[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Resources to Keep Busy While Sheltering in Place  (Read 15438 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Resources to Keep Busy While Sheltering in Place
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2020, 03:52:18 PM »
Anyone else taken this opportunity to cook meals that would generally be wayyy too much work to do?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2020, 05:05:16 PM »
E-reader recommendations?

I have generally stuck with "real" books and frequently borrow from the library, but given that our library is closed for possibly weeks or even months, I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting an e-reader. I know I could read on my iPad, but want one of the "ink" e-readers that are better on the eyes.

Thoughts on the best "midrange" readers? I'm not looking for top of the line $250-300 reader, but would be happy to spend up to maybe $150-ish. From a bit of research, my general impression is that the Kindle Paperwhite and Kobo Clara seem to be the best in the up to $150 bracket.

Thoughts appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 05:06:58 PM by GooooMarquette »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2020, 05:08:00 PM »
E-reader recommendations?

I have generally stuck with "real" books and frequently borrow from the library, but given that our library is closed for possibly weeks or even months, I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting an e-reader. I know I could read on my iPad, but want one of the "ink" e-readers that are better on the eyes.

Thoughts on the best "midrange" readers? I'm not looking for top of the line $250-300 reader, but would be happy to spend up to maybe $150-ish. From a bit of research, my general impression is that the Kindle Paperwhite and Kobo Clara seem to be the best in the up to $150 bracket.

Thoughts appreciated.

Paperwhite. No question (assuming you're in the Amazon atmosphere already)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2020, 05:10:43 PM »
My wife bought a Paperwhite had to be 10 years ago and the thing still works perfectly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2020, 05:22:32 PM »
Thanks for the Paperwhite recommendations.

Two specific questions:

1. I read this morning that Kindles have ads, and you have to pay extra for the ad-free version. How frequent and disruptive are the ads?

2. Do you have experience borrowing library books? I have read that an advantage of the Kobo is that it automatically supports the most common formatting styles of libraries, while Kindles may not (or may be more cumbersome to "translate"). Is this true, and if so, is the "translation" process cumbersome?

(FWIW - I do buy stuff from Amazon, but honestly, I borrow more books from libraries than I buy.)

reinko

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2020, 05:54:28 PM »
Thanks for the Paperwhite recommendations.

Two specific questions:

1. I read this morning that Kindles have ads, and you have to pay extra for the ad-free version. How frequent and disruptive are the ads?

2. Do you have experience borrowing library books? I have read that an advantage of the Kobo is that it automatically supports the most common formatting styles of libraries, while Kindles may not (or may be more cumbersome to "translate"). Is this true, and if so, is the "translation" process cumbersome?

(FWIW - I do buy stuff from Amazon, but honestly, I borrow more books from libraries than I buy.)

Unsure about the library stuff, but the ads are mainly on the lock screen when you are not using it, maybe the occasional one on the main menu page, but never when actually reading a book.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2020, 06:00:03 PM »
Unsure about the library stuff, but the ads are mainly on the lock screen when you are not using it, maybe the occasional one on the main menu page, but never when actually reading a book.

Yup. Lock screen and home screen. Never during "use"

Library conversions aren't difficult. I'd say 90+% of libraries, in my experience, have Kindle versions available

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2020, 06:44:22 PM »
Great - thanks again for the feedback!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2020, 08:06:16 PM »
Great - thanks again for the feedback!

Contact your local library, they probably have a contact us form and ask their recommendation. There’s lots of different services and some are wonky. Most should support a Kindle like a dream.

Mrs. PTM is the digital content librarian at one of the massive Chicagoland libraries. She’s been close to 24/7 since they closed on Friday, everyone wants that free content now despite their cards expired for years.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2020, 08:09:00 AM »
I just use the Kindle app on my Note 9

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2020, 10:53:48 AM »
I use kindle app on my ipad. I keep it on "night mode" (dark screen, white letters). Works great .

