[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rebuild Assumptions  (Read 27713 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Rebuild Assumptions
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2020, 09:58:06 AM »

I think we would be able to get a coach who is either a more accomplished assistant or mid major head coach.  Either would be preferable to the top assistant of a failed head coach.

I'd stay away from top assistants of a good coach. We got burned on that once.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2020, 10:01:58 AM »
Disagree with the 4-6 year requirement.  A quick review of Marquette's history and one notes that Kevin O'Neill had the Warriors in the tourney in year 3, and Sweet 16 in year 4. 

Marquette was beyond a dumpster fire when he arrived, someone had stolen the dumpster.

This is absolutely true. 

I keep bumping into Wojo's ceiling and it is bruising my shins.  I, for one, would welcome a dumpster fire at this point on the belief that the MU program's ceiling with another coach is far higher than the slop we have been seeing.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2020, 10:06:27 AM »
Fluffy MU went the Mid major route twice and both were disasters.Bob Dukiet and Mike Deane.Neither could recruit a lick.I will pass on that option.Accomplished assistants such as Dwayne Stephens, Norm Roberts, Kenny Payne, Bino Ransom,Sherman Dilliard and Jon Scheyer.I don't think I would hire any of those guys over Stan.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 10:13:59 AM by Aircraftcarrier »

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2020, 10:08:45 AM »
Fluffy MU went the Mid major route twice and both were disasters.Bob Dukiet and Mike Deane.Neither could recruit a lick.I will pass on that option.Accomplished assistants such as Dwayne Stephens, Norm Roberts, Kenny Payne, Bino Ransom,Sherman Dilliard and Jon Scheyer.I don't think I would hire any of those guys over Stan

This.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2020, 10:13:21 AM »
Wojo walked into a dumpster fire of a roster.

If wojo gets canned, his replacements walks into a similar dumpster fire (all recruits de-commit, a couple transfer out).

3-5 years from then and Marquette might be successful again.

yep.  And by then, all the same people will be turning on that coach.  Its a vicious cycle. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2020, 10:25:47 AM »
All BS.KO walked into a dumpster fire after Dukiet was fired and turned it around pretty quickly even being in an inferior league which makes recruiting harder.Crean had a terrible roster when he was hired after Deane got fired and he turned it around quickly also.I just think Wojo  does not have it.I would hire Stan.I think he would do a good job.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2020, 10:29:17 AM »
People complain about Wojo only having recruiting assistants on the bench and want an experienced X’s and O’s Guy (which is Rob Judson). Why would we think Stan is any better of an Xs and Os coach than Wojo?

Maybe we get Beilein and he brings Yacklich along. I’d also be excited with TJO who has had success as a head coach.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2020, 10:32:48 AM »
Cheebs,sometimes you have to give a person a chance.You may hit the lottery.If MU does not give Buzz a chance where is he today?It is like the college graduate that can't get hired because of no experience.KO and Crean were pretty good for MU with no experience

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2020, 11:02:09 AM »
Cheebs,sometimes you have to give a person a chance.You may hit the lottery.If MU does not give Buzz a chance where is he today?It is like the college graduate that can't get hired because of no experience.KO and Crean were pretty good for MU with no experience

KO and Crean were both assistants for Final Four level programs.  I mean, under your logic, they could literally hire anyone because "you may hit the lottery" and "they just need a chance."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2020, 11:13:23 AM »
Fluffy MU went the Mid major route twice and both were disasters.Bob Dukiet and Mike Deane.Neither could recruit a lick.I will pass on that option.Accomplished assistants such as Dwayne Stephens, Norm Roberts, Kenny Payne, Bino Ransom,Sherman Dilliard and Jon Scheyer.I don't think I would hire any of those guys over Stan.

the revisionist history about Deane is in full effect. Yeah, Deane had his share of misses (Polo, Miller, Hester) but he also brought in some solid to very good pieces in Wardle, Cordell, Jon Harris, Nnamaka, Mike Bargan, Jarod Lovette (before his personal issues took over). DeMarcus Minor had a nice career at Baylor after leaving. Deane just never could close on an alpha. Alton Mason was what killed Deane, the kid was ripping up Hutch in practice but couldn't handle the academics, so Deane stopped recruiting academic risk kids. He also had to recruit to the Old Gym and could not recruit JUCO's. I'd still take an accomplished mid-major head coach over the right-hand man to Wojo, the guy primarily responsible for the current roster.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2020, 11:37:52 AM »
Fluffy hate to tell you but Wojo was an assistant on Final Four teams also.How has that worked out.Has no relevance.Billy Hoyle KO had to recruit to Old Gym also.All excuses.Deane sucked at recruiting period.I don't think you want to go there between KO recruiting and Deane recruiting
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 11:43:30 AM by Aircraftcarrier »

