheboygan County, every store I have gone to the past 2 weeks has a limit of 2 packages of meat per customer.  This past week was the first week I could buy chicken since this all started

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2020, 02:48:27 PM »
Nothing is full-proof but I guarantee you that companies are already doing this, including contact tracing on the plant floor and keeping employees separate so if someone does get sick the interactions are minimal.  The companies that are proactive anyway.  Those that are not are having to do things like the meat packers (shut down if they cant tell where it was).
Even with these measures, there's still going to be a lot of gray area for these plants. Is it contact only?  Within 6 feet?  Do you send a whole production line home for two weeks - with pay?  At what temps do you send people home?  For how long?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2020, 02:51:03 PM »
Even with these measures, there's still going to be a lot of gray area for these plants. Is it contact only?  Within 6 feet?  Do you send a whole production line home for two weeks - with pay?  At what temps do you send people home?  For how long?

That's my point.  This is happening now--they are trying to figure this out to keep plants running as best as possible.  In this environment nothing is air-tight and as such you have seen announcements where plants have been shut down, like what MUCT posted in the other thread. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2020, 02:54:39 PM »
I think this is more of a production and supply chain issue. The whole process was geared towards food service companies, that serve cafeterias, restaurants, etc. That demand is gone, and the production facilities didn't retool for domestic household consumption.

The domestic household consumption can't scale up capacity quick enough. So although there is demand, they cannot increase supply. The result is source production (farms) are having to dump product so it doesn't go to waste, all while the consumer ramps up demand (increased prices).

So the farmers are screwed, and the average Joe is screwed, all because our economic system is not particularly adaptive to this scenario unless we execute things like the defense production act. We should have done that for food supply, using the food service companies to stock food pantries that are running barren.

Thanks for the insight

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2020, 04:08:01 PM »
You can blame it on Sheboygan County, every store I have gone to the past 2 weeks has a limit of 2 packages of meat per customer.  This past week was the first week I could buy chicken since this all started

It’s interesting how variable this is. My wife went to Costco here in Rochester a couple weeks ago, and there was simply no meat to be purchased, fresh or frozen. The closest she could find was frozen salmon and cod.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2020, 04:13:06 PM »
Haven't had any problems with meat in Waukesha at all. Girlfriend said something about rationing at some point but I've been able to buy for 5 houses no problem.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2020, 04:35:44 PM »
I've been to 5 grocery stores/big box stores in the past 24 hours. Can't find bread flour or active dry yeast

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2020, 04:48:34 PM »
Downtown Minneapolis Target in Sunday... looking for shredded cheese for tacos. NOTHING in stock except for HUNDREDS of mozzarella packages. So bizarre
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2020, 05:12:54 PM »
Buy a lot of my meat at a butcher shop around the corner.   Full display cases as of this morning.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2020, 07:42:57 PM »
No chicken in The Jewels this weekend.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2020, 07:49:36 PM »
I was at Meijer on Saturday .. completely fully stocked with meat of all kinds.

.. No baking soda nor TP, though.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2020, 07:52:46 PM »
I was at Meijer on Saturday .. completely fully stocked with meat of all kinds.

.. No baking soda nor TP, though.

It’s funny how this has rippled through the supply chain.  A month ago. No Starbucks coffee, flour.  Last week all good there, but less meat and no sugar. 

I don’t know just need to roll with it and be patient.  There is plenty of food in this country and it will find its way to the right place.  You can get creative too. The local farms have some great programs on bulk meat purchases.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2020, 08:19:04 PM »
350 cases (so far)from one meat processing facility in a state without a shelter in place policy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback