[Today at 07:34:38 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Our Fans Suck  (Read 27782 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Our Fans Suck
« Reply #75 on: February 29, 2020, 10:07:34 PM »
Mother Goose,

You and I have given Marquette a significant amount of money over the years. I dare say that frames what constitutes a definitive supporter of the program.

Sadly, our financial support is on hold until we see better results which is, of course, our right.

I would hazard to say many questioning loyalty to the program have not given so much as a six pack’s worth of cash to Marquette. I find the irony in that is rather delicious.

What a douche.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #76 on: February 29, 2020, 10:07:39 PM »
I find the hubris rather galling. It’s akin to the guest of a country club member complaining that his complimentary Dom Perignon isn’t chilled to his precise demanding specifications.

Death on call

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: February 29, 2020, 10:20:48 PM »
I was a season ticket holder for many years. 18 or so times a year I drove 150 miles round trip to support the team. When seniors were honored  before the game I made sure to arrive early. When the ceremony was post game I stayed late. My preference. My choice. Never once did I sit in judgement of my fellow Marquette fans who couldn’t arrive early/stay late or just didn’t want to. These internecine battles over who is and who isn’t a “good fan” are pathetic and pointless. It’s “We are Marquette” not “We are Marquette and you’re not”. Talk about entitled. Pot meet kettle.

Well said.  It's not a surprise to see that the venn diagram of 'people who defend Wojo at every turn' and ' people who constantly whine about the fans' is a full circle.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #78 on: February 29, 2020, 10:32:44 PM »
Well said.  It's not a surprise to see that the venn diagram of 'people who defend Wojo at every turn' and ' people who constantly whine about the fans' is a full circle.

Aren’t they ones who have their wallets welded to their asscheeks when it’s time to pony up for the University or the Basketball team?

And with regard to Lenny, the man speaks with a wisdom which conveys considerable insight. 

Like Mr Bernstein I would stay out of respect to the kids and their families. As an Air Force Colonel I appreciate tradition and recognition. And like Lenny I would not pass judgment on those who choose to leave. Live and let live.

Death on call

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2020, 12:22:12 AM »
I love when the meat eating lovers go into their rants about how charitable they are. There is nothing better than letting everyone know how much money you donate.

Without the money you are DePaul. That’s the way it goes, like it or not.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2020, 12:24:06 AM »
Without the money you are DePaul. That’s the way it goes, like it or not.

Yeah. Like I said, nothing better than letting anonymous people on the internet know you donate a lot of money.

Thank you for your service Keefer, Goose, and Badreporter.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2020, 12:45:30 AM »
6 years in and this team is fighting for 5th in a 10 team conference with an First team All-American.    Let that sink in.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2020, 12:56:39 AM »
6 years in and this team is fighting for 5th in a 10 team conference with an First team All-American.    Let that sink in.

Coming off of a 2nd place finish in a 10 team conference. What’s your point?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2020, 01:04:52 AM »
Manes

I have never said anything about my financial support of the program or university. Not exactly sure why you and others feel a need to group people on here.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2020, 01:05:13 AM »
Coming off of a 2nd place finish in a 10 team conference. What’s your point?

Ummm.... we should have won the conference last year, so what’s your point?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2020, 01:06:19 AM »

Let's drown our sorrows this week. Miller's Guild on 6th & Stewart for Happy Hour. Pick the day.

Death on call

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2020, 04:50:48 AM »
All I see in this thread is a bunch of people proving the original poster’s point that our fans do suck. “They aren’t good so we don’t stay.” That’s the definition of a fair weather fan.

And to the fans chanting “fire Wojo” in the middle of the game, explain to me how that helps our program?  We want to drive recruits away? 

Our fan base is a bunch of f*cking idiots.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2020, 06:05:11 AM »
All I see in this thread is a bunch of people proving the original poster’s point that our fans do suck. “They aren’t good so we don’t stay.” That’s the definition of a fair weather fan.

And to the fans chanting “fire Wojo” in the middle of the game, explain to me how that helps our program?  We want to drive recruits away? 

How it could help the program?  By getting a coach who will be better in the long run, and not be too concerned about the short term ramifications.

