[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 314103 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #375 on: April 08, 2020, 03:00:41 PM »
My google fu is failing me .. wasn't there an election in the south last year .. maybe Virginia or SC .. where the results were so faulty, they cancelled the election and had to re-run it?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #376 on: April 08, 2020, 03:03:38 PM »
My google fu is failing me .. wasn't there an election in the south last year .. maybe Virginia or SC .. where the results were so faulty, they cancelled the election and had to re-run it?

You may be referring to this North Carolina congressional race that was so mired in corruption that a do-over was ordered.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/09/north-carolina-ninth-district-fraud-mccready-bishop/597412/

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #377 on: April 08, 2020, 03:04:23 PM »

Yes.  A North Carolina Congressional election.  There was out and out fraud in that one though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_North_Carolina%27s_9th_congressional_district_election
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #378 on: April 08, 2020, 03:09:29 PM »
You may be referring to this North Carolina congressional race that was so mired in corruption that a do-over was ordered.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/09/north-carolina-ninth-district-fraud-mccready-bishop/597412/

Can't be right. Only Democrats commit fraud with mail-in ballots

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #379 on: April 08, 2020, 03:19:28 PM »
How the fudge did Madison have 66 of 92 polling stations open, and MKE only 5 of 180?    The article mentioned Madison had more perhaps because they are more politically motivated.   

That may be true .. but I'm still having trouble understanding Milwaukee's decision here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #380 on: April 08, 2020, 04:07:04 PM »

Yep, that was in my district.

After accusing the Dems of trying to cheat for years, the NC GOP got caught with their hands in the ballot jar. Despite mounting evidence, the first GOP candidate denied, denied, denied, denied until his own son testified about the depth of the fraud. Then the candidate, tears streaming down his face, finally called for a new election and took himself off the ballot.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #381 on: April 08, 2020, 04:10:55 PM »
How the fudge did Madison have 66 of 92 polling stations open, and MKE only 5 of 180?    The article mentioned Madison had more perhaps because they are more politically motivated.   

That may be true .. but I'm still having trouble understanding Milwaukee's decision here.

Barrett is up against Lena Taylor for mayor.  What better reason to suppress the African American vote than to ensure your own reelection.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #382 on: April 08, 2020, 04:20:29 PM »
Barrett is up against Lena Taylor for mayor.  What better reason to suppress the African American vote than to ensure your own reelection.

Barrett has cruised to re-election every year, like by 30+ points .. was there any polling data that showed this was a close election?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #383 on: April 08, 2020, 04:28:17 PM »
Barrett has cruised to re-election every year, like by 30+ points .. was there any polling data that showed this was a close election?

Lol no. Absolutely nothing to show it was anywhere near close.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #384 on: April 08, 2020, 04:28:36 PM »

Theres some pretty big concern about Barrett funding development into downtown while leaving the neighborhoods in disarray.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #385 on: April 08, 2020, 05:32:33 PM »
Theres some pretty big concern about Barrett funding development into downtown while leaving the neighborhoods in disarray.

That was Lena's major talking point.  Doubtful that she was, however, going to win this election even with every polling place open.  Madison recruited laid off bar tenders.  I'm not sure what Milwaukee did.  Why not open up all the fire-stations and ask the MFD to assist? 
Ludum habemus.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #386 on: April 08, 2020, 05:34:51 PM »
That was Lena's major talking point.  Doubtful that she was, however, going to win this election even with every polling place open.  Madison recruited laid off bar tenders.  I'm not sure what Milwaukee did.  Why not open up all the fire-stations and ask the MFD to assist? 

Because they have their own work to do.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #387 on: April 08, 2020, 05:36:43 PM »
This is a hell of a time to have a dysfunctional relationship between the executive and legislative.

https://www.wasb.org/mjs-gop-covid-19-legislation-would-allow-state-budget-committee-to-cut-spending-including-aid-to-schools/

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #388 on: April 08, 2020, 06:47:55 PM »
Because they have their own work to do.

Fire stations have been used as polling places in Wisconsin for decades.  Madison used two yesterday.
Ludum habemus.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #389 on: April 08, 2020, 06:56:19 PM »
This is a hell of a time to have a dysfunctional relationship between the executive and legislative.

https://www.wasb.org/mjs-gop-covid-19-legislation-would-allow-state-budget-committee-to-cut-spending-including-aid-to-schools/

Corrupt to the core.

Gerrymander the state to gain unlimited power and then use it to declare that they get to make the decisions if a D is elected governor.

I don’t think there is a state that has been more open and brazen about its corruption.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #390 on: April 08, 2020, 07:05:57 PM »

We used to do that.   Too many alarms going out.   Firefighters with political bumper stickers parked too close to entrances.   Access to expensive stuff when the crews are out on alarms.   Sanitary reasons.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #391 on: April 08, 2020, 07:43:26 PM »
Anyone think hospital PPE likely needs to be reassessed? Maybe something more sustainable and reusable?

