Maximilian Langenfeld by Jay Bee
[Today at 08:30:29 PM]

Academic All Americans by Jay Bee
[Today at 08:29:00 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 469567 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #250 on: March 25, 2020, 12:11:32 AM »
While lecturing someone the other day, his point of superiority is that he is a coaches son....LOL

I’ll take Elon any day over that.

Dodd’s is tough to take. Not a fan.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #251 on: March 25, 2020, 12:23:23 AM »
https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/1242569080416190467

Corey Evans
@coreyevans_10
James Madison transfer Darius Banks has heard from a list of schools including Butler, Charlotte, Colorado State, ETSU, FAU, Georgia, Liberty, Marquette, Northwestern, Oregon State, UNF, USF, and UTSA, he tells
@RivalsPortal
Averaged 12.2 points & 4.9 rebounds last season

A little lower hanging fruit than I would hope for but we aren't the only high major kicking the tires. As far as I know he is a sit one, play one. If he did graduate in three years, his value goes up a bit.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #252 on: March 25, 2020, 12:48:31 AM »
Do you think we could (especially in the off-season) have a board, similar to the SOTG tally, keeping track of the bans? It's confusing, with people being banned under different names - who keeps that all straight?

We've only had 3 bans (of non-spammers) in the past 30 days.  2 of those bans are expired and folks are back to posting. 

As to transfers, I admittedly haven't been keeping up.  But hope we can grab a Center that could play right away / back Theo up.  If that doesn't work out, a flyer to some low ranked HS dude will probably be the backup plan.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #253 on: March 25, 2020, 01:37:24 AM »
Interesting history on the portal and what it is.

http://www.ncaa.org/static/champion/what-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-is/

When Marquette was getting listed with all these transfers it made me wonder if Marquette was really reaching out to all of them, if athleteS could contact schools they were interested in, and what “heard from” really means.

We can’t really tell what “heard from” means because the system isn’t public but athletes can put in contact information and let them see where there is interest. This would give Marquette the ability to reach out direct and gauge interest from the athlete.  I think most of us would believe this is what heard from means.

However; the athlete can also reach out to the schools they are interested in. If MU is selected then they can respond with their own level of interest.  In this scenario, “heard from” just means the school responded to the athlete with their level of interest which could be none.  In this scenario, the athlete specifies a do not contact except for the schools they are interested in.

From the few stories that are out there it appears the transfer portal has simplified the process so that coaches can broaden their outreach because the work is less manual.  Heard from could be anything from MU clicked a button to confirm/deny interest to emails/phone calls.

With basketball, I think a lot of “heard froms” are intended to make the athlete appear high in demand so they will list anyone who responded. I would also not be surprised if the athlete just provides the list of schools they are interested in.

It is interesting how the recruiting experts phrase their posts too. In some, like Banks, they state heard from. In others it is just a list of potential schools. In others like Griffin they state eyes. In others it is receiving interest from.

All this to say is Wojo and team could be turning over every rock, wading through BS athlete interest, or somewhere in the middle.

It would be interesting to hear if someone has been through the process and can shed light on how hard it is to hear back from a school. I could easily see a staffer printing out the list of recruits in the portal, Wojo highlighting the ones he wants to engage with and the staffer responding to everyone not highlighted with a form rejection letter.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #254 on: March 25, 2020, 03:38:27 AM »
Indeed...from NY...wonder if Killings knows anyone connected to him.
hes from Chicago I’m pretty sure

*his brother Adrian Griffin is a 5 star C/O 2021 forward who goes to high school with RJ Davis
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:40:37 AM by GoldenEagles32 »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #255 on: March 25, 2020, 09:22:47 AM »
Just one day of being in the portal, Santa Clara transfer Trey Wertz tells @Stockrisers he’s heard from 20+ programs. He talks his recruitment plus he landed scholarship offer from Arizona’s Sean Miller. Marquette is the newest program involved.

6-4 G, sophomore that averaged nearly 12 ppg and 4 apg, 40% 3fg (50-125) but a TO% north of 20.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #256 on: March 25, 2020, 09:38:15 AM »
@GoodmanHoops: Huge entry to the transfer portal:
Radford’s Carlik Jones is in the portal, source told @Stadium.

20.0 ppg
5.5 apg
5.1 rpg

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #257 on: March 25, 2020, 09:43:35 AM »
@GoodmanHoops: Huge entry to the transfer portal:
Radford’s Carlik Jones is in the portal, source told @Stadium.

20.0 ppg
5.5 apg
5.1 rpg

Was just going to post this. I assume we will be contacting him shortly. Big South POY.
Yes I know the Big South is one of the weakest conferences but he played well in their 3 games against Kenpom "Tier A" competition.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #258 on: March 25, 2020, 10:56:31 AM »

Jeff Borzello
‏Verified account @jeffborzello

Radford grad transfer Carlik Jones has already heard from more than 15 schools, sources told ESPN, including:

Louisville
UConn
Memphis
Maryland
Marquette
Ole Miss
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Virginia Tech
DePaul
West Virginia

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #259 on: March 25, 2020, 11:14:44 AM »

It would be interesting to hear if someone has been through the process and can shed light on how hard it is to hear back from a school. I could easily see a staffer printing out the list of recruits in the portal, Wojo highlighting the ones he wants to engage with and the staffer responding to everyone not highlighted with a form rejection letter.

