[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Senate and WH Agree on Terms of Stimulus Package  (Read 59247 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Senate and WH Agree on Terms of Stimulus Package
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 01:21:34 PM »
Some concern in the house that the UI benefits are too much money. Might encourage some workers to stay on unemployment rather than seeking a new job when economy comes back.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2020, 02:23:02 PM »
Some concern in the house that the UI benefits are too much money. Might encourage some workers to stay on unemployment rather than seeking a new job when economy comes back.

I believe the enhanced unemployment benefits are only extended four months, not indefinitely. If so, their concerns are meaningless.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2020, 02:46:52 PM »
Ah yes.

Let's get hung up on the moral hazard of the working poor getting enhanced unemployment for four months, but bail out the same airline industry that was bailed out just over a decade ago with barely any strings attached.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2020, 02:52:55 PM »
Ah yes.

Let's get hung up on the moral hazard of the working poor getting enhanced unemployment for four months, but bail out the same airline industry that was bailed out just over a decade ago with barely any strings attached.

Per language in the proposed bill, airlines and associated companies are to have money transferred within 10 days of passage. Nuts.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2020, 03:40:20 PM »

Sasse, Scott, and Graham were some of the ones listed. They even used home health workers as an example. They don’t want these people to get an extra few hundred bucks. It is evil hypocritical crazy town. 

Anyone ever spend time with home health workers? (Raises hand) These people are often making less than $10 an hour, zero gas mileage, live far from work, and have challenging, physically, mentally, and emotionally draining positions. They have to pay for their own certifications etc...and often receive little to no other benefits, insurance etc...

The bill is terrible as are some of these people, some for their hypocritical discrimination and others for their unwillingness to take a stand for something worth fighting for.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:44:00 PM by shoothoops »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2020, 03:48:40 PM »
With regards to money...

The @nytimes reports that Americans who are eligible for the coronavirus relief cash payments but who *don't already have direct-deposit bank info on file with the IRS "will need to wait up to four months" to get a check, per Democratic aides. https://t.co/LOomu3GTiS

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2020, 03:49:43 PM »

Sasse, Scott, and Graham were some of the ones listed. They even used home health workers as an example. They don’t want these people to get an extra few hundred bucks. It is evil hypocritical crazy town. 

Anyone ever spend time with home health workers? (Raises hand) These people are often making less than $10 an hour, zero gas mileage, live far from work, and have challenging, physically, mentally, and emotionally draining positions. 

The bill is terrible as are some of these people, some for their hypocritical discrimination and others for their unwillingness to take a stand for something worth fighting for.
  From the article I read, Sasse, Scott and Graham are merely trying to limit the benefits to 100% of what the employees would otherwise make and that what they are doing is clearing up a drafting error.  Just to clarify, are you saying that the workers referred to should make out better from the stimulus package than they would have if the world was normal and they continued working as usual?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2020, 03:51:08 PM »
  From the article I read, Sasse, Scott and Graham are merely trying to limit the benefits to 100% of what the employees would otherwise make and that what they are doing is clearing up a drafting error.  Just to clarify, are you saying that the workers referred to should make out better from the stimulus package than they would have if the world was normal and they continued working as usual?

I’m saying this is trash.

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1242894044184883201

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2020, 03:56:43 PM »

I'm not suggesting that nurses, and some other professions, aren't underpaid.  I'm just asking if you're saying that the stimulus package should have them coming out ahead of where they'd otherwise be if there had been no disruption in the workforce because of the current situation.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2020, 04:06:52 PM »
I'm not suggesting that nurses, and some other professions, aren't underpaid.  I'm just asking if you're saying that the stimulus package should have them coming out ahead of where they'd otherwise be if there had been no disruption in the workforce because of the current situation.

Coming out ahead? Wow. .....I’m saying grandstanding to a base (sad that he has a base and this is what his base wants) with pretend threats to uphold a bill to help Americans during the time of a public health crisis, is trash. (spoiler alert he isn’t) I’m saying using nurses, assistants, home health workers as your example is trash. Over a few hundred bucks? Really? Really? Going after nurses and the like is trash. People are aren’t choosing to be in this situation. People aren’t saying well, I don’t really want to work, I’ll just stay home.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2020, 04:27:55 PM »

Utter ignorance, but consider the source (Graham).

1. I don't think any nurses are getting laid off.

2. My wife made over $40.00 an hour as a nurse before she retired early.  The windfall he describes would have been about a 45% pay CUT.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2020, 04:30:15 PM »

In the current environment, where nurses are risking their lives to save ours, this is an incredibly bizarre hill to die on.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2020, 05:01:50 PM »

This...anyone who would think it would be okay for people to make more on unemployment than at their actual job says a lot about them actually. Now, redrafting it(which they are said to be doing), so that anyone on unemployment makes their actual salary?? That's acceptable to me, but more?? Unjustifiable.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2020, 05:09:10 PM »
This...anyone who would think it would be okay for people to make more on unemployment than at their actual job says a lot about them actually. Now, redrafting it(which they are said to be doing), so that anyone on unemployment makes their actual salary?? That's acceptable to me, but more?? Unjustifiable.

Do you know ANY nurse who makes less than $24/hour?

FWIW, here is a list of average hourly pay for nurses...which shows hourly pay ranging from a high of $49.37 in California to a low of $27.41/hr in South Dakota. Forty out of the fifty states average over $30/hr.

https://nurse.org/articles/highest-paying-states-for-registered-nurses/ (Note that these are 2018 numbers, so the current numbers are likely a bit higher.)

So again, do you know ANY nurse who makes less than $24/hour? Given the numbers above, do you REALLY believe the number (if any) is large enough to justify delaying the entire stimulus package?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 05:11:28 PM »

That’s unjustifiable but bailing out airlines again is apparently a-ok with you.

