'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Koby McEwen  (Read 35367 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: Koby McEwen
« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2020, 07:12:01 AM »
There is a very high probability that Marquette will be a worse 3P and FT shooting team next season.
Wojo inherited an empty cupboard.  He needs 5 years to rebuild. Things will look a lot better by 2025.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2020, 07:28:03 AM »
1- Markus was also very inconsistent from 3. MH had 7 conference games of 18 in which he shot over 40% from beyond the arc. Doesn’t sound terrible (for his abilities of course), but 4 of the 7 were the last four games of the season. For the first 14 conference games of this season Markus shot over 40% from three in only 3 games, including 3/12, 4/12, 4/18 type of performances.

2- That said, with regards to the “driving and initiating contact” I believe you are right, we will see much much more of that next season. Thing is though, that is when you will also see a ton of the “we can’t shoot for crape!!” and “this team can’t shoot free throws!!!” posts all over this joint.

There is a very high probability that Marquette will be a worse 3P and FT shooting team next season.

I have to be honest.  I have heard a lot of criticisms about Markus, but "inconsistent from 3" is certainly a new one.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2020, 07:57:25 AM »
Is Moby the new Teve?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2020, 08:12:28 AM »
1- Markus was also very inconsistent from 3. MH had 7 conference games of 18 in which he shot over 40% from beyond the arc. Doesn’t sound terrible (for his abilities of course), but 4 of the 7 were the last four games of the season. For the first 14 conference games of this season Markus shot over 40% from three in only 3 games, including 3/12, 4/12, 4/18 type of performances.

2- That said, with regards to the “driving and initiating contact” I believe you are right, we will see much much more of that next season. Thing is though, that is when you will also see a ton of the “we can’t shoot for crape!!” and “this team can’t shoot free throws!!!” posts all over this joint.

As Jaybee loves telling us, it's about ft rate rather than straight up percentage.  Markus was great at drawing fouls and great at making his fts and he will be missed, but if the team identity becomes more drive orientated rather than three point shooting, our ft rate can skyrocket. 

Something to keep an eye on.  Buzz loved to stress paint touches, I broadened it up to just getting inside the three point line, and last year there would be stretches of  as many as 4 or 5 straight possessions where the ball never got closer than 22 feet 1.75 inches to the basket.  Just passing around the perimeter, high ball screen, and Markus 3.  That won't work now that Markus is gone.  We'll still have to shoot our 3's at a respectable clip, but we should be more selective about when we chuck.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:37:04 AM by Its DJOver »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2020, 08:34:59 AM »
As Jaybee loves telling us, it's about ft rate rather than straight up percentage.  Markus was great at drawing fouls and great at making his fts and he will be missed, but if the team identity becomes more drive orientated rather than three point shooting, our ft rate can skyrocket. 

Something to keep an eye on.  Buzz loved to stress paint touches, I broadened it up to just getting inside the three point line, and last year there would be stretches of  as many as 4 or 5 straight possessions where the ball never got closer than 20 feet 9 inches to the basket.  Just passing around the perimeter, high ball screen, and Markus 3.  That won't work now that Markus is gone.  We'll still have to shoot our 3's at a respectable clip, but we should be more selective about when we chuck.
BTW, the 3 point line was 22 feet 1.75 inches last season.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2020, 08:36:29 AM »
BTW, the 3 point line was 22 feet 1.75 inches last season.
mea culpa

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2020, 09:32:41 AM »
Last night Koby and Symir went on instagram live and were answering questions. Some asked how koby's thumb is.

He said that is thumb was feeling good but if he gets hit hard there in a game he might need to come out for a couple plays. Said he hurt it last year in practice when someone ran into his hand during a shooting drill.

Both were asked about DJ and both seemed really happy he is here

MU82

• All American
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2020, 09:49:17 AM »
Last night Koby and Symir went on instagram live and were answering questions. Some asked how koby's thumb is.

He said that is thumb was feeling good but if he gets hit hard there in a game he might need to come out for a couple plays. Said he hurt it last year in practice when someone ran into his hand during a shooting drill.

Both were asked about DJ and both seemed really happy he is here

Koby didn't say he thought he needed surgery?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2020, 10:33:30 AM »
Koby didn't say he thought he needed surgery?
Did not mention getting surgery

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2020, 10:09:41 AM »

I wonder if as elective surgeries get postponed that he’s going the Theo route of just dealing with it instead of missing time.

