[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Cheer loudly for Wojo on Sat  (Read 18910 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Cheer loudly for Wojo on Sat
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2020, 06:22:06 AM »
I had 4th row seats today (sick brag) and with about 7 min left in 2nd half I heard a fan get vocal about his displeasure with Wojo.

I have not been happy with his results and I express my displeasure here and elsewhere.  However, this guy was belligerent and personal.  He was ultimately removed as the fans around him got Security.  I have it on good authority this guy popped off to Markus’ family.

In short that is some BS.  I was bummed by the results.  However SHU is really, really talented.  They were better.  Markus’ teammates showed up a little too late.  Not a Pro-Jo but we have to keep our crap together in Public.
This is the incident TAMU was referring to. What a unnatural carnal knowledgeing absolute moron. What was he saying to Howard’s family, and why?
No Finish Line

🏀

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2020, 07:04:05 AM »
I had 4th row seats today (sick brag) and with about 7 min left in 2nd half I heard a fan get vocal about his displeasure with Wojo.

I have not been happy with his results and I express my displeasure here and elsewhere.  However, this guy was belligerent and personal.  He was ultimately removed as the fans around him got Security.  I have it on good authority this guy popped off to Markus’ family.

In short that is some BS.  I was bummed by the results.  However SHU is really, really talented.  They were better.  Markus’ teammates showed up a little too late.  Not a Pro-Jo but we have to keep our crap together in Public.

Dave Hauser still has tickets?

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2020, 08:17:22 AM »
We stayed for the post-game speeches as we always do. As we sit up high we frankly did not hear the mud game Fire Wojo comments, and knew nothing about the guy ejected for yelling at the Howards. I am sad to hear about both, frankly.
I thought Markus’s comments made it very clear how he feels about Wojo, and I turned to my friends and said that to me it was clear he didn’t like the negative stuff. I also thought that people cheered because it was Markus being heartfelt,  not out of support for Wojo necessarily. We cheered because it’s how we roll in general.
We will be out in NYC, I hope there is nothing but full-throated support out there.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2020, 08:33:35 AM »
This is the incident TAMU was referring to. What a unnatural carnal knowledgeing absolute moron. What was he saying to Howard’s family, and why?

Something to the effect “I have given more to this University than you ever will!”  I did not hear that just the rant.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2020, 08:52:16 AM »
Something to the effect “I have given more to this University than you ever will!”  I did not hear that just the rant.
My god what a loser. I feel bad for anyone in his life. That is truly pathetic.
No Finish Line

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2020, 09:48:30 AM »

Keefe was at the game?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2020, 09:49:16 AM »

Sounds like a Scooper.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2020, 12:16:37 PM »
Folks get brave under da influence, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2020, 12:23:56 PM »
Keefe was at the game?

Laughed at this.

Dave Hauser still has tickets?

And this.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2020, 12:31:32 PM »
When I saw Wojo walk briskly off the court after the speeches, he seemed a little more pissed than usual after a loss.
I believe Wojo can take the boos.
I don’t think Wojo can handle people/fans attacking either his players or their families...and IMHO, this was the last straw. He's not staying at a place that events like this happen.
He’s disgusted by it, and since he couldn’t control it he feels he let the Howards down. Unfortunately, other families were close by as well.
Even prior to this happening yesterday, I have heard an interview with Stan this week, Watching the game when I got home we saw Stan take over the huddle. Just a guess at this point, but I see Wojo leaving and setting Stan up for the job. Killings stays on under Stan to save Oso and Lewis. Dawson..IDK.
Just a hunch. But that seemed too much for Wojo to take, especially on such a special day for the family.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2020, 12:34:43 PM »
When I saw Wojo walk briskly off the court after the speeches, he seemed a little more pissed than usual after a loss.
I don’t think Wojo can handle people/fans attacking either his players or their families...and IMHO, this was the last straw. He's not staying at a place that events like this happen.
He’s disgusted by it, and since he couldn’t control it he feels he let the Howards down. Unfortunately, other families were close by as well.

There's a good deal of speculation here. Unless the parents mentioned it to him pre-ceremony, I would be surprised if he was aware of it in-game.

bsabreboy

• Walk-On
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2020, 12:37:01 PM »
Give WOJO one more year and see what he does with this recruiting class.  He needs to develop his players and get more out of them and keep the talented one.  Let's see if he improves.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2020, 12:46:08 PM »
Even prior to this happening yesterday, I have heard an interview with Stan this week, Watching the game when I got home we saw Stan take over the huddle. Just a guess at this point, but I see Wojo leaving and setting Stan up for the job. Killings stays on under Stan to save Oso and Lewis. Dawson..IDK.
Just a hunch. But that seemed too much for Wojo to take, especially on such a special day for the family.