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2020, 11:43:36 AM »
Stan seems likable and an ideal recruiter, but what the heck makes anyone think he's some ideal candidate to take over for Wojo? If MU is going to move on I want them looking for the best of the best this time. Guys with a proven track record. The school has the money and resources to bring in big names. Even if they're older I'm fine with that. But I don't see Stan Johnson as the answer.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2020, 11:45:19 AM »
Markusquette is MU going to pay $4 million?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2020, 11:46:23 AM »
Stan seems likable and an ideal recruiter, but what the heck makes anyone think he's some ideal candidate to take over for Wojo? If MU is going to move on I want them looking for the best of the best this time. Guys with a proven track record. The school has the money and resources to bring in big names. Even if they're older I'm fine with that. But I don't see Stan Johnson as the answer.

If Wojo left (say Wake) then maybe you think about Stan. Otherwise, you don't fire a guy to hire his second in charge. You fire to make real change, not more of the same.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2020, 11:48:13 AM »
Fluffy hate to tell you but Wojo was an assistant on Final Four teams also.How has that worked out.Has no relevance.Billy Hoyle KO had to recruit to Old Gym also.All excuses.Deane sucked at recruiting period.I don't think you want to go there between KO recruiting and Deane recruiting

Of course its relevent.  It just doesn't always work out.  How many currently successful head coaches were one time assistants for a P6 coach who never won an NCAA tournament game?

Now give me the list of currently successful head coaches who were the one time assistant for a P6 coach who made the Final Four?

My guess is the latter dwarfs the former significantly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2020, 11:50:32 AM »

Exactly...I'm so tired of people thinking they can't land an established name coach. They can..if they try hard enough.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2020, 11:51:49 AM »
I'm to the point where I don't really give a crap about the recruiting class anymore.  Wojo has had 5 stars, 4 stars, top 100 guys, top 50 guys, McDonalds All Americans, College All American, proven grad transfers and traditional transfers- and he hasn't accomplished crap.  Why should we worry so much about possibly losing a recruit?  Why would this go round be any different?

The raw talent the program has had in the Wojo years has not been the problem, there are coaches out there that could have done a hell of a lot more with some of these rosters. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2020, 11:52:04 AM »
Markusquette is MU going to pay $4 million?

MU COULD pay whatever it took...for example, and this is JUST an example...if Brad Stevens said he'd take the job for 10Mill a year...MU without question could find $10 mill a year to pay him.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2020, 11:52:33 AM »
Sometimes it doesn't work out.LOL

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2020, 11:53:53 AM »
MU COULD pay whatever it took...for example, and this is JUST an example...if Brad Stevens said he'd take the job for 10Mill a year...MU without question could find $10 mill a year to pay him.

Uhh...yeah....I think that would throw the budget off just a bit.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2020, 11:53:57 AM »
I'm to the point where I don't really give a crap about the recruiting class anymore.  Wojo has had 5 stars, 4 stars, top 100 guys, top 50 guys, McDonalds All Americans, College All American, proven grad transfers and traditional transfers- and he hasn't accomplished crap.  Why should we worry so much about possibly losing a recruit?  Why would this go round be any different?

The raw talent the program has had in the Wojo years has not been the problem, there are coaches out there that could have done a hell of a lot more with some of these rosters.

This is EXACTLY right...I've watched these MU teams under Wojo and thought, man a different Coach and this season would have been so much better. A different coach and MU wins the BE last year. No doubt in my mind.

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2020, 11:54:12 AM »
Sometimes it doesn't work out.LOL

It doesn't.  Clearly.  But the chances of it working out are better if the assistant was an assistant for a successful coach. 

That's a much more logical point than "we might hit the lottery."

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2020, 11:54:38 AM »
muguru let's get one then.You can get a lot of good coaches for $5 million.Why hasn't it been done already?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2020, 11:56:02 AM »
Uhh...yeah....I think that would throw the budget off just a bit.

Without knowing any of them personally, I'd be willing to bet that if Scholl called the biggest donors and said "I can get us Brad Stevens for 10 million a year", there would be checks on his desk to cover it before he even hung up the phone.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2020, 11:58:27 AM »
muguru let's get one then.You can get a lot of good coaches for $5 million.Why hasn't it been done already?

Honestly because as much as MU spends on their program, they always want to go as cheap as possible with a coach. No clue why, that's just the sense I get. It's maddening.

Also, I am 100% convinced that for this admin, winning at the highest levels isn't as important to them as it was to Wild/Cords. I think for this admin, graduating the kids, and them staying out of trouble is the main thing, and whatever results they get on the court are a bonus.

feedback