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2020, 02:57:47 PM »
Consulting with my infosec peeps if I can install OOTP on my work laptop. Not sure if I'm kidding yet.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2020, 06:23:25 PM »
All my friends have Kindles, but my wife and I still prefer books. I just like the feel of a book in my hands. I also like the look of having shelves full of books in the living room and my home office (where I keep all sports books).

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2020, 08:20:52 PM »
Anyone else taken this opportunity to cook meals that would generally be wayyy too much work to do?
I haven't yet. Been way too busy.
Serious eats is a great source.

Get a pork shoulder. Cut in half, if smaller family. Freeze half. Salt. Pepper. Oven at 250 for 6-8 hours. Put a fork in and twist. If it gives easily, it's done.

Optional after first cook. Let it rest a bit. Crank oven to 500. Put back in until fat/skin gets crispy. 

Great tacos, toss with some good bbq sauce, make other weird sauces. Versatile.  And great to do while working from home.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2020, 08:25:48 PM »
I haven't yet. Been way too busy.
Serious eats is a great source.

Get a pork shoulder. Cut in half, if smaller family. Freeze half. Salt. Pepper. Oven at 250 for 6-8 hours. Put a fork in and twist. If it gives easily, it's done.

Optional after first cook. Let it rest a bit. Crank oven to 500. Put back in until fat/skin gets crispy. 

Great tacos, toss with some good bbq sauce, make other weird sauces. Versatile.  And great to do while working from home.

Did pork shoulder twice so far, brined a pork shoulder for st Patrick's day since it's authentic not that corned beef. Then took the remaining 5lbs on Saturday did 10hr slow cooker and it was great, refried it with onions jalapeños cheese and eggs for breakfast today. It was great.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2020, 09:58:50 PM »
All my friends have Kindles, but my wife and I still prefer books. I just like the feel of a book in my hands. I also like the look of having shelves full of books in the living room and my home office (where I keep all sports books).

+100

Anyone else in this boat?

I'm not really that old, but when I say things like this it makes me feel like I am.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2020, 07:30:38 AM »
+100

Anyone else in this boat?

I'm not really that old, but when I say things like this it makes me feel like I am.

Me.  I have a Kindle that I hardly ever use.  It's too hard to flip back to look at something you have already read. 
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2020, 07:31:40 AM »
Anyone but me actually busier because they are working from home?  I have all the same deadlines, but fewer resources.

SMH at the people who are looking for ways to fill their time.
Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2020, 07:36:43 AM »
Anyone but me actually busier because they are working from home?  I have all the same deadlines, but fewer resources.

I am busier but mostly because the nature of the job.  I worked from home in my past and found you have to set barriers since the physical barrier is somewhat gone.  My wife is less busy because of the nature of her job. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2020, 07:43:07 AM »

I am totally with you there, but I have so many real books at home that I'm being buried alive in them. I still buy real books if they're from my favorite authors (like Bill Bryson), or if it's something I have reason to believe I may read again.

My main reasons, aside from being homebound by the virus, are to cut down on wasted space and paper, and to borrow library books without going down to the library.

But in general, yeah - real books are awesome.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2020, 07:44:47 AM »

Is the virus threatening to alter your retirement date...or is it just preventing you from gently sliding into retirement?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2020, 09:13:49 AM »

Is the virus threatening to alter your retirement date...or is it just preventing you from gently sliding into retirement?

You mean financially?  No.  Of course, our retirement portfolio doesn't look like it did a few weeks ago, but I am confident it will rebound before we need the money. 
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2020, 09:30:13 AM »

Busiest week and a half in a long time :/
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2020, 10:55:20 AM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2020, 11:13:04 AM »

I am totally with you there, but I have so many real books at home that I'm being buried alive in them. I still buy real books if they're from my favorite authors (like Bill Bryson), or if it's something I have reason to believe I may read again.

My main reasons, aside from being homebound by the virus, are to cut down on wasted space and paper, and to borrow library books without going down to the library.

But in general, yeah - real books are awesome.

Have you read The Body yet? Another excellent Bryson book.

feedback