'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Miss the NCAA tournament??  (Read 18974 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Miss the NCAA tournament??
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2020, 05:01:05 PM »
Again...I said ignore the metrics, and this is where the good old eye test comes in...if you have watched enough CBB this year and have seen other teams enough...does this team really and truly look/play like an NCAA tournament team to you?? Ignore the fact that they have to take 68 teams, and that other teams will be in there that don't really deserve to be either, but in a typical year, would you say they are NCAA quality with the way they have played this year?? It's an honest question..

To me, they MIGHT be..but barely, and that's the exact issue to me...You can't expect them to get in every year and get really high seeds, but I don't like them getting in and essentially backing their way in. That doesn't make me feel very good.
Some games they absolutely do look like they belong and could win some games.  Some games they look like a bubble team. In 2-4 games this year have they looked like they don’t belong in the tournament.

That is why they are in the 7-10 seed conversation.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 05:03:38 PM by ATL MU Warrior »

Class71

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2020, 05:01:55 PM »
Have you ever been a MU fan? Honest question. Rarely seen you say something positive.

Keefe was a fan before  Wojo.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2020, 05:05:54 PM »
Keefe

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2020, 05:06:30 PM »
Again...I said ignore the metrics, and this is where the good old eye test comes in...if you have watched enough CBB this year and have seen other teams enough...does this team really and truly look/play like an NCAA tournament team to you?? Ignore the fact that they have to take 68 teams, and that other teams will be in there that don't really deserve to be either, but in a typical year, would you say they are NCAA quality with the way they have played this year?? It's an honest question..

To me, they MIGHT be..but barely, and that's the exact issue to me...You can't expect them to get in every year and get really high seeds, but I don't like them getting in and essentially backing their way in. That doesn't make me feel very good.

You’d have to define what a “typical” year is, but I’d probably give you that. I think this team would have gotten buried in the old big east and I thought that one buzz team that snuck in as an 11 seed and went to the sweet16 was way better. That team probably wins this conference. It’s all relative. They deserve to be in this year more than the teams that will just miss the tournament. Call it luck if you want but MU should and will be in. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2020, 05:15:34 PM »

You claim to watch a lot of college basketball. But you can’t see how much crap teams are out there?  Marquette is a near lock. They likely won’t do much, but they are a near lock.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2020, 05:32:04 PM »
You claim to watch a lot of college basketball. But you can’t see how much crap teams are out there?  Marquette is a near lock. They likely won’t do much, but they are a near lock.

Yes, I know how much crap teams out there, the question from me Sultan wasn't whether they WOULD get in, they will, the question was do they really deserve to get in?? Keep in mind just because other teams that will be there don't deserve to be either, doesn't necessarily mean MU deserves to be. Am I glad they will get in?? Yes, but I'd rather they would be in convincingly, what I mean by that is rather then because they have to fill the field. Being the best of a bad lot doesn't exude much confidence is what I'm saying.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2020, 05:50:48 PM »
Yes, I know how much crap teams out there, the question from me Sultan wasn't whether they WOULD get in, they will, the question was do they really deserve to get in?? Keep in mind just because other teams that will be there don't deserve to be either, doesn't necessarily mean MU deserves to be. Am I glad they will get in?? Yes, but I'd rather they would be in convincingly, what I mean by that is rather then because they have to fill the field. Being the best of a bad lot doesn't exude much confidence is what I'm saying.
Can you please define the number of teams that "deserve" to get in this year?

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2020, 05:59:51 PM »

Yes, let’s compare THIS year’s team to teams in last year’s field, heck let’s throw in next year’s field, to determine if we are a tourney team this year.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2020, 06:00:31 PM »
Can you please define the number of teams that "deserve" to get in this year?

Just counting at large only teams..for my money..20-25 maximum.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2020, 06:20:57 PM »
Any team that finishes in the top 30-40 of Division 1 deserves to be in the NCAA tournament.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2020, 06:30:46 PM »

Of course they deserve to get in.

Is this your new, dumb talking point?  “Sure Wojo made the tournament, but he didn’t DESERVE to!!!”

