'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 464163 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #875 on: April 07, 2020, 09:47:52 AM »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #876 on: April 07, 2020, 09:54:51 AM »
The first couple people to release Carton interest also didn't mention us. Only to find out we were one of the first.

On Tuesday morning, Haarms told 247Sports that he also picked up new interest from Xavier, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Texas Tech.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #877 on: April 07, 2020, 10:25:39 AM »
Turner aiming to decide by this weekend...

https://missouri.rivals.com/news/decision-coming-soon-for-transfer-target-turner

did not realize Mizz had an Detroit connection as well...

Missouri’s pitch to Turner has centered around setting him up for success both on the court and off it. He said the coaching staff sees him as a leader. He was already familiar with assistant coach Cornell Mann, a fellow Detroit native, and he said he has developed a sense of trust with head coach Cuonzo Martin.

“Just going in knowing that I got two coaches that I can trust with my future, that’s big,” Turner said of Martin and Mann.

The Missouri coaches also pointed out the success of graduate transfer Kassius Robertson during the 2017-18 season. Robertson came to Missouri from Canisius and led the Tigers in scoring with 16.3 points per game. Turner said he’s a bit bigger than Robertson, but he sees their games as similar, and the Tiger staff believes he could make a similar impact as a scorer.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #878 on: April 07, 2020, 10:33:12 AM »
did not realize Mizz had an Detroit connection as well...

Missouri’s pitch to Turner has centered around setting him up for success both on the court and off it. He said the coaching staff sees him as a leader. He was already familiar with assistant coach Cornell Mann, a fellow Detroit native, and he said he has developed a sense of trust with head coach Cuonzo Martin.

“Just going in knowing that I got two coaches that I can trust with my future, that’s big,” Turner said of Martin and Mann.

The Missouri coaches also pointed out the success of graduate transfer Kassius Robertson during the 2017-18 season. Robertson came to Missouri from Canisius and led the Tigers in scoring with 16.3 points per game. Turner said he’s a bit bigger than Robertson, but he sees their games as similar, and the Tiger staff believes he could make a similar impact as a scorer.

If Turner wants real exposure, MU gives him that compared to Missouri.  He will get the ball at both places, time will tell.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #879 on: April 07, 2020, 11:33:45 AM »
Hopefully, for some recruits, playing at Fiserv Forum might influence a decision in Wojo’s favor.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #880 on: April 07, 2020, 12:44:45 PM »
If they wanted to sit at the end of the bench, probably.

If they wanted to play, I doubt it.

We’ve had a ton of guys “transfer down” from the MU program (Blankson, Amoroso, Mortenson, Hazel, R Smith, Steve Taylor Jr., Traci Carter, Cheatham, etc.). With the exception of Blankson, “meh” players - like Koby, Greg and Jamal.

Different for the really talented ones (Mason, Maymon, McKey, Burton, Mbakwe, Hauser and Hauser). Always be a high major looking for guys like that.

Blankson???
Kid had a really nice career for a then pretty strong UNLV team, he was a really big loss
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #881 on: April 07, 2020, 12:51:54 PM »
Blankson???
Kid had a really nice career for a then pretty strong UNLV team, he was a really big loss

He played one year for a team that lost in the first round of the NIT.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #882 on: April 07, 2020, 12:55:21 PM »

He played one year for a team that lost in the first round of the NIT.
His stats were nice 17 and 10, shooting 57 from 2 and 36 from 3. We definitely could have used that. He played at UNLV for  two years. The first google search only showed 1 year of playing. He scored over 1000 pts for UNLV
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 12:58:56 PM by lawdog77 »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #883 on: April 07, 2020, 01:05:48 PM »
His stats were nice 17 and 10, shooting 57 from 2 and 36 from 3. We definitely could have used that. He played at UNLV for  two years. The first google search only showed 1 year of playing. He scored over 1000 pts for UNLV

Yep
Fluffy spouts off about alot
But it appears he has been following MU for about 2 years
Maybe win an NCAA if he stayed maybe not, but prolly make the NCAAs in 2004
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 01:07:26 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #884 on: April 07, 2020, 01:13:24 PM »
Is it good or bad that MU has no one in the transfer portal?

Good: players like MU, coaches, teammates, etc.

Bad: MU has no players who could make a lateral move via transfer.

Probably both.
I think it is good. However, I worry that transfers are still coming. MU has a history of not releasing players until they finish the school year. New transfers are being announce every day.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #885 on: April 07, 2020, 01:29:46 PM »
Yep
Fluffy spouts off about alot
But it appears he has been following MU for about 2 years
Maybe win an NCAA if he stayed maybe not, but prolly make the NCAAs in 2004

I was addressing the "pretty strong UNLV" portion of your statement.  He was a good player who would have clearly had an impact. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #886 on: April 07, 2020, 01:32:06 PM »
I think it is good. However, I worry that transfers are still coming. MU has a history of not releasing players until they finish the school year. New transfers are being announce every day.

There aren’t very many guys on the team that are logical transfers. Koby is really the only guy that makes a little sense because he could possibly be in a position grad transfer. Doesn’t sound like the immediate transfer rule is going to go into effect for next season. Plus, based on our lack of guard depth, Koby will get plenty of PT.

