[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 315610 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #1825 on: September 24, 2020, 02:03:20 PM »
That's an unwarranted cheap shot. This is typical of the Illinois-Wisconsin dymanic. We give you a cute nickname like "Cheeseheads" and you call us "F--king Bastards." And then say we're the twats? Wisconsin has a collective anger problem to go with its weight problem, it seems.
And, with all due respect, you're the one who led the charge to bash Illinois in this thread, i.e. "Build that wall." I'm merely responding to the nonsense.
Regardless, we love Wisconsin. You're our feisty little neighbor to the north with the better fishing and good spots to launch our boats (and fireworks!). Truth be told, most of us north of I-80 like you guys way more than our downstate residents.

Thank you for proving my point.  I guess you guys don't understand the humor in being called FIBs... and obviously "build that wall" was a joke... but you must have missed that as well.  Plus humor/sarcasm has problems translating over the internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_the_United_States

Wisconsin 32.0% (21st)
Illinois 31.1%  (27th)

So yes, we're fatter, but not by much  ;D  Plus, we're your skinniest neighbor.   :P

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1826 on: September 24, 2020, 02:08:59 PM »
Everyone should be tested as frequently as possible if we want to get this under control.  What we are doing now is pure stupidity... but that has been the case since March.  Problem is that we haven't scaled our testing because we aren't approaching this like it is a pandemic.

so, how often? every morning before or after we brush and floss?  twice a day?  what?  we take everyone's temperature.  i take mine multiple times per day, but testing?  let's be reasonable here
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1827 on: September 24, 2020, 02:14:06 PM »
Speaking of Wisconsin and Covid....

Another, um, banner day, with 2,392 new cases reported. Tryin' to give ND and SD a run for their money.

https://twitter.com/DHSWI/status/1309206070137630720?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1828 on: September 24, 2020, 02:14:41 PM »
Thank you for proving my point.  I guess you guys don't understand the humor in being called FIBs... and obviously "build that wall" was a joke... but you must have missed that as well.  Plus humor/sarcasm has problems translating over the internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_the_United_States

Wisconsin 32.0% (21st)
Illinois 31.1%  (27th)

So yes, we're fatter, but not by much  ;D  Plus, we're your skinniest neighbor.   :P

Dish better than you take, it seems.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1829 on: September 24, 2020, 02:16:47 PM »
so, how often? every morning before or after we brush and floss?  twice a day?  what?  we take everyone's temperature.  i take mine multiple times per day, but testing?  let's be reasonable here

I'm sorry, I was told you wanted a functioning society.  I'm being reasonable, our country isn't interested.

Ideally, you get a rapid test in the morning every day.  Short of a vaccine, treatment, or disappearance (ha!) daily rapid testing can all but eliminate spread.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1830 on: September 24, 2020, 02:17:37 PM »
Dish better than you take, it seems.

I mean, it is the better state and Chicago was originally supposed to be part of Wisconsin.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1831 on: September 24, 2020, 02:36:13 PM »
I mean, it is the better state and Chicago was originally supposed to be part of Wisconsin.

Wisconsin should be so lucky.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1832 on: September 24, 2020, 02:38:21 PM »

Had to fact check, didn't know it's true. Wonder what Milwaukee or Kenosha or Racine would all be like today has that happened.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1833 on: September 24, 2020, 02:44:53 PM »
From the Wikipedia:

