collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:20:49 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Are your k-12 kids doing their studies at home?  (Read 3036 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Are your k-12 kids doing their studies at home?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 12:08:15 PM »
Yes.   My 7th grader's school was very aggressive on this.   They closed on March 12.   On March 13, they e-mailed all of the families and told them
 (A)   The were going to treat March 13, 16, 17 on snow days.
(B) To make an appointment to come get all of the students books on either March 16 or 17.   
(C)  Daily assignments would start on March 18.    This has been done via e-mail.
(D)  Twice weekly group Skype to check in with everyone and stay in touch and check progress.
(E)   Daily 'office hours' where students can set up one on one meetings if they have questions.   

Getting in front of it was huge and I have few complaints.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 12:12:41 PM »
Even if kids get little out of it, they’ll be fine.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

reinko

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 12:13:04 PM »
My five year old has 45 min zoom call with her teacher and classmates every day, and they do the normal kindergarten things...with very small daily assignments.  They have "enrichment" 2x a week too, one art class and one gym class.

Schools and teachers were dealt a crapty hand, but they are really trying hard, and commend them for it.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 12:28:31 PM »
We have 4 kids, a freshman in high school, a seventh grader, a fourth grader and a second grader.
The high schooler and 7th grader are really good at handling things on their own, communicating directly with their teachers and I feel like they're doing well with the home schooling. Our second grader is also doing well because his work is very basic and easy and he can get his daily assignments done within a couple of hours, of course he needs a little hand holding and prodding along the way as he doesn't focus and work independently. Our 4th grader seems to be having the hardest time adjusting to the home schooling. Lots of tears and drama with her. I'm glad I get to leave the house to go to work, as I am considered an essential business, my poor wife has to handle most of it.

They go to a Lutheran school, so we not only get the privilege of home schooling our kids but we also have to continue to pay the tuition as well. Oh well, we are blessed and are able to still support our church and school during this difficult time.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 12:34:08 PM »
My 9 year old grand daughter is doing her work.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/08/829618124/4-in-10-u-s-teens-say-they-havent-done-online-learning-since-schools-closed?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=nprblogscoronavirusliveupdates

It's funny, my wife and I were talking about this yesterday, how we know there are kids that are just not doing anything during this quarantine. I grew up in a pretty rough neighborhood and know that there was a total lack of parental involvement and a general sense of apathy when it came to school for a lot of my friends growing up. I'm sure not much has changed, it's a real shame and a sad situation.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 01:10:23 PM »
* My older daughter is doing online learning with Xavier U.
* My youngest daughter is doing online learning with her high school.
* My wife is doing online teaching for her high school.  160+ students  She is going crazy.  She's an art teacher so she's still not sure how this is going to work until June since there is art projects that physically need to be completed.  I think the students are sending her daily photos as well as Zoom conferences.  At least she is not teaching ceramics class anymore.
* And apparently the dog has been a complete nut since everyone is home.

* 1/2 the reason why I have been going into the office.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 01:16:29 PM »

* 1/2 the reason why I have been going into the office.
With my wife working from home and my 7th grader studying from home, being 'essential' and being gone for 24 hours at a time may be helping my health.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 01:56:59 PM »
we've been doing online school since the wednesday after the stay at home order.  Our school set up google classrooms for each class and the kids are "in school" from 8-around 1 pm every day.  Teachers are teaching, then giving the kids time to work on the assignment, ask questions, etc.  They are on a regular schedule.

PE, they have to report what their daily exercise or activity was.  It was tough at first with no sports, but they've been riding bikes like crazy (able to do that with their friends, keeping distance but still riding together.)  Computers is typing and basic coding.  Art, they have to do projects and then take pictures for the teacher.  Normal afterschool reading.

The 4K teacher is making videos of herself reading stories, instructing on math and writing and then emailing the parents the worksheets to print off for the kids to complete.

Catholic grade school and 4k at a daycare center.  Extremely impressed with both schools.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 03:44:09 PM »
Yep. My 13 year old son attends a Montessori school (Milwaukee Montessori School) and has been utilizing online learning since the fourth grade. His school has actually upped the workload as the Montessori philosophy is work very hard during the school day and enjoy being a kid at night. Some days he only has two official classes but a substantial amount of work.

My 16 year old (tomorrow actually) hasn’t missed a beat (Marquette HS). He has a full schedule (tests, papers, discussions) just slightly shortened classes. He is struggling with the isolated learning even with all the digital socialization. And, he’s a really smart kid that is schedule to take two AP tests in May. That process is changed dramatically. So far, his grades have remained high. In an email from his HS, it was written that if the students continue to put forth effort and keep their grades steady, they will likely retain their Q3 grade for Q4. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 03:46:31 PM by 21Jumpstreet »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 05:53:57 PM »
Yes my 7th grader and 2nd grader have been doing virtual learning since March 18th.  March 16th was the first day our District was closed and they used two days to help the teachers get setup for the virtual learning.  They both have iPads through school they are using.  The 2nd grader has a daily call with her whole class via the Teams app and a small group call also.  My husband and I are both working from home also and it's been a challenge to keep on top of things.  Both kids have been doing their work and my 7th grader is enjoying the opportunity to boss around her little sister when it comes to the virtual learning :).  They still have Friday and Monday off for Easter - wish the weather was going to be a bit better for that.

I'm grateful I can work from home and keep my job but I miss going into the office and seeing co-workers and I find myself actually kind of missing things like the carpool line at school too  :D.

I expect the schools to remain closed through the end of the 19-20 school year.  I think my kids will be fine for this school year but do worry if they can't go back to school still come September.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 06:54:45 PM »
My wife has heard of issues also.  Older kids verbally abusing younger kids.  Police calls, etc.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 07:31:13 PM »
Bullies having to resort to “virtual swirlies” eyn’a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 07:41:43 PM »
Even if kids get little out of it, they’ll be fine.

I got very little out of K-12...whether I’m fine or not is a matter of opinion.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 08:13:58 AM »
Both my 5th and 7th graders have ramped up virtual learning this week.

7th grade stuff is relatively legit, and is taking hours to cut through.

5th grade stuff is very fluffy .. but that was true in-person, too, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 09:20:43 AM »
The virus has hit New Jersey really hard. Despite that, yesterday was quite a nice day reaching into the 70s. All the teachers from my grand daughter's elementary school scheduled a teachers parade driving through all the housing developments and apartment complexes honking their horns throughout our small town. Some of the cars were decorated with balloons and bunting. The kids were really happy to see their teacher drive by and the teachers were happy to see all the kids lined up to wave. What a great way to break the cabin fever we're all feeling.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 01:04:00 PM »
Our kids (6th, 3rd & 1st) are at the local Catholic School and we were up and running almost immediately.  The first week (3/16) was more here do these worksheets, read this, etc.  The following week (3/23) was "spring break" and then when we came back (3/30) they went into overdrive.  Essentially teaching via Zoom, pre-taped YouTube videos, one on one FaceTime, etc.  I have been very impressed with how quickly they adapted and how thorough the curriculum is now.  That first week looking back was just busy work, but for the past 3 weeks they have actually been learning.  My wife and I both WFH now so we each take one of the younger ones, while the 6th grader is pretty independent.  We call all keep it together until lunch, after that it gets trickier.

In general though we're in a great spot.  5 separate work spaces, good WiFi and CPUs for all.  I know that's not the case everywhere and it's really concerning. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:10:23 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2020, 01:06:43 PM »
I am very involved with a Catholic HS in an impoverished neighborhood and had a call with the school pres yesterday.  Many have difficult family situations. 

My wife is very involved with NFP that mentors/tutors/provides scholarships to 2nd through HS kids in the same neighborhood.  Some have difficult family situations.

The first week online went fairly well for almost all of the kids.  After that, the kids who excel in school in general continue to get the work done and excel.  The kids from more difficult situations have no chance with online learning.  Slow wifi, inconsistent hardware, and/or lack of support at home etc. 

It will be a lost 3 months for many.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2020, 01:17:09 PM »
In general though we're in a great spot.  5 separate work spaces, good WiFi and CPUs for all.  I know that's not the case everywhere and it's really concerning.

Honestly, that is one of the reasons I'm still going to work.  We really don't have the work spaces or the WiFi to support all of us. My son (who returned home from SLC) is using my usual home office. I also have two college students and a HS student working at home.  I've been coming to the office where it is awfully quiet and peaceful and the WiFi is good.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2020, 02:34:41 PM »
Read where LA unified has somewhere around 15,000 students who are truant. What a tragedy.

FYI  I saw a mother in the neighborhood tearing the "My Kid is a Superstar Student" sticker off the Minivan the other day

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2020, 03:03:46 PM »
Michigam completely shut all of their schools down for the remainder of the year.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2020, 03:20:28 PM »
Michigam completely shut all of their schools down for the remainder of the year.

Not 60 seconds ago I got a text from my brother saying his son is officially done with his senior year, so I wonder if Arizona did the same.

Edited:  As it turns out he was told that if he's happy with his 3Q grades, he can accept them and be finished.  I'm told it didn't take him long to decide to accept that deal.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 04:54:03 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 04:03:47 PM »
Pretty sure Pennsylvania did, too. Have some friends in Villanova.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 06:28:09 PM »

I heard Pennsylvania and Oregon have done so also.  A friend in St. Louis posted on Facebook her kids were done for the year also.  Nothing official in Wisconsin beyond the closure until April 24th for now of course but I don't expect my kids to return to school at all during the 19-20 school year - just waiting until that becomes official.  Also starting to wonder when I might end up going back in the office but working at home is going fine so far other than missing interaction with people.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 08:06:08 PM »
I heard Pennsylvania and Oregon have done so also.  A friend in St. Louis posted on Facebook her kids were done for the year also.  Nothing official in Wisconsin beyond the closure until April 24th for now of course but I don't expect my kids to return to school at all during the 19-20 school year - just waiting until that becomes official.  Also starting to wonder when I might end up going back in the office but working at home is going fine so far other than missing interaction with people.

Missouri closed starting Tuesday,  i think.

feedback