collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Glenn Beckert  (Read 3401 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
RIP Glenn Beckert
« on: April 12, 2020, 04:02:25 PM »
Dead at 79.  Very difficult to strike out.  Cubbie in the 60’s and early 70’s.  Gold glover, hit .340 one year and the best eye for pitches.

RIP
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

dgies9156

• All American
Re: RIP Glenn Beckert
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 06:09:59 PM »
He had an incredible year in 1972. All-Star, hit second in the league to Joe Torre.

As a Cardinal fan, it was tough to see him and Don Kessinger up the middle. They were really good.

RIP Mr. Beckert.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 07:00:41 PM »
RIP glenn

before the brewers came to milwaukee, i was a huge cub fan!  we had this 30 foot antennae and got WGN perfectly.  there was nothing more satisfying for a little kid to be able to tune to channel 9 at 1 pm during summer vacation and hear jack brickhouse saying "let's play 2"!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 12:39:15 AM »
He had an incredible year in 1972. All-Star, hit second in the league to Joe Torre.

As a Cardinal fan, it was tough to see him and Don Kessinger up the middle. They were really good.

RIP Mr. Beckert.

Good defensively. Really brutal on offense. Between the two of them they had a total of 3 years of OPS+ over 90. That is really, really bad. No power. No Speed.

But, RIP Glenn.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 04:31:15 PM »
Good defensively. Really brutal on offense. Between the two of them they had a total of 3 years of OPS+ over 90. That is really, really bad. No power. No Speed.

But, RIP Glenn.

Brutal offensively?  His role wasn’t to hit in the middle of the lineup.  End of the day he was a four time all-star, finished in the NL MVP voting three times, scored nearly 100 runs three our four times.  That was his role and he did it well.

RIP
— Plato

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 09:10:01 PM »
Brutal offensively?  His role wasn’t to hit in the middle of the lineup.  End of the day he was a four time all-star, finished in the NL MVP voting three times, scored nearly 100 runs three our four times.  That was his role and he did it well.

RIP

Well below league average year after year? Yes, brutal.

Batting 2nd with Santo and Banks behind him, he scored over 80 runs only 3 times. Playing everyday. That is also brutal.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 10:09:57 AM »

Batting 2nd with Santo and Banks behind him, he scored over 80 runs only 3 times. Playing everyday. That is also brutal.
The stats I see is that he was well over the league average in batting, and at the average for OPS

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beckegl01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/bat.shtml

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 04:37:56 PM »
Not even a Top 100 all-time - while names like Jim Gantner, Tim Teufel, Mike Gallego, Craig Counsel, Freddy Sanchez, etc. rank at the bottom of the list.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 06:26:55 PM »
Not even a Top 100 all-time - while names like Jim Gantner, Tim Teufel, Mike Gallego, Craig Counsel, Freddy Sanchez, etc. rank at the bottom of the list.

That isn’t the same as really brutal.  Take the Cubs hatred elsewhere for a second.  RIP
— Plato

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 11:20:40 PM »

Billy Williams, too.

Glenn was a floor trader at the CBOT after baseball. Didn’t know him myself, but told he was a good guy.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 05:03:16 AM »

Wtf is wrong with you?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 07:38:39 AM »
No idea why Jockey decided to sh*t on a guy someone thought of fondly and was merely offering condolences for....but here we are.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 08:41:09 AM »
Wtf is wrong with you?

Some guys have their tight whites jammed up their crack...

Boxers or briefs, brother

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 08:46:15 AM »

Glenn was a floor trader at the CBOT after baseball. Didn’t know him myself, but told he was a good guy.

One of my very first Rawlings was a Glenn Beckert model. My dad took me over the BX in Japan where I chose that mitt and a couple cans of Neat's Foot Oil.

Do you know if Beckert wore tight whites over his cup? Just wonderin'

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 08:53:42 AM »
Dead at 79.  Very difficult to strike out.  Cubbie in the 60’s and early 70’s.  Gold glover, hit .340 one year and the best eye for pitches.

RIP

Jams

You probably road tripped down to Chicago from Marquette back in the '60's to take in a Doyers - Cubs tilt at the Friendly Confines.

Must have been thrilling watching Drysdale mow down Beckert, Banks, Williams, Santo, Kessinger, Hundley, et al.

Were the Vienna Red Hots better when Hizzoner Richard Daley was running The Machine?

Death on call

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 10:09:47 AM »
Billy Williams, too.

Open Outcry

He was wheat trader apparently.  For those interested, Matt Suhey was also a trader at CBOT
— Plato

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 11:15:04 AM »
No idea why Jockey decided to sh*t on a guy someone thought of fondly and was merely offering condolences for....but here we are.

Awww, I must have hurt Lil’ Fluff’s feelings somewhere. I’m his newest whipping boy.

In fact, Beckett and Kessinger were my two favorite players back then. Watched every game that was on WGN in the summer. But even then, I knew they were just regular guys. They just happened to be the regular guys that I liked.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 11:48:46 AM »
Awww, I must have hurt Lil’ Fluff’s feelings somewhere. I’m his newest whipping boy.

Didn't hurt my feelings.  I find you long on talking points and short on substance.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2020, 12:35:11 PM »
That isn’t the same as really brutal.  Take the Cubs hatred elsewhere for a second.  RIP

Incidentally, I hate the Cubs as much as anyone in this room. But I know a good ballplayer when I see one.

As a baseball fan, you have to applaud talent wherever you see it. Even in Chicago.

Fortunately, outside of 1969, 1984, 1998 and 2016, there generally hasn't been much talent in Cubland. We light novena lights in hopes that trend continues!

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2020, 02:54:38 PM »
Incidentally, I hate the Cubs as much as anyone in this room. But I know a good ballplayer when I see one.

As a baseball fan, you have to applaud talent wherever you see it. Even in Chicago.

Fortunately, outside of 1969, 1984, 1998 and 2016, there generally hasn't been much talent in Cubland. We light novena lights in hopes that trend continues!

I was a huge Cubs fan as a kid. Lived and died with the ‘69 Cubs as they choked. My most vivid memory of that season was Beckert letting an easy ground ball go between his legs to lose to a game in September.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 02:59:18 PM »

Didn't hurt my feelings.  I find you long on talking points and short on substance.

And I find you to be the second coming of chico.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 03:26:50 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:31:35 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 09:16:48 PM »

He was a good ball player.  This jockey member has a weird thing going for him and not sure what his problem is.
— Plato