"During the discussions leading up to Illinois's admission to the Union, the proposed northern boundary of the state was moved twice.[30] The original provisions of the Northwest Ordinance had specified a boundary that would have been tangent to the southern tip of Lake Michigan. Such a boundary would have left Illinois with no shoreline on Lake Michigan at all. However, as Indiana had successfully been granted a 10-mile (16 km) northern extension of its boundary to provide it with a usable lakefront, the original bill for Illinois statehood, submitted to Congress on January 23, 1818, stipulated a northern border at the same latitude as Indiana's, which is defined as 10 miles north of the southernmost extremity of Lake Michigan. However, the Illinois delegate, Nathaniel Pope, wanted more, and lobbied to have the boundary moved further north. The final bill passed by Congress included an amendment to shift the border to 42° 30' north, which is approximately 51 miles (82 km) north of the Indiana northern border. This shift added 8,500 square miles (22,000 km2) to the state, including the lead mining region near Galena. More importantly, it added nearly 50 miles of Lake Michigan shoreline and the Chicago River. Pope and others envisioned a canal that would connect the Chicago and Illinois rivers and thus connect the Great Lakes to the Mississippi."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #1834 on: September 24, 2020, 02:49:54 PM »
Also, Wisconsin should have had St. Paul as well.  The original Northwest Ordinance said that the Northwest Territory could only be divided into a minimum of five states (Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin).  And, after the other four were admitted, the Wisconsin Territory had the Mississippi River as its western border to its source, then it went due north to what is now Canada.

But timber interests wanted to be part of a territory and not a state, so the border was altered to where it is now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1835 on: September 24, 2020, 02:56:31 PM »
These border stories are covered in the book How States got their Shapes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1836 on: September 24, 2020, 02:59:57 PM »
Wisconsin could have had Michigan's Upper Peninsula (and still can as far as I am concerned) except for Toledo.    Ohio got Toledo, Michigan got the UP.    In hindsight, Michigan should have said thanks for taking Toledo.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #1837 on: September 24, 2020, 03:07:49 PM »
Wisconsin could have had Michigan's Upper Peninsula (and still can as far as I am concerned) except for Toledo.    Ohio got Toledo, Michigan got the UP.    In hindsight, Michigan should have said thanks for taking Toledo.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_(proposed_U.S._state)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1838 on: September 24, 2020, 03:13:36 PM »

There is actually a possibility to have a test that only detects when you have enough virus to be contagious and requires no lab work.  Done like a pregnancy test or a strip test immersed in a vial.  It’s been sketched out at $1 a day per test.   

The perception is that it won’t detect everyone with the virus and therefore not accurate and not advancing in the FDA, etc.  When in practice this could do what everyone has been advocating for —removing only the contagious from society/economy. 

From what I have read this Seems like a strategic and practical shift that does have merit and certainly isn’t ‘unreasonable’.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1839 on: September 24, 2020, 04:54:09 PM »

I grew up in WI until I left for college and now am back in the state after a decade in Chicago and I have never understood the “humor”. It’s always been cringey to me and was most often said by people who embodied most negative Wisconsin stereotypes and were aggressively proud of rarely, if ever, leaving the state and many had not spent more than an afternoon in Chicago.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1840 on: September 24, 2020, 05:24:24 PM »
I grew up in WI until I left for college and now am back in the state after a decade in Chicago and I have never understood the “humor”. It’s always been cringey to me and was most often said by people who embodied most negative Wisconsin stereotypes and were aggressively proud of rarely, if ever, leaving the state and many had not spent more than an afternoon in Chicago.

I mean, there was a food cart in Madison named FIBS (Fantastic Italian Beef and Sausage) until it burned.  So there are plenty of people who see the humor in it.  And well, maybe you just know some crummy people who call people FIBS.  I've only ever said it around my friends in jest.  I don't doubt that some people mean it when they say it... but you're right, they're usually pretty trashy people.

There are some people who take offense at getting called fat, jealous, unhappy, and dependent upon Chicago... Like Pakuni did for a page or so before clutching his pearls about being called a FIB (not by me, nor anyone else here) by some specter from the past he has drug into this conversation.  I called him a twat, because he was acting twatty and arrogant.

For the record, anyone who is proud of not traveling is not playing with a full deck.  That's my opinion as well as yours.  But I guess, different strokes, as they say.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1841 on: September 24, 2020, 05:54:22 PM »
I mean, there was a food cart in Madison named FIBS (Fantastic Italian Beef and Sausage) until it burned.  So there are plenty of people who see the humor in it.  And well, maybe you just know some crummy people who call people FIBS.  I've only ever said it around my friends in jest.  I don't doubt that some people mean it when they say it... but you're right, they're usually pretty trashy people.