This would be a great idea.  A way to sterilize certain PPEs as we can now see.  This is probably going to be one of the biggest barriers for dental offices to function. If we can’t replenish our PPEs, we are essentially shut down again.  I have enough to start, but I’m sure we will blow thru those in no time.  Then what?  Just spoke to 2 suppliers, level 3’s and N95’s?  First I heard the phone drop followed by muffled crazy person laughter.
don't...don't don't don't don't

🏀

• All American
« Reply #392 on: April 08, 2020, 08:26:40 PM »
This would be a great idea.  A way to sterilize certain PPEs as we can now see.  This is probably going to be one of the biggest barriers for dental offices to function. If we can’t replenish our PPEs, we are essentially shut down again.  I have enough to start, but I’m sure we will blow thru those in no time.  Then what?  Just spoke to 2 suppliers, level 3’s and N95’s?  First I heard the phone drop followed by muffled crazy person laughter.

I’m totally going to need a cleaning soon too.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #393 on: April 08, 2020, 10:12:20 PM »
Does anyone have numbers for voters in Milwaukee yesterday?

Close as I can tell, it will be way, way less than the 2016 primary. Only 18,000+ voted yesterday. So far, absentee ballots at under 60,000. So even with a few trickling in yet, the number will be under 90,000.

2016? 193,000. So in case anyone is wondering why Rs were so insistent on voting in the middle of a pandemic yesterday.....

If anyone has updated numbers, please post.

Your numbers are really close.    96k requested absentee, 56k have been returned, so 40k COULD be on their way in the mail*.   19k voted in person yesterday.

They said it would exceed the 2012 primary but not 2016.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #394 on: April 08, 2020, 11:15:02 PM »

Your numbers are really close.    96k requested absentee, 56k have been returned, so 40k COULD be on their way in the mail*.   19k voted in person yesterday.

They said it would exceed the 2012 primary but not 2016.

True, but I don’t think comparing to 2012 is apt as there was no Dem primary in what is a Dem stronghold.

Also, my numbers in the original post for 2016 were Dem numbers only - not total votes.

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #395 on: April 09, 2020, 07:43:27 AM »
The ethical of issues of having 5 polling stations out of 180 open for an area of the state with the highest African American population should be obvious to everyone. Then add in the fact there is a global pandemic that is disproportionately affecting and killing African Americans in this country(and specifically Milwaukee County).  I’m about as independent on politics as they come and if that isn’t voter suppression made worse by gross incompetence, I’m not sure what is.

The reality is there is zero shame in politics anymore and the idea of “doing the right thing” for the betterment of society is just about dead. People like Robin Vos and Scott Fitzgerald will go on conservative talk shows and pat themselves on the back for a job well done. Tony Evers will complain about the injustice, but had no problem with this election moving forward when he was closing schools throughout the state and shuttering businesses three weeks ago. Meanwhile the Milwaukee Election Commission and Neil Albrecht will complain to the high heavens that they needed more poll workers, but then overstaffed the 5 polling places they had.

The failure of this touches literally every portion of Wisconsin politics regardless of party and should disgust everyone. And the kicker is we won’t know for a week if this will be a match turns Milwaukee into a hot spot. Talk about political malpractice of the highest degree. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #396 on: April 09, 2020, 08:07:21 AM »
True, but I don’t think comparing to 2012 is apt as there was no Dem primary in what is a Dem stronghold.

Also, my numbers in the original post for 2016 were Dem numbers only - not total votes.

Yep, was just there for reference data.   I did see one interesting item, that turnout is estimated at 1.4m votes .. the 2019 WISC race had 1.2m.    So the big question is .. who are those 200k people who voted in 2020 but not 2019 ..

--

Also .. has anyone seen a decent media report on "why only 5" polling stations in MKE?   I've never seen more than a few sentences about it.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #397 on: April 09, 2020, 08:28:32 AM »
I’ll echo Bo, I’ve used the same mask the last 4? days. Do we have enough PPE as we are managing now? Probably. Do we have enough to manage as we should? Hell no.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #398 on: April 09, 2020, 08:42:18 AM »
The ethical of issues of having 5 polling stations out of 180 open for an area of the state with the highest African American population should be obvious to everyone. Then add in the fact there is a global pandemic that is disproportionately affecting and killing African Americans in this country(and specifically Milwaukee County).  I’m about as independent on politics as they come and if that isn’t voter suppression made worse by gross incompetence, I’m not sure what is.

The reality is there is zero shame in politics anymore and the idea of “doing the right thing” for the betterment of society is just about dead. People like Robin Vos and Scott Fitzgerald will go on conservative talk shows and pat themselves on the back for a job well done. Tony Evers will complain about the injustice, but had no problem with this election moving forward when he was closing schools throughout the state and shuttering businesses three weeks ago. Meanwhile the Milwaukee Election Commission and Neil Albrecht will complain to the high heavens that they needed more poll workers, but then overstaffed the 5 polling places they had.

The failure of this touches literally every portion of Wisconsin politics regardless of party and should disgust everyone. And the kicker is we won’t know for a week if this will be a match turns Milwaukee into a hot spot. Talk about political malpractice of the highest degree.

Well said

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #399 on: April 09, 2020, 09:14:07 AM »
WI is reason #1 why mail in voting in November would be a clusterf

Apparently postal workers were returning ballots without postage not knowing no postage was required.

feedback