And other than being hired to bring Howard from ASU, Saint Stan has done what to prove he’s ready for a high major head coaching job?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2020, 12:51:49 PM »
I thought it was very telling that Wojo got a loud cheer during Markus’ speech.  Those who are willing to support the coach also were there to support the players despite a tough day.   Those who choose to boo couldn’t wait to get out of there. 

Those who think it’s soft to be affected by boos are living in a fantasy world.  We all would be.  It’s not that you’re packing up and leaving it, but you’re willing to listen when you don’t feel wanted...just like any job.  It probably isn’t a coincidence that any recent coach to get to the sweet sixteen has chosen greener pastures.

Yep, I definitely cheered, whistled, and clapped a little louder when Markus said Wojo’s name. When I saw the cameraman making his way to the coaches lineup, I thought, c’mon crowd when Wojo’s mug is on the big screen, cheer, please.

As much criticism as he might deserve, he might also deserve some for the three outstanding men and basketball players who left it all on the court yesterday and for the last 1-5 years. Props to those who stayed and cheered, no judgement for those that chose not to or couldn’t. I would recommend finding the speech from Markus, proud MU Family moment.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2020, 01:56:54 PM »
And other than being hired to bring Howard from ASU, Saint Stan has done what to prove he’s ready for a high major head coaching job?
See Xavier. Sean Miller. Chris Mack. Travis Steele. Mullin at STJ. Assistant coaches have been promoted for many coaching cycles. Same can be said for Crean and Buzz(not including 1 year as HC at UNO).
What did Buzz prove to get promoted to a high major?
Plenty of assistant coaches get high major coaching jobs.
Stan is very well connected to the west coast. Markus, Brendan, Jayce, and Oso all came here to play for Stan.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2020, 02:10:57 PM »
See Xavier. Sean Miller. Chris Mack. Travis Steele. Mullin at STJ. Assistant coaches have been promoted for many coaching cycles. Same can be said for Crean and Buzz(not including 1 year as HC at UNO).
Stan is very well connected to the west coast. Markus, Brendan, Jayce, and Oso all came here to play for Stan.

It really depends on how/why the coach leaves I think. Many of the coaches you mentioned had success and left for greener pastures and it made sense to hire an assistant to try and keep the momentum going. If Wojo leaves after this year, the perception will be that he couldn’t handle it here and I don’t think it would sit well to hire one of his assistants regardless of how capable they may be. Although, I think the MU program would be interesting with Stan as coach.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2020, 02:16:56 PM »

Mullin wasn’t an assistant at STJ, but I’d add Butler. Matt’s, Lickliter, Stevens, Miller, then Holtmann we’re all internal promotions of assistants.

Stan is arguably more accomplished, and certainly more experienced as an assistant at the high major level, than Buzz was when he was hired. 3 diff high major stops, multiple years as an AHC, well connected and skilled recruiter.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2020, 02:34:57 PM »
Y'all.

If Wojo gets fired in an offseason, Stan is not being hired to replace him. That's loony toons.

The only way Stan would even be considered is if Wojo left after being successful here or if Wojo left midseason and Stan was named interim head coach.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2020, 02:38:29 PM »
Y'all.

If Wojo gets fired in an offseason, Stan is not being hired to replace him. That's loony toons.

The only way Stan would even be considered is if Wojo left after being successful here or if Wojo left midseason and Stan was named interim head coach.
Well duh. Only because MU will hire Greg McDermott after he gets fired for today's inexcusable 20-point loss to St. John's.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2020, 02:51:23 PM »
Y'all.

Source?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2020, 03:00:46 PM »
Y'all.

I figured this was all a hypothetical discussion if Wojo left for somewhere like Wake after this year. Cause everyone, even the most passionate NoJo, knows he’s not getting fired this year

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2020, 03:03:07 PM »
Source?

Name a high major program that has promoted an assistant coach to head coach after firing the head coach in the offseason for poor performance.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2020, 03:14:29 PM »
To be clear, I don’t think and never said Wojo is getting fired. After yesterday, I believe he’s moving on. Just my opinion.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »
Name a high major program that has promoted an assistant coach to head coach after firing the head coach in the offseason for poor performance.

Well. I guess I shouldn’t expect anything in the world of academia administration to function like the private sector. “Promote from within,” is common. Many ineffective leaders have been replaced by known, in-house, talented personnel.

Doesn’t mean you don’t evaluate external options as well. However, Stan has performed quite well in his role as lead recruiter - and therefore he’s at minimum worth an interview.

To answer your question though - I cannot name such an instance but I do not keep up closely whatsoever with the comings and goings of coaches. I do know, however, that making decisions based on “its never been done before,” is not very enlightened nor progressive.

Cottingham got skewered for hiring Buzz. Yet sometimes it’s plain as day to know if a guy has it or not. I believe Stan has “it.”

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2020, 03:26:19 PM »
To be clear, I don’t think and never said Wojo is getting fired. After yesterday, I believe he’s moving on. Just my opinion.

Wait, wut?  You think Wojo is just going to look for a new job?   That can't be what you mean.