[Today at 05:39:36 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mc-Dammit  (Read 36336 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Mc-Dammit
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2020, 10:28:58 PM »
Heard you the first time!!  8-)

Go DePaul.

Also, welcome back. Talk about pulling away faster than a kid touching a hot stove for the first time...how was the corner you were cowering in?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2020, 10:29:36 PM »
Not really pro jo but being fair. Yes two bad performances but at the end of the day 2 single digit losses to top 15 teams. Season is by no means lost. Dont think it makes sense to just jump to conclusions and assume were mediocre or trash like troll idiot seat belt thinks. Maybe the wheels will fall off this year and I'll give you some credit. To early to really judge yet
In my opinion if the season ended today and we didn’t win our first round game the year is a complete and utter failure. Some here may not hold the team to the same standards.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2020, 10:31:17 PM »
Go DePaul.

Also, welcome back. Talk about pulling away faster than a kid touching a hot stove for the first time...how was the corner you were cowering in?
I mean I posted during the timeframe and you responded to my post saying that “it has been proven” that Wojo is a good coach.

I can’t even hope to make a meaningful point when Projos such as you are experiencing such levels of hysterical Wojo-induced euphoria.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2020, 10:32:38 PM »
Just make sure you use less teeth next time you try to calm wojo down at half

Don't worry. Someday another person will voluntarily touch you. Probably not any time soon but hopefully someday.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2020, 10:33:31 PM »
Anyone still talking about rebuilding needs to have their head examined. Markus is a senior.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2020, 10:35:03 PM »
Anyone still talking about rebuilding needs to have their head examined. Markus is a senior.
So what are we doing? Is this it? Is this the program we have?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2020, 10:37:41 PM »

A top 25 team and a likely 6 or 7 seed? Yes. That's the program we have. And that's fine.

I agree that we need to win a tournament game this year.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2020, 10:38:17 PM »
Make open shots. Defensive gameplan was mostly good. Gotta make open shots.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2020, 10:38:33 PM »

Yup. You should probably leave if you don’t like that.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2020, 10:39:00 PM »
Hope? Hope our guys find some nads and play like guys with nads. Not gonna hold my breath.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2020, 10:39:30 PM »

Yes.  And this is probably the high water mark/season.  We will take a step back next year.  End of the day, Wojo is at best a mediocre in-game coach.  Adjust expectations accordingly.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2020, 10:45:31 PM »
A top 25 team and a likely 6 or 7 seed? Yes. That's the program we have. And that's fine.

I agree that we need to win a tournament game this year.

That's what we had at 7pm today. After this loss, there's a good chance we slip from the rankings. I would think we'll land around a 7 seed, but we really need to avoid any oopsies down the stretch to make sure we keep an ok seed.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2020, 10:47:06 PM »
Perfect analysis - this is the ceiling - at best a 4th place team in big east I’m good years. Never really compete against top teams.   Accept mediocrity as that’s what’s coming as long as Wojo is here.

Yes.  And this is probably the high water mark/season.  We will take a step back next year.  End of the day, Wojo is at best a mediocre in-game coach.  Adjust expectations accordingly.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2020, 10:47:15 PM »
Make open shots. Defensive gameplan was mostly good. Gotta make open shots.
We were rushing everything early and never got in rhythm from 3.  Creighton sped us up more than we'd like. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2020, 10:47:29 PM »
That's what we had at 7pm today. After this loss, there's a good chance we slip from the rankings. I would think we'll land around a 7 seed, but we really need to avoid any oopsies down the stretch to make sure we keep an ok seed.

Let's hope hope hope we get a good matchup and hope hope hope we don't play like dogshot like we have every time there's been hype around a Wojo coached game.

Doo

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2020, 10:52:00 PM »
5 points from our bench...pathetic. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2020, 10:52:06 PM »
This thread is....pleasant.

Creighton outplayed us tonight. McDermott has put together a very good squad this year. I thought they would struggle when Epperson went down but McD has taken a weakness and turned it into a strength. Kudos to him. He has my vote for BE COY and should be a candidate for NCOY (not a winner but a candidate).

As absurd as this may sound, I think Wojo outcoached McD in the first half. I'll need to rewatch to be sure, but my impression was that our D was playing really well and forcing them into bad shots. Our O was getting wide open looks....that refused to fall. Even a slightly below average shooting night would have given us a halftime lead.

The second half, after MU's initial run to tie it, McD was the better coach. Between the first and last TV timeout, his guys were moving the ball crisply and finding wide open looks everywhere. They actually missed a few good ones that could have made this a laugher early in the half. I liked the switch to a matchup zone at the end and MU put up a good run to give themselves a chance in the in the final minutes. Credit to the Jays, they made some really tough shots in the final minutes to keep us at arm's length. Alexander had a couple of dagger threes and Damien Jefferson (IRCC) had a really difficult up and under fade away that pushed the lead out to 7.