Besides him, who makes any sense? Bailey is already 23 years old. Greg and Dexter have already used their redshirts. If Jamal is still around, he’s not leaving - next year is his best chance at real PT. Theo is the only big on the roster. Symir is going to get a ton of PT next season and seems to love where he’s at. That’s it - that’s the entire returning roster.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #887 on: April 07, 2020, 01:35:07 PM »
There aren’t very many guys on the team that are logical transfers. Koby is really the only guy that makes a little sense because he could possibly be in a position grad transfer. Doesn’t sound like the immediate transfer rule is going to go into effect for next season. Plus, based on our lack of guard depth, Koby will get plenty of PT.

Besides him, who makes any sense? Bailey is already 23 years old. Greg and Dexter have already used their redshirts. If Jamal is still around, he’s not leaving - next year is his best chance at real PT. Theo is the only big on the roster. Symir is going to get a ton of PT next season and seems to love where he’s at. That’s it - that’s the entire returning roster.

Sometimes transfers aren't very logical.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #888 on: April 07, 2020, 01:38:33 PM »

Sometimes transfers aren't very logical.

Obviously. But many of them make a world of sense, and that’s all we have to go off. Going into the offseason I wouldn’t have been shocked to see a departure or two. But at this point, when all things are considered, it doesn’t seem very likely.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #889 on: April 07, 2020, 01:39:52 PM »
If Turner wants real exposure, MU gives him that compared to Missouri.  He will get the ball at both places, time will tell.
What I noticed in the article was that he was watching to see if the teams roster changed. Reading between the lines, I took this to mean that a commitment from Mane or Carton would end his interest in MU.

I think Wojo is telling all three that they will have the ball in their hands. Therefore the idea of two of the three coming is a pipe dream. Hopefully, we get one of them.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #890 on: April 07, 2020, 01:43:07 PM »
Carton and Turner could absolutely play together. I think having an elite PG would brew an attraction for a scorer like Turner.

If there was an either or situation,  it would be Mane and Turner.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #891 on: April 07, 2020, 02:10:37 PM »
Carton and Turner could absolutely play together. I think having an elite PG would brew an attraction for a scorer like Turner.

If there was an either or situation,  it would be Mane and Turner.

Although if Carton sat out a year(which some have said he wants to do(supposedly)), then Turner wouldn't even play with him.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #892 on: April 07, 2020, 04:22:29 PM »
Re: Immediate transfer rule - no, I don't think that's going to come to fruition this off-season.

HOWEVA...

Until I'm shown evidence to the contrary, I think with this whole virus/pandemic/not finishing up the postseason for 19/20, the LARGE majority of transfers this off-season will be granted an immediate eligibility waiver.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #893 on: April 07, 2020, 04:33:46 PM »

I agree with this analysis.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #894 on: April 07, 2020, 05:27:19 PM »

I believe Cain makes more sense than Koby. I think Koby is more wishful thinking by some than a true flight risk.

I think Cain would be more likely because he has a good amount of raw potential that hasn’t come to fruition. Taking a year off to practice and hone your skills so that your senior year can showcase a more finished product makes sense. If I was him, I would think about redshirting to get better and graduate with my buddy.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #895 on: April 07, 2020, 05:28:01 PM »
I thought only Stan kept players in the Marquette basketball program. I thought Stan left. I figured the program would just fold since no players would want to be here and play under Wojo without Stan forcing them against their will to do so.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #896 on: April 07, 2020, 06:03:32 PM »
Tyrese Martin committed to UConn. MU had been mentioned early in the process. Not sure if he had trimmed his list or not before committing. Too bad, other than Carton might have been the best sit out transfer on the market this season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #897 on: April 07, 2020, 09:40:19 PM »
I thought only Stan kept players in the Marquette basketball program. I thought Stan left. I figured the program would just fold since no players would want to be here and play under Wojo without Stan forcing them against their will to do so.

See above. Tell me what player on our roster makes ANY sense to transfer?  I’m glad all are apparently staying. That’s good. Yet, not sure we can hang our hat on this as proof positive Wojo is the reason.

Could you share with the board what you see in Wojo that leads you to believe he is above reproach or should be immune from skepticism/criticism?  I’m genuinely curious why for 6 years straight you’ve been die hard in your support?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #898 on: April 07, 2020, 09:46:50 PM »
See above. Tell me what player on our roster makes ANY sense to transfer?  I’m glad all are apparently staying. That’s good. Yet, not sure we can hang our hat on this as proof positive Wojo is the reason.

Could you share with the board what you see in Wojo that leads you to believe he is above reproach or should be immune from skepticism/criticism?  I’m genuinely curious why for 6 years straight you’ve been die hard in your support?

I support Wojo because he is the head coach of Marquette’s men’s basketball program and I’m a fan of the Marquette men’s basketball team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #899 on: April 07, 2020, 09:59:03 PM »
I support Wojo because he is the head coach of Marquette’s men’s basketball program and I’m a fan of the Marquette men’s basketball team.

Bob Dukiet would have loved you. Maybe played a piano recital for you and your family. He always said his next piano recital was his most important one.

feedback