[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 3 game conference losing streak  (Read 7376 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
3 game conference losing streak
« on: February 23, 2020, 11:54:57 AM »
For the emotionally impaired, here are some of the teams in our league with a 3 game or longer conference losing streak so far

Villanova
Butler (if they lose next game they will have done it twice)
Xavier
DePaul (twice)
Georgetown
Providence
Marquette
St Johns (three times)

Seton Hall had a 2 gamer and won at the buzzer at home last time out to avoid 3 games.

Creighton has had a 2 gamer

Stop the pants pissing.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: 3 game conference losing streak
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 12:12:24 PM »
DePaul lost three in a row, twice!........ whew, I feel better now. Thank you for putting things in perspective.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 12:19:49 PM »
Assuming we get the usual results in March:

No BET title, no NCAA wins what are your talking points then?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 12:20:43 PM »
This is very reassuring...if we’re looking at this 3 game skid in a vacuum. Unfortunately that’s not how things work so this isn’t reassuring at all.
No Finish Line

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 12:20:53 PM »
For the emotionally impaired, here are some of the teams in our league with a 3 game or longer conference losing streak so far

Villanova
Xavier
DePaul (twice)
Georgetown
Providence
Marquette
St Johns (three times)

Seton Hall had a 2 gamer and won at the buzzer at home last time out to avoid 3 games.

Stop the pants pissing.

Exactly. A little perspective is good.

Marquette, by birthright, is apparently above a three game losing streak.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 12:30:27 PM »
De Paul has actually done it eight times.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 12:33:42 PM »
Can you add analysis for these three game losing streaks, were the teams essentially out of the game by the 7 minute mark for all three games?

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 12:36:46 PM »
I don't think the fact that we have a three game losing streak is what is so upsetting...but it is the timing of it.  It finally appeared like this team was getting it and coming together when we played the Butler game.  I think clearly our best team win of the season and most complete game overall.  And we all started salivating as to what could be.  I know I did.  I was looking at the standings and thinking perhaps the Seton Hall game could be for a spot a top the Big East.  I even told a friend I would have to eat my words that we were a middle of the road team this year.....

And then we were deflated.

And then we realized we had seen this script before.

And then we were deflated, again.

You have heard of the double doink.  This is the double deflation.  Even the blue pill does not help this. 

This is a full on Wojocollapski.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 12:40:37 PM »
I don't think this thread is having the effect it was intended to.

joparks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 12:50:36 PM »
Can you add analysis for these three game losing streaks, were the teams essentially out of the game by the 7 minute mark for all three games?

Excellent point, and you beat me to it.  Our current 3 game skid wasn't just losing on 3 last second shots.  You could say that in each of these 3 games, the team wasn't ready to play and vanished for large portions of the game.  Nova was a 28 minute death march until Wojo took his starters out down 18 and Nova was lulled into sleep.  It almost cost V.  Creighton took it to MU right from the start and had an answer to every run they had.  Every time MU got to within 5 or 6, it slid back to 9 or 11 immediately.  Yesterday, Marquette didn't show up at all.  This is a 3 game losing streak but there have been little to no positives to take from this.  Moreover, there has been no indication that they are on the verge of breaking out of it.  So if Cheeks says others have had 3 gamers and if that was all I had to go on, fine.  The eye test is telling me this team is dead man walking and history is telling me that this coach has no answers. 

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 12:57:34 PM »
I would also like to add that the following coaches have all suffered three game losing streaks in their career:

John Wooden
Coach K
Jay Wright
Bill Self
Rick Pitino
Roy Williams
Greg McDermott
Kevin Willard
Brent Williams
Ben Howland
Shaka Smart
...and...wait for it...
Al McGuire

Need I go on?

If you repeatedly flip a coin three times in a row, believe it or not, sometimes it will come up "tails" three consecutive times (especially if, for two of those flips, your thumb is wearing a mask).

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 01:04:57 PM »
More fearful of this turning into an 8 game losing streak than a spirited finish to the season. Does anyone believe we'll sweep Georgetown, St John's and DePaul?

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 01:10:59 PM »
could not have said it better...

I was also going to ask for analysis of which of these 3 game losing streaks team had a horrific meltdowns after being 23-4 the previous year and the timing of their 3 game losing streak this year appears identical to previous years meltdown?

Excellent point, and you beat me to it.  Our current 3 game skid wasn't just losing on 3 last second shots.  You could say that in each of these 3 games, the team wasn't ready to play and vanished for large portions of the game.  Nova was a 28 minute death march until Wojo took his starters out down 18 and Nova was lulled into sleep.  It almost cost V.  Creighton took it to MU right from the start and had an answer to every run they had.  Every time MU got to within 5 or 6, it slid back to 9 or 11 immediately.  Yesterday, Marquette didn't show up at all.  This is a 3 game losing streak but there have been little to no positives to take from this.  Moreover, there has been no indication that they are on the verge of breaking out of it.  So if Cheeks says others have had 3 gamers and if that was all I had to go on, fine.  The eye test is telling me this team is dead man walking and history is telling me that this coach has no answers.

joparks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 01:15:31 PM »
Just saying, our collapse last season began with 5 minutes left at (game 28) Villanova a game where I believe MU was outscored 12-1 over the last 5 minutes.  That game followed the best game of the season: a complete team win (a year ago today) where they looked like a well oiled machine against Providence.  This year's best game was game 23, the solid win against Butler.  Since then, they have looked lost - same as they looked last year down the stretch.  I am hoping that these are just coincidences because if they aren't, this year's slide started 4 games early. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 01:19:50 PM »

Villanova
Xavier
DePaul (twice)
Georgetown
Providence
Marquette
St Johns (three times)

Stop the pants pissing.