Not that I think chanting it was appropriate, but I can most definitely understand how replacing Wojo can benefit the program.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2020, 06:11:07 AM »
I was a season ticket holder for many years. 18 or so times a year I drove 150 miles round trip to support the team. When seniors were honored  before the game I made sure to arrive early. When the ceremony was post game I stayed late. My preference. My choice. Never once did I sit in judgement of my fellow Marquette fans who couldn’t arrive early/stay late or just didn’t want to. These internecine battles over who is and who isn’t a “good fan” are pathetic and pointless. It’s “We are Marquette” not “We are Marquette and you’re not”. Talk about entitled. Pot meet kettle.
This whole “Marquette has an entitled fanbase of unrealistic, ungrateful people” narrative taking over this board the last couple weeks is the most ridiculous nonsense of all narratives to take over this board. And there have been some doozies.
No Finish Line

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2020, 06:36:07 AM »
Agreed. But it won't sink in with that crowd. Their typical attitude and response is that you are a whiny entitled douche, poor fan, jerk etc. Blame others, call them names  challenge their fandom, etc. Likely 95 plus percent who post here are fans, but there certainly is diversity in what as a fan must be accepted. If a fan expects to see MU winning 20 plus games, compete for conference titles, win games in the BEast tourney and make runs in the dance, they should just shut up about it and not criticize the "upward trajectory Wojo has us on" If you do, then the name calling begins.
What is really funny is the increased volume from the name callers on this board. Could it be that some may not be real happy about the product after 6 years?
As that great philosopher, Rodney King once opined, Cant we all just get along?
Or even better, grab the popcorn because there is more to come. Hope we win next 2 against the cellar of BEast so we can defend another middle of the pack season.
Wonder what will explode if we lose to DePaul.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2020, 06:44:52 AM »

I have said numerous times I don't condone the booing...however, playing devil's advocate here, doesn't that say something to you?? Sure the fans are idiots..but..that being said doesn't it say to you that maybe, just maybe the program should be in a better place then it is currently, and thus you wouldn't have people booing the Coach?? Novel concept, I know. I don't ever remember people chanting Fire Crean or fire buzz the way they have with Wojo. What does that say to you??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2020, 06:54:28 AM »
The problem with all this nonsense about the fan base is that people are leaving out an important aspect...that, for the most part, our fan base knows what a well coached team looks like. Under Wojo, we have yet to see it.

For as accomplished Howard is as a scorer, he’s not well coached. He’s a scoring novelty act to the detriment of team success. Go ahead and cite our record when he scores 30 points, blah blah blah. The fact of the matter is and has been for two years, that the rest of the team suffers as he dominates the ball, shot attempts and attention. Don’t @ me with some sabermetric bullsh*t either. It’s why the Hausers left. When a guy is taking 25
Shots a game and you find yourself  with the basketball, if affects your decision making. It has affected the development of guys like Bailey, Cain, Elliott. I think it was beginning to affect Sam’s decision making and Joey, obviously, was sick and tired of it.

Say what you want about Howard as a person. I’m sure he’s a wonderful guy. He is not and never has been a team basketball player. It’s not his game. For all you Howard defenders, I found it interesting that you thought his game vs Georgetown was his “masterpiece.” Maybe so. But why not his 50+ vs USC at Thanksgiving? Is it because he exploded for 7 assists? If that’s the case, shouldn’t you be mentioning that he had exactly zero assists at halftime yesterday?

When the university is practically begging people to appreciate a kid who scores like he does there is something rotten in Denmark.

Marquette has a proud tradition and for him to be as polarizing as he clearly is speaks volumes.

Don’t believe me? Listen to the FS1 studio analysts. They’re beating us over the head with it every game. “Get teammates involved” seems to be a recurring theme.

For whatever reason, Wojo refuses to see the issue with this team. It is glaring and that’s why the “note” was written. Those boys were begging for him to coach the team. Letting Howard run wild has been the easy way out and Wojo has chosen that path.

I will also say student booing of the coach seems a little unusual. Has it occurred to anybody that the students doing the booing may actually be booing as a result of conversations with players...their fellow students? Who interacts with the team more than the students? Wagging your fingers at these kids is ridiculous.

If we took a step or two back if Wojo left, I’d be fine with it. What we are watching isn’t an enjoyable product. Like I said, it’s a novelty act. NCAA or not, give me a team that works together over what we are watching.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2020, 06:57:30 AM »
Guru
I noted last week that I did not remember the students being this negative since Dukiet era. I have no idea on how many students are frustrated, possibly a very small segment, but it is something I can remember occurring in quite some time.

One question, isn’t our fan base roughly from the same from the NIT year that was prandin send on here for a couple of weeks? I guess they were great, but now suck.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2020, 06:58:06 AM »
PRN

Spot on from word one. Well done.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2020, 07:15:11 AM »
PRN has been overly harsh on Markus, but he is right here.  The problem I have with Wojo is that he rides his alpha players to a point where it is a detriment to the team.  It started with Henry, and now continues with Markus.  And will likely continue with Dawson in the future.  It oftentimes works well, but when it doesn't, results in a stagnant offense and way too many turnovers.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2020, 07:31:10 AM »
PRN

Spot on from word one. Well done.

Goose, I am surprised you are in lockstep with a guy who believes Markus is a "cancer" - his word - but is now saying, "I'm sure he is a wonderful guy." The latter is something he clearly does not believe, given that "a cancer," by definition, is not a "wonderful guy."

Here, the Scooper you are saying is "spot on" is trying to have it both ways. He knows that if he came out and called Markus a cancer again, his entire post would be summarily dismissed by anybody with an ounce of decency.

Markus is not a perfect basketball player. Like every other player ever, he has flaws. And Wojo certainly could have done a better job coaching him - and every other Warrior under his charge. Although I generally have supported Wojo and have truly appreciated Markus, there have been many times over these past couple of seasons that I have shouted at the TV: "So-and-so is open - pass the ball, Markus!" It's similar to what many folks said about a 25-year-old Michael Jordan. (Note: I am NOT comparing Markus to Michael, except for the fact that both had/have the "gunner gene.")

Having said all that ...

Markus has been nothing but a tremendous representative of our university. For 4 years now, I have been watching him, reading articles about him, hearing coaches and other professional basketball observers talk about him, and reading about him on this board, and nobody has provided a shred of evidence to the contrary.

Anybody who booed him on Senior Day or hassled his family last night is not just a loser; he or she is the lowest scum on the earth.

Finally, I'm not a fan of threads like this because I don't like generalizations. Obviously, all of our fans don't "suck." I also dislike the generalizations many Projos make about Nojos, and vice versa.

Have a nice day, my friend. We are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2020, 07:45:18 AM »

My point on Howard has always gone back to Wojo. I think if Howard was 20 ppg guy on a successful team he would have been loved by all. Sadly, he has become the whipping boy due to a flawed system. Wojo has build his program based off on having a gunner and it has not worked in my opinion.

It started with Carlino, who was bashed on here early and hard, and has continued Year in year out. I think that more and more folks are tired of watching that type of ball and I am in the camp.

As for Howard, I am happy he played at MU and wish he would have had more team success. You are correct, he has been an outstanding representative for MU. Anyone that booed him or his family are jag offs. While, I have not enjoyed every moment of his career, I would have given him a standing ovation for a career well done.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2020, 07:56:56 AM »
Goose, I am surprised you are in lockstep with a guy who believes Markus is a "cancer" - his word - but is now saying, "I'm sure he is a wonderful guy." The latter is something he clearly does not believe, given that "a cancer," by definition, is not a "wonderful guy."

Here, the Scooper you are saying is "spot on" is trying to have it both ways. He knows that if he came out and called Markus a cancer again, his entire post would be summarily dismissed by anybody with an ounce of decency.

Markus is not a perfect basketball player. Like every other player ever, he has flaws. And Wojo certainly could have done a better job coaching him - and every other Warrior under his charge. Although I generally have supported Wojo and have truly appreciated Markus, there have been many times over these past couple of seasons that I have shouted at the TV: "So-and-so is open - pass the ball, Markus!" It's similar to what many folks said about a 25-year-old Michael Jordan. (Note: I am NOT comparing Markus to Michael, except for the fact that both had/have the "gunner gene.")

Having said all that ...

Markus has been nothing but a tremendous representative of our university. For 4 years now, I have been watching him, reading articles about him, hearing coaches and other professional basketball observers talk about him, and reading about him on this board, and nobody has provided a shred of evidence to the contrary.

Anybody who booed him on Senior Day or hassled his family last night is not just a loser; he or she is the lowest scum on the earth.

Finally, I'm not a fan of threads like this because I don't like generalizations. Obviously, all of our fans don't "suck." I also dislike the generalizations many Projos make about Nojos, and vice versa.

Have a nice day, my friend. We are Marquette!
Do you believe in the concept of a team cancer? If so, how would you define it?

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2020, 08:00:08 AM »
Get a point guard and the system works better on offense.Unfortunately Markus was never able to play with a true one.The offense is so much better when Koby is not at the point.He does not know how to get others involved.The ball moves so much better when Symir is in game.Hopefully he is the answer next year.Still need to bring in another player that is capable to play the point in the spring otherwise if Symir goes down the season is over.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2020, 08:01:42 AM »
I was there incredibly early..100%. Did I stay for the speeches?? No, because I had another obligation I had to get to afterwards...idk if that's okay with you or not?? I listened to them on the radio I suppose that doesn't count though??

You gfy..You have been one that has 100% demonstrated here that you are fine with losses, don't mind the mediocrity etc. That's your right, but because of that, don't try to unnatural carnal knowledgeing tell me I need to stay for speeches afterwards...I support the team in many ways. I HATE when they lose(more than you can say).
Would you have stayed if the game went to OT...or would you have had the same obligation?..would have been about the same time that you would have left the building.