Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

When will Interim Coach Stan Johnson Take Over?

Halftime
9 (6.3%)
15 minutes after the game
7 (4.9%)
Following our BET loss
20 (14%)
Not happening. Keep Dreaming.
76 (53.1%)
Arby's
25 (17.5%)
Oh ye of little faith, we were just slow to get going.
6 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Author Topic: Interim Coach Stan Johnson  (Read 20947 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: Interim Coach Stan Johnson
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2020, 03:21:32 PM »
Yes. He will be a great head coach because of what they show on TV during timeouts.

🙄🙄🙄
I agree but you have to admit, Wojo's timeouts on TV have been telling of his coaching ability.  ;D

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2020, 03:35:11 PM »
Really hoping the team loses the bid at this point its just beating a dead horse out there.  Time to have mercy and end the season with some dignity

Hit eject.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2020, 03:41:33 PM »
After hearing Stan in the timeouts in each of the last two games, I’m even more convinced he is 100% NOT the problem, and 100% a great and viable solution.

The contrast of content/coaching between he and Wojo in those segments was illuminating AF.

I think the Hauser family would disagree with your assessment.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 03:42:22 PM »

Dave Hauser and his opinions can get the unnatural carnal knowledge out of here.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 05:04:24 PM »

LMAO.  Pure fiction.  But go ahead, and share with all of us what you've heard...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2020, 05:06:35 PM »
Stan Johnson has shown to be a good recruiter. The fact that someone has not tried to hire him as a head coach should probably tell you something.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2020, 05:11:42 PM »
Yes. He will be a great head coach because of what they show on TV during timeouts.

🙄🙄🙄

Well Fluff - I said 10 games into Buzz's tenure that he'd likely take us to Elite 8s/Final Fours if he stayed here 10 years....and some here (perhaps you were in that camp), ridiculed me.

I also told this board 7 games into Wojo's tenure that he didn't have it...and got banned here multiple times over for sounding the alarm.

As it relates to Stan?  Sure..you can ridicule these in the huddle segments..but..if what we hear out of Wojo is his best (which it should be during games), it is embarrassing - particularly when measured against Stan's messaging.  Stan is much more on point, coherent, and astute in his messaging.

Stan would retain all the recruits, not command a massive salary, provide continuity, and is a good recruiter.  No reason to not give him a 3-4 year deal to see what he can do.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2020, 05:15:44 PM »
Stan Johnson has shown to be a good recruiter. The fact that someone has not tried to hire him as a head coach should probably tell you something.

Yep. Stan or Wojo or both will not be here next year. My money is on Stan.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2020, 05:18:53 PM »
Well Fluff - I said 10 games into Buzz's tenure that he'd likely take us to Elite 8s/Final Fours if he stayed here 10 years....and some here (perhaps you were in that camp), ridiculed me.

I also told this board 7 games into Wojo's tenure that he didn't have it...and got banned here multiple times over for sounding the alarm.

As it relates to Stan?  Sure..you can ridicule these in the huddle segments..but..if what we hear out of Wojo is his best (which it should be during games), it is embarrassing - particularly when measured against Stan's messaging.  Stan is much more on point, coherent, and astute in his messaging.

Stan would retain all the recruits, not command a massive salary, provide continuity, and is a good recruiter.  No reason to not give him a 3-4 year deal to see what he can do.

Slight correction: you got banned multiple times because you’re a tool.

Stan might be a good coach. I have no idea. But I know enough not to base my opinion on how he conducts televised huddles. Just like I wouldn’t compare a player to Magic Johnson based on their performance versus Grambling.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2020, 05:28:08 PM »
Stan makes a nice salary at MU. Good recruiter, maybe, maybe not. Good coach, not sure. No big program is going to risk hiring him. Only chance is if Wojo leaves, but who is hiring him? Salary is pretty nice at MU

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2020, 05:51:31 PM »
I think Wojo quits.  Assuming he is gone isn't Stan the best we are going to do?  Keep the recruits etc give him a couple years.  No chance in hell Mu actually hires an experienced coach.

