[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East POY  (Read 8984 times)

ryegge

• Walk-On
Big East POY
« on: March 07, 2020, 09:54:02 PM »
Let me start by saying I am a huge Markus Howard fan and will miss watching him score   

That being said, after watching all these Bis East games today, there are four or five guys I want taking that last shot rather then Markus.

Take this last game of the night with Butler/Xavier, I would want Baldwin or Marshall for the game winner or tie. And it came down to those two in the last 10 seconds with Baldwin getting the win.

Thoughts Marquette fans??

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Big East POY
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 09:55:29 PM »
My thought is who I’d want taking the last shot of a game is very low on my list of requirements for a POY.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ryegge

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 10:07:11 PM »
What??
Really??
So your POY candidate isn’t the guy with the ball in his hands to win the game??
Okay, whatever!!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 10:08:28 PM »
What??
Really??
So your POY candidate isn’t the guy with the ball in his hands to win the game??
Okay, whatever!!

Yeah, probably not the guy getting triple teamed and then hedged. Wouldn’t be a great play.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 10:11:40 PM »
It's the situations that lead up to a final shot attempt that make it frustrating.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 10:12:23 PM »
What??
Really??
Okay, whatever!!

Not what he said. But if you think Baldwin is BEPOY have fun with that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 10:18:39 PM »
What??
Really??
Okay, whatever!!

Robert Horry was taking the last shots on numerous championship teams including teams with Koby/Shaq and Duncan/Parker/Ginobli. I personally wouldn’t consider Horry to be the best players on those teams, but that’s just my opinion.

I’d rather have had LBJ making the play to get an open shot for Ray Allen or Wade on those Heat teams. To me, LBJ was still the best player on those teams.

Who you want taking a last shot doesn’t mean they’re the best player on a team or in a league.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ryegge

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 10:19:28 PM »
And I didn’t say Baldwin for POY

We shall see the POY results soon. Unfortunately it will not be Markus.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 10:24:05 PM »
Imagine thinking Naji Marshall should be POY before Markus. Or that you’d rather have a 31% shooter from 3 pull it over one of the best scorers in NCAA history.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 07:57:24 AM »
It's the situations that lead up to a final shot attempt that make it frustrating.
Maybe the coach should draw up a different play (this coming from a Projoer)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 08:19:10 AM »
Maybe the coach should draw up a different play (this coming from a Projoer)

I would like to see that too...but remember that Wojo will ALWAYS have to assume that the other team will be on Markus like a blanket, and he has to remember that the guys around him aren't always the greatest passers.

It would have been nice to see what Markus could have done with a PG who can consistently find open guys in shooting rhythm - a guy like Junior or even Derrick. They had their limitations in raw physical ability, but they were solid ballhandlers and passers. Wojo has tried to find those guys, but Chartouny and McEwen have struggled to spread the ball around without turning it over.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 08:21:02 AM by GooooMarquette »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 12:32:53 PM »

I would like to see that too...but remember that Wojo will ALWAYS have to assume that the other team will be on Markus like a blanket, and he has to remember that the guys around him aren't always the greatest passers.

It would have been nice to see what Markus could have done with a PG who can consistently find open guys in shooting rhythm - a guy like Junior or even Derrick. They had their limitations in raw physical ability, but they were solid ballhandlers and passers. Wojo has tried to find those guys, but Chartouny and McEwen have struggled to spread the ball around without turning it over.
Derrick couldn't find an open shooter if you gave him a compass and a map.  I was hoping Koby would be the guy you were asking for.  A big PG who could cover the opponent's best guard and who could find the open man while having to be respected himself is exactly what Markus needs as a running mate.  Those guys are not easy to find.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 01:55:40 PM »
I am expecting POY to not come from a team who lost to everybody at the end of the season.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 01:57:09 PM »
I am expecting POY to not come from a team who lost to everybody at the end of the season.

You mean not again?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 03:06:25 PM »

Hall finished the year 5-5 in last 10.

Marquette finished the year 4-6 in last 10.

Whichever guy gets it, his team was mediocre to end the season.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 03:10:19 PM »
Hall finished the year 5-5 in last 10.

Marquette finished the year 4-6 in last 10.

Whichever guy gets it, his team was mediocre to end the season.

Hall abused us on our home court save for a very late run...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 03:15:29 PM »
Hall abused us on our home court save for a very late run...

And Howard was fantastic in that game. Did everything he could.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2020, 03:17:12 PM »
And Howard was fantastic in that game. Did everything he could.

He shot really well, yes. 

My post though you quoted was in response that their teams finishing 10 were comparable.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2020, 03:25:54 PM »
Derrick couldn't find an open shooter if you gave him a compass and a map.  I was hoping Koby would be the guy you were asking for.  A big PG who could cover the opponent's best guard and who could find the open man while having to be respected himself is exactly what Markus needs as a running mate.  Those guys are not easy to find.

You might want to notify all the websites that list stats showing otherwise. In addition to a very respectable 366 career assists (despite starting only 2 seasons), Derrick had a nearly 3:1 assist:TO ratio. He would have been EXACTLY what Markus needed - a guy who could bring the ball up court without turning it over, and then dish it to Markus.

I get that he didn't have the flashy "wow" factor that people want in a PG, and he was a lousy shooter. But your comment about his ability to find an open shooter is simply wrong.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2020, 03:32:29 PM »
He shot really well, yes. 

My post though you quoted was in response that their teams finishing 10 were comparable.

Both teams scuffled to the finish.  However, one's star had his best stretch of the season while the other's was miserable.  The Marquette game was the only game down the stretch where Powell even played like a 1st team All BE player, much less POY.

If you're gonna give a guy a bump for having a "better" team, its worth noticing neither team finished strong.  Then you look at individual performances and its no question.

Its all a moot point, I think everyone knows the Powell POY narrative was written and booked months ago, but yet again, with Hall falling apart when they all they had to do was not lose 3 of their last 5 at home, there is literally no parameter or metric where Powell has been markedly better than Markus this year, and plenty where he trails starkly

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2020, 06:57:27 PM »
This is insane if Powell really wins it by this much..WTF is the infatuation with Myles Powell??

Who is the Big East Player of the Year?

I polled 30 of the 40 head and assistant coaches in the league, and the response was surprisingly one-sided.

Here's more on @FS1's Inside The Big East: pic.twitter.com/RRPmHslLUi
    — Evan Daniels (@EvanDaniels) March 10, 2020

25 of the 30 for Powell, 3 for Howard, 1 each for Baldwin and Alexander. Really?? WTF are the Coaches watching??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2020, 07:30:06 PM »
This is insane if Powell really wins it by this much..WTF is the infatuation with Myles Powell??

Who is the Big East Player of the Year?

I polled 30 of the 40 head and assistant coaches in the league, and the response was surprisingly one-sided.

Here's more on @FS1's Inside The Big East: pic.twitter.com/RRPmHslLUi
    — Evan Daniels (@EvanDaniels) March 10, 2020

25 of the 30 for Powell, 3 for Howard, 1 each for Baldwin and Alexander. Really?? WTF are the Coaches watching??
Right or wrong, agree or disagree, the label of Markus being a player who doesn’t make anyone around him better really stuck down the stretch this season. It was a frequent narrative every time his name was discussed.
No Finish Line

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2020, 07:35:03 PM »
Right or wrong, agree or disagree, the label of Markus being a player who doesn’t make anyone around him better really stuck down the stretch this season. It was a frequent narrative every time his name was discussed.

Yep, unfortunate. Seton Hall is really playing well. Will be interesting to see what happens Thursday. I feel like Markus would have to lead MU to the big east tournament title to win POY at this point.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2020, 07:54:03 PM »

You might want to notify all the websites that list stats showing otherwise. In addition to a very respectable 366 career assists (despite starting only 2 seasons), Derrick had a nearly 3:1 assist:TO ratio. He would have been EXACTLY what Markus needed - a guy who could bring the ball up court without turning it over, and then dish it to Markus.

I get that he didn't have the flashy "wow" factor that people want in a PG, and he was a lousy shooter. But your comment about his ability to find an open shooter is simply wrong.

As Ignatius J. Reilly would say, “Oh, my God.”  There’s been a lot of talk about “knowing ball” on here lately, and if you think Derrick is “exactly” what any team needs, you simply do not know ball.  In all my years of watching basketball, Derrick was the worst high major starting guard I’ve ever seen.  Definitely the worst for Marquette, and it’s not even close.  I’m sure he’s a great guy and this is going to sound incredibly mean, but he was a waste of space on the court.  Whatever the stats that you list say about him, they don’t tell the whole story.  They don’t even give the prologue.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2020, 09:11:58 PM »
Let me start by saying I am a huge Markus Howard fan and will miss watching him score   

That being said, after watching all these Bis East games today, there are four or five guys I want taking that last shot rather then Markus.

Take this last game of the night with Butler/Xavier, I would want Baldwin or Marshall for the game winner or tie. And it came down to those two in the last 10 seconds with Baldwin getting the win.

Thoughts Marquette fans??

I think u are an idiot
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

feedback