Ners said the other day that Creighton was the best team in the Big East and I agreed with him. Tonight reinforced my opinion. I think tonight was the toughest game left on the schedule, this weekend is the third toughest IMHO, followed by the second toughest. I think the last three are the easiest. Win at least one of the next two and I'm feeling pretty good about our seed. Win both and I'm ecstatic. Lose both and I will be really nervous but our position will be recoverable.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 10:57:55 PM by TAMU Garcia »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2020, 10:52:51 PM »

If we win two more we will probably be a 7. 3-2 and we have a decent shot at a 6.

Turnaround starts saturday.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2020, 10:54:23 PM »

This was a Q1A loss. We missed an opportunity to advance, but this really won't drop us on the s-curve. We may lose a spot unless multiple of the teams below us have big weeks.
TAMU

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2020, 10:54:55 PM »

Creighton outplayed us tonight. McDermott has put together a very good squad this year. I thought they would struggle when Epperson went down but McD has taken a weakness and turned it into a strength. Kudos to him.

As absurd as this may sound, I think Wojo outcoached McD in the first half. I'll need to rewatch to be sure, but my impression was that our D was playing really well and forcing them into bad shots. Our O was getting wide open looks....that refused to fall. Even a slightly below average shooting night would have given us a halftime lead.

The second half, after MU's initial run to tie it, McD was the better coach. Between the first and last TV timeout, his guys were moving the ball everywhere and finding wide open looks everywhere. They actually missed a few good ones that could have made this a laugher early in the game. I liked the switch to a matchup zone at the end and MU put up a good run to give themselves a chance at the end. Credit to the Jays, they made some really tough shots in the final minutes to keep us at arm's length. Alexander had a couple of dagger threes and Damien Jefferson (IRCC) had a really difficult up and under fade away that pushed the lead out to 7.

Ners said the other day that Creighton was the best team in the Big East and I agreed with him. Tonight reinforced my opinion. I think tonight was the toughest game left on the schedule, this weekend is the third toughest IMHO, followed by the second toughest. I think the last three are the easiest. Win at least one of the next two and I'm feeling pretty good about our seed. Win both and I'm ecstatic. Lose both and I will be really nervous but our position will be recoverable.

I agree with everything here.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2020, 10:56:47 PM »

Creighton outplayed us tonight. McDermott has put together a very good squad this year. I thought they would struggle when Epperson went down but McD has taken a weakness and turned it into a strength. Kudos to him.

The second half, after MU's initial run to tie it, McD was the better coach. Between the first and last TV timeout, his guys were moving the ball everywhere and finding wide open looks everywhere. They actually missed a few good ones that could have made this a laugher early in the game. I liked the switch to a matchup zone at the end and MU put up a good run to give themselves a chance at the end. Credit to the Jays, they made some really tough shots in the final minutes to keep us at arm's length. Alexander had a couple of dagger threes and Damien Jefferson (IRCC) had a really difficult up and under fade away that pushed the lead out to 7.

Give me some analytics to prove that we're the 5th best Big East team and should never expect more.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2020, 10:57:58 PM »
What happens if they crap the bed at St Johns and at DePaul - after all, we have been told how hard it is to win road games in the BE?

This was a Q1A loss. We missed an opportunity to advance, but this really won't drop us on the s-curve. We may lose a spot unless multiple of the teams below us have big weeks.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2020, 11:00:44 PM »

Creighton outplayed us tonight. McDermott has put together a very good squad this year. I thought they would struggle when Epperson went down but McD has taken a weakness and turned it into a strength. Kudos to him. He has my vote for BE COY and should be a candidate for NCOY (not a winner but a candidate).

I think you might have the Georgetown and seton hall games mixed up.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2020, 11:03:54 PM »
Yup. You should probably leave if you don’t like that.

In most cases, a team with the nation's leading scorer / a top NPOY candidate, loaded with upperclassmen and in the top 10 for 3pt shooting would be expected to be pretty dominant, don't you think? Wouldn't expectations be a little higher than just spending a week or two in the rankings and hoping for a 7 seed?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2020, 11:04:14 PM »
Give me some analytics to prove that we're the 5th best Big East team and should never expect more.

Huh? I think this season we are the 3rd best (behind Creighton and Seton Hall). I see no reason to expect more in the future. The high mark for Wojo's first recruiting cycle (years 1-3) was a 10 seed. The high water mark for Wojo's second recruiting cycle (years 4-6) is currently a 5 seed (and barring a torrid end to the season will stay there). I expect the high water mark to be even higher for his third recruiting cycle and the 2020 class is a great first step towards that.
TAMU

feedback