collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Reimbursements?  (Read 5075 times)

skianth16

• All American
Re: Reimbursements?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 11:29:46 AM »

Right. So why go though the effort at all? 

A credit for next year may give students a higher impact.

I get it for simplifying the process. That makes sense. I just didn't follow the negative effect for lower income students piece. Why would next year's credits offer a higher impact? Are you saying next year's credits are worth more, so by offering a credit for next year, the dollar value would go up?

ie- I get a 6 credit refund at a value of $500 per credit, so a $3,000 refund check. But if the next year's credits are $525 each, then providing me with 6 free credits next year would be worth $3,150? In effect saving me $150 next year?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 11:49:11 AM »
I get it for simplifying the process. That makes sense. I just didn't follow the negative effect for lower income students piece. Why would next year's credits offer a higher impact? Are you saying next year's credits are worth more, so by offering a credit for next year, the dollar value would go up?

I’m saying those with less need are going to get more cash back with reimbursements.

Next year, assuming financial circumstances don’t change, it won’t really matter in the end with a credit. It will just be less hassle.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2020, 06:09:23 PM »
Everyone has a google account, yes?  Use this instead:

https://hangouts.google.com/

Free video conferencing, etc.  Works great.

But just like Zoom, I'd wonder if they have the capacity to handle virtually every college student in America using it at once. And then you add foreign college students, business meetings, perhaps eventually high schools, etc. Google is huge and I'm sure they have a lot of capacity, but that might put them over the top.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2020, 07:02:15 PM »
But just like Zoom, I'd wonder if they have the capacity to handle virtually every college student in America using it at once. And then you add foreign college students, business meetings, perhaps eventually high schools, etc. Google is huge and I'm sure they have a lot of capacity, but that might put them over the top.

My daughter from Purdue said it was up to each professor to decide which platform to use. She’ll be using several. That might help. Not sure if that was by design, or just everyone scrambling at the last minute.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2020, 07:40:33 PM »
Still gotta pay the administrators to post on Scoop all day, eh?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2020, 10:20:50 PM »
Georgetown is reimbursing. My daughter is driving to DC tomorrow to move out of her dorm. Crazy, crazy times.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2020, 04:09:44 AM »
My son is at New York university which has panicked and told all the students to go away.  In that case there must be a refund.

Interestingly, my other son's high school switched to online learning last week and seems far more organized than the University.  They have a parent feedback process, a student feedback process, a mix of videos, notes, quizzes, tests, and physical assignments that the student must do at home (with video) and send the video back to the teacher.  Very impressive.  They're using zoom and google classroom.  Makes me not even consider asking them for a refund because they are so organized.

By the way, I'm paying 50% for the H.S. compared to the university.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2020, 06:28:47 AM »
My son is at New York university which has panicked and told all the students to go away.  In that case there must be a refund.

Interestingly, my other son's high school switched to online learning last week and seems far more organized than the University.  They have a parent feedback process, a student feedback process, a mix of videos, notes, quizzes, tests, and physical assignments that the student must do at home (with video) and send the video back to the teacher.  Very impressive.  They're using zoom and google classroom.  Makes me not even consider asking them for a refund because they are so organized.

This doesn't surprise me.  The high school may have the online material already built in to the modules that they teach.  College professors have a much wider latittude, some of which is very difficult to put online.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2020, 08:04:11 AM »

This doesn't surprise me.  The high school may have the online material already built in to the modules that they teach.  College professors have a much wider latittude, some of which is very difficult to put online.

I would also add that at many universities, teaching makes up a small fraction of what college professors do. 

At a premiere research university like NYU, it's probably not an exaggeration to say that the average professor spends only about 5% of their time teaching.  The other 95% is focused squarely on research.

NYU's tuition is steep, not because they have the best teachers, but because of its other benefits: being educated alongside very bright peers; tapping into its network of noteworthy alumni; access to top researchers; and, of course, the experience of being in New York City for the most formative years of your life.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2020, 10:00:30 AM »

Another aspect, beyond those listed by others above, is the rigor of the class. An entry level college class often will cover 3-4x the amount of material in a semester that a high school does. There are also more concerns that the rigor of the class is maintained in entry level classes so students aren't behind in classes that require it as a prerequisite.

In high school, they don't worry about those things, they just need to have contact hours, which is why so many high school kids are woefully unprepared for entry level college courses.

For upper level classes, there are often no books, nothing commercial, for the class. It is all professor generated, so you can't lean on some company for online materials in a pinch. Everything in high school courses is essentially a canned program, lots of easily available materials from commercial sources, so converting to online only just requires a google search.

feedback