🙄🙄🙄
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2020, 07:07:54 PM »
We could lose out and probably still make the NCAA. 

Sadly, Greg Gard has UW trending in the right direction having won 6 of their last 7 with wins over #'s 7, 8, 25, 31 and 12 in KenPom.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2020, 07:18:18 PM »
Keefe

Thanks for posting.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2020, 07:21:31 PM »
Goose

Thank you for posting thanking keefe for posting.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2020, 07:37:10 PM »
Why are any of you here worried about seeding???????!!!!

We could easily lose big to a mid major or beat a top 3 seed team if the 3s go down.  This team no shows so randomly you never know what team is going to show up.   

Goose

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2020, 07:39:29 PM »
They beat one decent team all season. They will make the tourney, but I have no idea how anyone can truly be excited about the Wojo era.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:42:41 PM by Goose »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2020, 07:40:08 PM »
Why are any of you here worried about seeding???????!!!!

We could easily lose big to a mid major or beat a top 3 seed team if the 3s go down.  This team no shows so randomly you never know what team is going to show up.
This is the most positive thing you've ever said

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2020, 07:43:04 PM »

Have you watched the last 4 games?  Other than against a depleted GT team at home. they have been awful.

Did you watch the end of last year?

Get back from the ledge. 5% chance that happens at most

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 29, 2020, 07:44:52 PM »
+1   maybe wojo gets lucky and wins tourney game and a desperate bottom feeder P5 school takes him off Marquette's hands.

They beat one decent team all season. They will make the tourney, but I have no idea how anyone can truly be excited about the Wojo era.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2020, 07:47:19 PM »

I think it’s hilarious how often you’ve changed your tune this year. Just 2 weeks ago you were talking about how you knew the team had no shot of advancing in the Tourney last season but this season you wouldn’t be surprised if they made the second weekend. Now it’s all doom and gloom about how many “decent teams” MU has beat this season.

For someone who “knows ball,” I’d think your mood on the team would remain very steady from start to finish. Not the case. Maybe they fooled your superior knowledge for a period of time.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2020, 07:48:45 PM »
+1   maybe wojo gets lucky and wins tourney game and a desperate bottom feeder P5 school takes him off Marquette's hands.

If Wojo wins a tournament game and leaves, all you’ll read about on here is how our entitled fan base drove him away.  His departure would have  absolutely nothing to do with the fact that his best player is leaving and he wants to get out while the getting is good and restart his coaching clock.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2020, 07:50:58 PM »
Manes

College ball is at an all time low and they very possibly could get a win or two. Here is a consistent stance, Wojo is in over his head.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2020, 09:18:24 PM »
"For someone who “knows ball,” I’d think your mood on the team would remain very steady from start to finish. Not the case. Maybe they fooled your superior knowledge for a period of time."

someone who knows ball, knows things don't remain static.  goose has remained steady on his overall assessment.  goose and i have had a number of discussions in which i just hung-up and listened, yet hoping wojo was our man.  maneman-you were just waiting for a moment to attack a guy who's been willing to say things many, including me, didn't want to hear.  he's been nothing but rock steady realistic.       
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2020, 09:24:55 PM »
"For someone who “knows ball,” I’d think your mood on the team would remain very steady from start to finish. Not the case. Maybe they fooled your superior knowledge for a period of time."

someone who knows ball, knows things don't remain static.  goose has remained steady on his overall assessment.  goose and i have had a number of discussions in which i just hung-up and listened, yet hoping wojo was our man.  maneman-you were just waiting for a moment to attack a guy who's been willing to say things many, including me, didn't want to hear.  he's been nothing but rock steady realistic.     

I wasn’t waiting for anything other than the next time Goose let us all know about how much smarter about “ball” he is than everyone else.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2020, 09:53:35 PM »
If Wojo wins a tournament game and leaves, all you’ll read about on here is how our entitled fan base drove him away.  His departure would have  absolutely nothing to do with the fact that his best player is leaving and he wants to get out while the getting is good and restart his coaching clock.

Yep. If he’s smart he will move on.