[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anti-virus for laptop.  (Read 2676 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Anti-virus for laptop.
« on: March 19, 2020, 06:04:36 AM »
I just bought a Surface Book 2. Looking at Bit Defender, Norton, Mcafee etc. Was wondering which one to get.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Anti-virus for laptop.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 07:55:28 AM »
I just bought a Surface Book 2. Looking at Bit Defender, Norton, Mcafee etc. Was wondering which one to get.

My cable company, Optimum, provides Mcafee complimentary so I have on all the home computers and avoid the annual subscription.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 07:58:29 AM »
Malwarebytes

Macafee is literally a scam.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 08:34:46 AM »
My antivirus subscription was expiring about a year ago. My son-in-law works for Microsoft and I asked him for a recommendation. He said: "You have Windows 10; you don't need antivirus software. It's built in." I was extremely skeptical and asked several follow-up questions. He insisted it was true, said he hasn't used antivirus software for his laptop for years with no problems. Reluctantly, I decided to give it a whirl. It's been a year now, and not a single problem.

My other computer is a Chromebook. Definitely don't need antivirus software for that one. And we never had any when we owned Apple devices.

Not telling anybody what to do, just relaying my own personal situation.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 08:39:27 AM »
Who gets viruses on their computers these days?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 08:47:06 AM »
I work in IT Security/Compliance. I use Sophos home. It is free. They have a paid premium product but I've never used it.

Most of your standard AV products are incredibly similar. They pull down antivirus definitions on a regular interval (daily, weekly, etc.). A lot of these end up being from the same sources. There are some minor differences, but nothing I consider significant.

Use good internet hygeine. Don't clink malicious suspicious links in email or websites, avoid clicking banner ads, use Chrome web browser, limit your usage of naughty sites, and if you do visit them, use an old ipad or something that you don't care about with no sensitive data on it, not your primary computer. All of that will go a long way.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:48:59 AM by Coleman »

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 08:50:11 AM »

Use good internet hygeine. Don't clink malicious suspicious links in email or websites, avoid clicking banner ads, use Chrome web browser, limit your usage of naughty sites, and if you do visit them, use an old ipad or something that you don't care about with no sensitive data on it, not your primary computer. All of that will go a long way.

Including Scoop

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 09:29:43 AM »
My antivirus subscription was expiring about a year ago. My son-in-law works for Microsoft and I asked him for a recommendation. He said: "You have Windows 10; you don't need antivirus software. It's built in." I was extremely skeptical and asked several follow-up questions. He insisted it was true, said he hasn't used antivirus software for his laptop for years with no problems. Reluctantly, I decided to give it a whirl. It's been a year now, and not a single problem.

My other computer is a Chromebook. Definitely don't need antivirus software for that one. And we never had any when we owned Apple devices.

This is 100% true.  If you have Windows 10 (a new surface book does) you don't need to waste $$$ on extra antivirus software cluttering up the computer. Microsoft now now builds in very good antivirus software - and it updates it's signatures all the time.

Official details:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/comprehensive-security

Also though, if you're using an older version of Windows that doesn't have windows defender, Microsoft supplies "security essentials" for free that includes basically the same antivirus capability.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

Moral of the story - third party AV is a waste of money, and will only slow down your computer.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:31:25 AM by rocky_warrior »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »
U block origins
Maybe Malwarebytes

That's it.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 04:38:25 PM »
As a security professional - Microsoft built in.
Also support uBlock origin on any browser.
Privacy Badger from EFF for those concerned about such things.

Stopped buying AV products after several have been difficult to remove and simply became bloatware.

Also recommend using a password manager.  There are several out there that are effective and easy to use. I use keepass at work, and a free version of a commercial product.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 12:23:24 AM »

Any idea if the same is true for mac?  Is there a built in AV?  I've used Norton for years but lately it doesn't seem to be compatible with some of the new communication interfaces between iphone and mac, and it's constantly disabling my printer.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 03:36:04 AM »
Any idea if the same is true for mac?  Is there a built in AV?  I've used Norton for years but lately it doesn't seem to be compatible with some of the new communication interfaces between iphone and mac, and it's constantly disabling my printer.

Yeah, get rid of it.

Malwarebytes for the occasional bad click and your set.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 05:51:57 AM »
Thanks, appreciate all the comments. I'll stick with Windows.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 08:35:27 AM »
Thanks IT people for the comments.
I think I'm going to switch to Defender on all my PCs.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 09:45:01 AM »

Others have answered which is good, because I'm no tech expert.

When we had a Mac 10 years ago or so, I had read that security software was unnecessary so I never got any. Never had a problem. But I haven't had one in many years.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 11:06:58 AM »
When we had a Mac 10 years ago or so, I had read that security software was unnecessary so I never got any. Never had a problem. But I haven't had one in many years.

I don't use Macs either so can't offer good suggestions - but technically - they're bigger targets of Malware than Windows these days.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/2/12/21134681/mac-pc-virus-malware-malwarebytes

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 05:47:49 PM »
I don't use Macs either so can't offer good suggestions - but technically - they're bigger targets of Malware than Windows these days.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/2/12/21134681/mac-pc-virus-malware-malwarebytes

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 06:39:53 AM »
My iMac is about 6 years old. Run malwarebytes every so often. Never had a problem so far.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 03:19:07 PM »

I keep my naughty site usage to 3 minutes, 2x a day.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback