[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo Presser  (Read 11743 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Wojo Presser
« on: February 26, 2020, 11:09:40 PM »
Def called on/out the students to show up on Saturday.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

fjm

• All American
Re: Wojo Presser
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 11:16:35 PM »
Good.

Students are spoiled. Show TFU. You have a team that is competing and just outside the top 25. We won’t always be amazing.

(Insert butt hurt ners, guru, Mike dean, 5 dollar) “yeah but!!! We lost some games”

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 11:17:27 PM »
Hopefully nicely, wouldn’t want them to run off to their safe spaces instead!

Oh I kid... for real though they don’t much like the guy so it might behoove him to extend an olive branch and try to get in their good graces.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 11:18:06 PM »
Hopefully nicely, wouldn’t want them to run off to their safe spaces instead!

Oh I kid... for real though they don’t much like the guy so it might behoove him to extend an olive branch and try to get in their good graces.

It was nicely. Referring to Sacar and Markus, he said hopefully their peers show up to send them off

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 11:22:50 PM »
It was nicely. Referring to Sacar and Markus, he said hopefully their peers show up to send them off

This was the extent of it. I don’t think Wojo really called them out explicitly. With that said, it’ll be a full house. Expecting MU to win by 10+ and the game much like the Butler game.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 11:35:46 PM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 11:36:47 PM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 11:37:13 PM »

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 01:55:22 AM »
Found it interesting around the 5:45 mark when Wojo says “I thought we were the only team that lost games” as If he hears some of the noise/complaining/booing from some of the fans... I heard some boos again tonight during intros when they said his name which was just embarrassing

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 06:36:39 AM »
I don’t know who it was off camera who told Wojo that every team but Creighton has lost three conference games in a row. Fact cheek: It is Seton Hall and Creighton.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 07:34:07 AM »
Found it interesting around the 5:45 mark when Wojo says “I thought we were the only team that lost games” as If he hears some of the noise/complaining/booing from some of the fans... I heard some boos again tonight during intros when they said his name which was just embarrassing

I laughed. I have to imagine that 40 or so years ago, his old boss was hearing boos at Duke games. The pitchforks were definitely out early in Durham for K. Hopefully Wojo gained some perspective working for someone who had major accomplishments after early struggles. Yes, our fanbase can be whiny and entitled, but that's partially born of a tremendous passion for the game and the program. If Wojo can start to find the success we all hope for, I have no doubt he'll get the support everyone in his position craves.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 07:42:05 AM »
I’ve been going to MU games since 1971 (yikes!). I have never booed our own team or coach during pregame intros. It’s embarrassing.
I appreciate the students who did show up, but there should have been more last night, they could have stayed the last few minutes until the end ( they weren’t alone in emptying out the place though) and stop the booing, please!

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 07:51:23 AM »
I laughed. I have to imagine that 40 or so years ago, his old boss was hearing boos at Duke games. The pitchforks were definitely out early in Durham for K. Hopefully Wojo gained some perspective working for someone who had major accomplishments after early struggles. Yes, our fanbase can be whiny and entitled, but that's partially born of a tremendous passion for the game and the program. If Wojo can start to find the success we all hope for, I have no doubt he'll get the support everyone in his position craves.

Can you verify that the pitchforks were “definitely” out for Coach K early in his career?  Also, the MU fan base is really no different than any other school where sports are a big part of the culture.  More docile than some of the big football schools, probably.  I agree that if he achieves the success we hope for, he’ll get the support.  If not, he’ll continue to be called to account with boos from students at the beginning of games.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 08:06:31 AM »
Can you verify that the pitchforks were “definitely” out for Coach K early in his career?  Also, the MU fan base is really no different than any other school where sports are a big part of the culture.  More docile than some of the big football schools, probably.  I agree that if he achieves the success we hope for, he’ll get the support.  If not, he’ll continue to be called to account with boos from students at the beginning of games.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/11/mike-krzyzewskis-humble-beginnings-as-dukes-basketball-coach/248572/
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 08:15:29 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/11/mike-krzyzewskis-humble-beginnings-as-dukes-basketball-coach/248572/

