[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: "Mild" cases  (Read 2986 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
"Mild" cases
« on: March 20, 2020, 10:51:20 AM »
The phrase "many people will have mild cases" is getting thrown around a lot.  I'd like to point at that in terms of the medical community, "mild" only means anything less than needing to be put on oxygen.  You can have pneumonia and still be considered "mild".

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/health/coronavirus-china-aylward.html

What were mild, severe and critical? We think of “mild” as like a minor cold.

No. “Mild” was a positive test, fever, cough — maybe even pneumonia, but not needing oxygen. “Severe” was breathing rate up and oxygen saturation down, so needing oxygen or a ventilator. “Critical” was respiratory failure or multi-organ failure.

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: "Mild" cases
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 10:57:55 AM »
The phrase "many people will have mild cases" is getting thrown around a lot.  I'd like to point at that in terms of the medical community, "mild" only means anything less than needing to be put on oxygen.  You can have pneumonia and still be considered "mild".

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/health/coronavirus-china-aylward.html

What were mild, severe and critical? We think of “mild” as like a minor cold.

No. “Mild” was a positive test, fever, cough — maybe even pneumonia, but not needing oxygen. “Severe” was breathing rate up and oxygen saturation down, so needing oxygen or a ventilator. “Critical” was respiratory failure or multi-organ failure.
It would be nice if the CDC would revise their criteria and have percentages for "Mild", "Moderate", "Severe" and "Critical".

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 11:03:11 AM »
I am curious if anyone is working on a test that proves you have had the virus.  Wont this become important about a month from now when so few people have been tested?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 11:09:06 AM »
I am curious if anyone is working on a test that proves you have had the virus.  Wont this become important about a month from now when so few people have been tested?

Don't know - but seems like it would be prudent to know if you've got some antibodies in your system.  Basically a "you're safe to resume normal activity" card. 

Someone in the big thread mentioned this should be a simple test to put together.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 11:11:41 AM »

I'm pretty sure a test like this can and will be developed. Just need to check for the right antibodies. It would also give us a much clearer picture on the numbers of asymptomatic/mild cases.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 11:18:32 AM »
Interesting.  Based on our (in)ability just to screen at this point, I wont hold my breath that this is happening anytime soon.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 12:23:09 PM »
Interesting.  Based on our (in)ability just to screen at this point, I wont hold my breath that this is happening anytime soon.

Mayo Clinic is currently working on a test, and is "two to three weeks" away from taking it live.

https://www.postbulletin.com/life/health/mayo-clinic-working-on-antibody-test/article_31df2fb8-68ad-11ea-b5cd-e305c4d9bd7e.html

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 12:42:48 PM »

Mayo Clinic is currently working on a test, and is "two to three weeks" away from taking it live.

https://www.postbulletin.com/life/health/mayo-clinic-working-on-antibody-test/article_31df2fb8-68ad-11ea-b5cd-e305c4d9bd7e.html

"They added that the antibody test can serve as a supplemental diagnostic method to use alongside PCR. They also hope that by identifying immune individuals who could then donate plasma with coronavirus antibodies for persons at risk, the test could hold the promise of providing quick-acting so-called "passive immunity" to ill patients and potentially to at-risk healthcare workers."

Big if scalable

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 01:28:28 PM »
In late February, I returned from a conference where there were people from all over the world, including Italy and China.
A week later, had a fever of 101 and a cough. Fever went away in a few days. Cough still persists.

No possible way to get tested or know if I had it.  Would be nice to know eventually.

I realize that it is far more important that people with current symptoms get tested and we do not have enough test kits.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 01:39:29 PM »
In late February, I returned from a conference where there were people from all over the world, including Italy and China.
A week later, had a fever of 101 and a cough. Fever went away in a few days. Cough still persists.

No possible way to get tested or know if I had it.  Would be nice to know eventually.

I realize that it is far more important that people with current symptoms get tested and we do not have enough test kits.

Check with local doctors to see if you should be tested.  You fit most criteria, and its info they could use.  Even if you seem fine now.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 02:41:16 PM »
Check with local doctors to see if you should be tested.  You fit most criteria, and its info they could use.  Even if you seem fine now.

When I checked last week, was told no, if no fever. Basically, there is no one being tested, at least in Palm Beach county, without a 100+ degree fever.

feedback