[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Chances NCAA Tournament Gets Cancelled?  (Read 30913 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Chances NCAA Tournament Gets Cancelled?
« on: March 11, 2020, 10:55:15 AM »
I think at this point its worth discussing in its own thread. 

I would (selfishly) hope they'd just play without fans, but I have to imagine completely cancelling the tournament is at least on the table at this point. 

What a damn shame that would be. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BM1090

• All American
Re: Chances NCAA Tournament Gets Cancelled?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 10:59:55 AM »
I can't imagine it'll get cancelled. Maybe without fans.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 11:02:21 AM »
Was listening to Norlander and Parrish's podcast today, and they made a good point how tons of money would be lost to local venues, but NCAA will still get their Turner/TV paycheck.

So my guess is a minimal percent to cancel the whole thing, but maybe 25% chance there won't be fans.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 11:09:35 AM »
I can't imagine it'll get cancelled. Maybe without fans.

I thought that too because of the huge cash involved. Then big money events like Indian Wells, SXSW and Coachella all got canceled or postponed when they could simply have shown them on TV and/or online. So now I wonder....

muguru

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 11:23:42 AM »
This whole thing is beyond ridiculous. That's my opinion, others have different opinions and I respect that, but c'mon...are we all supposed to just live in bubbles?? Cancelling the NCAA tournament would be the absolute worst decision ever. Someone explain to the players, especially seniors who work so hard all year long for the opportunity and for it to get canceled?? That would be total BS. Even playing without fans would be a joke, but if that's what they gotta do..I guess. People are treating this like it's the bubonic plague. Thank the media for that.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 11:37:43 AM »
This whole thing is beyond ridiculous. That's my opinion, others have different opinions and I respect that, but c'mon...are we all supposed to just live in bubbles?? Cancelling the NCAA tournament would be the absolute worst decision ever. Someone explain to the players, especially seniors who work so hard all year long for the opportunity and for it to get canceled?? That would be total BS. Even playing without fans would be a joke, but if that's what they gotta do..I guess. People are treating this like it's the bubonic plague. Thank the media for that.

Cant believe I agree with guru on this one.  People are blowing this COVID thing way out of proportion.

If you're worried about getting sick, don't go out in public.  If you are sick, don't go out in public.  Simple as that.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 11:40:31 AM »
Cant believe I agree with guru on this one.  People are blowing this COVID thing way out of proportion.

If you're worried about getting sick, don't go out in public.  If you are sick, don't go out in public.  Simple as that.

It really isn’t that simple. Not saying that the tournament should be cancelled by any means, but exactly how is someone supposed to simply not go out in public?  Do they work?  Shop?  What about their family members?  Kids in school?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 11:44:36 AM »
This whole thing is beyond ridiculous. That's my opinion, others have different opinions and I respect that, but c'mon...are we all supposed to just live in bubbles?? Cancelling the NCAA tournament would be the absolute worst decision ever. Someone explain to the players, especially seniors who work so hard all year long for the opportunity and for it to get canceled?? That would be total BS. Even playing without fans would be a joke, but if that's what they gotta do..I guess. People are treating this like it's the bubonic plague. Thank the media statistics for that.
Fixed for accuracy
No Finish Line

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 11:47:57 AM »

Afreakingmen...

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 11:58:58 AM »
It really isn’t that simple. Not saying that the tournament should be cancelled by any means, but exactly how is someone supposed to simply not go out in public?  Do they work?  Shop?  What about their family members?  Kids in school?

In this case, if you're worried about getting sick, don't attend the NCAA tournament.  If you already have tickets, sell them to someone else.  Stay home and watch it on TV.  I'm sure there are plenty of people that still want to go to the games and are willing to take the "risk".  I'm so sick of this notion that we aren't smart enough to take care of ourselves.

If you want to live in a bubble, go live in a bubble.  But don't make me live in a bubble if I'm healthy.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 12:02:41 PM »
This Fall, I bought 4 tickets to the Finals for myself and my three boys.  First ever.  I would rather them cancel (or play in front of no fans) than have to make a decision.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 12:11:17 PM »
This is absolute insanity!!  Shall we get into all the things that more people die from every day and every year in the US!!!  My god this is 100% on the media hyping this like NEVER before!!!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 12:14:24 PM »
Slightly off topic. 
Connecticut group in charge of high school athletics cancelled all Winter Sports state finals.  Hockey, basketball, etc. 
There are people are preparing to file a lawsuit to play the games with no one in attendance.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 12:16:30 PM »
This Fall, I bought 4 tickets to the Finals for myself and my three boys.  First ever.  I would rather them cancel (or play in front of no fans) than have to make a decision.

Sell your tickets then?  If you don't want to make the decision, that would be the best thing to do IMO. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 12:19:19 PM »
They’ve had to basically shut down a developed, wealthy country because of it and we probably aren’t that far behind where they are.

I’d go to a game at Fiserv no problem (going to a concert there tonight and a Bucks game there next Monday). But to pretend it’s just some run of the mill virus like any flu or cold is just as ridiculous as canceling the tournament, maybe even more ridiculous.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 12:21:37 PM »
My god this is 100% on the media hyping this like NEVER before!!!

Didn't know that the media isolated the whole country of Italy and caused 120,000 cases or 4,400 deaths...to date.

Regardless, as the number of tests available has been an issue the number of cases will skyrocket once the available tests increase. I would be surprised if the tournament is played with fans come this time next week. Schools and or states may make the decision for the NCAA that they will not permit the events to go on with fans.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 12:30:36 PM »
was the swine flu in 2009/10 viewed as more deadly?  I don't recall a lot of events cancelled.

I read an estimated 12,000 people died in the US from the swine flu.  An estimated 250,000-500,000 worldwide died.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 12:37:10 PM »

You realize you can have the virus for a while without showing symptoms or feeling sick and spread it that way, right?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2020, 12:40:45 PM »
This is just incredible...I've had sleepless nights and think about/worry about things like how the hell MU is going to beat Seton Hall tomorrow night, and you all are worried about some virus going around...I feel like we are all going to be the "walking dead" soon the way this has been treated.  ::)

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2020, 12:44:10 PM »

Wtf is wrong with people. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2020, 12:44:53 PM »
This is just incredible...I've had sleepless nights and think about/worry about things like how the hell MU is going to beat Seton Hall tomorrow night, and you all are worried about some virus going around...I feel like we are all going to be the "walking dead" soon the way this has been treated.  ::)
I'll buy you a one-way ticket to Italy...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2020, 12:46:22 PM »

Solid, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2020, 12:46:34 PM »
Wtf is wrong with people.

They're dumb. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 12:48:55 PM »

Hy price ta pay ta finally convince peeps ta wash der hands, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 12:51:44 PM »
Universities are cancelling travel for faculty and staff. They are directing students to stay off campus, because it is not safe to travel back from Spring Break. But, hey, revenue, let the athletes be at risk...don't want to risk profiting.