The article says Duke fans were calling for his head after year 3.  That, to me, is whiny and entitled.  Wojo’s in year 6.  In his fourth year, K won his first NCAAT game at Duke and was off to the races.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 08:26:34 AM »
The students need one (or, more likely, several of their own) to lead the way in making booing unacceptable. On political and social issues they (meaning all US college students) tend towards the herd mentality. Some honestly examine all sides of an issue or candidate but I really think that most "get religion" from the energy of a movement and join in. If the same principle could somehow be applied to acceptable behavior at Marquette games, then and only then will the booing stop. Yeah, I know. Probably wishful thinking but...do you really think they will listen to Wojo, the Administration, or...Scoop?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 08:26:40 AM »
The article says Duke fans were calling for his head after year 3.  That, to me, is whiny and entitled.  Wojo’s in year 6.  In his fourth year, K won his first NCAAT game at Duke and was off to the races.

K also had 5 years of head coaching experience before he got to Duke.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 08:37:37 AM »

The question was about fans/alum calling for his head early in his tenure.  They were. 

People being unhappy with Wojo is fine.  Having expectations is fine.  The booing is a choice.  I don’t see how it’s helpful to improving the situation, though. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 08:39:04 AM »
The students need one (or, more likely, several of their own) to lead the way in making booing unacceptable. On political and social issues they (meaning all US college students) tend towards the herd mentality. Some honestly examine all sides of an issue or candidate but I really think that most "get religion" from the energy of a movement and join in. If the same principle could somehow be applied to acceptable behavior at Marquette games, then and only then will the booing stop. Yeah, I know. Probably wishful thinking but...do you really think they will listen to Wojo, the Administration, or...Scoop?

When I was at MU that last person I would ever listen to is the dudes who were the student section cheer masters. Outside of their rah rah BS I dont think those guys knew much of anything about college basketball. How often do you think all the students get together and have people tell them hey guys dont boo? The automatic chant started with a group of like 20 dudes....the booing would be audible from the same number.

Wojo can get over it-Hes getting paid a ton of money and if some students dont like him (for any number of reasons) he should be able to accept that.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 08:46:33 AM »
When I was at MU that last person I would ever listen to is the dudes who were the student section cheer masters. Outside of their rah rah BS I dont think those guys knew much of anything about college basketball. How often do you think all the students get together and have people tell them hey guys dont boo? The automatic chant started with a group of like 20 dudes....the booing would be audible from the same number.

Wojo can get over it-Hes getting paid a ton of money and if some students dont like him (for any number of reasons) he should be able to accept that.

OK, fair enough as I did not make myself clear.

I was thinking of an editorial in the Marquette Tribune or students at the games shouting down the boo-ers. I know its a long shot and yeah, Wojo has to learn to take it. You are right about the cheerleaders though. Booing is really a bad look to prospects and makes Marquette student fans look like a bunch of morons even though many are not booing.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 08:51:09 AM »
If not, he’ll continue to be called to account with boos from students at the beginning of games.

Calling to account would be not showing up at games. Booing is just whiny crybaby BS because Wojo didn't get you a pony for Christmas.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 08:52:02 AM »
100% Agree the booing is embarrassing and counter-productive.  There are recruits sitting there taking the game in and the lead ambassador for your program that has that recruit there is getting booed?  So yea, by booing I do believe you are actually making the program worse if even one recruit hears it and counts it as a reason to not come to MU.  Most recruits have plenty of other options, why give them a reason to go elsewhere.

Wade-A-Minute

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2020, 08:54:54 AM »
The rest of the fiserv Forum crowd should boo the student section when they are announced.....the best student section in the country....what a joke.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 09:06:28 AM »
The rest of the fiserv Forum crowd should boo the student section when they are announced.....the best student section in the country....what a joke.

This.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter