Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's perspective  (Read 10404 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
Wojo's perspective
« on: March 04, 2020, 12:07:41 PM »
Wojo realizes what's going on.  He understands the team's flaws, how they got to this point, and what the prospects for future success are.  Further, he knows that most of the fan base have lost faith in him, and potentially his supervisors.  That said, if you're him, do you really want to be a part of an environment like this?  If I'm him (or his agent), I'm looking at an administrative position at another college, media, or USA Basketball.  He doesn't strike me as a big ego guy that needs to the alpha dog, so he should have a number of professional opportunities in athletics/basketball outside of being a major D1 head coach.  For his sake, and the University's, the best case scenario is a quiet off-season exit/promotion.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Wojo's perspective
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 12:23:13 PM »
If I'm Wojo, I have confidence in my abilities to right the ship.  I look at the great recruiting class I have coming in, and I believe that we are building something worthwhile.  I know I have a good situation here in a great basketball conference, at a school with an enormous basketball budget that plays games in a state-of-the-art NBA arena and top-notch practice facilities.  I see that we have top-15 attendance at games.  I'm not going anywhere.  I want to build at Marquette what Coach K has built at Duke, and I believe this is a place that I can do that.  And I believe that although the road is sometimes rocky, I'm on the right track.

*ducks*
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 12:26:47 PM »
That is Tom Crean-esque confidence!
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 12:32:59 PM »
If I'm Wojo, I have confidence in my abilities to right the ship.  I look at the great recruiting class I have coming in, and I believe that we are building something worthwhile.  I know I have a good situation here in a great basketball conference, at a school with an enormous basketball budget that plays games in a state-of-the-art NBA arena and top-notch practice facilities.  I see that we have top-15 attendance at games.  I'm not going anywhere.  I want to build at Marquette what Coach K has built at Duke, and I believe this is a place that I can do that.  And I believe that although the road is sometimes rocky, I'm on the right track.

*ducks*

I have confidence in my abilities to bed Jessica Alba. Doesn't mean it is going to happen.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 12:33:59 PM »

*ducks*
Fine if he thinks that. But then he’s selfish and wrong. He’s a bad coach and if he isn’t at least questioning his methodologies at this point he’s completely unhinged with reality.

He inherited a basketball program with rich tradition (both recently and long ago) and turned unbridled enthusiasm into perennial apathy.

Wojo has done a disservice to the Marquette basketball tradition. He needs to leave before this gets any worse (for his own career, as well).

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 12:34:38 PM »
Agree on some levels, ManeCity83. That said, he looks tired lately; a little lost.

These are troublesome days for Marquette and for Wojo. I sincerely hope he can get MU to make a run this post-season. It will take an Elite Eight type run however to remove the cloud that has settled in over Milwaukee.

It has been said that great players make average coaches great, while great coaches make average players good.

I think we have some potentially great players coming in. I am hoping for the best. But, after last night, which sadly is not a sign of an aberration but of a trend, hope is dwindling. An Elite Eight run can right the ship. If not, I fear for rocky times ahead, including lost recruits and a step backwards for this program that could last years.

This is a decisive moment for MU basketball. I’m pulling for Wojo, even as I question more and more his ability to be the man.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 12:40:48 PM »
It's pretty simple, really. 

If I'm Steve, I recognize my contract runs through 2023-24.  Four years worth of buyout is a large sum that few schools are willing to swallow barring significant controversy and/or underachievement.  I have confidence in my abilities to recruit and bring in new players (no matter how much the program has struggled to finish seasons the past 12 months).  I am at a basketball-first school in the self-proclaimed best conference in America.  Unless I get an opportunity that is better for my career and family, I don't need to leave.  Fans are fans - and they will be critical no matter where I am.  Considering the potential openings this Spring (Texas, Boston College, Minnesota, Wake Forest), I don't see any that position me to be in a better position to possibly succeed Coach K than my opportunity at Marquette. 

Now, if the school decides to make a change, then it becomes slightly different.  I see him as the type to probably sit out a year, collect pay checks, do TV work and possibly enter the coaching cycle again next year.

Bottom line, I strongly doubt that Wojo is considering stepping down without a better opportunity in-hand.  I don't see any other "better" opportunities for him though. 

Boone

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 12:41:55 PM »
If Wojo believes any of that BS about his ability to right the ship then he's delusional

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 12:43:35 PM »
An Elite 8 run?!?!?!?!? have you gone mad ?????

In the NIT tournament sure I'll give that to you but even mentioning this team along side run / elite  or even sweet for that matter is a complete joke at this point. 

This team has a better chance of the spirit of Al appearing on the court and willing this team to victory from beyond the grave. 