So?? How do those teams losing three in a row make it okay that MU has?? It doesn't. Not at all...how about the fact that the only team in the BE with fewer road wins is SJU?? Does that make it okay too Cheeks?? Puhlease.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2020, 01:26:38 PM »
I would also like to add that the following coaches have all suffered three game losing streaks in their career:

John Wooden
Coach K
Jay Wright
Bill Self
Rick Pitino
Roy Williams
Greg McDermott
Kevin Willard
Brent Williams
Ben Howland
Shaka Smart
...and...wait for it...
Al McGuire

Need I go on?

If you repeatedly flip a coin three times in a row, believe it or not, sometimes it will come up "tails" three consecutive times (especially if, for two of those flips, your thumb is wearing a mask).
LOL. I think this clarifies the how stupid this topic is.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2020, 01:31:55 PM »
Gosh, this is a great post. I feel so much better. So when do we move into the top three In the BE? Hope it is soon. I assume this is part of some Wojo master plan.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 01:34:02 PM »
We’ll be fine. I got confidence Wojo and the team will turn it around

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 01:45:19 PM »
Assuming we get the usual results in March:

No BET title, no NCAA wins what are your talking points then?

Oh noes....no a Big East title.  Let’s go back and look at all the bitchers right now that said we wouldn’t even make the tournament, etc and now some are bitching because it isn’t enough in a year so many of predicted we wouldn’t even be competitive.  My God.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 01:46:48 PM »

MU chance to tie Nova with under 9 seconds in the game...hard to do your analysis when your brain allowed your fingers to type something so incorrect.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2020, 01:50:56 PM »
I don't think the fact that we have a three game losing streak is what is so upsetting...but it is the timing of it.  It finally appeared like this team was getting it and coming together when we played the Butler game.  I think clearly our best team win of the season and most complete game overall.  And we all started salivating as to what could be.  I know I did.  I was looking at the standings and thinking perhaps the Seton Hall game could be for a spot a top the Big East.  I even told a friend I would have to eat my words that we were a middle of the road team this year.....

And then we were deflated.

And then we realized we had seen this script before.

And then we were deflated, again.

You have heard of the double doink.  This is the double deflation.  Even the blue pill does not help this. 

This is a full on Wojocollapski.

Well then our fans aren’t very smart in basketball but that would be redundant for some.

I remember when I said we were going to lose at Nova and then Creighton....but so many said we were on a hot streak.  As I said then, who you play matters and our streak compared to Creighton’s was no comparison.

Who you play...matters.  When you play...matters.   Where you play...matters.  And the other side gets a major say in how it all goes.

Same clowns come here when we lose, same clowns gone when we win.  Same clowns bitching we don’t win enoug were the same clowns who said we wouldn’t win in the first place...the irony.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2020, 01:55:33 PM »

And guess what, neither was Nova’s, Providence’s, Butler, etc...none of them were on last second shots either.

And let me be so bold, if we had lost three on last second shots the same people bitching would be.....bitching and you know damn well I am 100% right on that.  So give it a rest.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2020, 01:58:16 PM »
So?? How do those teams losing three in a row make it okay that MU has?? It doesn't. Not at all...how about the fact that the only team in the BE with fewer road wins is SJU?? Does that make it okay too Cheeks?? Puhlease.

It means in a league like this it damn near happens to everyone and only the emotionally unhinged like yourself don’t understand that.   ;)

Did you teach yourself binomial distribution yet?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 02:01:41 PM by Cheeks »

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2020, 02:02:22 PM »
Never held a lead, never a chance to win.  They were run off the court to start the game as usual against quality teams and Villanova went to sleep.  Had Villanova kept the gas on, they would have won by 10-12 or more. 

MU chance to tie Nova with under 9 seconds in the game...hard to do your analysis when your brain allowed your fingers to type something so incorrect.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2020, 02:02:28 PM »
Well then our fans aren’t very smart in basketball but that would be redundant for some.

I remember when I said we were going to lose at Nova and then Creighton....but so many said we were on a hot streak.  As I said then, who you play matters and our streak compared to Creighton’s was no comparison.

Who you play...matters.  When you play...matters.   Where you play...matters.  And the other side gets a major say in how it all goes.

Same clowns come here when we lose, same clowns gone when we win.  Same clowns bitching we don’t win enoug were the same clowns who said we wouldn’t win in the first place...the irony.

You referring to other posters as clowns is really f’in funny.

5 years to judge, right?  Guards game, right?  You are the same clown who called Buzz’s team a bunch of choking dogs who pissed down their leg.

Yet here we are 5.75 through the Wojo regime and you find every possible rationalization to support the underwhelming performance.  And next year we probably regress further. #trajectory.