I was hopeful a lot of his struggles were thumb related. Maybe it will heal some with time, but was hoping we’d see him with ab healthy hand.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2020, 10:14:31 AM »

A recent article (don't recall which one) definitely said that Koby, Theo and Greg all needed surgeries they were unable to get at this point. 

Speaking of which - just send these guys to Minnesota to get these surgeries.  Elective surgeries open back up next week in MN.  Need all three of those guys healthy from day 1. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:17:36 AM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2020, 10:59:33 AM »
A recent article (don't recall which one) definitely said that Koby, Theo and Greg all needed surgeries they were unable to get at this point. 

Speaking of which - just send these guys to Minnesota to get these surgeries.  Elective surgeries open back up next week in MN.  Need all three of those guys healthy from day 1.

Yeah, I think it was when Wojo was discussing every player on the roster a week or two back. Which is why I wondered if Koby had mentioned it about himself, which he apparently didn't, which is a little surprising if he actually needs surgery.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2020, 11:25:36 AM »

Milwaukee isn't far off. Surgeries that weren't being done are now taking priority for COVID testing over some symptomatic patients. Hospital budgets are getting hammered and the only way to balance the profit margins is surgeries.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2020, 01:43:00 PM »
Theo posted a picture on his Snapchat in hospital robes, could be getting surgery?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2020, 07:51:59 PM »
Goal is National Championship

Class71

• All American
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2020, 12:55:49 AM »
I'm not thrilled with Wojo's results but lay off Koby.

Koby is busting his but to play as well as he can for our team. I'm sure he is a first class person like Wojo and the rest of the team. Outside of wins and losses this is a coach and team we can be proud of as MU fans.

You know my dentist is a really great guy and respected by everyone. The only small issue is he can not fill a tooth but he is a first class person.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #141 on: December 15, 2020, 09:26:03 AM »
I won't name names, but there are quite a few hot takes in here, and a serving of crow may do some posters some good.  7 game sample size isn't huge, but 4 of those have been against high majors.  Let's look at some numbers.

58% from 2 (would be career high if it can be maintained).
42% from 3 (would be career high if it can be maintained).
ORtg of 124.1 (would be career high if it can be maintained).
DRtg of 99.9 (would be career best if it can be maintained)
TS% of 65% (would be career high if it can be maintained).
eFG% of 61% (would be career high if it can be maintained).
TOV% of 16 (would be career best if it can be maintained).  Also noteworthy that I can't remember an "into the third row" pass yet

Also, as a side note, whenever we have a guard struggle the "X player is the new Derrick" comments need to stop.  Koby got it last year, Sy's getting it right now, and we should really be better than that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2020, 10:44:16 AM »
Koby has been way better than my expectations. Typically, our transfers start slow but we see their potential around middle of the first year. Last year, his decision making & shot selection was questionable at best. He's improved those this year. Still wish he had a better handle, but he's exceeded my expectations to date.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2020, 11:07:55 AM »
Koby has benefited greatly from a major change in his role. Credit to him for adapting and to the coaches for working him this way.

He also has matured some, and that has helped keep him from being his own worse enemy.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2020, 11:10:21 AM »
Koby has been balling.  Love it. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2020, 11:11:46 AM »
I was kind of hoping that Koby could kind of morph into a Trent Lockett-ish player this season, but he actually has been better than that.

For one thing, there is nobody I'd rather take a must-have FT.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2020, 11:24:24 AM »
Koby has been way better than my expectations. Typically, our transfers start slow but we see their potential around middle of the first year. Last year, his decision making & shot selection was questionable at best. He's improved those this year. Still wish he had a better handle, but he's exceeded my expectations to date.

I thought with a pure PG like Carton, that Koby would flourish.

I agree with your point about last year. The only way he could produce on offense along side Marcus was by trying to do everything himself. Now he can work within the offense. He can give up the ball and expect to get it back again. That didn’t happen last year.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2020, 11:47:36 AM »
I was kind of hoping that Koby could kind of morph into a Trent Lockett-ish player this season, but he actually has been better than that.

For one thing, there is nobody I'd rather take a must-have FT.

+1

The reliability at the FT line is huge.  He’s the only one I don’t feel nervous about. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2020, 07:03:46 PM »
I thought with a pure PG like Carton, that Koby would flourish.

I agree with your point about last year. The only way he could produce on offense along side Marcus was by trying to do everything himself. Now he can work within the offense. He can give up the ball and expect to get it back again. That didn’t happen last year.
Who is Marcus?
Goal is National Championship

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #149 on: December 15, 2020, 07:07:48 PM »
Who is Marcus?

Former teammate of Kobe’s.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback