Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Miss the NCAA tournament??  (Read 18976 times)

skianth16

• All American
Re: Miss the NCAA tournament??
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2020, 04:00:29 PM »
MU currently 25 in NET, this loss will not drop them too much.
Win next two, finish 10-8, lose one finish 9-9.  No way they miss the NCAAs.

Yeah, we're in no matter what, but with this year's field, I would guess we could see a decent seed swing if we get 3 more wins vs just 1 more.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2020, 04:02:13 PM »
Really wanted to avoid the 7-10 seeds but its looking like the landing spot rn. I think if we win the next 3 then lose we might steal a 6 seed which is drastically better than 7 through 10

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2020, 04:09:40 PM »
Always negative.

Not always.

There has to be some allowance for bitching. Let's face it, everything isn't perfect with the program. Complaining has to be accepted - it doesn't mean people are evil, or bad fans. Bear in mind that virtually all of the "negative" posts occur because people want the program to succeed and are frustrated. I don't think folks with a ton of posts are here if they don't follow the program closely and want the best for MU.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2020, 04:10:41 PM »
Yes they are still in

Throwing out metrics, numbers etc, do they deserve to be in, based just on their quality(or lack there of) of play?? If your honest, I know how this SHOULD be answered.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2020, 04:12:18 PM »
Throwing out metrics, numbers etc, do they deserve to be in, based just on their quality(or lack there of) of play?? If your honest, I know how this SHOULD be answered.
You tell me which teams that miss the tournament "deserved" it more.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2020, 04:12:58 PM »
They are a lock, period. Lose out and they are still a lock. Not even a discussion point. Lock, lock, stone cold lock.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2020, 04:13:07 PM »
Not always.

There has to be some allowance for bitching. Let's face it, everything isn't perfect with the program. Complaining has to be accepted - it doesn't mean people are evil, or bad fans. Bear in mind that virtually all of the "negative" posts occur because people want the program to succeed and are frustrated. I don't think folks with a ton of posts are here if they don't follow the program closely and want the best for MU.

Thank you Miles, this is very well said...it's like a bunch of posters have their heads buried in the sand and don't want to accept/see reality...either that or they just don't care all that much. Why people jump on the one's that bitch is beyond me. There's problems, and denying it is just being foolish.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2020, 04:13:56 PM »
8/9 is always the toughest spot. Not sure we get in

We could lose the next 3 by 20 and we're in.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2020, 04:14:34 PM »

Yes. Because compared to other teams they deserve it. They aren't very good though.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2020, 04:15:36 PM »

Every year there's a bunch of teams that make the tourney that probably don't really deserve it, if you throw out the numbers and just look at their quality of play all year. Sadly, our very own team is one of them this year. Have they really looked like a tournament team to you this year??

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2020, 04:15:59 PM »
Yes. Because compared to other teams they deserve it. They aren't very good though.

They absolutely deserve to be in. The only people who could argue otherwise aren't watching anyone other than Marquette. The teams behind us on the bubble are flat out bad.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2020, 04:17:04 PM »
Lock for the tourney but some clown on here arguing they dont deserve it. Why don't you write a letter to Ncca and argue that. Why don't you go tell the players? what a supportive fan you are.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2020, 04:17:56 PM »
Who taught you predictive percentages? That person did not teach you correctly.

I think there's about a 40% chance they get swept at DePaul, St. John's, and 1st game of BET. At this point, they'll range from a 8-10 seed regardless.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2020, 04:18:41 PM »
Every year there's a bunch of teams that make the tourney that probably don't really deserve it, if you throw out the numbers and just look at their quality of play all year. Sadly, our very own team is one of them this year. Have they really looked like a tournament team to you this year??
Yes they look good enough to get in. Dont look good enough to make a run though I must admit.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2020, 04:22:31 PM »
They absolutely deserve to be in. The only people who could argue otherwise aren't watching anyone other than Marquette. The teams behind us on the bubble are flat out bad.