Brian wardle time?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2020, 06:31:45 PM »
Slight correction: you got banned multiple times because you’re a tool.

Stan might be a good coach. I have no idea. But I know enough not to base my opinion on how he conducts televised huddles. Just like I wouldn’t compare a player to Magic Johnson based on their performance versus Grambling.

Look.  You can call me a tool...don't really care.  Truth of the matter is, is that I was right about Buzz, right about Larry Williams de-railing Buzz/the program (while before it came to light - you called me a tin-foil hat guy), and right about Wojo not having it.

Feel free to continue on with the "funny" joke about Magic Dawson.  Saying someone made passes that were Magic Johnson-esque, isn't saying he's Magic Johnson.  Funny the guy is good enough to make the G-League 3 years in a row.  But hey...no doubt Derrick Wilson was a better option.

As for Stan - my perception is based on his being our best recruiter, interviews I've seen, and the from the recent in the huddle segments.  Of course you will never know what an assistant can be until he becomes a head coach.  Duh.  But...it is pretty f'in easy to see Stan is sharper and far more charismatic.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2020, 06:51:25 PM »
Who recruited Garcia, Osa and Lewis?  If Stan, he's the new head coach. Let's give him a chance and keep the recruits.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2020, 06:56:21 PM »
I think Wojo quits.  Assuming he is gone isn't Stan the best we are going to do?  Keep the recruits etc give him a couple years.  No chance in hell Mu actually hires an experienced coach.

Brian wardle time?

You mean he like quits, stays at home to complete some hobbies and lose millions, or resigns to take another position?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2020, 07:02:32 PM »
Yep. Stan or Wojo or both will not be here next year. My money is on Stan.

So, based on your previous post and this one... Are you saying Stan is part of the problem and he's going to leave? (Either because he wants out or because Wojo is thinks he's a problem)

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2020, 07:26:45 PM »
So, based on your previous post and this one... Are you saying Stan is part of the problem and he's going to leave? (Either because he wants out or because Wojo is thinks he's a problem)

Stan did recruit these guys...

They don't fit together...

There's a lot to be said there. 

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2020, 07:31:15 PM »

They don't fit together...

There's a lot to be said there.

They don't fit together because the head coach has major limitations.  There is only so much an assistant can do.  You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink applies. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2020, 07:36:50 PM »
Who recruited Garcia, Osa and Lewis?  If Stan, he's the new head coach. Let's give him a chance and keep the recruits.
Killings for Lewis.  Stan for a Osa and more of the crew for Garcia.  Tread lightly here.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2020, 07:38:26 PM »
Team is a complete disaster. Kinda feel bad for Howard, what a crap way to end. Has all these scoring records, but lack of winning throughout his career, I don't think he will ever be considered an all time MU great. After the last few games, is he even an All America? The team coaching is just so bad....

FIFY

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2020, 08:01:41 PM »

Clueless per usual.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2020, 08:18:13 PM »

Brian wardle time?

There is zero chance he quits.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2020, 08:26:57 PM »
Assuming he is gone isn't Stan the best we are going to do? 

Wow, is this how badly the Wojo era has devalued perception of this program?? 

It hasn’t for me. This program can and should be very strong year in and year out. Find the right guy. They’re out there.  Scholl’s job to figure it out and start cleaning up this mess

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2020, 08:29:48 PM »
You think there is ZERO chance he leaves and takes another job?

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2020, 08:30:22 PM »
Clueless per usual.

Coming from the guy who carries Wojo on his shoulders.  Next please! 

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2020, 08:32:14 PM »
You think there is ZERO chance he leaves and takes another job?

I think he’s coached himself out of any P6 openings, even the worst ones.  He definitely would no longer be a candidate for Wake.  They ain’t paying Danny Manning a $15 million buyout to hire Wojo.

feedback