Every day an assistant looks at the portal, they look up stats, then the staff texts the individuals they like to gauge interest and get transcripts . There is no “sorry, we have chosen not to pursue” letter. Why would a coach do that? It sounds ridiculous. Some kids may reach out but that’s rare. More often than not the staff doesn’t respond to someone they have no interest in, or just tells them they aren’t interested, don’t have room, etc.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #260 on: March 25, 2020, 11:37:25 AM »
There seems to be a strong, deep group of guards transferring this year. I'm not sure how this year compares to past years, but it feels like a better year than most.

Hopefully Wojo can land two; one grad and one traditional.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #261 on: March 25, 2020, 11:59:06 AM »
Evan flood hearing MU as favorites for DJ Carton

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #262 on: March 25, 2020, 12:00:34 PM »

Wow. That is shocking to me. Would be a huge get.

Where did you find that?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 12:02:52 PM by pettyworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #263 on: March 25, 2020, 12:16:52 PM »

Hot damn.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #264 on: March 25, 2020, 12:21:19 PM »

Whoa. Where was this stated?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #265 on: March 25, 2020, 12:21:35 PM »
Wow. That is shocking to me. Would be a huge get.

Where did you find that?

247 boards - behind paywall.

flood also mentioned that OSU source said there is stuff going on that teams should stay away from off the court. As well as Brian Snow that a lot of teams are stopping pursuit of DJ as there is some stuff behind the scenes that will be coming out

muguru

• All American
« Reply #266 on: March 25, 2020, 12:24:05 PM »
Corey Evans

@coreyevans_10
·
33m

Tyrese Martin has already been contacted by Arizona State, Butler, Georgia, Marquette, Miami, Ole Miss and Temple
Quote Tweet

Corey Evans

@coreyevans_10
 · 2h
Rhode Island wing Tyrese Martin will transfer, a source tells @RivalsPortal. Averaged over 12 points and seven rebounds last season. Will be a heavily recruited prospect this spring
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #267 on: March 25, 2020, 12:33:21 PM »

flood also mentioned that OSU source said there is stuff going on that teams should stay away from off the court. As well as Brian Snow that a lot of teams are stopping pursuit of DJ as there is some stuff behind the scenes that will be coming out

That makes me feel like there is actually something to Carton to MU being a real chance. Badger “insider” hears a game changer that the Badgers wanted might go to MU. Get word out there that teams should stay away from the kid ASAP.

Gard didn’t want him/dodged a bullet.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #268 on: March 25, 2020, 12:33:33 PM »

Brian Snow: "I'll put it this way, Xavier is not going to even try to recruit DJ Carton, nor will a lot of schools that reached out. He is going to have a very limited market of suitors, and Xavier will not be one of them."

..."There is A LOT of research for all schools to do with DJ, and how he fits in."

..."not one that needs more out in the public. I will let you guys connect any dots you would like"

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #269 on: March 25, 2020, 12:41:38 PM »
That makes me feel like there is actually something to Carton to MU being a real chance. Badger “insider” hears a game changer that the Badgers wanted might go to MU. Get word out there that teams should stay away from the kid ASAP.

i think you are being a bit naive

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #270 on: March 25, 2020, 12:43:33 PM »
i think you are being a bit naive

I don’t. “I have information that there are some real issues around this kid. The kid is going through enough so I won’t bring it up though.”

Oh, okay. That’ll really help. Let everyone know that nobody wants the kid because of issues he has but then play the good guy and let everyone know they’ll need to find those issues out from a different source.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #271 on: March 25, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »
I don’t. “I have information that there are some real issues around this kid. The kid is going through enough so I won’t bring it up though.”

Oh, okay. That’ll really help. Let everyone know that nobody wants the kid because of issues he has but then play the good guy and let everyone know they’ll need to find those issues out from a different source.

Don't shoot the messenger. I am sure Badger fans want DJ just as bad as Marquette fans do.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #272 on: March 25, 2020, 12:57:02 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger. I am sure Badger fans want DJ just as bad as Marquette fans do.

Whatever the Markus Howard problems he had, he must be doing better.  I am sure MU can sell the kid on the help Markus got.  If MU can get either Mane or Carton,
maybe the Wojo haters will stop for awhile as this would be an impressive group of recruits, then the haters can start up again that he can not coach.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #273 on: March 25, 2020, 01:01:03 PM »

Funny, thats exactly what I thought - if there's one thing we've seen over the past however many years of Wisconsin vs. MU recruiting, there ALWAYS needs to be an excuse as to why Wisconsin isnt the favorite/choice of an athlete.

On Carton: I've said it earlier in this thread and I'll say it again, Carton would be probably the best possible target for our team and would completely transform our outlook. He's that good
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:06:35 PM by Tha Hound »

panda

• All American
« Reply #274 on: March 25, 2020, 01:02:17 PM »
Brian Snow: "I'll put it this way, Xavier is not going to even try to recruit DJ Carton, nor will a lot of schools that reached out. He is going to have a very limited market of suitors, and Xavier will not be one of them."

..."There is A LOT of research for all schools to do with DJ, and how he fits in."

..."not one that needs more out in the public. I will let you guys connect any dots you would like"

It says a lot if Xavier backs out...I’d be leery

feedback