Who ya gonna call??????? TJO?

panda

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 12:45:14 PM »
He seems to be a thin skinned guy. It will be very hard coaching next season with many considering him to be a lame duck.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 12:46:16 PM »
He seems to be a thin skinned guy. It will be very hard coaching next season with many considering him to be a lame duck.

Totally , his pot looks like its about to boil at this point, you can see it all over his face.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 12:47:45 PM »
Agree about the thin skin stuff. The amount that Wojo bitches and moans through subtext in his press conferences is nauseating. Stop blaming the fanbase for your inability to build a winner.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 12:48:02 PM »

I never saw anything related to his press conference last night. I was curious what kind of tone it would be.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 12:48:53 PM »
I never saw anything related to his press conference last night. I was curious what kind of tone it would be.
He either skipped them or gave a 2 minute boiler plate session. Thin skin.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 12:49:58 PM »
Oh and Marquette has turned off comments on all their YouTube post highlight packages and press conferences. And they report about 60% of twitter responses (even just vanilla criticism). They know.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 12:50:12 PM »
Totally , his pot looks like its about to boil at this point, you can see it all over his face.
Well, he never had to face adversity like this at Duke.  Coach K makes it look easy.  At MU you have to recruit players to fit a system.  Hard to do when you don't have much of an identity on either side of the floor.  These players just don't fit together and that's on the coach. 

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 12:50:34 PM »
I have confidence in my abilities to bed Jessica Alba. Doesn't mean it is going to happen.

Get in line...

Wojo has the Big East's all-time leading scorer and it looks like he is going to graduate without ever winning an NCAA Tournament game.  That is pretty much it in a nutshell.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:54:45 PM by f/k/a humanlung »

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 12:50:43 PM »
Would not be surprised if he was brought to tears last night and would have choked up if anybody pushed him on the podium.  Thus the quick exit back onto I 94

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 01:01:54 PM »
An Elite 8 run?!?!?!?!? have you gone mad ?????

In the NIT tournament sure I'll give that to you but even mentioning this team along side run / elite  or even sweet for that matter is a complete joke at this point. 

This team has a better chance of the spirit of Al appearing on the court and willing this team to victory from beyond the grave. 

Who ya gonna call??????? TJO?

Hmmm. Perhaps I caused some confusion. I do not think we have it in us to make an Elite Eight run. I am hoping for it, but realistically, I just don't see it. My point was, for me personally, I think that is what it would take to salvage this season. Are there other options for salvation? Of course. A Big East Tournament title with a Sweet Sixteen run would also salvage the season for me.

I hope for all of that. I hope for success. I would love Wojo to have that success and to come back to Marquette next year, with his great recruiting class in hand, and lead us to further successes.

I'm not at all convinced we will attain it. Unfortunately, I am slowly becoming convinced of the opposite. Yesterday was deflating. I am not a Nojo...yet. But, unless we do make that highly unlikely Elite Eight run, or something similar, I may soon find myself fully in that camp.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2020, 01:54:04 PM »
Have not seen any posts from the two celebrated Wojo worshippers Tower and Cheeks since we continued the big time melt down Is it because they are recalibrating their defense, have fallen asleep at the wheel, or have they switched their allegiance to De Paul?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2020, 02:18:59 PM »
Oh and Marquette has turned off comments on all their YouTube post highlight packages and press conferences. And they report about 60% of twitter responses (even just vanilla criticism). They know.
Note to MU's Social Media people: STOP POSTING ANYTHING AFTER LOSSES. 

There is no point.  No one wants to know about your posts.  You do NOT want to have "social engagement" after a loss.     Just put away the twitter account for a few days and go about your other business.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 02:25:16 PM »
Doesn't sound like you really have confidence that you can bed Jessica Alba to me.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2020, 02:43:37 PM »
Have not seen any posts from the two celebrated Wojo worshippers Tower and Cheeks since we continued the big time melt down Is it because they are recalibrating their defense, have fallen asleep at the wheel, or have they switched their allegiance to De Paul?

Tower gave up feeding trolls for Lent. You wont see him on Scoop until after Easter.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2020, 02:46:30 PM »
Tower gave up feeding trolls for Lent. You wont see him on Scoop until after Easter.
The old Wojeroo. Seems Tower was the real troll all along!

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2020, 02:52:13 PM »
Note to MU's Social Media people: STOP POSTING ANYTHING AFTER LOSSES. 

There is no point.  No one wants to know about your posts.  You do NOT want to have "social engagement" after a loss.     Just put away the twitter account for a few days and go about your other business.

AMEN!!!!! the twitter account / social media must be run by a boomer or something ?  The bucks and brewers tend to do the same things though?!?!?!? I cant for the life of me understand why they post highlights after losses!!!!!!