This is not a knock on you in any way shape or form because you are 100% correct, but this isn't really something to be proud of as MU fans. It's kind of like being the tallest midget.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2020, 04:23:01 PM »

Yes they should unquestionably in.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2020, 04:24:14 PM »

I was just looking at the NET rankings and I admit I know little about them.  But Minnesota (13-14) is 46 and Eastern Tennessee State (23-4) is 38. 

muguru may have a valid point.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2020, 04:27:10 PM »

I was just looking at the NET rankings and I admit I know little about them.  But Minnesota (13-14) is 46 and Eastern Tennessee State (23-4) is 38. 

muguru may have a valid point.
No its non sense. And anyways why the hell would a fan even mention this? How is saying this positive or productive in any way? They are in and the players have not quit on the season yet. Support them or dont watch jeez

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2020, 04:32:07 PM »
No its non sense. And anyways why the hell would a fan even mention this? How is saying this positive or productive in any way? They are in and the players have not quit on the season yet. Support them or dont watch jeez

I think muguru was asking a valid question. Nothing wrong with that, especially when it's about a metric that, as Minnesota especially proves, can give some odd output. 

It's also valid to ask if we should be in the tournament given Collapse II that we seem to be starting.  Losing out would only reinforce that interpretation of the season.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2020, 04:33:16 PM »
This is not a knock on you in any way shape or form because you are 100% correct, but this isn't really something to be proud of as MU fans. It's kind of like being the tallest midget.

It's addressing the question at hand. If people want to complain about underachievement, the team not being as good as they hoped, I'm fine with that and don't disagree. But raising the "will we make the tournament" question is just stupidity on display.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2020, 04:40:32 PM »
Marquette is undefeated against teams who will not make the tournament (as of today, looking at Prov) so it’s hard to argue against them being included advanced metrics aside. Only 4-10 against tourney teams though. Pretty much what’s been said on here recently. Beat the teams you should, lose to the teams you should.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2020, 04:41:40 PM »
I think muguru was asking a valid question. Nothing wrong with that, especially when it's about a metric that, as Minnesota especially proves, can give some odd output. 

It's also valid to ask if we should be in the tournament given Collapse II that we seem to be starting.  Losing out would only reinforce that interpretation of the season.
What fan would even argue that their own team shouldn't be in? it doesn't even make sense to me. Yeah they dont deserve to be in and it sucks that they will be right. Goofball guru doesnt make the calls for obvious reasons. Any metric used by the commitee would have us obviously in the tournament right now. If we lose the next 3 which I seriously doubt we will, I will admit you might have a small point.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2020, 04:43:47 PM »

This is just stupid talk. Getting into the NCAA tournament is an accomplish no matter what. 36 teams get an at large bid while 32 get in win the conference tournament. Since most of those 32 conferences suck Marquette is likely a top 30 team in the country. You are complaining that MU is better than 300 other teams that isn’t an accomplishment. You really are delusional. We may not go deep but you win one game and you are realistically in the top 32 teams.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2020, 04:44:53 PM »
They are a lock, period. Lose out and they are still a lock. Not even a discussion point. Lock, lock, stone cold lock.

Yeah but Keefe and Guru and Ners and 5$ disagree. So you’re wrong. F stats. F Q1-2 wins. They are right. You’re wrong.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2020, 04:56:57 PM »
Yeah but Keefe and Guru and Ners and 5$ disagree. So you’re wrong. F stats. F Q1-2 wins. They are right. You’re wrong.

Again...I said ignore the metrics, and this is where the good old eye test comes in...if you have watched enough CBB this year and have seen other teams enough...does this team really and truly look/play like an NCAA tournament team to you?? Ignore the fact that they have to take 68 teams, and that other teams will be in there that don't really deserve to be either, but in a typical year, would you say they are NCAA quality with the way they have played this year?? It's an honest question..

To me, they MIGHT be..but barely, and that's the exact issue to me...You can't expect them to get in every year and get really high seeds, but I don't like them getting in and essentially backing their way in. That doesn't make me feel very good.