There are some people who take offense at getting called fat, jealous, unhappy, and dependent upon Chicago... Like Pakuni did for a page or so before clutching his pearls about being called a FIB (not by me, nor anyone else here) by some specter from the past he has drug into this conversation.  I called him a twat, because he was acting twatty and arrogant.

For the record, anyone who is proud of not traveling is not playing with a full deck.  That's my opinion as well as yours.  But I guess, different strokes, as they say.

Apparently calling people FIBS* and saying they should be surrounded by a wall is Carlin-level humor, but poking fun of Wisconsinites for their little brother syndrome is "twatty."
You seem needlessly triggered about some mild and good-natured jokes at your state's expense. Lighten up. You live in God's country, after all.

* over which absolutely no one clutches pearls ... we just laugh at the lack of originality.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 06:03:15 PM by Pakuni »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1842 on: September 24, 2020, 06:14:30 PM »
Speaking of Wisconsinites with anger problems ...
(Nice bad movie reference, though)

Grew up in IL, cuz.   If anything, WI has mellowed me out.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1843 on: September 24, 2020, 06:26:53 PM »
Well this is strange.  I can only assume from the recent conversation that Covid is "solved' in WI.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1844 on: September 24, 2020, 10:00:32 PM »
Well this is strange.  I can only assume from the recent conversation that Covid is "solved' in WI.

Brutal .. https://twitter.com/SarahHauer/status/1309231028884647938

Wisconsin has "unprecedented, near-exponential growth" in new coronavirus case counts, largely driven by young people. More Wisconsinites are in the hospital now with COVID-19 than in April. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1845 on: September 24, 2020, 10:14:22 PM »

Wisconsin has "unprecedented, near-exponential growth" in new coronavirus case counts, largely driven by young people. More Wisconsinites are in the hospital now with COVID-19 than in April. 

The replies, man.

And apologies for leading the thread astray.  I'll say no more about that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1846 on: September 24, 2020, 10:14:48 PM »

It really is staggering how quickly the numbers have gone up in the past few weeks. And the positivity rate has been hovering in the 18% range, so the rapid increase is likely to continue for a while.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1847 on: September 25, 2020, 12:49:46 AM »

That I can agree with, and it baffling defies geography and socioeconomics.  It’s obviously commonly found in “trashy” MURICA folks, but I remember turning off Chicago sports talk radio one time in annoyance cause the hosts said why waste your time with time zone changes or “weird food” when you could just go to Cancun.

On the other hand, I had a roommate who dated a girl whose parents were both wealthy Chicago lawyers and they had a handful of vacation homes...yet she didn’t, nor had she ever, possessed a passport.  She found absolutely nothing odd or bizarre with that.  Same roommate moved to LA and got his MBA at USC. He had a classmate who went to UCSB, grew up in Calabasas, drove a Porsche and talked all the time about his parents matching Bentleys....but his first time ON A F-ING PLANE, was a summer group trip to Asia. Dude had never been farther than NorCal/Vegas/Zona despite growing up in extreme wealth. Just wild.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1848 on: September 25, 2020, 05:58:47 AM »
Apparently calling people FIBS* and saying they should be surrounded by a wall is Carlin-level humor, but poking fun of Wisconsinites for their little brother syndrome is "twatty."
You seem needlessly triggered about some mild and good-natured jokes at your state's expense. Lighten up. You live in God's country, after all.

* over which absolutely no one clutches pearls ... we just laugh at the lack of originality.

I never claimed I was funny.  As for triggered, I'm not the one who dropped a bunch of insults and then couldn't handle absolutely MASSIVE hit back of being called twatty.  Once.  You were being provocative, so I responded with a mild insult.  Which apparently, makes me little brother  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1849 on: September 25, 2020, 08:18:15 AM »
A year ago or so a MU classmate posted a picture on FB of his family at a park 2 hours west of Chicago.  I said to my wife, it was the first time I could ever remember a Chicago friend exploring the state of Illinois.  It seems every Chicagoan goes to Wisconsin, Indiana (dunes) or Michigan for quick getaways.  You never hear anyone say, we found a great little spot downstate.

Chicago definitely feels like it's not perfectly at home in Illinois. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback