collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Outdoor escapes?  (Read 4366 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Outdoor escapes?
« on: April 10, 2020, 10:19:08 AM »
So .. Most of Wisconsin's park system has been shut down.   They shut down 40 parks, pretty much where there's a lot of population. 

Last week, we tried to escape .. started at Grafton's Lion's Den Gorge but when we rolled up, it was jammed with cars everywhere, inventing parking places.  We could have parked, but decided it would have been a pain/impossible to keep away from people .. so we left (as should have most people.)

Tried the "Bluff" at Concordia .. closed.   Audubon in Bayside, closed.  We did find some small random Ouzakuee county park on the lake and walked around for a bit.

A couple weeks ago, we hit the Mequon Nature Preserve, which was OK.  I think it's still open.

We're thinking of driving to Port Washington and walking out on their pier this weekend.

What other outdoor escapes have you found?

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Outdoor escapes?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 10:38:40 AM »
So .. Most of Wisconsin's park system has been shut down.   They shut down 40 parks, pretty much where there's a lot of population. 

Last week, we tried to escape .. started at Grafton's Lion's Den Gorge but when we rolled up, it was jammed with cars everywhere, inventing parking places.  We could have parked, but decided it would have been a pain/impossible to keep away from people .. so we left (as should have most people.)

Tried the "Bluff" at Concordia .. closed.   Audubon in Bayside, closed.  We did find some small random Ouzakuee county park on the lake and walked around for a bit.

A couple weeks ago, we hit the Mequon Nature Preserve, which was OK.  I think it's still open.

We're thinking of driving to Port Washington and walking out on their pier this weekend.

As surprising as this may be to some people, Cleveland has a beautiful park system.  One of the locations is relatively near our home and that is where we goo all the time.  A couple weekends ago we tried our usual spot and couldn't find a parking spot.  Aside from that one day, we've been able to find a spot although it's been much more crowded than usual.  The closed some of the parking lots to reduce crowds and also some roads to increase allow more walkable area without getting too close.  I really hope that they don't close it down as we love to hike.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 11:27:09 AM »

Jockey's been making weekly trips to Mazomanie for the nude beach.

(I realize the nude beach is closed.)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 11:37:57 AM »

All the Kenosha County parks are open.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 11:55:44 AM »
Closing of state parks seems counter productive to me.

The less things that are open will make people gather in larger and larger groups.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 12:13:51 PM »
Getting my bike tuned up to start hitting the trails and roads.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 01:13:14 PM »

But then you have to unnatural carnal knowledgein' goto Kenosha.  No thanks

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 01:24:23 PM »
The reason was given as vandalism, trash accumulation and too many people.

County and city parks are still open.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 02:25:10 PM »
In our county (largest in NC), all park parking lots are closed. You can still use the trails, greenways, etc ... but you have to either walk to them or bike to them. It's one way to keep the crowds down, I guess.

NC's state restrictions keep ramping up, as the virus is nearing its peak here by forecasts, but one thing STILL open: golf courses.

I haven't played since a couple weeks ago but I do have a round booked for Tuesday. Not sure if I'll actually play or if I'll cancel.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 02:37:41 PM »

Petrifying springs a great place to hike/bike. Two mile loop for a walking trail and it is in the middle of bike route that runs from downtown Racine all the way to Chicago.

Got the bikes ready for my wife and I. Just need decent weather (I'm a big baby who expects it to be at least in the 60s before I ride).

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 04:21:08 PM »
Cemeteries.  Calvary cemetery, for example, is full of old Milwaukee history.  And one can always do a little window shopping, so to speak.
Ludum habemus.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 04:25:30 PM »
Cemeteries.  Calvary cemetery, for example, is full of old Milwaukee history.  And one can always do a little window shopping, so to speak.

Excellent idea. My wife is kind of a cemetery aficionado, so we have walked cemeteries all over the country.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 05:11:07 PM »

Bit on the nose isn't it.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2020, 05:19:04 PM »
I've been trying to put my 2020 Waukesha County Parks sticker to good use.  I've been to Minooka few times, Fox River County Park once and today went to Naga-Waukee park for the first time.  Today was nice as it wasn't real crowded so it was easy to keep our distance as we explored.  And we saw 4 deer running around a couple times.

I had been planning on doing a long run on the trails at Lapham Peak tomorrow but will be on the roads again as that's closed now of course.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2020, 05:19:24 PM »
People's Republic of the Upper West Side: i walk around the block and watch the ambulances go up and down West End Avenue. I wonder if its safe to go in Zabars. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2020, 05:39:21 PM »
Closing of state parks seems counter productive to me.

The less things that are open will make people gather in larger and larger groups.

Yeah .. I'm not a fan of closing anything outdoors, parks, beaches, tennis courts, nothing.

Until vaccinations in 12-18-24 months, this virus is going to be around and we're going to need to do some "risk measuring" .. indoors at a packed bar?  HIGH risk.  Nursing home?  High risk. 

Outdoors, 3-4-5 feet apart, walking?  Golfing, tennis?   Is it possible to get infected?  Yes, it's possible ..  but the reality is, it's super low risk.    (Because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and I know these things.)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2020, 05:43:43 PM »
As four outdoors escapes, May 1 iz write 'round da korner, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 07:40:16 PM »
Petrifying springs a great place to hike/bike. Two mile loop for a walking trail and it is in the middle of bike route that runs from downtown Racine all the way to Chicago.

Got the bikes ready for my wife and I. Just need decent weather (I'm a big baby who expects it to be at least in the 60s before I ride).

Pets has been busier than Wal-Mart lately, I’d stick to the KR trail and avoid the scene there.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2020, 08:06:23 PM »
Pets has been busier than Wal-Mart lately, I’d stick to the KR trail and avoid the scene there.

KR trail is our usual bike route. We go to Pets is for walking. And you are right. Once the temp gets over 50, it gets pretty crowded. Too bad the Beer Garden won't be opening any time soon.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2020, 04:05:27 AM »
As four outdoors escapes, May 1 iz write 'round da korner, aina?

My wife and I adjusted the date on our watches.  May 1st was several days ago.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2020, 06:54:26 AM »
We live just down the road from Horicon Marsh. Lots of great scenery and open spaces.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2020, 11:06:16 AM »
Super-interesting article about The Villages, and the only activity going on there being golf. I knew that place was huge, but didn't realize how huge!

https://www.morningread.com/news-opinion/feature/2020-04-07/at-the-villages-music-stops-but-not-the-golf?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Morning+Read+Weekend+04-11-2020

The Villages, with some 130,000 year-round residents, is renowned as an active-lifestyle community. It features 93 recreation centers plus dozens of swimming pools, softball diamonds, bowling centers, pickleball courts, tennis courts and other sites for ageless athletes. Three town squares in the development, which sprawls across more than 32 square miles in parts of three central Florida counties, offer nightly entertainment. Residents gather and literally dance in the streets.

But all of those recreational facilities are now closed. Because of the widening coronavirus pandemic, Gov. Ron DeSantis issued a “stay at home” order effective April 3. After the North Florida Section of the PGA of America sought a clarification of the order, golf was considered to be an “essential activity,” and courses were allowed to remain open, provided that federal social-distancing guidelines are followed.

Thus, this golf-obsessed community remains open for play, and that seems to be fine with just about everybody. The Villages features 12 championship courses, 41 nine-hole executive courses, an 18-hole walking-only pitch-and-putt course and an 18-hole walking-only grass putting course. All remain open for Villages residents, an estimated one-third of whom are regular golfers, even though many golf courses elsewhere in Florida and nationwide have closed because of local or state edicts or by self-regulation.

“We are still operating,” said Gordy Carlson, the head professional at Orange Blossom Hills Country Club, the oldest championship course in The Villages. “We have found things we needed to change to make playing golf safe for our residents, and right now we are doing what we can to allow people to play the game they love to play.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2020, 11:12:02 AM »
In our county (largest in NC), all park parking lots are closed. You can still use the trails, greenways, etc ... but you have to either walk to them or bike to them. It's one way to keep the crowds down, I guess.

NC's state restrictions keep ramping up, as the virus is nearing its peak here by forecasts, but one thing STILL open: golf courses.

I haven't played since a couple weeks ago but I do have a round booked for Tuesday. Not sure if I'll actually play or if I'll cancel.
Is there room in your group?  Driving 14 hours to golf seems almost rational at the moment.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2020, 11:26:02 AM »
We live just down the road from Horicon Marsh. Lots of great scenery and open space

Sounds purrfict and romantic two. Knot very populated now ether. Goe four it, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2020, 11:42:53 AM »
Is there room in your group?  Driving 14 hours to golf seems almost rational at the moment.

My tee time is full, but there are plenty of others available and I'd happy change mine to go with you.

Only 14 hours? Come on down!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2020, 02:20:13 PM »
We went to Port Washington today .. nice walk around upper Lake Park, around the marina, etc.    Very few people, good views.