Btw, I am ok with this getting fixed as long as it can be done so quickly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 05:17:21 PM »
Did I just hear Mnunchin say that SBA loans would cover 50% of payroll?  Thats definitely far less than they were making it seem.  Not exactly going to keep workers comfortably afloat and patiently riding this out.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2020, 05:48:30 PM »
For example:

What about poor people that did not file 2018/2019 taxes?

If it is tied to tax retruns, and the above do not get it, the deal is unacceptable trash in my opinion.

If they got a W-2 and had taxes taken out, they should have filed to get it refunded and/or to collect EIC. 

It may not be too late to do it now. Go to a VITA tax preparer.  They will do it for free.

How many poor people got absolutely no income of any kind last year?  And if all of their income was from non-taxable government entititlements, then are they really being affected income-wise by the coronavirus?  I am not trying to be smartass here, I am asking the question.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2020, 06:07:04 PM »
If anyone who hasn’t filed taxes and speaks up in an effort to get $ now, they should be arrested on the spot.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2020, 06:12:06 PM »
If they got a W-2 and had taxes taken out, they should have filed to get it refunded and/or to collect EIC. 

It may not be too late to do it now. Go to a VITA tax preparer.  They will do it for free.

How many poor people got absolutely no income of any kind last year?  And if all of their income was from non-taxable government entititlements, then are they really being affected income-wise by the coronavirus?  I am not trying to be smartass here, I am asking the question.

Top of head example:

Disabled person, lives alone, has mortgage or rent, utilities, doesn’t  pay taxes, no W2, has bills 3 times more than their monthly income to get by. They eat, wear clothes etc need transportation costs basic needs expenses. What about them? Their lives are being greatly disrupted by the virus. I am not being a smart ass but do you spend much time around poor people or disabled people?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:43:54 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2020, 06:46:21 PM »

Do you know ANY nurse who makes less than $24/hour?

FWIW, here is a list of average hourly pay for nurses...which shows hourly pay ranging from a high of $49.37 in California to a low of $27.41/hr in South Dakota. Forty out of the fifty states average over $30/hr.

https://nurse.org/articles/highest-paying-states-for-registered-nurses/ (Note that these are 2018 numbers, so the current numbers are likely a bit higher.)

So again, do you know ANY nurse who makes less than $24/hour? Given the numbers above, do you REALLY believe the number (if any) is large enough to justify delaying the entire stimulus package?

Those always scamming and scheming fat cat nurses would have gotten away with it too if it weren’t for those meddling Senators.

TTTTTTTTT-EEEEEE-AAAAAA-LLLLL
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:01:48 PM by shoothoops »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2020, 07:16:36 PM »
Top of head example:

Disabled person, lives alone, has mortgage or rent, utilities, doesn’t  pay taxes, no W2, has bills 3 times more than their monthly income to get by. They eat, wear clothes etc need transportation costs basic needs expenses. What about them? Their lives are being greatly disrupted by the virus. I am not being a smart ass but do you spend much time around poor people or disabled people?

But is their income impacted?  Are their expenses impacted?  My point is that the stimulus is for people being economically affected as a direct result of the virus. Yes, your disabled person example is poor and their life sucks, but that is a separate issue from what the problem they are trying to solve with the stimulus package.

If you try to solve everyone's problems with this bill, it would never come to vote.

Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2020, 07:19:38 PM »
But is their income impacted?  Are their expenses impacted?  My point is that the stimulus is for people being economically affected as a direct result of the virus. Yes, they are poor and their life sucks, but that is a separate issue from what the problem they are trying to solve with the stimulus package.

If you try to solve everyone's problems with this bill, it would never come to vote.

I totally agree with you technically.  But IMO the margin of error on this one is a lot less than the checks that end with a M and B getting written everywhere else.  Besides, if they give someone down and out an extra couple hundred bucks, it’s going to get spent.  Which is kind of the point of this right?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:21:39 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2020, 07:21:50 PM »
But is their income impacted?  Are their expenses impacted?  My point is that the stimulus is for people being economically affected as a direct result of the virus. Yes, your disabled person example is poor and their life sucks, but that is a separate issue from what the problem they are trying to solve with the stimulus package.

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1242881655712473097?s=19

Their lives are greatly impacted economically.

How? Home health workers can't show up to work and help them. That is out of pocket cost. Transportation shuts down or gets reduced. This is financial impact. Their programs get canceled, others cost $$$. This doesn'r evwn take into account other costs of having to stay home. Surely you are not this obtuse?

Saying oh well their lives suck let me get back to my portfolio isn't good enough.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2020, 07:25:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1242881655712473097?s=19

Their lives are greatly impacted economically.

How? Home health workers can't show up to work and help them. That is out of pocket cost. Transportation shuts down or gets reduced. This is financial impact. Their programs get canceled, others cost $$$. This doesn'r evwn take into account other costs of having to stay home. Surely you are not this obtuse?

Saying oh well their lives suck let me get back to my portfolio isn't good enough.

So pass a separate bill for those people. Just because a program doesn't benefit every single person who needs help, doesn't mean it's a horrible bill.
Have some patience, FFS.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2020, 07:32:59 PM »
So pass a separate bill for those people. Just because a program doesn't benefit every single person who needs help, doesn't mean it's a horrible bill.

I haven't seen a separate bill. Have you seen a separate bill? Will you post a link to that bill? Thanks. I believe, some, many would say some of these people are more deserving than some others will be benefit from this bill. Let's just give entitlements to corporations, especially the ones that love buy backs and preying upon consumers. Got it.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:42:40 PM by shoothoops »

feedback