[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shooting  (Read 2930 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Shooting
« on: March 03, 2020, 09:31:00 PM »
Guys you can destroy Wojo all you want for this slide but he cant put the ball in the bucket.  This slide has coincided with Sacar and Bailey simply not being able to make a shot. 5-16 again tonight. Everyone of them wide open. The defense has been good, tonight it was very good. At some point someone other than Markus has to make a shot.
Does the team stink right now? Absolutely but guys cant be afraid to shoot the ball n expect to win.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 09:32:37 PM »
Norm, Wojo recruited all these non-shooters. Sorry man, he drives the bus, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 09:37:11 PM »
Maybe it's a bit of a reach but I feel like the supporting cast plays much differently without Markus. They may even be nervous to take it out of his hands or do something 'wrong' while he's in the game. Everyone knows Markus takes most of the shots.

When he's on the bench there's no second-guessing. The other guys have to step up and make a play. And in the past they did it by committee. Not saying that necessarily improves three-point shooting but the game plan changes. Because of the way Markus is utilized, in a way he's a detriment to his teammates. Look how often they almost feel forced to find him and defer.

Despite the misses there's still a general lack of movement and good shots. How many tonight were easy looks (not threes but inside)? I can barely remember more than a handful. This team has guys who are capable finishers around the basket if they are set up properly. Really comes back to the lack of a true PG.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:38:55 PM by Markusquette »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 09:37:42 PM »
Norm, Wojo recruited all these non-shooters. Sorry man, he drives the bus, hey?

Dont disagree with that at all but its not in game coaching that so many say.  When bailey n sacar were shooting well we were ranked, they havent hit a shot since

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 09:38:50 PM »
Maybe it's a bit of a reach but I feel like the supporting cast plays much differently without Markus. They may even be nervous to take it out of his hands or do something 'wrong' while he's in the game. Everyone knows Markus takes most of the shots.

When he's on the bench there's no second-guessing. The other guys have to step up and make a play. And in the past they did it by committee. Not saying that necessarily improves three-point shooting but the game plan changes. Because of the way Markus is utilized, in a way he's a detriment to his teammates. Look how often they almost feel forced to find him and defer.

Despite the misses there's still a general lack of movement and good shots. How many tonight were easy looks (not threes but inside)? I can barely remember more than a handful.

Thank you.   Well stated

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 09:44:55 PM »
Dont disagree with that at all but its not in game coaching that so many say.  When bailey n sacar were shooting well we were ranked, they havent hit a shot since
There's an old saying about doing the same thing over and over again (like relying on the Bailey & Sacar) and expecting a different outcome.............. oh yeah, it's called INSANITY!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 09:51:05 PM »

Despite the misses there's still a general lack of movement and good shots. How many tonight were easy looks (not threes but inside)? I can barely remember more than a handful. This team has guys who are capable finishers around the basket if they are set up properly. Really comes back to the lack of a true PG.

Umm you are wrong
Sacar missed 4 layups tonight
Guys get wide open shots n simply are missing them

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 09:52:03 PM »
There's an old saying about doing the same thing over and over again (like relying on the Bailey & Sacar) and expecting a different outcome.............. oh yeah, it's called INSANITY!

Sooo ur proposing some midseason trades?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 09:54:11 PM »
John Beilein.

Tanned. Rested. Ready.

Death on call

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 09:57:53 PM »
Sooo ur proposing some midseason trades?
Can we?

Actually, how about running the offense through the post? Maybe some motion offense or maybe some backdoor cuts ala Princeton. I don't paid $2MM per year to coach MU and didn't learn from the best coach of our generation for 20 years. I do know what MU is doing is not working yet our coach keeps with it. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 10:00:52 PM »
John Beilein.

Tanned. Rested. Ready.

Interesting thought keefe.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 10:08:14 PM »
Our offense is the so-called motion offense. The last 5-6 minutes tonight it was the most stagnant offense you could imagine. Yeah, Markus kept driving with negligible results, but what option did he have? He gets no help, and when he gets no call, the result is what you got tonight.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 10:13:35 PM »
If we could get Beilein that would be amazing.  Im not sure this program is capable of getting a big name at this point anymore.   Its got to be an over achiever up and comer.  But id take beilein in a heartbeat.  He might just be enough to keep garcia

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 10:34:22 PM »

+100

Watch Sacar during the last play of the SHU game. He brings the ball up, crosses half court and immediately starts looking for Markus.

If you don't remember, he finds Markus, passes to him, who, in turn, dribbles straight into two defenders and loses the ball.

Game over. The Wojo tenure all in one play.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 10:44:43 PM »
I think Wojo's X's and O's are mostly fine but we're in year 6. We shouldn't have a roster that's this talent deficient.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2020, 10:52:05 PM »
I think Wojo's X's and O's are mostly fine but we're in year 6. We shouldn't have a roster that's this talent deficient.

This i can agree with

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 10:55:51 PM »
And against @Butler the others shot 60% from 3 while Markus was 4-18.

Regardless this is the team Wojo built.  In year 6.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 11:06:10 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2020, 11:04:30 PM »
This i can agree with

Well, the Hausers leaving late in the semester helped create this problem.  And were hard to replace late in the recruiting season. 

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 11:08:10 PM »

Wow.....

You need to learn how basketball is played sir.  His X's and O's are among the worst in Big East play.  His offense is complete garbage along with spotty defensive play.  There's absolutely no cohesion on offense and defensively all Wojo has shown is a pathetic zone.  Did we not see the games where Wojo's team didn't know when to foul?  Do you understand how simple this offense really is?  Do you not see how your coach has lost 3 games this year alone?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 11:11:15 PM »
Wow.....

You need to learn how basketball is played sir.  His X's and O's are among the worst in Big East play.  His offense is complete garbage along with spotty defensive play.  There's absolutely no cohesion on offense and defensively all Wojo has shown is a pathetic zone.  Did we not see the games where Wojo's team didn't know when to foul?  Do you understand how simple this offense really is?  Do you not see how your coach has lost 3 games this year alone?

Not sure why I'm dignifying this with a response since you didn't even address what I said, but...

Not fouling has nothing to do with Xs and Os.

We scheme tons of open shots. Most of the time, we don't make them. That's on talent level and/or player development.

I've already said tonight that barring a sweet 16 or a BET title, I'm fine with him being gone.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2020, 11:37:22 AM »
+100

Watch Sacar during the last play of the SHU game. He brings the ball up, crosses half court and immediately starts looking for Markus.

If you don't remember, he finds Markus, passes to him, who, in turn, dribbles straight into two defenders and loses the ball.

Game over. The Wojo tenure all in one play.

Yup. That's what has been most frustrating, especially this year. As impressive as Markus has been at times, and as much as I appreciate his scoring record, he forces too much. A lot of the blame falls on Wojo, some on Markus as well. Wojo has not only allowed it to happen consistently, he prefers it. Too often Howard has dribbled himself to a turnover while doubled teamed. He's too short to find guys and complete passes a taller guard would make.

Remember how Koby and Sacar had to step up and not second guess anything during a few comeback games earlier in the year? They whole team has 'find Markus' mode ingrained in their head while he's in. Understandable to an extent, but I have to imagine that affects their confidence at times.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 06:49:10 PM »
Well, the Hausers leaving late in the semester helped create this problem.  And were hard to replace late in the recruiting season.

Another set of circumstances that Woj totally mishandled, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback