[Today at 06:05:33 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Anniversary of Marquette's Natty  (Read 4418 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Anniversary of Marquette's Natty
« on: March 28, 2020, 04:10:48 PM »
43 years ago yet to those of us who saw the game, whether in Atlanta or on TV, it still feels great reliving it. Dodd's site has the video.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Anniversary of Marquette's Natty
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 04:43:20 PM »
43 years ago yet to those of us who saw the game, whether in Atlanta or on TV, it still feels great reliving it. Dodd's site has the video.

So does YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdYt6RDXyB4&fbclid=IwAR21nQpH9a4KAVWpFfPwkwA6_5LzQmkFR0y_8Xzjc-_xTj_dWcKw8GDHrKA
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 05:53:49 PM »
Eye 'member it taday like it wuz yesterday, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 09:44:57 PM »
Was in the old Union that night with a couple thousand of my new best friends.

Living proof dreams do come true. We had been so close for so long and then.... Nirvana.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 09:57:38 PM »
Today is also the 7 year anniversary of our last tournament win. Getting to be kind of a long time.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 10:05:36 PM »
And it happened on rainy night in Georgia...

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 01:10:52 PM »
In my mid 20's when we won the championship and living in the Mid Atlantic area at the time.  For those on campus or at the game, the end of the first half and the start of the second had to be a roller coaster.  The team played extremely well in the first despite Bo picking up two fouls in the first few minutes.  The Warriors were up 12 at the break and then it all came crashing to earth in a matter of six or seven minutes in the second. I think we scored maybe two or three points in that time period. For reasons only known to him, Dean Smith went into a stall with the game tied and took the momentum away from his own team and allowed us to settle down.  Al and the team were ready for the four corners.  Coach Al refused to pull out of the zone and we grabbed the momentum back.  Our free-throw shooting was near perfection in the second half.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 02:00:22 PM »
In my mid 20's when we won the championship and living in the Mid Atlantic area at the time.  For those on campus or at the game, the end of the first half and the start of the second had to be a roller coaster.  The team played extremely well in the first despite Bo picking up two fouls in the first few minutes.  The Warriors were up 12 at the break and then it all came crashing to earth in a matter of six or seven minutes in the second. I think we scored maybe two or three points in that time period. For reasons only known to him, Dean Smith went into a stall with the game tied and took the momentum away from his own team and allowed us to settle down.  Al and the team were ready for the four corners.  Coach Al refused to pull out of the zone and we grabbed the momentum back.  Our free-throw shooting was near perfection in the second half.

I remember being absolutely shocked at Dean Smith's decision and only then sensed that we were in the driver's seat. Yeah, I know...living on memories but I make no apologies for doing that.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 02:46:40 PM »
Hank Raymonds told me that "for once, Smith went into the Four Corners at the wrong time."
Dean Smith told me that they always went into the Four Corners when North Carolina was ahead.

Team manager Greg Stack told me that Al and Hank spent a lot of time with the players preparing for the Four Corners. During the Sunday preparations, they put in their own delay game. When the players quickly picked up on it, Al and Hank said of Smith's Four Corners: "Bring it on!"

Dean noted that he hoped to get one basket out of his Four Corners delay, but Al said that he "mickey-moused" the delay by not coming out to defend until the five count. Al kept asking referee Paul Galvan how long he could stay back in his one-man zone, which kept Jerome Whitehead underneath the basket to cut off any Carolina backdoor plays.

When Carolna's Bruce Buckley attempted a shot during the delay, MU blocked it and took back the momentum.

As Al said after the game, "It [Four Corners] dried their sweat and they lost all their momentum."

Dean Smith told me later when I was writing my book "You Can Call Me Al," that "Al was smart to keep his players back. We thought we would get one basket."

That was all she wrote.

Go Warriors!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 10:18:09 AM »
God, the game has changed so much. No shot clock. No three point line. Actual jump balls.

Fun to watch, but this feels like ancient history  :'(

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 10:00:25 AM »
In my mid 20's when we won the championship and living in the Mid Atlantic area at the time.

I was 28 when we won the championship - so maybe 3 years older than you. One of my 4 kids went to MU - graduated 20 years ago this May. You’re almost 70 and still have one in school?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 08:17:15 PM »
I was 28 when we won the championship - so maybe 3 years older than you. One of my 4 kids went to MU - graduated 20 years ago this May. You’re almost 70 and still have one in school?

Crash is warrior dad?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 10:33:18 PM »

Well, one that he knows of🤫
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 10:34:10 PM »
Hank Raymonds told me that "for once, Smith went into the Four Corners at the wrong time."
Dean Smith told me that they always went into the Four Corners when North Carolina was ahead.

Team manager Greg Stack told me that Al and Hank spent a lot of time with the players preparing for the Four Corners. During the Sunday preparations, they put in their own delay game. When the players quickly picked up on it, Al and Hank said of Smith's Four Corners: "Bring it on!"

Dean noted that he hoped to get one basket out of his Four Corners delay, but Al said that he "mickey-moused" the delay by not coming out to defend until the five count. Al kept asking referee Paul Galvan how long he could stay back in his one-man zone, which kept Jerome Whitehead underneath the basket to cut off any Carolina backdoor plays.

When Carolna's Bruce Buckley attempted a shot during the delay, MU blocked it and took back the momentum.

As Al said after the game, "It [Four Corners] dried their sweat and they lost all their momentum."

Dean Smith told me later when I was writing my book "You Can Call Me Al," that "Al was smart to keep his players back. We thought we would get one basket."

That was all she wrote.

Go Warriors!

Bumps to this one joe..that’s some good behind the scene stuff

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 10:56:03 PM »
Pooohsays canceled this year's tourney cause we were going to win
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 12:58:26 AM »
Crash is warrior dad?

theBabyDavid hasn't reached three years old!

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2020, 12:59:35 AM »
In my mid 20's when we won the championship and living in the Mid Atlantic area at the time. 

Cheeks...please, we're not idiots...

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2020, 01:00:36 AM »

Slam dunk by Bernstein!

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 04:28:22 AM »

That one’s gonna leave a mark.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 08:47:59 AM »
Bumps to this one joe..that’s some good behind the scene stuff

Wasn’t that inside baseball stuff in the book you bought from him?

Death on call

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 10:17:44 AM »
Rocket:

You are welcome. I feel fortunate to have been able to interview Al, Rick, Hank, John Wooden, Dean Smith, Bob Cousy, Ray Meyer,  Red Auerbach, George Mikan, John Kundla, Dave Gavitt, Louie Carnesecca, Bobby Knight and Coach K for my book. All provided interesting insights into Al and his coaching style and persona.

Go Warriors!

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 03:29:02 PM »

That is correct.  Not planned and a difficult pregnancy.  My wife’s sister was pregnant at age 48.  Their mom had her last child at 46.  Runs in the family.

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2020, 04:14:24 PM »
Let the juices flow, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2020, 06:13:43 PM »
That makes that veee ay. gray stuff even more expensive der anyn’er?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2020, 10:25:13 PM »
That is correct.  Not planned and a difficult pregnancy.  My wife’s sister was pregnant at age 48.  Their mom had her last child at 46.  Runs in the family.

Jams, you need to change the cadence of your writing style. Pure Bail Bondsman. Like ee cummings you are instantly recognizable.

Death on call